100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@@page5 - I keep a list too. I post in the used it up thread regularly so, I have to keep a list to remember. I only post 10 items at a time but, that's too much for me to keep in my head. I am old. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I like doing it this way because the satisfaction of trashing an empty container is too satisfying to put off. 

@@page5 - I keep a list too. I post in the used it up thread regularly so, I have to keep a list to remember. I only post 10 items at a time but, that's too much for me to keep in my head. I am old. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I like doing it this way because the satisfaction of trashing an empty container is too satisfying to put off. 
I like the idea of posting every 10 items I use up - thanks for mentioning it.

Hey guys! Just having a little fun while using up products!

This is me with my Tarte detox facial deluxe sample and my GlamGlow eye-bright mud sample. Looking scary!!!!

photo 1(4).JPG

Afterwards I washed both off with a lukewarm washcloth, then applied a deluxe sample of NUDE genius facial oil, or whatever it's called.

When I woke up this morning my skin was glowing!!!! YAY for testing out all my samples!!!

BTW, I think instead of keeping all my empties throughout the 100 days, I'll just keep them for each of the 10-day chunks and will post a pic here then. Then when the 100 days is up, I'll post all 10 pics again for the full effect!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't finished up anything yet as of this year. This is an interesting challenge that will push me to use more samples. However, I have been using mostly full size / deluxe size items so it is going to take a while. Who knows when I will be able to to finish those liter sized shampoo and conditioners...

My thing I am having trouble with is keeping the containers for records/photos. Anyone else really enjoy throwing something in the trash as soon as it is finished? I guess i just don't want to keep it around for 3 months+ Anyhow, maybe i can update here every 10 days or so.
I am so excited that I will be finishing up the Healthy Sexy Hair Shampoo and Conditioner liters that I bought back in July this week! So for me...about six months, lol.

Huge bottles of shampoo and conditioner are the worst! I just found out that you can kind of use up conditioner and shampoo faster if you don't like it by repurposing it as shaving cream (for conditioner) and hand soap, body wash, nail brush cleanser, makeup brush cleanser, bath tub cleaner, even toilet cleaner (shampoo). ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Those were all tips from ladies in this forum! Shout out to all of them in the 100 day no buy slumber party thread!

For over a week I have been wearing eye shadow daily.  Unfortunately the skin on my eye lids are starting to look irritated so its time to take a break from eye shadow for at least a few days before this irritation gets worse.  I think the eye shadow base is the cause but my shadow settles in my eyelid creases if I don't wear a base.  This makes me kind of sad because I really do love eye shadow and I have a LOT of it!
I know (think) you're part of the no-buy, but you may want to consider trying another brand of eye primer. Not all formulas are the same and there may be one you can wear on your lids without irritation. 

I know (think) you're part of the no-buy, but you may want to consider trying another brand of eye primer. Not all formulas are the same and there may be one you can wear on your lids without irritation. 
Oh I forgot the same was happening to me as is to @@annatomical ! It's not the primer that is irritating my eye, but removing it. It's so hard to remove- normal makeup remover doesn't work, I have to scrub pretty hard. I wonder if I'm using too much? I use Urban Decay's original formula... but the tube is maybe 2 years old now? Maybe that's the problem? I'll try out my sample foil of the NARS version tomorrow and see if it's any better.  Today I wore eyeshadow without primer.

Oh I forgot the same was happening to me as is to @@annatomical ! It's not the primer that is irritating my eye, but removing it. It's so hard to remove- normal makeup remover doesn't work, I have to scrub pretty hard. I wonder if I'm using too much? I use Urban Decay's original formula... but the tube is maybe 2 years old now? Maybe that's the problem? I'll try out my sample foil of the NARS version tomorrow and see if it's any better.  Today I wore eyeshadow without primer.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I actually don't use makeup or eye makeup remover. Most of it was too irritating for my somewhat sensitive skin. My cleanser is gentle enough for me to double or triple cleanse, which gets all my makeup off. 

I always have to use primer or it's crease city on my eyes. I don't know how long primer is good for, but maybe yours was starting to go? I personally like the Nars one a lot more, but I just generally have issues with UD not playing well with my body chemistry. Not quite as nice as Nars, but definitely less costly with great results, are the Nyx HD primer and (surprisingly) the Coastal Scents Step One eye primer.

@@eastofthesun - I'm not sure whether or not this helps you... I have been using the same eye makeup remover as I have used every day I have worn eye makeup for the past several years. In my experience Lancome BiFacil does a great job of removing even the most heavily pigmented eye makeup.  Most days I just wear eyeliner and mascara but no eye shadow or eye shadow base.  Since the base tends to be kind of drying that's why I suspect it's causing my eyelids to feel irritated.  

I finished my inventory, and I'm definitely in for a full 100. I'm going to try to use up as many samples as I can, because I hate having foils around, it feels so cluttered to me. I like having deluxe sizes for traveling, but foils just make a mess. So yeah, foils, full size, or whatever, I'm getting to 100.

I've been watching this and I think i'm going to join in the fun! I don't really have enough samples or products to generate 100 empties, but I am going to aim for 100 things leaving my collection (trash/give away) and for at least 50 of those to be empties. I have 8 empties so far in the first 10 days, and 31 things that I have decided don't work for me, so they are out of my collection!

I've been watching this and I think i'm going to join in the fun! I don't really have enough samples or products to generate 100 empties, but I am going to aim for 100 things leaving my collection (trash/give away) and for at least 50 of those to be empties. I have 8 empties so far in the first 10 days, and 31 things that I have decided don't work for me, so they are out of my collection!
Nice progress! 

It has been a stressful past couple days.  Instead of getting antsy wanting to buy something new or just buying something new.  Instead I'm gravitating towards my stash and using what I already have.  Enjoying the things I already have is just as good if not better than shopping.

My empties for the first 10 days:

This is higher than I expected,but there was lots of low hanging fruit.

1. Clear shampoo -full size

2. Perfume Sample Card- sample card

3. Clinique Face Wash - foil

4. Clinique exfoliate - foil

5. Clinique Moisturizer - foil

6. Powder Cleanser - full size (trashed because I hated it)

7. Smashbox BB cream -sample

8. Origins Mask- sample

9 Paul Mitchel  hair serum - travel size

10. Racine Mask- single use

11. Sunday Riley Cleanser - foil

12. MUFE mascara - deluxe sample

13. Skiin eye cream -deluxe sample

14. DrJart BB Black Label - deluxe sample

15. Chella Blue eyeline - full size (why do I have blue liquid eyeliner)

16. brush

17. Mitchell and Peach body lotion - travel size

18. Embryolisse -deluxe sample

Hey guys!!!

I'm here for my 10-day progress report!

The first 10 days of the 100-day challenge, I used up 16 items (8 full size, 8 deluxe/foil size)!!!!!

photo(49).JPG

Items used:

1. Epielle collagen cleansing cloths full size (my favorite of all the Epielle cloths)
  2. Nude genius treatment oil foil sample (pretty nice)
  3. Paula's Choice Skin Balancing toner full size (holy grail hydrating toner)
  4. Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting exfoliant  full size(holy grail BHA chemical exfoliant)
  5. Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar foil sample (decent, but nothing special)
  6. Paula's Choice Resist C15 serum full size (HG vitamin C and antioxidant serum)
  7. Dr. Dennis Gross Hydrating Concentrate full size (wasn't impressed- stick to the ferulic + retinol solution)
  8. Josie Maran Argan Oil Light medium size (pretty great at sealing in moisture! But any facial oil will do)
  9. Sukin Rosehip Oil full size(awesome and cheap at TJMaxx)
  10. Ren Bioretinoid deluxe size(pretty much just rosehip oil with a bunch of plant extracts- stick to the rosehip oil)
  11. Goldbond hand lotion travel size (decent, but won't repurchase)
  12. Tarte detox mask facial deluxe size (pretty good I guess, but difficult to spread and dries out skin, next time would use as a spot treatment, but won't be repurchasing)
  13. Agave oil hair treatment tetra pack (pretty awesome, but then realized it's just full of silicones, won't purchase)
  14. Glamglow Eye Mud sample size (used 1 of the sample eye pods- pretty cool, but no discernable difference)
  15. B&BW Twilight Woods hand sanitizer travel size(a little too fragranced for my tastes)
  16. Acne.org Moisturizer full size (my HG nighttime moisturizer)

The problem with this is 8 full size isn't going to happen again for a while (I think) so we'll see, but I'm really enjoying the challenge of using things- and I'm getting a lot out of actually wearing my products instead of just keeping them around.

I feel more special too... like I'm worth it and like I'm getting use out of my money. I also feel good using things up, knowing that in the future if I see a sample of something I've used before, I know that it's either worth it to try to get that sample, or easy to pass on.

Too many times did I treat gifts with purchase like video game nuggets!!!

Now on to the next 10 days!!!

I'm late to the party but I NEED to join this thread... I have so much stuff everywhere it's driving me (and my boyfriend) crazy. We're expecting a baby in April and I need to clear out some space. I also have soooo much expired stuff I just want to throw away. I just might... and count it towards my empties because it's all about getting rid of the clutter, right? Not sure I'll be at 100 in 100 days but hopefully I'll be near. And that being said I just placed another Memebox, Sephora and Ebay order within the past days... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think I need to be on a no buy for the next 2-3 months.

This list is going to motivate me to use my stuff (and see how much I've got). Thanks for this thread!

Used up so far in January:

1. Sunbum SPF 50 sunscreen
2. Philosophy grapefruit scrub (loved it! :wub: )
3. Nivea SPF 30 lipbalm
4. Biore nose strip foil
5. Anna Sui bohème perfume sample (threw away, didn't like)
6. Juicy Couture Noire perfume sample (ditto)

Since my empty pile had been growing I wanted to see how I did the first 10 days.  

The Stats:

5 full sized items

2 deluxe sized items

17 foils

4 sample perfume vials

I know as I work through my foils my numbers will go down but I am feeling good about what I have used thus far.  I will continue to post my monthly used it up in the Offical used it up thread but will use this thread for my 10 day check ins for the 100 day no buy!

Keep up the good work everyone!

. I just might... and count it towards my empties because it's all about getting rid of the clutter, right? Not sure I'll be at 100 in 100 days but hopefully I'll be near. And that being said I just placed another Memebox, Sephora and Ebay order within the past days... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think I need to be on a no buy for the next 2-3 months.
Join us in our 100 day no-buy if you want! There are threads for it. It is never too late!

Back