100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I wasn't planning on the goal of 100 empties, just trying to use up a lot of the sample/deluxe sizes that I have. For some reason those are my weakness beacuse they are perfect for traveling or for my purse. However the one vacation and handful of mini trips a year does not justify my hoard. And while I was just starting to organize my samples I pulled out a box and went "Hmmm... what's in here?"  Oh, guess what it was? A whole box of haircare samples and minis. So I think that now I will try to aim for 100.

I've missed this thread. I generally keep track monthly in the "officially used it up" thread, but I don't set a goal of how much I use. I would guess I go through about 30 or so products a month, however, I am nearly out of foils so I'm not sure how much I will use up from here on out. But, I want to keep track! So far for January, I've used up:

1. Lush Bubble Bar (don't remember the name...the label had come off. It must be discontinued since I don't see it on Lush's site).
  2. Lush Bath Bomb-Northern Lights
  3. [SIZE=11pt]StriVectin Labs 5-Minute Weekly Glycolic Peel[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=11pt]Sexy Hair Blow Dry Volumizing Gel - deluxe size[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=11pt]Desigual Fun Perfume vial[/SIZE]

Good idea! Me too! If I get past 100, keep going!!!! Now that I'm discovering my holy grail beauty items plus colors that work on my skintone, I won't need countless samples of stuff lying around anayway!

Go you!!!! That's awesome!

I also want to save all mine and take a huge picture at the end. Hahaha, I'll keep it in my closet I guess. Right now they are in a paper gift bag on the handle of my closet door, but that'll fill up fast. I might go with a box instead of a bag... but we'll see!

ETA: I discovered another lovely product that I tested from a foil packet last night. It was a hair oil, and I just couldn't believe what it did to my hair today! Damn, may seriously consider purchasing this when my no-buy is up!
I am planning on keeping mine in the closet too.  I use a thirtyone gifts tote bin thingie for the monthly ones and I am going to take a big paper shopping sack like VS or something to keep them in after I post monthly.

I too am finding out about great products just by using them!  Who knew? lol Today I am proud of myself for wearing a product I would normally never wear (a tinted sunscreen) While I will not buy it or seek out products like it I am happy I went out of my comfort zone to try something new and got an empty out of it haha

ETA: I discovered another lovely product that I tested from a foil packet last night. It was a hair oil, and I just couldn't believe what it did to my hair today! Damn, may seriously consider purchasing this when my no-buy is up!
What is this magical elixir? I'm all about hair products and would love to know!

I just saw this thread for the first time; I'll join everyone. I would like to keep reducing my stash and I think my general goal will be 1/3 full size, 1/3 deluxe size, and 1/3 foils. I'll keep a bag of empties (even though my husband will think I'm a nut  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) and make monthly posts and see how far I can get.

Thanks for the idea - it's a good companion to the 100 day no buy

I'll join, but I'm working on 50 empties in 100 days.  I've never kept track of my empties before so I want to have an attainable goal for me.  I'm doing pretty well so far, I've got 6 empties including foils.

I'll join, but I'm working on 50 empties in 100 days.  I've never kept track of my empties before so I want to have an attainable goal for me.  I'm doing pretty well so far, I've got 6 empties including foils.
You can do it!  They add up quick!  For some reason in October I wanted to use up 31 things in 31 days and I totally went past my goal!  I do count foils as one but I try and make sure to use up a wide variety of full sizes and deluxe sized samples too.

Can't wait to see everyone's trash hauls!  (That sounds weird)  I enjoy seeing people's empties posts and mini reviews!

I'm going to join in on this one!  I have an unhealthy stash of all things beauty related, and can't seem to help myself from buying more. 

I completely forgot about the massive pile of foils and deluxe size samples I have from various sub boxes - and I never use them!  So, I'm starting with those.  Im aiming for 50 in the 100 days.  So far this month I have used up: -

Alpha H triple cleanser

Tarte eye cream

Keep me strong!

I'm going to join in on this one!  I have an unhealthy stash of all things beauty related, and can't seem to help myself from buying more. 

I completely forgot about the massive pile of foils and deluxe size samples I have from various sub boxes - and I never use them!  So, I'm starting with those.  Im aiming for 50 in the 100 days.  So far this month I have used up: -

Alpha H triple cleanser

Tarte eye cream

Keep me strong!
You can do it!  The more you use up, the more motivated you become to watch that empty pile grow!  Pledge to use one foil per day, put them in a jar or vase where you can see them and select one to use per day.  Keep the empties in another container you can see so you can be motivated by watching them grow!

Can't wait to see/read the empties!

I've been looking at this topic thinking that there is absolutely no way that I could even come close to 100 empties in 100 days. However, as of today, I am up to 7 empties and it is January 7th. Some of those were close to being empty before January, but still. I am going to try this, but I am going to count each mini and each foil as 1 product. I really have almost no foils anyway. I just don't like them so I usually throw them away. I have less than 10.

My goal is just going to be to produce as many empties as possible in 100 days. I will see how close to 100 I can get. I will be really happy with 50.

A second challenge that is related to this is to see how many days it takes me to produce 100 empties. I'm pretty certain it is going to be longer than 100 days, so I will keep going until I reach my 100th empty and track the number of days it takes.

I put a snowman gift bag from Christmas in my bathroom closet and have been throwing all of my empties in there. I am making it a goal to post what empties I have at the end of each 10 day period.

Excited to begin this challenge today! I look forward to posting my empties along with seeing others' empties posts. 

I'm so glad all you ladies are joining us! This is going to be awesome! I finished up 2 more items yesterday, but I'm not keeping count yet. I do have my bag full of at least 5 things so far, but I need to recount today!

@@Natasha01,

I've been looking at this topic thinking that there is absolutely no way that I could even come close to 100 empties in 100 days.
  I thought this same thing in the beginning, but then I decided I wanted to give it a go, and I'm doing so well, so I think I'll stay positive on this one! I'm glad you're going to try it with us!

Pledge to use one foil per day, put them in a jar or vase where you can see them and select one to use per day.
Awesome idea!

Thanks for the idea - it's a good companion to the 100 day no buy
I wholeheartedly agree!

Can't wait to see everyone's trash hauls!
Hahah, same here!

Here is what I am putting my samples in currently.  It is an empty candle jar from BBW.  I put the foils in order from smallest to largest, and based on their function/body part (can you tell I am OCD much?)

IMG_3292.JPG

I am so excited because I used up 1 foil and a card this morning alone!

Finished up:

6. Estee Lauder Advanced Time Zone Night Cream (deluxe size)

7. Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturizer (cardboard packet) I know this is a men's product, but hubby won't use it and I hate to waste samples, lol.

2. Witch Hazel Toner

Got rid of another 8 lip products, 5 eyeshadows, and a blush.. plus a facial prep spray I never use. I'm almost at where I want to be with downsizing for now. Using things up is going slow as expected but pretty much everything is going to be full size so that's okay! Keeping track and maybe I'll hit 100 by the end of the year. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For over a week I have been wearing eye shadow daily.  Unfortunately the skin on my eye lids are starting to look irritated so its time to take a break from eye shadow for at least a few days before this irritation gets worse.  I think the eye shadow base is the cause but my shadow settles in my eyelid creases if I don't wear a base.  This makes me kind of sad because I really do love eye shadow and I have a LOT of it!

So far I have gone though 12 foils which I count as 6 used items (as per my personal rules for this challenge in my first post in the thread), one f/s product, and two d/s products - for a total of 9 used items in the first week.

In order to go though product I am making it a point to exfoliate one area (face or arms or legs or upper body) daily.  I am also using more moisturizing/skincare product than normal but its not excessive.   Even though its the dead of winter, the air is super dry, and my skin feels pleasantly refreshed.

Yesterday I put a cheap pair of scissors in the bathroom so I can get into packaging with convenience and ease.  I have been putting an assortment of foils and deluxe samples in plain sight in my bathroom so they are accessible and they tempt me as I go about my routine.

Since I don't want to over-think this challenge I just want plan one week ahead.  I am really optimistic about next week's progress.  There should be no reason why I can't generate roughly as many empty items as I did this week though I think there will be fewer foils and more d/s and f/s items.

Used up my first two items today:

1. 625 ct Q-Tips (the box from Costco) ... don't worry, we have more ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And this empty was probably a combined effort of at least 2 or 3 years, just me. Hubby has his own box. That being said, don't need to repurchase, already own another box or two.

2. Crest Pro-Health mouthwash, the travel size. Cool, refreshing mint flavor, was nice, but I'm looking forward to using my Listerine whitening mouthwash instead. Would repurchase if I don't like the Listerine.

I hope to use up more items this week, tried a new sample eyeshadow (from Coastal Scents Revealed palette), great for smokey eyes this week. Maybe I'll get ambitious this weekend and use more hair samples. I prefer routine and the mask and oils I have will take me out of my comfort zone.

I was slightly concerned I wouldn't have 100 empties in 100 days but I did a little list in my head as I was getting ready this morning and between my shower/hair/makeup I have 15 products that are less than 1/3 full and will be used up within the next couple of months. All but 2 were full size too so I think I will make 100 pretty easily if I start using some of my samples and foils. 

I forgot to start saving my empties so I'm keeping a list. 

Keeping a list of what I use up seemed a little silly at first but it is keeping me mindful of what I have. 

I'll hop on as some of my samples are about to get finished up and I have a lot of older ones that I need to use.

1. Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo - I use this sometimes to clean brushes.. or MY hair if it's really frazzled.. so I think it counts :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

2. An older Avon lipstick in a mauve shade. Used right down to the rim and then dug in with a lip brush!

3. Olay 7-in-1 effects facial cleanser.

4. SkinLab makeup removal wipes package.  I need more, I really liked those.

I haven't finished up anything yet as of this year. This is an interesting challenge that will push me to use more samples. However, I have been using mostly full size / deluxe size items so it is going to take a while. Who knows when I will be able to to finish those liter sized shampoo and conditioners...

My thing I am having trouble with is keeping the containers for records/photos. Anyone else really enjoy throwing something in the trash as soon as it is finished? I guess i just don't want to keep it around for 3 months+ Anyhow, maybe i can update here every 10 days or so.

Back