100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the last day or so I have been itching to post a list of my empties.  I am feeling really good about my progress!  Having foils laying around is driving me a bit mental - I just want them gone so I am using them.  After I go though my stash of foils I will concentrate more on using my d/s and f/s items.  

16. Vasanti exfoliator d/s
17. theBalm Stainiac d/s
18. Lancome BiFacil f/s
19. Barefoot Venus – dry body oil in pink pepper d/s
20. Oneka shampoo d/s
21. Lancome Genifique serum d/s
22. Aveeno body lotion d/s
23. Michael Kors sporty citrus perfume vial
24. Glowing Mama exfoliator d/s
25. Alba Naturals Body wash foil & udderly smooth udder cream foil
26. Mustela baby lotion foil & udderly smooth udder cream foil
27. OTX Coconut water shampoo & conditioner foils
28. Yves Rocher Oriental velvety-skin scrub d/s
29. BareMinerals cleanser foil & moisturizer foil
30. John Frieda Shampoo & conditioner foils

Tossed: 

Biotherm f/s moisturizer.  I don’t remember how old it is… when in doubt, throw it out!!!

Weleda d/s lotion samples x2 – smells like they went bad

YSL Doll Lashes d/s mascara – just don’t love it & glad I didn’t buy it

Lash Adhesive – its very very old and definitely not worth keeping

Pacifica Multiples is an awful product.  Tossed.

Dove Deodorant – lid fell out in my school bag and the contents fell out in chunks

Pacifica BB Cream  - It made my skin break out in places.

Leeani Eco 3 in 1 d/s – A year ago I used it once or twice and it felt filmy on my skin so I didn’t love it.  

I am up to eleven empties. They are all foils and deluxe samples, but that is good for me.

1. Sephora Rose Sheet mask
2. Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream foil pack
3. Garnier Balancing Daily Exfoliator foil pack
4. Simy Skin Gel Cleanser foil pack.
5. Josie Maran Bear Naked Nail Wipe in Grapefruit foil pack
6. Fresh Soy Face Cleanser foil pack
7. A second Fresh Soy Fresh Cleanser foil pack
8. Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream foil pack
9. Spa Vita Berry Shampoo travel size - from a Hair and Body Memebox
10. Thierry Mugler Angel Perfuming Shower Gel travel size
11. Molton Brown Energizing Seamoss Bath and Shower Gel travel size - this is good for me because I got it for Christmas and used it right away. I usually hoard my Christmas gifts and will find them unused when the following Christmas rolls around!

I realize I forgot to answer you, sorry!

Actually, I'll tell you what it is, but to be honest, I read the ingredients and then realized I'll not be purchasing the full size and that the effects were likely temporary rather than restored hair.

It was the Agave Oil Treatment.

bb2.JPG

s1521731-main-hero.jpg

But I found out it's full of silicones, so I'm not going to repurchase. It basically just smoothed my hair and made it look shiny but didn't really do anything. But then again, I'm biased and don't like silicones in my hair or skincare routine.

I see you used a sample of this too. What did you think?

Some other things I've tried this week are getting me kind of tempted, though!

Fresh Seaberry Oil sample, Murad Intensive-C Peel sample, especially.

I kinda like the Argan oil treatment, but not enough that I would buy it. And especially now that you've pointed out that it's full of silicone, I know I won't be purchasing this anytime soon. I have another sample to use I think though, I will use it but for me it wasn't a 'magical' product like it was for you  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

More empties for me:

20. Lush Sexy Peel soap (sample)

21. Lush Honey I Washed the Kids soap (sample)
22. Nourish Organics Coconut & Argan lotion (I love coconut but this was awful! Yucky smell)
23. Lush Breath of Fresh Air Toner (FS; I love this toner but now I also have one by Clinique and another one by Lush to use, so I’ll won’t be buying it for a while. Will repurchase at some point though, it’s probably my fav)

24. Skintimate Mandarin shaving cream (FS)

25. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (sample, loved it! But I think I like Benefit the Pore-Fessionnal better. I might re-purchase but I'm not 100% sure.)
Already 1/4 of my goal completed!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

25. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (sample, loved it! But I think I like Benefit the Pore-Fessionnal better. I might re-purchase but I'm not 100% sure.)
Somehow I have ended up with like three of these (Ulta GWPs maybe?).  Hope I like them!  Anyway, I'll use them but I am loving the Paula's Choice shine stopper and, barring amazing results from some of the other primers I've accumulated, PC is probably what I'll stick with.

Somehow I have ended up with like three of these (Ulta GWPs maybe?).  Hope I like them!  Anyway, I'll use them but I am loving the Paula's Choice shine stopper and, barring amazing results from some of the other primers I've accumulated, PC is probably what I'll stick with.
I might have to try some PC then... When my No Buy is over :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, you ladies are impressive!

I'm a little late to this challenge but I accept! Fortunately I have saved the last few items I finished in a basket for self motivation so I have about 10 since the 10th.

My rules are everything is a 1 count; foils, deluxe samples, full size, and perfume samples. I'll post when I hit 25 my list of items.

I haven't been participating in the thread, but I'm reading everyone's posts.  I took a picture of days 1-10 empties and I'll take a picture tomorrow of days 11-20, then post them here.  I didn't start out thinking I'd join in, but decided to save empties just to see, and I'm keeping pace with everyone.  I think.  It helps that I have this habit of using half a bottle of something, then moving on to something new and exciting.  I've been forcing myself to go back and use up the half-full bottles.  My shower is looking less cluttered!

Its time for take a break from using so many random samples and I need to start using the same products consistently for at least a couple weeks. The skin on my face is looking like its getting ready for a nasty breakout.  Now may be a good time to try out the acne product samples in my stash?  Part of me was afraid something like this was going to happen.  Though, I will continue to use samples of haircare and bath/body items.  There is still sooo much makeup...

Posting my last 10 days of empties:

7. Fresh Rose face mask, DS - this was okay but not hydrating (on my skin) as described

8. perfume sample, DS, the name rubbed off, just ok

9. M. A. D. serum, DS, okay

10. foot balm, FS, liked but more greasy than I prefer

11. setting powder, FS, took me more than a year to use this up and I've re-purchased

12. fresh sugar lemon perfume, DS, did not like this as a perfume but worked great as a room spray

13. Foils of Rodial Glamoxy snake serum, okay, sample was too small to make an opinion, and Dr. Haushka regenerating day cream, too herbal of a scent for me

14. Rusk texture dry finish spray, DS, awful, horrible stuff that turned my hair into straw, poor hold

15. the Body Shop silky cleansing oil, FS, took me nearly a year to use this up, I liked it but the bottle it came in leaked often around the nozzle creating quite a mess

16. Foils, Paula's Choice cleansing gel and 100% pure body cream

17. Foils, Kiehl's Creme de Corp and Philosophy Take a deep breath

18. Foils L'Oreal shampoo and conditioner evercreme, liked this

Ok my empties for days 11-20

4 Full sized

2 deluxe

31 foils 

2 perfume vials

To recap days 1-10

5 Full size

2 deluxe

17 foils

4 perfume samples

Total in 20 days:

9 full sized

4 deluxe

48 foils

6 perfume samples

Total for last 20 days: 67!  

So proud as one of them is a LITER of shampoo! I think I am going to have to rethink taking one big picture at the end.  At this rate I will need a ladder to stand on to try and get them all in the picture!  For my next 10 segment I will take a picture and maybe just do monthly.  Not sure.  My empties list is going to take forever to type up this month!

@@numbersmom I'm glad your joining us! Using up things really is good motivation, I love doing this in conjunction with the no buy!

@@SneakyBurrito I'm glad you're joining!! I have the same pattern of product use- I'll use up something 1/3 or 2/3 and then move to something else. So I have a fair amount of potential empty full sizes just waiting for me to finish up!

@@annatomical One thing I was afraid of while testing out a bunch of samples, especially skincare, was my face having some kind of adverse reaction. Well, luckily nothing yet- my skin is looking really good, except my under eye wrinkles- they look worse. Anyway, I'm hoping I don't come across anything that does any damage.

@@page5 Good job on all your empties! And congratulations on finishing 3 full size items too!

@@lovepink Haha, I know what you mean- I've decided against saving mine and just saving them every ten days, then taking a photo and trashing. At the end, I'll just collage all 10 photos together or something, hehe. Also, 67 so far is amazing! Go you!!!

Ok ladies, here are my empties for Days 11-20:

photo(51).JPG

6 full size items

12 samples

1. Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner FS

2. Acne.org Treatment FS

3. St. Ives Green Tea Scrub FS

4. Lavanila The Healthy Sunscreen FS

5. Red Apple Lipstick The Lash Project FS (actually could probably still use this, but it's 5.5 months old and is starting to flake when I wear it, so it's time to toss it).

6. Lush Sexy Peel bar FS

7. Jurlique Herbal Serum sample

8. PTR Cucumber mask sample

9. Tokyomilk Dark Tainted Love hand cream sample

10. Algenist gel moisturizer sample

11. Aloette restorative enzyme peel sample

12. Korres Quercerin anti-aging serum

13. Fresh Seaberry oil sample

14. Nail polish remover sample

15. Alcohol phone cleaner wipe

16. Agave hair oil treatment sample (second and last sample of this)

17. Mini B&BW candle in Leaves (looks like there's a lot left but that's just spilled wax on the side- I can't get the candle to light anymore.

18. Crest Whitestrips

Empties so far (previous empties under spoiler):

• Sephora scrub mitt: Would not repurchase.
  • It's Skin Blueberry mask: Would consider repurchasing.
  • Exuviance Age Reverse Night Lift (foil): Would not repurchase.
  • Algenist Genius Cream (foil): Would consider repurchasing.
  • Cotz Plus tinted sunscreen (foil): Would not repurchase.
  • Versace Bright Crystal Absolu (foil): Would not repurchase.
  • Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask (foil): Would definitely repurchase.
  • AmorePacific Future Response cream (foil): Would not repurchase.
  • Julep Luxe Repair Serum (foil, lot #5997700): Would not repurchase.
  • Julep Luxe Repair Serum (foil): Lot # 5997700:Would not repurchase.
  • Ahava Mineral Body Exfoliator (full size): Would not repurchase.
  • Julep Luxe Repair Serum (foil, lot #5997700)
  • Julep Luxe Repair Serum (foil, lot #5997900)
  • Julep Luxe Repair Serum (foil, lot #5997900)
  • Julep Luxe Repair Serum (foil, lot #5997900): After smelling these, and comparing them to the full size that I still have to work through, I'm questioning my memory that this product ever had a pleasant aroma. Maybe it just made me feel fancy and never actually had a scent? Anyway, none of these are rancid, they all smell like oil, jojoba oil rules, and this serum will do all the things that jojoba oil does and has some added extra good ingredients. It is 26x more expensive than jojoba oil, and is not 26x better than jojoba oil IMO. Will happily use up, but would not repurchase.
  • Lancome Advanced Genifique (foil): Don't remember much about the product itself, but remember that I was happy I didn't like it because I imagined it's really effing expensive. Would not repurchase.
  • Suki exfoliate foaming cleanser (deluxe size): Foamy! The perfect refreshing amount of sweet, like how fruit can sometimes make a better dessert than cake. I liked this because somehow it was citrusy (grapefruit) without being an irritant, and exfoliating but the sugar crystals dissolve so quickly that it felt very gentle. Also, it's made of sugar, which makes it confusingly pleasant if some happens to get in your mouth while you're washing your face in the shower. Might repurchase.
  • Ouidad Clarifying Cream Shampoo (paper "foil".... why a shampoo manufacturer thought they should put their product in paper packaging is beyond me): Really like the smell of this. Would consider repurchasing, except I have about 5 years worth of shampoo, and an active Birchbox subscription.
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (foil): Ohhhhhhhh, so that's why people love primers! I definitely used too much, but it made my WnW foundation look amazing, and last forever. It smooths pores, but really emphasized wrinkles/brow furrows. I'll try using less (I have several foils) and see how that goes. Also I'm not sure how my skin feels about silicone yet. Need to use more to determine if it's worth buying.
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Primer with SPF20 and Dermaxyl (foil): I liked this one better, but can think of no explanation. Liked and disliked exactly the same things as the other one. If they're basically the same, and I end up buying one, I'd buy this one for the SPF.
  • Dermelect Foot Treatment (foil): Idk. I put it on my feet, and my feet are still there. I'd need at least a deluxe sample if I wanted to tell if it worked better than a regular lotion or cream. Would not repurchase on account of the sample is too small.

11 12 13. Crabtree & Evelyn Citron, honey & coriander  shampoo, conditioner and lotion hotel samples

Fragrance on these was yummy.

14. Maybelline Dream Matte Finish Foundation (hated this formula)

15. Worn out makeup sponge (Cover girl, I think)

16. Malin+Goetz vitamin e facial moisturizer deluxe sample

17. SPAresource Vanilla Sugar hand cream foil.. large foil and I LIKE THIS.  Feels very luxe and not greasy.

18. DHC mild lotion foil

19. Nivea Visage - All Around Protection Foil

20. Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Eye Wish eye cream deluxe sample

Starting to get a little harder as I'm running out of small samples but still going to rack as high a kill count as I can :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here is the continuation of my list for days 11-20.  For the last ten days I have been going through quite a bit of product and tossing more products than I expected I would - which is definitely a good thing.  I have taken a good look at the products in my bathroom and some have been there for too long and upon closer inspection they smell strange.  Among the items I have been using, I have gone though a lot of foils in order to reduce general clutter so my number is pretty high right now.  In the coming days and weeks, as I reduce the number of foils I will concentrate more of d/s and f/s items so I won't be using as many products in such a short period of time in the near future.   

In the coming days I'm going to use the last of a d/s shampoo, a d/s body wash, and some more foils among other things... so I will have a good start on days 21-30. 

31. John Frieda Shampoo & conditioner foils

32. BareMinerals cleanser foil & moisturizer foil
33. Pacifica TBO body wash f/s
34. Avalon Organics Lavender Shampoo & conditioner foils
35. Harvey prince body lotion d/s
36. Aveeno body lotion d/s
37. Masker Aide sheet mask (single use) & fresh black tea age-delay foil
38. Carven Perfume vial
39. BareMinerals cleanser foil & moisturizer foil
40. Aveeno body lotion d/s
41. Hanae Perfume vial
42. Uniq One leave-in hair mask d/s
43. Bioderma d/s body wash
44. Lancome Genifique serum d/s
45. FAB face cleanser d/s
46. Lancome La Vie Est Belle perfume vial
47. Lancome Genifique eye cream d/s
48. BareMinerals foundation foil & Bamboo serum foil.
49. Bamboo shampoo & conditioner foils
50. Crest whitestrips & Masker Aide sheet mask (single use products)

Tossed:

Burt’s Bees after sun lotion - old

Lancome d/s perfume sample – destroyed

City Color lip balm f/s – destroyed

Julep nail polish f/s – destroyed

Lancome visionaire d/s – destroyed

Clinique face primer d/s – destroyed

Lip Monthly blue cosmetics bag – tossed, ugly.  Usually I’d donate things like this but I don’t think anyone wants these bags even a little bit...

Bump Solution, Spa Edition f/s - old

Aveda Body Lotion f/s – old

Aveda exfoliator f/s

Rosemary Mint Body lotion f/s – old

Body shop shea bath cream f/s - old

Body shop shea body lotion f/s – old

Everyday minerals - Blush foil & finishing powder foil –  awful products, I have plenty of nice finishing powder and blush I can use

Lancome GWP cosmetics bag - makeup item's lid came off and smeared all over the inside.  

Here are my empties for the second 10 days

19. Method Handsoap - full size

20. Drybar Shampoo - foil

20. Drybar Shampoo - foil
21. Drybar Conditioner - foil

22.Urban Decay Eye Primer - sample

23. Algenist eye balm - foil

24. Clark Botanicals Moisture Mask - deluxe sample

25. Benefit Fakeup - deluxe sample

26. Montagne Jeunesse Mask - single use

27. Target Makeup remover wipes - 10 pack

28. Nicole Ritchie Perfume - sample

29. Benefit They're Real Liner - deluxe sample

30. Hairkop Mask -foil

31. Hairkop oil treatment -  foil

32. Murad Pore Sealer - foilr

33. Murad Blackhead Remover -foil

34. Caudale Serum - foil

35. Jurlique Serum - foil

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little behind in posting. They are in a spoiler because the list is long.

Days 1-10 empties

1. LA Fresh Nail Polish Remover Acetone-Free - foil -1 pad sample. Did not remove all the nail polish off both hands with one pad.

2. Gourmet Body Treats Chamomile Cleansing Cream - full size -- My #1 cleanser. It works well with my rosacea.

3. Mineral Fusion Lasting Color Conditioner - FS -- Works well with my color treated hair and doesn't agitate my rosacea.

4. TATCHA Indigo Silk Body Butter - FS -  Love, Love, Love :wub:

5.Masque Fleurs de Jasmin Hair Conditioning Mask - DS - Left hair knotty (Eva Schrivo Quarterly Box 1)

6. Davines Replumping Shampoo- foil- Hated the smell.(BB)

7. Davines Repluming  Conditioner - foil - Hated the smell (BB)

8. Giovanni Hydrating-Calming Conditioner - foil - only enough to do half my hair (BB)

9. Korres Cherry Lip Gloss mini - DS - Perfect size for me. (SS Mystery Warehouse Sale)

10. Shu Uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Oil-in-cream - DS - Didn't agitate my rosacea. Can't tell if it did anything with my hair (BB Vanity Affair)

11. Yarok Feed Your MositureShampoo - FS - I hated using it because it doesn't lather. My hair loves it. I will buy it again. (GoodeBox Breast Cancer LE)

12. Lavina Argan Oil - DS - Smells like dirty diapers :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (Petit Vour)

13. Gourmet Body Treats Organic Keratin Treatment Leave-In Conditioner - DS- It's Ok. (GBT sub)

14. Philip B Light-Weight Deep Conditoining Crème Rinse - DS - Got one use out of it. Seems to help define my waves. (Sample Society)

I found it can take me 2-3 uses per foil.  Is  that common or are most single use?

It depends on the foil and how much product it contains.  Recently I used some face cleanser & moisturizer foils and I found I could get 2 uses per foil.  When I tried out a foundation foil and it was definitely a single use item.  In my stash there is a 6mL face cleanser foil and I think I will be able to use it for a few days.

Days 11-20

15. TATCHA Indigo soothing silk hand cream - foil - :wub: - I have the full size and travel size. :wub:

16. Honey Cream Wash gingerade- foil - can't tell anything about it (100% Pure Mystery Bag - they placed a few bonus foils in the bag)

17. Yu-Be moisturizing Skin Cream - DS - can't tell anything. (BB)

18. L'huile de Lenore Grayl - DS - This is fancy coconut oil which I put in my hair every night. It was wonderful. (Eva Scrivo Quarterly Box 2)

19. Caudalie Radiance Serum Complexion Correction - DS - The sample that never ran out. I think I saw results.

20. Tatcha Ageless enriching renewal cream - foil - Noticed maybe a slight difference.

21. Tatcha Luminous deep hydration firming serum - foil - Can't tell anything.

22. Tatcha Indigo Soothing Renewal Treatment - foil - Can't tell anything.

23. Mineral Fusion lasting color shampoo - FS - Works great with my hair. Does not bother my rosacea.

24. Briogeo Don't Despair Repair - DS - Leaves my hair knotty with dry ends (BB)

25. Tatcha Indigo Soothing Renewal Treatment - Foil - Hard to tell.

26. Salus Shower Bombs Eucalyptus - FS - Loved it. (Yuzen)

27. Philosphy renewed hope in a jar - foil - did not bother my rosacea.

28. SheaTerra Organics Bourbon Vanilla whipped Shea butter - Smells good enough to eat :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (Goodebox)

29. CellCeuticals Extremely Gentle Skin Cleanser- DS  - Had this for awhile and finished it. I hated using it because of the tube design. Did not bother my rosacea.

30. Caviar Cream CC 10 in 1 Complete Correction Leave in Hair Perfector - DS - Gave me soft waves (SampleSociety)

31. Moe's Apothecary Coconut Lime & Mint Emusified Body Scrub - FS - Love this. Melts into my skin. I received one in my regular Dottie Box Mini and was excited to receive a second one. (Dottie Box Mini Mystery Sale)

Back