100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it can take me 2-3 uses per foil. Is that common or are most single use?
Most hair foils are single use for me but I have really long, thick hair.

Other foils take longer but are kind of a pain -- often enough, it's too little product to squeeze into a separate container, but it starts to dry out in the opened foil (even if I bend the opening over and put a binder clip on it).

@ Hahah at kill count. :laughing:

@@TooMuchElectric That's really weird that a company put shampoo in a paper container... I believe I have a cleanser in a container like that- Marula's cleanser foils are really papery. @@West Coast Beauty Addict

@@annatomical Impressive list, as usual! 50 is half-way through and that's only what you used up in the first 20 days. *applauds*

@@West Coast Beauty Addict What did you think of the Murad blackhead remover and pore sealer? Was the pore sealer weird? Also, about how long did it take you to finish the Benefit Fakeup? I just started using a DS I have of that, but just keep it at work as a backup under eye concealer, so I don't use it all that often. Also, some foils last me several uses, while others I barely feel like I get enough. It's very weird. I can usually get 2 uses out of foils, but it depends on what it is and how much I normally use of that product.

@@PA Anna Nice list! What's a shower bomb and how do you use it? Hahah, sounds nice, whatever it is!

@@SneakyBurrito I have long, thick hair too and the only hair foil that lasted me longer than 1 use was Living Proof's Style Extender Balm. I think I've used it twice already but still have some left. I do the same thing with binder clips, and I still get some sample after a day or so, but any longer than that and it'll be dry and probably not worth using.

I kinda like the Argan oil treatment, but not enough that I would buy it. And especially now that you've pointed out that it's full of silicone, I know I won't be purchasing this anytime soon. I have another sample to use I think though, I will use it but for me it wasn't a 'magical' product like it was for you  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

More empties for me:

20. Lush Sexy Peel soap (sample)

21. Lush Honey I Washed the Kids soap (sample)
22. Nourish Organics Coconut & Argan lotion (I love coconut but this was awful! Yucky smell)
23. Lush Breath of Fresh Air Toner (FS; I love this toner but now I also have one by Clinique and another one by Lush to use, so I’ll won’t be buying it for a while. Will repurchase at some point though, it’s probably my fav)

24. Skintimate Mandarin shaving cream (FS)

25. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (sample, loved it! But I think I like Benefit the Pore-Fessionnal better. I might re-purchase but I'm not 100% sure.)
Already 1/4 of my goal completed!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Congrats on getting 1/4 of your goal done!!!

I was wondering, how did you get a sample of Lush's Sexy Peel soap? I just used up a FS bar and it's my favorite soap ever, I'd love to get a sample for travel!!!

Can't wait to start on my products for the next ten days! I think there will be a lot this round! I have been working on lots of products and am nearly done with quite a few!

Oh, I wanted to do a cumulative count from Day 1, so I'll start that here:

Days 1-10: 8 full size, 8 deluxe/foil size

Days 11-20: 6 full size items, 12 deluxe/foil size

Cumulative total: 14 full size, 20 deluxe/foil size: 34 total= 34% of the way to my goal of 100!

@@annatomical Impressive list, as usual! 50 is half-way through and that's only what you used up in the first 20 days. *applauds*
Thank you for the encouragement.  At this point whether its five empties or fifty doesn't really matter to me because progress is progress and there's still a long way to go until the challenge is over! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here are my empties for day 11-20!

Full list and opinions spoiler-ed below

elf makeup remover cloths-These get the job done, but probably aren't my favorite. They sure are cheap though and don't make my eyes mad. I'll probably repurchase for gym bag/work/etc

Vasanti Detox sample-This doesn't feel like it actually gets my skin clean, but it was a good break from some of my harsher face washes. Not a repurchase.

Crabtree & Evelyn Citron hand therapy-Very moisturizing and a great smell. I'd repurchase when I'm looking for a hand lotion.

Lush Parsley Porridge bar soap sample-Smelled like parsley and did the job, I just don't like bar soap that much. I realize there's a little left, but I dropped it in the sink 3 times while I was washing my hands, which was my sign it was done.

Jergens BB Body lotion sample-Didn't do much at all, other than be a slight gentle self tanner. I may get a small one like this come spring/summer to help my super pale legs.

Whish Body Butter in lavender sample-The smell was pretty good but it wasn't very moisturizing.

Lush R&B Hair moisturizer sample-Love this! But i have other leave-in conditioners to go through before I repurchase.

Burts Bees Moisturizing lip balm in Mango-Still my HG lipbalm.

Smashbox Full exposure mascara sample-This was pretty good, I liked what it did to my lashes and it didn't irritate my eyes. I may repurchase eventually.

Maybelline Dream Touch Lumi concealer in Brightening-I'm a fan of this color with my skin tone and under glasses to brighten my general eye area. I want to try the age rewind version in this color, but if I don't like it, I may return to this one.

Total: 11

Running Total (for the 100 days): 23

@ Hahah at kill count. :laughing:

@@TooMuchElectric That's really weird that a company put shampoo in a paper container... I believe I have a cleanser in a container like that- Marula's cleanser foils are really papery. @@West Coast Beauty Addict

@@West Coast Beauty Addict What did you think of the Murad blackhead remover and pore sealer? Was the pore sealer weird? Also, about how long did it take you to finish the Benefit Fakeup? I just started using a DS I have of that, but just keep it at work as a backup under eye concealer, so I don't use it all that often. Also, some foils last me several uses, while others I barely feel like I get enough. It's very weird. I can usually get 2 uses out of foils, but it depends on what it is and how much I normally use of that product.

@@PA Anna Nice list! What's a shower bomb and how do you use it? Hahah, sounds nice, whatever it is!

@@SneakyBurrito I have long, thick hair too and the only hair foil that lasted me longer than 1 use was Living Proof's Style Extender Balm. I think I've used it twice already but still have some left. I do the same thing with binder clips, and I still get some sample after a day or so, but any longer than that and it'll be dry and probably not worth using.

Congrats on getting 1/4 of your goal done!!!

I was wondering, how did you get a sample of Lush's Sexy Peel soap? I just used up a FS bar and it's my favorite soap ever, I'd love to get a sample for travel!!!

Can't wait to start on my products for the next ten days! I think there will be a lot this round! I have been working on lots of products and am nearly done with quite a few!

Oh, I wanted to do a cumulative count from Day 1, so I'll start that here:

Days 1-10: 8 full size, 8 deluxe/foil size

Days 11-20: 6 full size items, 12 deluxe/foil size

Cumulative total: 14 full size, 20 deluxe/foil size: 34 total= 34% of the way to my goal of 100!

It was a tiny, tiny (1-2 uses) that I got from an online order :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

You could go to Lush and get some smaller sizes for travel?

I do like that soap but I have so many to go through... 

@@eastofthesun I'm going to order some once my no-buy is over. It is a round item that feels like a solid bath salt. You place it in the shower where the water doesn't hit it directly causing the aroma to release as you shower. A nice alternative for those that don't take baths often.
Oh that sounds lovely! I'm going to add that to my wish list for when the no-buy is over.

@@eastofthesun I'm going to order some once my no-buy is over. It is a round item that feels like a solid bath salt. You place it in the shower where the water doesn't hit it directly causing the aroma to release as you shower. A nice alternative for those that don't take baths often.
Have you found a brand that's really strong?  I'm constantly in a state of being congested in winter.  I tried the shower bombs from Level Naturals but didn't find them to be terribly long lasting.  Would be interested in other brands (well, I guess winter will be over before the no buy is over, but it would be good to know for the future).  On weekends I just take baths and I have some eucalyptus bubble bath and bath salts.  But would love to have something for during the week.

Not a lot of empties for the past days... I'm working on some FS products I want to finish. 

26. CeraVe SPF moisturizer (sample; it's ok, nothing special)

27. Cucina Olive Oil Hand Soap (FS, liked it but I prefer Method's foaming hand soap so I most likely won't re-purchase).

That's it! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I promise I really did take pictures and I will get around to posting them eventually.  Days 21-30 are shaping up to have the best empties yet because I am finishing off all those full-sized products that have been sitting around for months.

I even -- gasp -- finished off a full-sized Purlisse moisturizer today.  (Don't worry, my supply of Purlisse is not running low thanks to last summer's glut in subscription boxes.)  I think I may try to use up some of my moisturizer foils for awhile.

@@eastofthesun

I liked the murad blackhead remover better than the vacuum cleaner one from Birchbox, not sure if it is Dr. Jart or Dr Brandt.

It was gentle on my skin but cleared out  bunch of gunk.  It didn't get as much as glamglow does but it might be better for my dry somewhat sensitive skin.

It took a while to use up the DS of Fakeup because I was using it as a backup or for when I just wanted a quick swipe under my eyes.  It was moisturizing, but faeds quickly under the eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a great few days...here's what I've finished up this week:

28. Urban Decay Chill Makeup Setting Spray (full size)

29. Model Co Party Proof Lipstick - Kitty (full size)

30. Fortune Cookie Soap Co. Sally Soap (fortune cookie)

31. Fekkai Glossing Cream (deluxe size)

32. Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream  (deluxe size)

33. Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Body Lotion (deluxe size)
34. Sephora Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover (deluxe size)
35. Philosophy Snow Angel Shower Gel (deluxe size)
36. Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! (deluxe size)
37. Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Body Wash (deluxe size)
38. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate (deluxe size)
39. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Cream (deluxe size)
40. Julep Eye Sheen Dusty Taupe Shimmer (full size)
41. Skin & Co Truffle Therapy Serum (deluxe size)
42. Urban Decay Supercurl Mascara (deluxe size)
43. Supergoop Hand Cram (deluxe size)
44. Dr. Brandt Pores No More Pore Refiner (deluxe size)
45. Eau de Cartier Goutte de Rose (vial)
46. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo (foil)
47. DHC Extra Nighttime Moisturizer(foil)
48. tarte Amazonian Clay Blush (carded sample)
49. Josie Maran Bear Naked Nail Wipes(foil)
50. Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar(foil)
51. Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar Eye(foil)
52. Paul Mitchell Original Shampoo One(foil)
53. Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo and Conditioner X 2(foil)
54. Loreal Age Perfect Cell Renewal Golden Serum(foil)
55. Loreal Age Perfect Cell Renewal Day Cream(foil)

image.jpg

Here are my empties from days 11-20.

FULL SIZE

Black Raspberry Vanilla body splash from BBW - was my all time favorite until an unexpected hit from Christmas

Dove Go Sleeveless deodorant - I really liked this. Lasted all day. Didn't transfer to clothes at all.

Loreal Magic BB in Fair - Really wanted to like this, but it oxidized too orange for my ultra pale self.

DELUXE SIZE

Olay Tone Perfecting Cream - nice, but too small to really tell.

Estée Lauder Enlighten Serum - again, this was nice, but too small to really tell if it would lighten spots as it claimed.

Oribe Shampoo - didn't care for the smell. Added TONS of extra volume which I try to do the opposite of.

FOILS

There were 11 total foils here. I have nearly nothing to say about them, so I am lumping them together. I don't like foils because it is virtually impossible to tell if a product works for you. I wasn't allergic to any of them. The only thing that stood out about any of them is that the Loreal Cell Renewal Day Cream left my skin really greasy.

I had a mission during this 10 day period to clear out all of my foils just to get rid of the clutter. This is all of my foils except one. The last remaining foil is a face primer I will be using this week since my deluxe sample that I was working on just ran out yesterday.

Not pictured is the one item that hit the trash. My Elf lip scrub broke off and rolled around in my sink. Yuck! I threw it away.

2. Witch Hazel Toner

Got rid of another 8 lip products, 5 eyeshadows, and a blush.. plus a facial prep spray I never use. I'm almost at where I want to be with downsizing for now. Using things up is going slow as expected but pretty much everything is going to be full size so that's okay! Keeping track and maybe I'll hit 100 by the end of the year. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
3. Josie Maran Argan Oil Light 15mL deluxe sample

4. Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara sample

This week I have been super sick and thank goodness I am on the mend (so it seems).  The good news is I definitely haven't bought anything.  While waiting for prescriptions I have looked at beauty products and I have been disciplined enough not to buy anything.  The bad news is I have been staying away from using beauty products so I haven't generated as many empties as I would have liked.  This week all I have used is shampoo, body wash, eye cream, moisturizer, and a bit of lotion.  Since I had a strong start this set back isn't going to hurt me because I have a LOT of time to generate 50 more empties!!!

Hi all!

I'm late to the party but just discovered this thread thanks to a post by @@AliciaKnits in the pan that palette thread.

I'm not joining in on the no-buy (because I simply do not have that level of self control when it comes to beauty products) but I am cutting back. I've been tapping into my stash (or surplus or hoard - whatever ya want to call our guestroom LOL) without even knowing this challenge existed, so I'm in!

I'm taking a multi-faceted approach to my slim-down: 1) pan that palette- I just have too much shadow and really prefer building my own but hubs got me this so I'm giving it my best effort 2) low buy- I've made it manageable for me by cutting my regular H&B budget in half 3) eBay- finally getting around to dumping all the deluxe samples and foils I acquired while living it up from Black Friday thru Christmas shopping and 4) use it- hence I'm joining in. Not sure I'll post pictures as the satisfaction of the trash can is so overwhelming, but I will keep track.

I've caught up on all the posts thus far and you girls are quite the motivators! I'm excited to join even if I am a little late!

I'm packing up for my business trip and had to change some of the products I usually bring. I want to have more empties! I have a few items that will be emptied if I bring them with me. Please tell me I am not the only one thinking this way?
Excellent idea. Have a wonderful trip! 

I'm packing up for my business trip and had to change some of the products I usually bring. I want to have more empties! I have a few items that will be emptied if I bring them with me. Please tell me I am not the only one thinking this way?
Instead of dreading using a product in its entirety and generating an 'empty' I have started really looking forward to generating an accumulation of empty containers.  Using the last of something is a strangely satisfying feeling now.  

All right, I finally had 5 minutes to sit down and upload my pictures.  Under spoiler tags because the images are huge.  No lists of what's what because I didn't make them.  (I keep track of my opinions by reviewing the items on Amazon, at least the ones I can find listed there.  So if I ever want to remind myself of what I thought of something, I consult my reviews.) 

Advance notice: I'll likely be editing this post because I don't always have the best luck with pictures!

Anyway:

Days 1-10 (14 items of various sizes if I can count):

ROcq1ru.jpg

Days 11-20 (16 items of various sizes, assuming I can count):

E23qz1n.jpg

Latest posts

Back