100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still doing this, though my no buy is messed up:

25. Travel size Eucalyptus Body Wash. It is nice when you have a bit of a sinus headache.

26. A second Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet foil

27. Pack of Swisspers cotton rounds. I love these, but when they were used up I thought I should use up my cotton balls rather than repurchasing special cotton rounds. But I was happy to find another pack of cotton rounds in my drawer - a no name brand, but soft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Still doing this, though my no buy is messed up:

25. Travel size Eucalyptus Body Wash. It is nice when you have a bit of a sinus headache.

26. A second Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet foil

27. Pack of Swisspers cotton rounds. I love these, but when they were used up I thought I should use up my cotton balls rather than repurchasing special cotton rounds. But I was happy to find another pack of cotton rounds in my drawer - a no name brand, but soft. 
How do you like Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet ? Do you think it's worth the price for a moisturizer? =) 

How do you like Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet ? Do you think it's worth the price for a moisturizer? =) 
To tell the truth, I found the Vinosource Sorbet a bit overperfumed, heavy, and just a bit irritating. Tonight I am going to try a sample from the Vinoperfect series, their brightening line, and I'll see how that compares.  

28. Travel size Caudalie (1 ounce) Cleansing Water. I enjoyed using up the pretty little bottle. To tell the truth, I have not been wearing face makeup, just face cream. But even with a bare face, every morning and night when I used the cleansing water, I could see grime come off on my cotton round. On the other hand, even though the product says "face and eyes" it does not remove mascara very well. (The best all in one face and eyes product I have found through my foil trials is the Fresh Soy Cleanser. The mascara just slid right off with that one.) 

29. Caudalie Vinoperfect Serum foil - their brightening line. I loved the story on the brand's site, stating that this product was inspired by a traditional natural remedy of girls using grapevine sap on their face and hands to lighten brown spots. So I put the serum all over my face and hands, but it made the skin feel sticky, irritated, uncomfortable, red. It could be that I have sensitive skin, and did not realize it.

30. L'Oreal EverSleek Intense Smoothing Shampoo foil - I loved the scent (sunflower), and the texture. The first time I used it, my hair looked marvelous, but it was oily the next day. The second time I used it, my hair was even oilier. A beautiful product, but not made for my hair type.

31. Juara Rice Facial Cleanser foil - Another product inspired by a traditional natural remedy - an Indonesian ritual of a rice water rinse - rice starch being rich in amino acids. I loved this! The foil gave me three uses. The cleanser smelled wonderful and was rich and creamy! 

Takeaways:

I would be better off going to the drugstore and buying shampoo and face cream for my type (fine, oily hair, possibly sensitive skin) than hoarding samples like they are gold; even though the samples are excellent and costly products, if they are not for my type, they are just hurting, not helping. 

I am drawn to products inspired by natural remedies - maybe I should go to the library and check out some natural beauty books. 

I am enjoying my project of using up all my foils. When the products don't work or bother my skin, it helps me see what not to buy. 

More!! I think I'll reach 100 if I keep at it.

49. Natural Style Deep Conditioner (foil)

50. Philosophy Miracle Worker Overnight (foil)

51. Embryolisse creme (tiny BB sample)

52. Tony Moly Avocado Sheet Mask 

53. Philosphy Back to Nurture (sample, liked it but I have FS of Clinique moisturizer to go through before I'd purchase it)

32., 33. Two foil packs of DHC Cleansing Oil. This is an olive oil cleanser. Very soothing. 

34. Foil pack of Jurlique Purely Bright Radiance Serum. Has a lovely floral scent that I found relaxing at bedtime.

35. Foil pack of Lancome Advanced Genifique. It has no scent and sinks right into the skin without a trace. Very pleasant to use. 

36. The Face Shop Blackhead Out Aloe Nose Strip. I never get any results with nose strips, and this one also came off white, with nothing showing on it. I was disappointed. But I have four more of these, so I will keep trying. 

Used up my first two items today:

1. 625 ct Q-Tips (the box from Costco) ... don't worry, we have more ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And this empty was probably a combined effort of at least 2 or 3 years, just me. Hubby has his own box. That being said, don't need to repurchase, already own another box or two.

2. Crest Pro-Health mouthwash, the travel size. Cool, refreshing mint flavor, was nice, but I'm looking forward to using my Listerine whitening mouthwash instead. Would repurchase if I don't like the Listerine.
3. it Cosmetics CC+ 50+ SPF, full size. Okay for me, not excellent. Not worth the price. WNR
4. Crest Whitening toothpaste, full size. Did the job, but due to new/necessary homemade toothpaste needs as recommended by dentist, WNR. Turns out I'm allergic to flouride & other ingredients, so now have to use baking soda/coconut oil/peppermint oil/hydrogen peroxide only to clean my teeth & whiten.

5. Bareminerals original foundation, fairly light N10, sample size. Excellent mineral powder, matched my skin tone perfectly. Will purchase full size when I run out of powder next year.

6. Amika nourishing mask, sea buckthorn berry, sample size. Didn't notice a difference, WNR

Full Size: 3

Deluxe Size: 3

37. L'Occitane Ultra Rich Comforting Cream foil pack - 25 percent Shea Butter. I love the rich texture. 

38. Shu Uemura Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/O Advanced Formula foil - a beautiful green oil that smells lovely. It helps clear the skin of pollution. Drawback: it's mineral oil based. 

39. Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleanser foil - I so enjoyed using this! It has French Green Clay and essential oils of jasmine, sandalwood, and frankincense, yet has no scent. It promises not just small pores, but miniscule pores. You can leave the cleanser on for one minute, as a mask. The cleanser left my face so clean, but not irritated. 

I'm finished with all of my face cleanser foil packs, so now I can begin using up my travel size cleansers! I still have a large pile of foils to use in other product categories. 

The L'Occitane cream sounds nice. I have a sample jar of their Divine cream and I really like it. Thanks for the info on the Shu Uemura Cleansing oil having mineral oil. I had been wondering about trying some Shu uemura products again. I used to use some of their products years ago although mostly cosmetics. Since it's mineral oil, it won't work for my breakout prone skin.

Hi,

I've been really busy with work but here is my latest post on empties for the 4th set of 10 days

48 - 7 perfume sample cards

49. Maybeline Powder sample card

50. Neutrogena foundation sample card

51. Benefit BB Cream Sample Card

52 Estee Lauder Foundation sample

53. Kiehls eye cream foil

54. Dragonfruit Mask

55.  Passion peel off mask

56. Eyeko Mini Liquid Eyeliner

57. Orange Ginger Travel Handwash

58. Cotz Mineral Suncreen deluxe sample

59. h20 Moisturizer deluxe sample

60. Glam Glow Mask deluxe Sample

40. Freeman Barefoot Lemon and Sage Foot Balm - foot shaped foil pack. Very nice! Fresh smelling, cooling, fun to use. 

41. L'Occitane Light Comforting Cream foil - This cream is just lovely. It's a Shea Butter face cream for combination skin. The texture is so rich, but it dries to a powdery finish, and has a lovely soft powdery scent too.

42. Travel size Hair & Body Therapeutics Energize Shampoo. Every year for Christmas I get a gift bag of old leftover hotel toiletries. Some are really nice, some blah. I did not like this one at all but pushed myself to use it up. Luckily it was gone after two shampoos! 

43. Yves Rocher Serum Vegetal Wrinkles and Radiance Day Cream foil. A nice cream with a floral fruity scent. 

44. Bliss Body Butter Lemon and Sage foil. Amazing scent. Smells like real fresh lemon, real fresh green leaves.

I must use up six more items by day 50 of the 100 day no buy! 

Finished 50 items in 50 days!

45. Another Face Shop Blackhead Out Aloe Nose Strip. I think it worked pretty well. But no dramatic result. 

46., 47. Two foil samples of Boscia Revitalizing Black Hydration Gel. This has charcoal to detoxify. I found it fun to use a black colored face cream. It has a nice scent, like a Fango product. 

48., 49. Two foil samples of Yu-Be Moisturizing Body Lotion. At first I thought this was blah - an all purpose, family moisturizer with a camphor scent. But I came to love it after a day or two - it made me so soft! It is a glycerin formula. 

50. Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream - little deluxe sample metal tube. A very fine almond meal paste. I love this brand. I got this when I bought a ton of boxes when Sample Society had their big sale on past samples. Of course I still have to use them all up! 

I can see I use up product slowly - so maybe I will not feel the need to hoard so much. Plus, I think that by working so hard to use up my foils, I may get a little tired of them - they only give enough to experience the scent and consistency of a product, not to see the results. When you really like a foil, it is a let down as it will be gone in two days. Maybe this will make me less likely to go for GWP of a cute bag of foils with $100 purchase - yes, I have bought things I don't need just to get a pretty bag of cute samples! 

Great job! The Bocsia and Dr. Hauschka sound interesting. I used to use Bocsia years ago and like it. Dr. Hauscka too. It's a great brand. All those samples sound great.

Another 30 used up. This makes 60 for me.

20150220_200223.jpg

20150220_200315.jpg

20150220_200421.jpg

20150220_200811.jpg

51. Third and last foil packet of Boscia Revitalizing Black Hydration Gel.

52.  Foil packet of SK-II Cellumination Aurabright. This is an essence, and is it luxurious! It is pale pink, and after you apply it, if you look very closely you can see tiny mirror like particles on the face that change colors from pink to gold to lilac in the light. So the overall result is a beautiful glow - nothing shiny or garish. But it is $225, so I don't think I will be getting it soon. Maybe some day. 

53. Foil packet of Thierry Mugler Angel Perfuming Body Lotion. The sweet chocolate patchouli scent is very long lasting. 

54. Foil packet of Lancome Visionnaire serum. It is very luxurious with a beautiful scent, similar to the Lancome cleansers and toners. It leaves a velvety finish all day. 

55. Foil packet of Soap and Glory Smoothie Star Body Buttercream. Its toasted almond/vanilla scent is comforting. 

56. Foil packet of L'Oreal EverSleek Leave In Cream. Very nice to use before blow drying - does not leave behind a heavy residue or scent - just soft shiny hair. 

57. Travel size bottle of The Aloe Source Jojoba Radiance Cleansing Polish - from a midsummer 2014 Glossybox. A fruity smelling gel with lots of exfoliating particles - a little too abrasive for me. 

I repurposed my never worn decorative bobby pins - including the Jane Tran one from Sample Society boxes past (on the right) - to secure my open foil packs. 

Samples.jpg

58. Vichy Purete Thermale 3 in 1 (one step cleansing milk, toner, eye makeup remover). Deluxe sample from January Glossybox. It was very soothing to use and made mascara slide right off. However, I was sad to discover it is mineral oil based. You apply it to a dry face and then tissue or rinse off, so it is really an old fashioned cold cream. Nice to use once in a while, but not all the time, in my opinion. 

59. Yet another Face Shop Blackhead Out Aloe nose strip. I keep using these even though I get no visible results.

60. L'Oreal EverSleek Conditioner foil packet. Luxurious product with natural oils like argan, olive. 

61. L'Occitane Divine Eyes eye cream foil packet. A very thin, light eye cream. 

62. Algenist Multi Perfecting Pore Corrector Gel Moisturizer foil packet. Has salicylic acid (very good) along with their special algae extract, so ingredients good, but too matte in finish for me. Despite my oily skin, I love facial oils and rich creams. 

63. Algenist Advanced Anti Aging Repairing Oil foil packet. Nothing remarkable to report. 

64. Soap and Glory Make Yourself Youthful serum foil packet. This is nice. It is quite rich for a serum and the packet says it can even be used without another cream on top if skin is not dry. The company states that it is Swiss made, with plant extracts and is a good budget (around $40) alternative to the costly serums on the market. 

65. Travel size bottle of Uberliss shampoo - has Royal Jelly and Blueberry. This is from a Glossybox of last summer. It's a good thing I used it up, as Glossybox is getting ready to send me another hair product this month. They provide a never ending supply of high end hair items. 

66., 67. Foil packs of Ole Henriksen Truth Serum and Pure Truth face oil (this is a rose hips oil). I thought I would love these, but they were hard to get through. This is a Vitamin C line, and the orange small is just too strong. Quite unbearable for me, and they irritated my skin. 

68. A second foil packet of L'Occitane Divine Eyes eye cream. 

Back