100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continue to work on my foils:

12. Yet another Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream foil - got bored trying to use it up 

13. Fresh Rose Hydrating Eye Gel Cream foil - also got bored using - don't really like the scent of the Fresh products, and they feel greasy to me

14. Yet another of the Josie Maran Bear Naked Nail Wipes in Grapefruit - you have to scrub really hard to get the polish off with it 

15. Thierry Mugler Angel Perfuming Hand Cream - larger foil with square bottom - heavy on the chocolate patchouli note - too heavily perfumed for work, had to use at bedtime

16. Nude Omega Cleansing Jelly foil - loved it; bitter orange scent, great texture. Luxurious to use 

17. Volcano Thermal One Minute Mask - Dollar Tree Brand - liked it - it was one of those masks that heat up when you apply it to a wet face. I enjoyed it more than all the Fresh and Nude foils!  

18., 19., 20. Three foils of Nude Progenius Treatment Oil - Did not like as much as the cleanser

So I have 5 95% used up items in my shower. Makes me want to take 2 showers a day to have them done. One is a full size hair mask that has taken me a year and a half to use up even though I use it regularly. One is a full size facial exfoliating wash I've been using for a year. I will be so excited when they are gone! I think I'm going to post my items even though I'm not at 25 used, which was my own goal. I'm close but I need this for motivation to keep going.

Ok so I do have 25 pictured but in full disclosure I have one more day left in 2 of the foils. Which I will be using tomorrow. So I guess I used 25 in 28 days.

20150127_185658.jpg20150127_185530.jpg20150127_185810.jpg

My next set of empties:

19. Lancome body lotion FS, liked this a lot, very moisturizing

20. Carol’s Daughter conditioner, DS, okay

21. y:t moisturizer, FS, didn’t really care for this, applied it on my arms and hands to use up

22. Faith Aromatheraphy body scrub, DS, liked this, very moisturizing, may have to buy

23. Dermalogica daily exfoliant, DS, liked this but the $$$

24. Yes to Cucumbers facial towelettes, DS, worked better than most I’ve tried

25. Gesichsmaske aloe facial mask, FS, okay, wouldn’t buy

26. Revlon blue eyeliner, FS, the last ¼”broke off when I tried to use it. Like it but UD is my preference

27. Sephora taupe eyeliner, FS, liked the color but it faded and migrated too much

28. Cynthia Rowley lip stain, DS, okay, I wouldn’t buy it

29. Serum/Primer, DS, from birchbox, okay, wouldn’t buy

30. Apothederm serum, DS, didn’t like this at all, too thick, and irritated my skin

31. Lancome eye cream, DS, okay, I have others I like more but for a GWP I use it as my night eye cream

32. John Frieda volume hair spray, FS, like this, have re-purchased

I’ll have to get back to using some of my foils this next round.  I’m glad I am noting what I like and don’t like, so far I see some trends. For example, I shouldn’t buy any more Memeboxes (I purchased three last year) because I have yet to find a product I truly like from the items I have used. And, I should only buy UD eyeliners because all of the other eyeliners I have do not perform as well for me. I have not been impressed with any of the facial masks I have tried so far, perhaps I am looking for a miracle that isn’t possible, lol. 

Instead of dreading using a product in its entirety and generating an 'empty' I have started really looking forward to generating an accumulation of empty containers.  Using the last of something is a strangely satisfying feeling now.  
I totally agree. This project has really helped me stay on this no-buy as well. Not only am I looking forward to finishing products up, it's just plain satisfying, and I'm actually treating my body and skin better! It's a win-win!

I can't wait to post my empties for days 21-30!

I have a feeling during days 31-40 I'm going to be finishing up a LOT of full sized products because I'm like 96% done with a ton of stuff!

My next set of empties:

19. Lancome body lotion FS, liked this a lot, very moisturizing

20. Carol’s Daughter conditioner, DS, okay

21. y:t moisturizer, FS, didn’t really care for this, applied it on my arms and hands to use up

22. Faith Aromatheraphy body scrub, DS, liked this, very moisturizing, may have to buy

23. Dermalogica daily exfoliant, DS, liked this but the $$$

24. Yes to Cucumbers facial towelettes, DS, worked better than most I’ve tried

25. Gesichsmaske aloe facial mask, FS, okay, wouldn’t buy

26. Revlon blue eyeliner, FS, the last ¼”broke off when I tried to use it. Like it but UD is my preference

27. Sephora taupe eyeliner, FS, liked the color but it faded and migrated too much

28. Cynthia Rowley lip stain, DS, okay, I wouldn’t buy it

29. Serum/Primer, DS, from birchbox, okay, wouldn’t buy

30. Apothederm serum, DS, didn’t like this at all, too thick, and irritated my skin

31. Lancome eye cream, DS, okay, I have others I like more but for a GWP I use it as my night eye cream

32. John Frieda volume hair spray, FS, like this, have re-purchased

I’ll have to get back to using some of my foils this next round.  I’m glad I am noting what I like and don’t like, so far I see some trends. For example, I shouldn’t buy any more Memeboxes (I purchased three last year) because I have yet to find a product I truly like from the items I have used. And, I should only buy UD eyeliners because all of the other eyeliners I have do not perform as well for me. I have not been impressed with any of the facial masks I have tried so far, perhaps I am looking for a miracle that isn’t possible, lol. 
I'm not sure what kind of miracle you might be looking for; I found one with getting a bit older (far less acne and oil yay! though knowing there are a few eventual minuses to the aging thing..) and another with the Silk Naturals serums and moisturizers. Of course everyone is different, so I have no idea exactly what the unifying characteristics are for people with skin types for whom these are so fantastic. I actually really like my skin now. I tried all sorts of different drugstore, counter, and specialty expensive brands with frustration; but this stuff just works. The bonus is it's cost-effective too. I don't know if the better price makes my evaluation of it more positive??, but my skin is more soft, smooth, and clear, with smaller pores. I admit I have redness that persists, so it's not 100%, but things rarely are. The products take a bit of getting used to because they are different than your average moisturizer in texture and initial feel. I wasn't impressed at all when I first applied my samples; but then I felt my skin and saw the effect. Happy!

Outside of that, I really enjoy reading the assessments of products too, so thanks everyone for making the notes here! Going through all these products means you have a quick assessment of many things for me and others to consider, or not get. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm astounded by how quickly some of you go through products; I just don't seem to use as much as fast. Of course, foils are little, and I generally don't use foils, though there are some kicking around here too. Hmm.

Last few days I've managed to finish up:

56. Baume Du Randonneur Foot Balm (foil)

57. Aetelier Cologne Trefle Pur (vial

58. Clean Original (vial)

59. Fortune Cookie Soap Co Bath Bomb (Bend Over and I'll Show You)

60. Mario Badescu Collagen Moisturizer (very small jar)

61. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo (foil) x 2

62. Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Conditioner (small tube - one use)

63. Ernest Supplies Awake & Exfoliate Body Bar (deluxe)

64. Josie Maran Argan Infinity Creamy Oil (deluxe)

65. Bliss Grapefruit + Aloe Body Butter (deluxe)

66. L'Occitane Lavande Hand Cream (deluxe)

67. Parian Spirit Brush Cleaner (2 oz) 

68. Perlier Shea Butter Intensive Nurturing Balm (deluxe)

69. Essential Elements Body Lotion (deluxe)

70. Sisley Black Rose Cream Mask (deluxe)

71. Target Brand Nail Polish remover (full size)

I may be able to use a couple more foils in the next few days, but I am getting close to the end of my very small sizes/nearly empty items. Wow... I feel so much lighter, lol. I think I have about six body lotions that I will be able to finish up next month; I cleaned out that area the other day and put the lotions that only had a few days worth of lotion aside to be used up during this 100 days. I think I'll be able to finish up another lipstick, and two more foundations before the 100 days is up too! Focusing on opened items and not allowing myself to open anything else (well, as far as most things go, lol. I reserve the right to open any cosmetic item that I receive in my current sub boxes). 

I'm late to the party but just discovered this thread thanks to a post by @@AliciaKnits in the pan that palette thread.
Very glad I "inspired" you to join ... you can also do a shorter empty goal, such as 50, if 100 seems daunting. I'm shooting for 100, but will most likely end up with 50. Will only have about 10 this month, just seem to be using up more full size items instead of my samples/deluxes.

Better late than never.... here are my empties from days 11-20.

For the past couple days I wanted to do an empties update for days 21-30 though I haven't because I really want to hold out until tomorrow (day 30).  Tomorrow, I might just use the last of a handful of things to make my number a bit higher and that much more satisfying.  Over the last several days I have continued to toss old and/or useless products which I have to admit will never be used or enjoyed.  One thing I can say is since I have been trying out different hair products and giving my hair more TLC than usual - my hair has never looked or felt better than it does right now! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

No pics because I'm a little OCD and just want to throw away/recycle everything right away when I finish it, but more empties, yay!! 

1. DermaDoctor SPF 30 BB cream (foil)
  2. Vichy Serum (foil)
  3. Philosophy Purity Made Simple (FS, my fav cleanser ever, but I have a few to go through before I repurchase)
  4. Beauty Protector Protect & Treat hair mask (sample)
  5. Whish Shave Cream (sample, didn’t like it at all)
  6. Benefit Fakeup (foil, not impressed)
  7. Yves Rocher Matifying gel cream (foil)
  8. FAB cleanser (DS, liked it but prefer Philosophy)
  9. Yves Rocher Serum Vegetal (foil)

Ok, we're on Day 30!!! This is the final day of this stage of the 10-day periods. Technically, I still have many hours to finish up a few things, but I'll give this update in case I don't finish up anything else:

photo 1.JPG

Full Size:

1. B&BW Ski Lodge 3-wick candle

2. Physician's Formula mascara

3. Kroger make-up remover

4. Epielle make-up wipes

5. Shea butter

6. Method handsoap

7. Rite Aid oil blotting papers

Deluxe Size:

8. Lavanila travel size deodorant

9. B&BW Pumpkin and Gingerbread candle

10. Nude Genius Oil

11. Colgate Total mouthwash

12. REN glycolic lactic acid radiance mask

13. Ren rose centriflora cleansing balm

14. Fresh Sugar rose lip balm

Foil Size:

15. Generic nail polish remover wipe

16. Eyeglass lense cleaning wipe

17. Fresh Soy facewash

18. Josie Maran BareNaked nail wipes

19. Origins Mega Bright moisturizer with SPF

20. Sephora body butter

21. Murad Intensive-C peel

I'll put my thoughts about all these products in the 'Used it Up Thread' for January later.

Cumulative Count from Day 1:

Days 1-10: 8 full size, 8 deluxe/foil size

Days 11-20: 6 full size items, 12 deluxe/foil size

Days 21-30: 7 full size, 7 deluxe size, 7 foil size

Cumulative total: 21 full size, 34 deluxe/foil size: 55 total= 55% of the way to my goal of 100!

Also, @@ZeeOmega was talking about cutting open tubes to get all the goods (I think it was her) and I just took a picture of my hand cream tube that I couldn't get more out of no matter how I squeezed and here's the leftover bits. See how there are about 10 more uses, if not more? Amazing!!!

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

I’m glad I am noting what I like and don’t like, so far I see some trends. For example, I shouldn’t buy any more Memeboxes (I purchased three last year) because I have yet to find a product I truly like from the items I have used. And, I should only buy UD eyeliners because all of the other eyeliners I have do not perform as well for me. I have not been impressed with any of the facial masks I have tried so far, perhaps I am looking for a miracle that isn’t possible, lol. 
Awesome assessment and take-away message. I have kind of been figuring some things out for myself too. Like for instance, I really do not like fragranced things for my face. I have this foil packet of an herbal serum, and I'm FORCING myself to use it because I can't stand the smell, even though it's all natural essential oils. It should be easy to go through a foil packet, but it's still sitting in my cubboard.

Going through all these products means you have a quick assessment of many things for me and others to consider, or not get. :) I'm astounded by how quickly some of you go through products; I just don't seem to use as much as fast. Of course, foils are little, and I generally don't use foils, though there are some kicking around here too. Hmm.
I used to be in awe of how fast some people would finish products in the 'used it up' thread, and still am, but I will say that once I started this challenge, I've been just so stoked about finishing products that I find myself using them whenever I get a chance and enjoying it too! I've been finishing things up so fast lately! It's such a good feeling when you have lots of backups waiting.

5. St. Ives Energizing Citrus body wash

Slowly but surely! :p
Slow and steady wins the race!!! ;)

I may be able to use a couple more foils in the next few days, but I am getting close to the end of my very small sizes/nearly empty items. Wow... I feel so much lighter, lol. I think I have about six body lotions that I will be able to finish up next month; I cleaned out that area the other day and put the lotions that only had a few days worth of lotion aside to be used up during this 100 days. I think I'll be able to finish up another lipstick, and two more foundations before the 100 days is up too! Focusing on opened items and not allowing myself to open anything else (well, as far as most things go, lol. I reserve the right to open any cosmetic item that I receive in my current sub boxes). 
Good for you!!!
You are making really great headway!!

you can also do a shorter empty goal, such as 50, if 100 seems daunting. I'm shooting for 100, but will most likely end up with 50. Will only have about 10 this month, just seem to be using up more full size items instead of my samples/deluxes.
Good point!!!

Better late than never.... here are my empties from days 11-20.

For the past couple days I wanted to do an empties update for days 21-30 though I haven't because I really want to hold out until tomorrow (day 30).  Tomorrow, I might just use the last of a handful of things to make my number a bit higher and that much more satisfying.  Over the last several days I have continued to toss old and/or useless products which I have to admit will never be used or enjoyed.  One thing I can say is since I have been trying out different hair products and giving my hair more TLC than usual - my hair has never looked or felt better than it does right now! :)
Wow, that photo is SERIOUSLY inspiring. I need to give my hair some TLC. For some reason I haven't been using my hair samples as much as my skincare ones. Time to work on that in the next 10 days.

No pics because I'm a little OCD and just want to throw away/recycle everything right away when I finish it, but more empties, yay!! 
That's cool- I understand completely! I used to not save my empties, but I am now. I just toss them in a sephora giftbag which hangs on my closet door handle. It doesn't look messy and is strong enough to hold everything for a 10-day increment.

@@avaisdancing I am the same way, lol. I have never taken pictures of my empties because I wouldn't be able to handle having them sitting around. I just keep track on a word doc and post in the "official used it up" thread (sorry...on phone; can't link) at the end of the month and periodically in this thread.
I'm afraid I'd forget what I used up without tossing them all in one place, plus, I like photos, hahah! I'm weird!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my empties update for days 21-30.

My d/s Lancome BiFacil is on the list now because I will certainly finish the last of it before bed tonight.  Surely this will be the only product I finish off today.

I feel like I did very well especially considering that I got off to a slow start for days 21-30.  For days 31-40 I think I will continue to use lots of items from my stash.  Right now I am working on a bunch of different products and I am close to finishing off a handful of them, hopefully inside the next one to two days.

Sometime inside days 31-40 I think I am going to manage to use my 100th item from my beauty stash and that is far faster than I anticipated in the beginning.  Once I use item #100 I will post an update and a picture of all 100 empties!  As I said before I am treating this as a 100 day challenge and not a 100 item challenge so I will continue using items from my stash and posting progress!  

Days 21-30

51. Pacifica face wipes f/s
52. Michael Kors Sexy Amber perfume vial
53. Pantene sheer volume d/s shampoo sample
54. Pantene sheer volume conditioner d/s
55. Vasanti exfoliator d/s
56. H2O body wash sample d/s
57. Benefit total moisture d/s
58. Lancome Genifique eye cream foils x2
59. Lancome Genifique eye cream foils x2
60. Lancome Tresor perfume vial
61. Lancome Tresor perfume vial (yes, there were two)
62. Lancome eyelash primer f/s – toss & replace
63. Hanae perfume vial
64. Aveeno Body Lotion d/s
65. H2O face cleanser
66. Amika dry shampoo d/s
67. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Limon Verde perfume vial
68. Tocca Hand Cream d/s
69. Bamboo shampoo & conditioner foils
70. 29 cosmetics cleanser & serum foils
71. See by Chloe perfume vial
72. Calvin Klein Euphoria Perfume Vial
73. Marc Jacobs lip gloss d/s
74. Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion d/s
75. Vitabath cherry body wash d/s
76. EVA NYC hair mask d/s
77. Lancome Nutrix body lotion d/s
78. Clear conditioner d/s
79. Dior J’adore perfume vial
80. Lancome BiFacil d/s

81. Swarovski Miss Aura Perfume Vial*

*I forgot to add this item to my list of used products earlier today so here it is. 

Here's the list of the items I tossed.

• I gave a family member 4 pristine unopened tubes of lip gloss from GWPs & PWPs and I have four more to give away. Since I have too many lip products I want to give away unopened ones before they go bad – hopefully this way they will be used.
• Hikari (BaB) eyeliner from Ipsy – I swatched it and it just did not impress me, tossed.
• Cake beauty hand cream f/s – smelled funny (old), tossed.
• Professional Massage lotion warming f/s– old & separated (so gross), tossed.
• Joico K-Pak f/s – old (mostly used), tossed.
• Lanisoh – tossed (my youngest child is 3 years old…)
• Clinique powdered bronzer – it’s so old I am sure it was new when the earth was still cooling.
• OPI Baby Its “Coal” Outside – I found this in the back of my medicine cabinet where I think it has been sitting for about five years. This nail polish is so badly separated I think the top third is a different colour than the bottom two thirds …time for it to go!!!

Here's my photo of empties.

Here's my empties update for days 21-30.  I will post a photo of my empties soon!

My d/s Lancome BiFacil is on the list now because I will certainly finish the last of it before bed tonight.  Surely this will be the only product I finish off today.

I feel like I did very well especially considering that I got off to a slow start for days 21-30.  For days 31-40 I think I will continue to use lots of items from my stash.  Right now I am working on a bunch of different products and I am close to finishing off a handful of them, hopefully inside the next one to two days.

Sometime inside days 31-40 I think I am going to manage to use my 100th item from my beauty stash and that is far faster than I anticipated in the beginning.  Once I use item #100 I will post an update and a picture of all 100 empties!  As I said before I am treating this as a 100 day challenge and not a 100 item challenge so I will continue using items from my stash and posting progress!  

Days 21-30

51. Pacifica face wipes f/s

52. Michael Kors Sexy Amber perfume vial

53. Pantene sheer volume d/s shampoo sample

54. Pantene sheer volume conditioner d/s

55. Vasanti exfoliator d/s

56. H2O body wash sample d/s

57. Benefit total moisture d/s

58. Lancome Genifique eye cream foils x2

59. Lancome Genifique eye cream foils x2

60. Lancome Tresor perfume vial

61. Lancome Tresor perfume vial (yes, there were two)

62. Lancome eyelash primer f/s – toss & replace

63. Hanae perfume vial

64. Aveeno Body Lotion d/s

65. H2O face cleanser

66. Amika dry shampoo d/s

67. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Limon Verde perfume vial

68. Tocca Hand Cream d/s

69. Bamboo shampoo & conditioner foils

70. 29 cosmetics cleanser & serum foils

71. See by Chloe perfume vial

72. Calvin Klein Euphoria Perfume Vial

73. Marc Jacobs lip gloss d/s

74. Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion d/s

75. Vitabath cherry body wash d/s

76. EVA NYC hair mask d/s

77. Lancome Nutrix body lotion d/s

78. Clear conditioner d/s

79. Dior J’adore perfume vial

80. Lancome BiFacil d/s
Wow!

I also have to say your signature line(s) are very inspiring. I kind of wish you were right here literally to further motivate me along those 'de-clutter and purge' lines! I know it's a needed process for improving my quality of life too!

Speaking of which (off-topic), I will now [just a sec, going to do it... OK, I actually did it, but it was ridiculously and irrationally hard] ||| threw out a bra that needed to go. Only the satiny-spandex outer surface fabric was holding the cup part to the strap part. It was doing nothing for me! Yet I was keeping it, and even sometimes wearing it. Why?

Anyway, I don't think anyone wants an image of that one. One, though it doesn't count for this list, done. Phew!

Thank-you! :blush:

Now for the many similarly umm?.. makeup and non-makeup things kicking around here.

@@eastofthesun Haha, yea that was me in this thread, though I learned it from someone else in one of the other threads some time back. Crazy, isn't it? The first time I cut open a tube I was both shocked and disheartened by how much was in there. I had already gotten all excited about finishing a product and was mentally ready to open the replacement and then suddenly the prospect of opening something new got further away. Also, it made me feel a bit horrible realizing how much product had been wasted in the past before I started cutting the tubes.

Wow!

I also have to say your signature line(s) are very inspiring. I kind of wish you were right here literally to further motivate me along those 'de-clutter and purge' lines! I know it's a needed process for improving my quality of life too!

Thank-you! :blush:

Now for the many similarly umm?.. makeup and non-makeup things kicking around here.
Thank you so much for your kind words.

This year I am trying to push myself outside my comfort zone to form some new habits and hopefully a healthier mindset.  So far I feel like I'm doing alright.  

Hopefully you can push yourself outside your comfort zone in a good way to purge the things you no longer need.  Surely it will challenging but once you get started it will feel liberating.

Behind but here's my empties for days 11-20.  I still have a couple from days 21-30 to add to my spreadsheet.

Full Size

Degree Clinical Protection Anti-persirant

Epicuren Tropical Lave

Deluxe Size

Burt's Bees Intense Hydration Day Lotion

L'occitane Shea Hand Cream

Foil/Single Use

Etude House It's Real Mini Sweet Pumpkin

Dior Nude BB Creme

100% Pure Honey Cream Wash

Nars tinted moisturizer

Philosophy purity made simple

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner

I used 10 this period too! Yay!  I've really found this project helpful to help motivate me to actually use my stuff.  And I don't mind bring in more samples through my one Birchbox sub since I'm finishing waaaay more than five a month.  I'm also finding that writing down my opinions on what I use up is very helpful in determining what I want to make a regular part of my routine; I've decided on a face wash and a shampoo I want to add to my routine.  Hopefully continuing to work through my stash I'll find even more things that work better for me than what I'm currently using.

Latest posts

Back