100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it can take me 2-3 uses per foil.  Is  that common or are most single use?
I have a Tarte blush card that I've been using for like 2 weeks and have barely made a dent in.  Was not expecting a piece of paper to last so long.

On the flip side I had a Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer sample that covered maybe a third of my face?

Days 21-30:

4 Full Sized

4 Deluxe Sized

14 foils

2 Pefumes

Totals days 1-30:

13 Full Sized

8 Deluxe Sized

62 Foils

8 Pefumes

Total Products used up: 91

The next set of days is going to be harder as I am mostly through foils.  I am just going to keep using things up though and since I am starting on the smallest things and working my way up will hopefully continue to see progress!

Running totals up to day 30:

• 24 foil (pairs)
  • 13 vials
  • 35 deluxe samples
  • 9 full-sized products

Evidently, I have accumulated a lot of samples. Some of these samples are from free samples with purchases from various retailers. Others are from GWPs and PWPs. I also have samples from beauty subscriptions.

Tossed:

• 6 of 36 were destroyed
  • 4 of 36 gave away
  • 2 of 36 cosmetic bags (1 damaged, 1 ugly)
  • 24 of 36 old/expired products

Even though its my house and my stuff I didn't really realize that I had so many old/expired items - many of which were full-sized. Honestly, I'm kind of embarrassed that I allowed all of these useless things accumulate and just take up space over the years. Moving forward, I am just glad that I am getting rid of things that I don't need and won't use.

A LOOK BACK AT MY MONTH OF JANUARY EMPTIES. NEWEST AT BOTTOM.

Here are my empties from days 1-10.

FULL SIZE:4

Avon Footworks cream: I was given this as a gift. It was just OK. WNR

Yes to Carrots shampoo: I didn't like this as a shampoo. WNR

Up & Up polish remover: it does the job and is cheap. I have already repurchased.

Simpatico hand cream: worked really well on my dry winter hands. WNR

DELUXE SIZE:5

Jergens BB Body: This was not great. WNR

Whish Shaving Cream: I did not like this at all. WNR

Alterna Caviar Omega nourishing oil: Love this. WR

Bobbi Brown Mascara: Left dark smudges under my eyes. WNR

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion: Just OK. WNR

RUNNING TOTAL = 9 EMPTIES

Here are my empties from days 11-20.

FULL SIZE:3

Black Raspberry Vanilla body splash BBW - Took forever! WR

Dove Go Sleeveless deodorant - I really liked this. Lasted all day. WR

Loreal Magic BB in Fair - Oxidized too orange for my ultra pale self. WNR

DELUXE SIZE:3

Olay Tone Perfecting Cream - nice, but too small to really tell.

Estée Lauder Enlighten Serum - again, this was nice, but too small to really tell.

Oribe Shampoo - WNR

FOILS:11

There were 11 total foils here. I have nearly nothing to say about them, so I am lumping them together. I don't like foils because it is virtually impossible to tell if a product works for you. WNR any.

RUNNING TOTAL = 26 EMPTIES

Here are my empties for days 21-30.

FULL SIZE:4

Yes To Blueberries Wipes - OK. Probably WNR.

Bare Minerals Well Rested - Didn't really do anything for me. WNR

FrizzEase Straight Fixation - OK. I like hair oils better. WNR

Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Booster - Did nothing. WNR

DELUXE SIZE:5

Benefit Porefessional - I liked this. WR

Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel - brightened my skin. Might repurchase.

Nivea body lotion. Just OK. WNR

Tarte Amazonian Clay mask. Not enough to really tell. OK. WNR

Random scrub. Label came off. Too harsh for face. Used on body. OK. WNR

FOILS:1

Lorac porfection - OK. Might repurchase.

RUNNING TOTAL = 36 EMPTIES

Photo of days 21-30 empties:

image.jpg

A few more to add for the EOM

33. be delectable hand cream, FS, smelled great, not very moisturizing

34. Jane Iredale lip drink, DS, okay, wouldn't buy

35. foils, nivea body lotion and 100% pure body lotion 

36. Marcelle BB cream, DS, i liked this but have another BB I like better

37. Shiseido crema super face cream, DS, very heavy and very heavy scented, would not buy

Wow, more than I thought I would have after a month! Hope next month is as prolific.

Here they are! My day 21-30 empties!  Full list and reviews spoilered below!

Botanical Solutions Argan Oil shampoo-I've had this forever, it's from my salon from 2 states ago! It tends to weigh my hair down, but it was great on my newly-dyed hair to give it some moisture. Would not repurchase.

VS Passion Struck Body Butter-I loved the smell and it did alright moisturizing. I might repurchase the scent in another form.

Lush Let the Good Times Roll - One of my HG face scrubs, a good balance of moisture and exfoliation. I'll definitely repurchase, but I have a ton of samples of cleansers to go through.

Kloraine Makeup remover water with cornflower - Love it and have repurchased because I'm out of makeup remover. It does a great job of removing eye makeup without irritation.

Julep Eye Glider in Black with sparkles (not the official name)-Part of the Holiday set from 2 years ago. I got a stye in my eye shortly after starting to use this regularly, so I'm trashing it. I suspect the stye came from the glitter in this or the old mascara I listed below. As an eyeliner, it was fine, I've certainly used worse, but it wasn't anything special.

Paula's Choice Resist Moisture Renewal Oil Booster-LOVE IT! I already repurchased (allowed because I have no other face oils). It's the only thing that has kept my skin somewhat happy though the winter and using up face cleansers. Thank you birchbox!

Balance Me eye cream-Meh, didn't do much.

Josie Maran Argan Infinity lip and cheek stain in Limitless Pink-I loved the color, but it didn't last and the packaging was super impractical. I don't know that the actual tube would be any better. Any recommendations of other products that have a similar color?

Covergirl exact eyelights in Black Sapphire- Didn't do much beyond a standard mascara. Threw out because of my stye.

Total: 9

Running Total (for the 100 days): 32

I'm aiming for 50 empties in 100 days, so I'm shocked and impressed that I'm keeping up with a 1 empty per day rate.

Edited to format my list more clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I slowed down a little from traveling.

32. Coconut soap sample x 2  -GoodeBox- great for days that I used scrubs because the scents did not compete.

33. Painted Earth Mint Victorian Charm mini lipgloss -Little Lace Box - Loved the color and minty smell.

34. Balanced guru energy mist Intution - Eco Emi - Love it

35. :wub:   Tatcha  :wub:   INDIGO soothing silk body butter - travel size - Love it.

36. Pre de Provence Lavender Body Cream (body butter- Little Lace Box -FS- Another hit. I emailed them to find out it will be back in stock.

37. Lotus Wei Inner Peace Mist - GoodeBox - DS - I think it worked.

38. Earthbody Dream Body Oil - Petit Vour - DS - It felt like going to the spa :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

39. Dancin' Goat Java Jive Bye, Bye Cellulite Scrub -Eco Emi-FS- Smells good.

40. Hillhouse Naturals Vintage Farmhouse Candle Evergreen - Loved the scent

I feel redundant posting on both empty threads. I used 3 sheet masks from a box of 10. Should I count the 3 now or count the box when it is empty?

I feel redundant posting on both empty threads. I used 3 sheet masks from a box of 10. Should I count the 3 now or count the box when it is empty?
Its your call.  For what its worth, I count foils & single use products such as Crest Whitestrips & sheet masks in pairs as one used item.  The sheet masks I have are single items I received in a beauty beauty boxes, I didn't buy them in a box of ten (or similar).

Its time for take a break from using so many random samples and I need to start using the same products consistently for at least a couple weeks. The skin on my face is looking like its getting ready for a nasty breakout.  Now may be a good time to try out the acne product samples in my stash?  Part of me was afraid something like this was going to happen.  Though, I will continue to use samples of haircare and bath/body items.  There is still sooo much makeup...
This is one of the reasons I have been so hesitant to use up a lot of my samples. My skin breaks out so easily, it likes consistency. Also I've been having some issues with it, and I'll be going on vacation in mid-March. Every time I go to grab a sample I just freeze and think "I don't want my skin all screwy when I go away. I should wait."  Like you said though, there's plenty of haircare and makeup to be used up.

This is one of the reasons I have been so hesitant to use up a lot of my samples. My skin breaks out so easily, it likes consistency. Also I've been having some issues with it, and I'll be going on vacation in mid-March. Every time I go to grab a sample I just freeze and think "I don't want my skin all screwy when I go away. I should wait."  Like you said though, there's plenty of haircare and makeup to be used up.
 I'm having this same problem. For a while I was on a mission to use up my samples but ended up messing up my skin. I stay away from samples now for the most part but if I do want to try something, I make sure I only try one at a time. This way if my skin gets all weird, I know it was that particular sample that caused it and by getting back to my usual skin care routine usually fixes the problem. I love samples and have tons of them and wish my skin didn't react so much so quickly like it does when trying something new.

21. Dove Deep Moisture Nourishing Body Wash - I had impulsively signed up for Beauty Box 5 at the end of 2014, but cancelled because they sent me unexciting samples like this one. However, they sent me one thing I was thrilled with, because I knew I was going to be starting this no buy:

Extend Your Beauty Cosmetic Tool. It is a special wand that helps you extract that last bit of product from your bottles. Thanks Beauty Box 5! 

22. Deborah Lippmann The Stripper to Go - single use foil. I did not like it. I always have trouble getting the polish off near the nail edges, and I had even less control to do so with the little mitt. Plus it has acetone and you have to use it with ventilation - although the lavender essential oil makes it nicer to use. 

23. Caudalie Vinosource Serum foil. Such a cute foil-pink, and shaped like a tiny sour cream packet. But it was hard to get the product out of it. 

24. Caudalie Vinsource Moisturizing Sorbet - Vinosource is Caudalie's hydrating line. This cream feels wonderful on the skin. Though Caudalie products are strongly scented, the scent dissapates upon application. 

I have been keeping track to  get  to  the 100 to coincide with my 100 day no buy.    so far so good  1 small purchase ( it was a face sponge).   I have used up about 15 products  mix of fs/ds/foils  but will post my list once I hit 25.  I cant  really see a difference in my stash yet  but am feeling  positive that I am on on way..

My empties for the 3rd 10 day set.

36. Travel toothbrush - not sure how old
37. See by Chloe sample
38. MAC Zoom Lash Mascara- deluxe sample
39. Clear Conditioner - full size
40. Lancome concealer - sample pod
41. Priori moisturizer -foil
42. Olay Regenerist Mositurizer - full size
Not pictured
43. Sephora Moisturizer - foil
44. Sephora Moisturizer - foil
45.Sampoo Sample - travel size
46. Conditioner sample - travel size
47. Body Wash - Travel size

I haven't posted any empties yet, so these are mine starting from day 1.. there may have been more, but since I hadn't emptied the bag and accounted for Dec, these are the ones I definitely remember finishing in Jan.

1. Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle (full size)
  2. Beauty Protector Protect & Shampoo (deluxe sample)
  3. Beauty Protector Protect & Condition (deluxe sample)
  4. Beauty Protector Protect & Oil (deluxe sample)
  5. C.O. Bigelow No 4103 Shampoo (deluxe sample)
  6. C.O. Bigelow No 4103 Shampoo (deluxe sample)
  7. C.O. Bigelow No 4104 Conditioner (deluxe sample)
  8. C.O. Bigelow No 4104 Conditioner (deluxe sample)
  9. Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion SPF 30 (deluxe sample)
  10. EVA NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask (deluxe sample)
  11. L’Oreal Advanced Haircare Volume Filler Shampoo and Conditioner (foil)
  12. L’Oreal Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm (foil)
  13. Lumene Vitamin C+ Pure Radiance Night Cream (deluxe sample)
  14. MD Solar Sciences Mineral Tinted Creme SPF 30 (deluxe sample)
  15. Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub (travel size)
  16. Nutra Nail Bullet-Proof Strength (full size)
  17. Number 4 Lumiere d’hiver Reconstructing Masque (foil)
  18. Origins Checks and Balances foaming face wash (travel size)
  19. Paula’s Choice Clear Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution (travel size)
  20. Pixi Tinted Brilliance Balm in Unique Pink (deluxe sample)
  21. Sephora Express Nail Polish Remover (travel size)
  22. Tarina Tarantino Magic Hour Cream Shadow in Golden Shadow (full size) TRASH
  23. The Body Shop Seaweed Clarifying Toner (full size)

Just started this on Jan 25th...!

1) Clinique almost lipstick in black honey FS - A staple for me, already cracked open my backup.

2) 1 minute hand scrub true blue spa FS - Lasted forever, will rebuy if they still sell it.

3) Lush vanishing cream moisturizer DS - Prefer gorgeous by far.

4) Bite Lush Fruit Lip Gloss in Currant DS - Loved, will buy again!

5) DR. JART+ Water Fuse Water-Full Hydrogel Mask 1 MASK - two piece mask that made it be a universal fit for my tiny face. Overlapped on cheek but it was awesome- most masks are very badly aligned on me.

6) Boscia black mask DS - I am an exfoliate-a-holic. A mask that I see hair and gunk on when I peel it off is strangely exciting.

7) Philosophy pure grace 3 in 1 LITER - One of my all time favorite scents but it's time to use up my Lush body washes.

8) Yes to Carrots cleansing wipes FS - My second round of these. Decent quality for the price.

9) Sephora Rose Sheet Mask 1 MASK - Meh. Doubt I'll re-buy.

10) Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel FOIL - Nothing special.

12) Clinique Acne Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel FOIL - didn't like on whole face but a good spot treatment (directions said either, so I tried both).

13) Origins Clear Improvement DS - Love these and tend to hoard the samples!

14) Almay oil free gentle eye makeup remover pads FS - Great for travel when I try to slim down my routine.

I'll check in again @ the end of Feb / beginning of Mar with an updated list and pic! Keep up the good work everyone!

Major cleanup today in our house... It feels amazing to throw away/recycle/give away so much stuff! I threw away LOTS of beauty items I've had for YEARS. I feel amazing (but exhausted, it's been a long day).

1. Yves Rocher Green Tea shower gel (FS, I buy these when I don’t want to spend a lot on SG, but didn’t love the smell)
  2. Yves Rocher Youth Elixir (foil)
  3. Escada Sunset Heat perfume (threw away, I don’t wear perfume anymore and it’s soooo old!)
  4. Another Escada Perfume I’ve had for years (threw away)
  5. Nivea Lip Smoothie (major cleanup, threw away, I don’t like it)
  6. La Senza gloss (old and expired… threw away)
  7. Baby Lips gloss/lipstick (threw away didn't like color)
  8. Live Clean Argan Oil (threw away)
  9. Lush massage bar (threw away)
  10. Lush massage bar (threw away)
  11. Fruits & Passion Frosted Birch Hand Soap (FS)
  12. Fruits & Passion Frosted Birch Hand Cream (FS)

Back