2014 Beauty New Years Resolutions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-Stop hoarding/spending too much on makeup. As much as I feel like I need every single neutral palette in the entire world, I don't. I hate digging through my stash and realizing I've had something for at least 3-4 years and used it once. (*cough Smashbox cream liner palette)

-Make a Master List of my must-have beauty items, and give myself a strict budget for non-must haves (Ipsy/Birchbox etc)

-Get rid of some of my super old palettes. I have a quad from Urban Decay from over a decade ago. Yikes.

-Get into a skincare routine that works for me, and no more using a baby wipe to take off my makeup as I hit the pillow. I need to commit to a GOOD routine! haha :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Get rid of some of my super old palettes. I have a quad from Urban Decay from over a decade ago. Yikes.
^^^^^^^^ This!  I have so many of their older palettes that I keep because they are pretty.  I am seriously even thinking of ditching my Naked 2, I just don't use it often.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bikerchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  ^^^^^^^^ This!  I have so many of their older palettes that I keep because they are pretty.  I am seriously even thinking of ditching my Naked 2, I just don't use it often.
I could probably open a museum with some of the makeup I have. I have a lipstick from Too Faced from the first year they existed. I bought it with my allowance at Cherry &Webb...if anyone even remembers that store, LOL. I obviously don't use it anymore and it's almost gone anyway, but the classic packaging on some of my favorite brands is always fun to show people!

• Only buy products I absolutely need (and by "Absolutely" I mean completely out of or I have NOTHING like it at all)
  • Try to find and use foundation....I hate foundation and do not want to try and find a good one but this is a goal
  • I wear a lot of dark colors but I want to try something out of my comfort zone with more intense looks. More smokey eyes and intricate looks
  • There have been way too many months with $200+ being spent on makeup. In August I spent $400+. That is wayy too much! I will only buy makeup when I go to Chicago. No online shopping! (there is not Ulta or Sephora where I am now)
  • Continue the Monday club
  • To realize that I do not need a product because it has a cool name or cute packaging (This is a MAJOR problem for me)

I'm not giving myself a super strict limit on makeup buying just because I usually can't afford it anyway. My main thing is to save more money. I really want an Alex 9 drawer and a clarisonic Mia 2. I'm too young to have a job so when my YouTube money comes in I will be saving it for that. Also for me to stop being pulled in by sales! I honestly keep falling into sales traps and I need to show some restraint. I'm still BI at sephora, and I'm not going to try for VIB or anything because I know I'm going to end up spending a lot more money than I was planning on. Idk what else right now, but I will add to this when I figure out the rest.

For me:

1. Better skincare - Sometimes I get stuck in routines, and get afraid to try other (and also probably better) regimens and products.

2. Improve my technique - I'm still pretty new, and need a lot of work on anything more than basics.

3. Nails - I used to wear stick-on/glue-on nails often, so now I'm still need a LOT of practice actually painting my nails lol

4. Experiment more - As mentioned previously, I tend to get into a routine (especially when rushed), and sometimes I find myself doing the same look over and over.  I'd love to be more creative and try new looks like many of the people here.

My goals:

1. Find a drugstore moisturizer I like. My fav moisturizer is H2O Aquafirm, but it is way too expensive. I just wish I could find some samples before I buy because I hate buying a product and then not use it because it makes me breakout.

2. Get back to doing my nails twice a week. My polish stash wouldn't get any smaller if I don't use it.

For me: 1. Better skincare - Sometimes I get stuck in routines, and get afraid to try other (and also probably better) regimens and products. 2. Improve my technique - I'm still pretty new, and need a lot of work on anything more than basics. 3. Nails - I used to wear stick-on/glue-on nails often, so now I'm still need a LOT of practice actually painting my nails lol 4. Experiment more - As mentioned previously, I tend to get into a routine (especially when rushed), and sometimes I find myself doing the same look over and over.  I'd love to be more creative and try new looks like many of the people here.
You should join the Monday Club on here. They switch up their makeup products each week so they're forced to use different items.

Quote: Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should join the Monday Club on here. They switch up their makeup products each week so they're forced to use different items.
Great idea. Sounds fun too; I'll definitely have to check that out.  Thanks!

I also want to pay off debt this year so I'm contemplating going no-beauty product buy for the year.
icon_eek.gif
The stipulation would be that I still get my LeMetier monthly box since it's paid for, and I get to renew that sub if it reopens because it's epic. Other than that I will not purchase anything unless I have NO backups. I can't imagine not having backups of backups of backups but you never know.

I went no lipstick buy this year and I think I only slipped up and bought 2 products the entire year. If I can have that kind of success I would be thrilled!

1. Finish up and use most of my makeup items (foundations, blushes, eyeshadows, ipsy stuff).

2. Do not buy any more random purchases unless I really need it.

3. Take care of my skin.

4. Learn to do more eyeshadow looks. I seriously put one color all over my lids everyday.

5. Organize my makeup corner in my bathroom. 

My goals:

-To set up and continue to use a skin care routine

-To only buy items I absolutely need

-To use items I already have (unless they are absolutely terrible) before I buy more of the same type of item

Lets see, my beauty resolution list is pretty straight forward. -Only buy necessities once they run out. (Foundation, lip balm, mascara) -Put the emails from ulta and sephora in my spam. -Grow out my hair. -Get my hair done every month and a half. -Do my makeup everyday. -Attempt to use up all the products I have. -Stop hoarding. (Such a frightening thought)

My resolutions!

No buy for January.

Each month, I will be able to buy the top item (or items if under $50 or so) from my ongoing wishlist.

I think this is more realistic, for me, rather than declaring a hard no-buy other than essentials for a whole year.

Quote: Originally Posted by KellyKaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lets see, my beauty resolution list is pretty straight forward.
-Only buy necessities once they run out. (Foundation, lip balm, mascara)
-Put the emails from ulta and sephora in my spam.
-Grow out my hair.
-Get my hair done every month and a half.
-Do my makeup everyday.
-Attempt to use up all the products I have.
-Stop hoarding. (Such a frightening thought)
I meantto ad growing my hair out too!  How long is yours now?

I meantto ad growing my hair out too!  How long is yours now?
It's just to my shoulders... I want to take much better care of it this coming up year. I've never really had long hair and I want to see how it looks on me. We can do this!

My resolutions! No buy for January. Each month, I will be able to buy the top item (or items if under $50 or so) from my ongoing wishlist. I think this is more realistic, for me, rather than declaring a hard no-buy other than essentials for a whole year.
That's a great plan! I think it will work out a lot better than a complete no buy.

This is a great idea! I always make (but usually fail) resolutions for other things, but never beauty. So... I have a pile of stuff I want to use up, mostly older eyeliners, lipsticks, lip balms, and two foundations. I'm restricting my beauty spending to only buying replacements or something very different from what I already have (which is what I did last year for simplicity/budgetary reasons and it was fairly successful). I'm also trying to perfect a skincare routine, but that one might be harder since my skin is a) freaking out for reasons unknown and B) the lovely winter weather is not helping my efforts.

My 2014 beauty resolutions:

-save up all the money I need for IMATS NYC
-STRICTLY not buying any makeup palettes (I have well over 150)
-whiten my teeth 
-stop biting my lips; grow out my nails and stop biting them (I have nervous tendencies)
-start making YouTube videos again
-save up money to buy an Alex 9 drawer set and finally have a collection that's organized and worth looking at

Good luck to everyone on their 2014 beauty revolutions!

Back