2014 Beauty New Years Resolutions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goal is to simplify. This applies to all areas of my life, but as it pertains to beauty, like most others my goal is to use what I have before buying more. I want to do a no-buy from January through March, but that sounds overwhelming so I'm taking it one month at a time. After that it will be a very restrictive low buy for most of the year. I have enough of most things to last all year. The only thing I can think of that I will need to buy within the next several months is foundation. I also will only buy cruelty free products from here on out. I actually started doing this about 6 months ago and have expanded this to household products and will start rolling out to other areas like what foods I eat etc. But I shouldn't have to worry too much about the beauty products since I will only be buying things when I run out.

My goal is to find a better way to organize all of my makeup! It's been a bit difficult to actually USE everything because I actually apply my makeup while sitting on the floor at my coffee table in my living room. I have a traincase with my main makeup in it, my brushes in their roll-open bag, my palettes all in a caboodles case and my eyeliners in a roll out makeup brush bag as well. Oh! and I have a portable mirror too. All of this I have to pull out to put makeup on and sometimes I get lazy and just grab the first palette I see because I don't want to have to dig through it all.
frown.gif
I feel like I'm just not using everything evenly. Some palettes I have barely touched.

Hold the phone....BIG TIME RESOLUTION.....save money....to build new house (we are actually doing this)....to build vanity/walk-in closet area....with an awesome desk/mirror/lighting and fab organizers for all the makeup. WHEW. I'd say that's a plenty big enough resolution to last this year out with!

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My goal is to find a better way to organize all of my makeup! It's been a bit difficult to actually USE everything because I actually apply my makeup while sitting on the floor at my coffee table in my living room. I have a traincase with my main makeup in it, my brushes in their roll-open bag, my palettes all in a caboodles case and my eyeliners in a roll out makeup brush bag as well. Oh! and I have a portable mirror too. All of this I have to pull out to put makeup on and sometimes I get lazy and just grab the first palette I see because I don't want to have to dig through it all.
frown.gif
I feel like I'm just not using everything evenly. Some palettes I have barely touched.

Hold the phone....BIG TIME RESOLUTION.....save money....to build new house (we are actually doing this)....to build vanity/walk-in closet area....with an awesome desk/mirror/lighting and fab organizers for all the makeup. WHEW. I'd say that's a plenty big enough resolution to last this year out with!
I think you'd get some good out of The Monday Club -- if you find yourself just grabbing the first thing you see. The concept is you pick your items on Sunday and put them in a basket, then use them for the week! that way you rotate through your unused items :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think you'd get some good out of The Monday Club -- if you find yourself just grabbing the first thing you see. The concept is you pick your items on Sunday and put them in a basket, then use them for the week! that way you rotate through your unused items :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
Agreed. @CheshireCookie NEEDS The Monday Club!

My husband built me a vanity for Christmas because I was standing in a poorly lit bathroom trying to put makeup on with two kids running around. Needless to say I needed a vanity so much.

Agreed. @CheshireCookie NEEDS The Monday Club! My husband built me a vanity for Christmas because I was standing in a poorly lit bathroom trying to put makeup on with two kids running around. Needless to say I needed a vanity so much.
I'm getting my vanity tomorrow! I am so excited.

+ throw away old makeup that I probably won't ever use + drink more water! As a person with rosacea, I feel this is extra important for my skincare. + don't buy any more products if I already have something similar. Example: don't buy any mascara until I finish all the ones I have. Even to restock my HG. + Spend less money on makeup and more on clothes. Most of my clothes are really old and have tiny holes and it's just time to pay attention to that... even though I hate shopping for clothes :/

These are some great resolutions. I love the idea of paying yourself to exercise, I just might have to adopt that one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> For me last year was super successful in terms of getting organized. I bought a 9 drawer Alex and now my stash is looking pretty good. Before that I had a 4 drawer similar piece which I still have and is filled with eye shadow pallets. So now I have 2 pieces of furniture in my closet filled with makeup. I should probably be ashamed... In November I did a major de-stash, it was sad to basically see tons of $ in the trash but overall felt great to get rid of stuff I never use. It has also taught me to be a lot more choosy since then. Anyway further resolutions: • Continue the de-stash. If something doesn't work it gets tossed. At this point if I don't like something I know I will have something within the same category that I do like so the disliked item can be tossed instead of trying to find ways to make it work when I already have something else almost the same and better. • No perfume. Period. This resolution carries over from last year. I have so much perfume it is outta hand. The bottom drawer of my Alex is filled with perfume bottles. What I started last year is to use them up one at a time so I can get rid of the bottles one by one. This has been somewhat successful thus far. • Get rid of barely used pallets. I only wear neutrals. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought more vibrant pallets (Urban Decay 15 year anniversary pallet, book of shadows III, etc). These have been particularly hard for me to part with, but in reality they have to go. • Continue a good skin care regimen. I have been on a roll since last year and will continue. • Shop my stash before shopping Sephora. Ever since I implemented this in October it has been going quite well. • Subscription boxes: Ipsy has to go. It just has to, yet I can never bring myself to cut it off. It is extremely rare that I find a product from Ipsy that has made it in to my daily routine. In fact, in the 7-8 months of being subbed I have found maybe 4-5 products that I use. The rest have either been given away, traded, or remain unused. Julep: I won't cancel, but I have begun to only take my box if I like everything included. Last year I ended up with so many duds that I was able to give 11 people Julep polishes as stocking stuffers. Some of them received multiple polishes. Sample Society: this sub is hit or miss for me. I love it, but I tend to get more of the same so I should probably cancel until I use up what I have. • Stop searching for the perfect BB Cream and Tinted Moisturizer. I cannot stop buying these, but the reality is that I already have 2 that I love and need to stop buying more. (My 2 loves are the Nars Tinted Moisturizer and Smashbox BB Cream). • Use up more than I buy.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Agreed. @CheshireCookie NEEDS The Monday Club!

My husband built me a vanity for Christmas because I was standing in a poorly lit bathroom trying to put makeup on with two kids running around. Needless to say I needed a vanity so much.

What is this awesomeness you speak of?! Do tell! Where is it?! LOL

Quote: Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The Monday Club helps you use products you keep neglecting. Check it out!

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138575/the-monday-club
Yay, thanks for the link! I have a few resolutions up on my blog, but my major ones are a (modified) Project Pan, creating a makeup inventory (yikes), creating a "Spend Sheet," where I keep track of all my 2014 purchases, continue towards a more CF approach to beauty, and looking for smaller/independent cosmetic brands to support. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have loved reading your New Years Resolutions! A lot of you had really good ideas. That pay yourself to exercise thing may be the most ingenious motivation ever!

These are my 2014 resolutions:

+ Find a skin care routine that fits me. I have really been neglecting my skin.

+ Workout and lose the 20 pounds that just keeps weighing me down! I lost around 13 last year, but gained 5 back.

+ Eat healthier foods! I know this will greatly improve my skin. I eat too much grab-n-go food!

+ Purchase a Naked palette [cannot decide which one to get, but it will probably be Naked 3].

+ Build on my makeup necessities. All my makeup fits in one small 5 drawer plastic container. Only a foot tall. Honest.

+ Join a subscription box company. I have never tried one. :3 

+ Find an eye cream.

+ Start the YouTube channel. I have wanted to start one for a long long long time... but never got up enough nerve. I will do it this year!

+ Start the daily blog updates of my beauty escapades! [reviews and discussions going up tomorrow! woot woot!]

+ NO IMPULSE BUYS! This isn't limited to beauty, but my goodness I end up getting so much stuff I just don't need! The things I could buy with that money... 

+ Plan before purchase! Do research before getting a luxury beauty item. This ties in with the last resolution. 

Quote: Originally Posted by BirthToAshes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have loved reading your New Years Resolutions! A lot of you had really good ideas. That pay yourself to exercise thing may be the most ingenious motivation ever!

These are my 2014 resolutions:

+ Find a skin care routine that fits me. I have really been neglecting my skin.

+ Workout and lose the 20 pounds that just keeps weighing me down! I lost around 13 last year, but gained 5 back.

+ Eat healthier foods! I know this will greatly improve my skin. I eat too much grab-n-go food!

+ Purchase a Naked palette [cannot decide which one to get, but it will probably be Naked 3].

+ Build on my makeup necessities. All my makeup fits in one small 5 drawer plastic container. Only a foot tall. Honest.

+ Join a subscription box company. I have never tried one. :3 

+ Find an eye cream.

+ Start the YouTube channel. I have wanted to start one for a long long long time... but never got up enough nerve. I will do it this year!

+ Start the daily blog updates of my beauty escapades! [reviews and discussions going up tomorrow! woot woot!]

+ NO IMPULSE BUYS! This isn't limited to beauty, but my goodness I end up getting so much stuff I just don't need! The things I could buy with that money... 

+ Plan before purchase! Do research before getting a luxury beauty item. This ties in with the last resolution. 
I so wanted to do this but it feels so much like talking to myself, or talking at people who would rather be anywhere else (I know they visit on their own) I never work up the nerve to start. Good luck on the blog and youtube!

@tweakabell If you want to, there is no better time to start than the New Year!!! I am still a little nervous, I won't lie. Especially about the YouTube. 
sdrop.gif
 But...I have considered it for a long time. Last year, I learned so much from beauty bloggers it made a world of difference to me. I want to share my experiences... and there are so many things that will be new to me! lolol This is for sure going to be very entertaining.

Quote: Originally Posted by BirthToAshes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @tweakabell If you want to, there is no better time to start than the New Year!!! I am still a little nervous, I won't lie. Especially about the YouTube. 
sdrop.gif
 But...I have considered it for a long time. Last year, I learned so much from beauty bloggers it made a world of difference to me. I want to share my experiences... and there are so many things that will be new to me! lolol This is for sure going to be very entertaining.

This exactly! I seriously just jumped into mine on a whim and I absolutely love it! Like you said, New Year, it's the perfect time to go for it!

Back