30 Manis Marathon 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Mani #22 - Inspired by A SONG

This one is a follow-on from the Mamma Mia movie/musical. I kept three nails from before, my favourite being the purple with white flower pattern. I'll use that image again! The song is the one for the snorkel and fins dance - "Lay All Your Love On Me" by ABBA. I serendipitously got the neon/glow-in-the-dark-looking yellow nail (more so irl) by painting Sally Hansen White On on top of Bondi The Limelight that had a Konad Deep Jungle stamp on it. Strangely the yellow-green wicked through the white and gave me a unique colour. I didn't care for it enormously (other than that it was a really unexpected and interesting result), but it is the absolute favourite nail of a friend. I had the same yellow-green on the index finger on the other hand, but I squashed it by stamping too soon, so I did it over with only white (it would have been more unified with or without it on both hands). The 'sound wave' nail I did by stamping Konad White over Revlon Knockout, then stamping the same image in Zoya Charla and using the technique I learned from @Scooby Dynamite to cover the whole thing with Nubar Sour Candy. I would be happy with this just as a more consistent blue, black, and white with music notes and sound waves, but it wouldn't carry much of a theme then.

It aggravates me that Pueen didn't bother to engrave proper music notes - backwards is not good -, but I used them anyway.

Many are complaining about dry cuticles; I'm in the same boat.
Love it!

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok guys, I don't read books lol. I read things all day at work so reading is the last thing I want to do when I get home. So my nails were inspired by the only book I own, a Cyanide and Happiness comic book. I was going to post a comic here but they are all potentially offensive so just google it if you are into non-PC humor
smile.gif

So cute!

Quote: Originally Posted by chrysalis101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Fashion inspired

This was my inspiration piece. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/148407750193859335/

SOPI Neutral Beauty (quickly becoming a favorite), SC Black on Black (need to get more), SH Gem Crush Glitz Gal, and WnW Kaleidoscope. Must have gotten some black on my top coat brush, cause a smudged my index finger, but oh well.

Beautiful!

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pattern... Butter London All Hail the Queen, NYC Big Apple Red, Pueen #2

Pretty!

Mani #24 - Inspired by A BOOK

This one is Alice In Wonderland. I've been exploring the combination of multiple colours and prints as that is not my standby. I grew to appreciate my original Mamma Mia movie mani, but I don't like this one. I think the distinction is that this one is just messy (I didn't wait long enough for the polish to dry before stamping and had some shifting), and the colours are not as unified as the brights were. It has some interesting ideas, and I think the rabbit ears throughout are a cute way to tie it together. If I had planned more for them, I could have ensured that all of them were in a consistent place on the nail, and all one or at most two colours. It would have contributed to unifying the look. I would remove a few colours or patterns to keep it simpler if I did it again.

I'd also have to try the reverse decal technique to do an Alice if I did this again!
As always your manis look great. I love the rabbit ears and the bows.

Inspired by fashion:
I'm really into bows lately so I gave it a try. @Monika1 I tried your back-of-bubble-wrap method for this and it worked great! The bows peeled off easily without ripping. This is Julep Cynthia with Bondi Botanical Beauty for the bows. They aren't the greatest but I still think it turned out ok.

*please ignore my blotchy spray tan! It's a long story, but basically if you have seen the Friends episode where Ross gets a spray tan- that's what happened to me haha.
Love the bows!

Mani #25 - Inspired by FASHION

This went a little differently than I expected. My intention was to stamp it as well, but I ran into a busy period of time, so the polish wore to a point where it was barely worth going for it any more. I added some more topcoat to freshen it up to try, and went to bed after waiting about 45 minutes, but I still ended up with a bunch of sheet marks. What a mess! So no stamping. I chose the deep teal and grey because of their current seasonal popularity. It was nice to wear and still a bit special due to the combination of the two colours.

And with no flash:

Quote: Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  As always your manis look great. I love the rabbit ears and the bows.
Thank-you so much! 
icon_biggrin.gif

Mani #25 - Inspired by FASHION This went a little differently than I expected. My intention was to stamp it as well, but I ran into a busy period of time, so the polish wore to a point where it was barely worth going for it any more. I added some more topcoat to freshen it up to try, and went to bed after waiting about 45 minutes, but I still ended up with a bunch of sheet marks. What a mess! So no stamping. I chose the deep teal and grey because of their current seasonal popularity. It was nice to wear and still a bit special due to the combination of the two colours.        And with no flash:
Simple yet beautiful. Not all manicures need to have excessive work done to them. Kinda like how one shouldn't over accessorize. Sometimes less is more and the situation calls for something simple and clean. Having been inspired by fashion I'd say its appropriate. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mani #25 - Inspired by FASHION

This went a little differently than I expected. My intention was to stamp it as well, but I ran into a busy period of time, so the polish wore to a point where it was barely worth going for it any more. I added some more topcoat to freshen it up to try, and went to bed after waiting about 45 minutes, but I still ended up with a bunch of sheet marks. What a mess! So no stamping. I chose the deep teal and grey because of their current seasonal popularity. It was nice to wear and still a bit special due to the combination of the two colours.

And with no flash:

I love these two colors, perfect for the season.

Mani #25 - Inspired by FASHION This went a little differently than I expected. My intention was to stamp it as well, but I ran into a busy period of time, so the polish wore to a point where it was barely worth going for it any more. I added some more topcoat to freshen it up to try, and went to bed after waiting about 45 minutes, but I still ended up with a bunch of sheet marks. What a mess! So no stamping. I chose the deep teal and grey because of their current seasonal popularity. It was nice to wear and still a bit special due to the combination of the two colours.        And with no flash:
Love it! That darker color is beautiful!

Love it! That darker color is beautiful!

I love these two colors, perfect for the season.
Thank-you! The darker one is Bondi Tavern on the so you might find something comparable in the dupes list. I felt so 'with the times' with the colours of this mani. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Parasoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Simple yet beautiful. Not all manicures need to have excessive work done to them. Kinda like how one shouldn't over accessorize. Sometimes less is more and the situation calls for something simple and clean. Having been inspired by fashion I'd say its appropriate.
smile.gif

Thanks! You make a very good point! I often have the challenge of finding ulltra-simple clothing in my wardrobe when I want to wear more interesting focal-piece jewelry - you just can't do it with a multicolour top sometimes! And same goes for nails for me. The balance of hair/clothes/jewelry/nails is interesting. For many, nails are completely conceptually independent of the rest of the wardrobe. I'm more comfortable with less in terms of accent pieces in the combination. But some tailor their entire wardrobe to a colour-family so they can go for more! I'm thinking of a lady I know who does a black/gold/bronze/yellow/beige thing so she can wear flashy blouses, scarves, jackets, shoes, nails, and chunky earrings, necklaces, rings, brooches, and bracelets. All at the same time. It works for her.  I would be out of my comfort-zone in her wardrobe. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Scooby Dynamite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Manicure 26: Inspired By A Pattern

Pink Plaid Pajama Pants

Looks just like the pants, so pretty.

Pink Plaid Pajama Pants
Looks just like the pants, so pretty.

Thanks! I couldn't find anything else to do haha

Manicure 27: Inspired by Artwork

X-Ray Roses

Two of these pictures hang in my living room. I'm told they are x-rays of actual roses. 

All Sephora X polishes used  (White Matter, Radioactive, Flashy, Dark Matter) with several different detail brushes. 

X-Ray Roses

Two of these pictures hang in my living room. I'm told they are x-rays of actual roses. 

All Sephora X polishes used  (White Matter, Radioactive, Flashy, Dark Matter) with several different detail brushes. 
That's such a cool pic! love your interpretation.

X-Ray Roses

A fascinating thing about this mani is that the actual polishes have names that are also associated with x-rays. So neat!

Pink Plaid Pajama Pants

Sweet! They make me want to dig up a pair of flannel PJs! It's a pretty way to make pink super winter-appropriate!

Latest posts

Back