A Midsummer Night's Dream (Summer 2014 Secret Santa) Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a feeling you were going to say it was a turtle! I had something similar happen on one of my first times visiting NYC as a kid. I was walking with my family somewhere on 5th Ave and then had to do a double take at the person walking the person walking a turtle with some light rope tied around the middle of his shell. I can't remember if it was a man or a woman, but the turtle always sticks in my mind.

Another odd one I've seen was in Japan. I don't know if the young man did it because he was fishing for attention or just really loved his pet, but he would harness up and take his bunny for walks at various festivals. He always had young women fawning over the bunny whenever you came across them. My husband and I thought it was a rather clever pick-up technique.

A bunny harness isn't strange at all! I would put mine in harnesses if I took them outside, and a harness is actually the proper way to leash a bunny because of their skeletal structures.

Quote: Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A bunny harness isn't strange at all! I would put mine in harnesses if I took them outside, and a harness is actually the proper way to leash a bunny because of their skeletal structures.
You learn something new everyday!

I had a feeling you were going to say it was a turtle! I had something similar happen on one of my first times visiting NYC as a kid. I was walking with my family somewhere on 5th Ave and then had to do a double take at the person walking the person walking a turtle with some light rope tied around the middle of his shell. I can't remember if it was a man or a woman, but the turtle always sticks in my mind.

Another odd one I've seen was in Japan. I don't know if the young man did it because he was fishing for attention or just really loved his pet, but he would harness up and take his bunny for walks at various festivals. He always had young women fawning over the bunny whenever you came across them. My husband and I thought it was a rather clever pick-up technique.

Oh, I know that harnessing is the best way for a lot of animals, bunnies included, but I would never have thought of taking a bunbun to festival. They seem too skittish to me to handle the large crowds, drumming, and kids on the loose. Then again, the bunny did get shielded by plenty of women. 

Bunnies question: how messy are they?  My roommate is trying to convince me we need one- but we lost the cat (cancer) almost a year ago and pets just seem expensive right now.  I'm going to grad school starting in June, roommate's about to end grad school, we're going to be getting a new roommate in August.. just a lot of things happening.  Are they hard to potty train?  Do yours stay in a cage when you're gone and just let them out when you're around?  I've only had a bunny once, and she stayed in a cage all the time (I was also pretty little).

Quote: Originally Posted by elizabethrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bunnies question: how messy are they?  My roommate is trying to convince me we need one- but we lost the cat (cancer) almost a year ago and pets just seem expensive right now.  I'm going to grad school starting in June, roommate's about to end grad school, we're going to be getting a new roommate in August.. just a lot of things happening.  Are they hard to potty train?  Do yours stay in a cage when you're gone and just let them out when you're around?  I've only had a bunny once, and she stayed in a cage all the time (I was also pretty little).
I've never had one, but one of my best friends used to raise them with her mom (I.E she did all of the work...) and she says that although she loved the bastards to death- they were messy as hell! She said she was glad they had outside facilities for them because of the mess.
But, like I said, all I know is from that friend :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh, I know that harnessing is the best way for a lot of animals, bunnies included, but I would never have thought of taking a bunbun to festival. They seem too skittish to me to handle the large crowds, drumming, and kids on the loose. Then again, the bunny did get shielded by plenty of women. 

I think it would depend on the bun, I can see some being so laid back that that sort of thing wouldn't phase them at all.

Quote: Originally Posted by elizabethrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They can be housetrained fairly easily. I would leave mine in their cage when I wasn't home or asleep, but they would have free time in the house when I was home

Quote: Originally Posted by slinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've never had one, but one of my best friends used to raise them with her mom (I.E she did all of the work...) and she says that although she loved the bastards to death- they were messy as hell! She said she was glad they had outside facilities for them because of the mess.
But, like I said, all I know is from that friend :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This is my eternal worry- I need a clean bunny!

They can be housetrained fairly easily. I would leave mine in their cage when I wasn't home or asleep, but they would have free time in the house when I was home

That's a doable thing!  Hmm.. maybe.. we can get a bunny.

Haha OK my turn, unfortunately my week was not nearly as cool as Meagan's! In fact, this is pretty much a rant.  Apologies in advance for any whininess.  I'm gonna put it behind a spoiler in case anyone's not in the mood for A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I can at least promise a happy ending!.

This week has been my kids' Spring Break (4yo preschooler, 6yo 1st grader), and it has been nuts.  First of all, I WAS planning on driving home to KY to be with family over Easter.  But then my car started acting up (car shakes when I'm braking, pretty sure it's warped rotors, but waiting til hubby gets home to take it to the mechanic so I don't get screwed. I can tell the mechanic all day long that I know what's wrong, and they'll still try to fix 18 other things unless I send a MAN with the car.  Gotta love being a woman in the rural south without family around) and I decided I didn't want to do a 10-hour drive OVER mountains with kids AND a puppy if there's possible car issues.  So I thought "hey, a nice relaxing week, right?"  NO. First I find that my husband is being sent on a business trip, so he won't get to hang out with kids (aka "give mommy a break") in the evenings like I thought.  AND he'll be away for Easter.  Yay.  So he's been gone all week, and as soon as he left I IMMEDIATELY get sick.  Sore throat, headache, low-grade fever.  Nothing serious, just UGH.  And then last night, now that my immunity's all nice and compromised, I manage to get PINKEYE.  It was going around the kids' school before break, and I'm not even sure how I got it, but just YUCK.  Thankfully I have antibiotic eye drops from the last round (my 4yo got it a few weeks ago at school), but now I can't touch my makeup, just in time for Easter. And I'm wondering if I should throw out a few GDE shades that I used two days ago (approx 36 hours before symptoms appeared), I've no idea what the contagion rate is.  And if I check WebMD, I'll just be sure I have some terminal illness within 5 mins.

Oh and the best part is just a few days into their break (tues/wed-ish), the weather turned to crap here.  Just this past week it was high 70s/low 80s, now it's in the 50s with 30s at night.  And rain, lots of rain.  So then I have the poor kiddos stuck inside, on their spring break, with Mommy feeling like crap so I'm not up to the usual round of crafting and Easter projects that I normally would have come up with.  It's been movies and iPad games all week and of course, now I have Mommy Guilt because I haven't kept the monsters entertained.  And just for one final nail in this week's coffin, all of my usual babysitters/neighbors who can watch the kids have gone out of town.  So I had to TAKE THE KIDS SHOPPING WITH ME FOR THEIR EASTER BASKET STUFF.  Oh, I felt so horrible.  I like to get them one "big gift" as well as all the candy, and I couldn't think of a way to explain to my 6yo how the Bunny brought stuff that he would obviously remember buying like, 2 days ago (thankfully my 4yo is fairly oblivious and forgets most stuff 5 mins after it happens.)

But then!  Ray of sunshine!  My older son lost his first tooth yesterday on the way to Walmart!!! (I *wish* we had cool grocery stores like Freddy's and Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but no, we have Walmart).  So when we got home, I had the kids watch Rise of the Guardians (animated movie, I actually love it - basically Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, the Sandman, and Jack Frost work together to save the world.)  So I have kiddo put his tooth under the pillow, I do the Tooth Fairy thing undetected (very proud of myself, kept it together even after stepping on at LEAST three Legos) and then the next morning, told him the Tooth Fairy brought the Easter Bunny with her, I showed the Easter Bunny what we bought, because it's a new kind of toy and he wasn't sure if he had in any in stock for baskets, and he was going to take what *I* bought back to Walmart and put in a rush order with Santa's Elves for the toy in time to make it into his basket!  And HE BELIEVED ME.  OMG. I feel like I just saved Easter.  

So I'm about to put together some Skylander-themed baskets, hoping I feel/look better tomorrow - turns out I can't really pull off the Igor/one eye half-swollen-shut look like I hoped I could.  It's still going to be cold and soggy, so my neighbor and I aren't sure if we're going to do an egg hunt for the kids, or just take them out for lunch and let them get completely chocolate-wasted afterwards.  I have *always* been around family for big potluck home-cooked meals on Easter before, so the restaurant thing will feel like sacrilege, but I refuse to spend a huge amount of $$ on a bunch of food that 1)we won't be able to eat and 2) I'll just get stressed out about cooking anyway.  I promise to leave a huge tip for whoever ends up being our server!!!  And tomorrow's makeup will probably go no further than a dusting of loose powder and some nice bright lipstick!  I'm not even wearing the Easter outfit I already got - gonna save that for a lunch date with the hubs when he gets back from his trip.
If you made it through that whole long story, congratulations, and I wish I could reward you with some of this chocolate I'm filling baskets with! I promise, I will have (and give my kids) a fantastic Easter tomorrow!  And I hope you all have a wonderful holiday too!

Haha OK my turn, unfortunately my week was not nearly as cool as Meagan's! In fact, this is pretty much a rant.  Apologies in advance for any whininess.  I'm gonna put it behind a spoiler in case anyone's not in the mood for A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I can at least promise a happy ending!.  
This week has been my kids' Spring Break (4yo preschooler, 6yo 1st grader), and it has been nuts.  First of all, I WAS planning on driving home to KY to be with family over Easter.  But then my car started acting up (car shakes when I'm braking, pretty sure it's warped rotors, but waiting til hubby gets home to take it to the mechanic so I don't get screwed. I can tell the mechanic all day long that I know what's wrong, and they'll still try to fix 18 other things unless I send a MAN with the car.  Gotta love being a woman in the rural south without family around) and I decided I didn't want to do a 10-hour drive OVER mountains with kids AND a puppy if there's possible car issues.  So I thought "hey, a nice relaxing week, right?"  NO. First I find that my husband is being sent on a business trip, so he won't get to hang out with kids (aka "give mommy a break") in the evenings like I thought.  AND he'll be away for Easter.  Yay.  So he's been gone all week, and as soon as he left I IMMEDIATELY get sick.  Sore throat, headache, low-grade fever.  Nothing serious, just UGH.  And then last night, now that my immunity's all nice and compromised, I manage to get PINKEYE.  It was going around the kids' school before break, and I'm not even sure how I got it, but just YUCK.  Thankfully I have antibiotic eye drops from the last round (my 4yo got it a few weeks ago at school), but now I can't touch my makeup, just in time for Easter. And I'm wondering if I should throw out a few GDE shades that I used two days ago (approx 36 hours before symptoms appeared), I've no idea what the contagion rate is.  And if I check WebMD, I'll just be sure I have some terminal illness within 5 mins. Oh and the best part is just a few days into their break (tues/wed-ish), the weather turned to crap here.  Just this past week it was high 70s/low 80s, now it's in the 50s with 30s at night.  And rain, lots of rain.  So then I have the poor kiddos stuck inside, on their spring break, with Mommy feeling like crap so I'm not up to the usual round of crafting and Easter projects that I normally would have come up with.  It's been movies and iPad games all week and of course, now I have Mommy Guilt because I haven't kept the monsters entertained.  And just for one final nail in this week's coffin, all of my usual babysitters/neighbors who can watch the kids have gone out of town.  So I had to TAKE THE KIDS SHOPPING WITH ME FOR THEIR EASTER BASKET STUFF.  Oh, I felt so horrible.  I like to get them one "big gift" as well as all the candy, and I couldn't think of a way to explain to my 6yo how the Bunny brought stuff that he would obviously remember buying like, 2 days ago (thankfully my 4yo is fairly oblivious and forgets most stuff 5 mins after it happens.) But then!  Ray of sunshine!  My older son lost his first tooth yesterday on the way to Walmart!!! (I *wish* we had cool grocery stores like Freddy's and Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but no, we have Walmart).  So when we got home, I had the kids watch Rise of the Guardians (animated movie, I actually love it - basically Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, the Sandman, and Jack Frost work together to save the world.)  So I have kiddo put his tooth under the pillow, I do the Tooth Fairy thing undetected (very proud of myself, kept it together even after stepping on at LEAST three Legos) and then the next morning, told him the Tooth Fairy brought the Easter Bunny with her, I showed the Easter Bunny what we bought, because it's a new kind of toy and he wasn't sure if he had in any in stock for baskets, and he was going to take what *I* bought back to Walmart and put in a rush order with Santa's Elves for the toy in time to make it into his basket!  And HE BELIEVED ME.  OMG. I feel like I just saved Easter.   So I'm about to put together some Skylander-themed baskets, hoping I feel/look better tomorrow - turns out I can't really pull off the Igor/one eye half-swollen-shut look like I hoped I could.  It's still going to be cold and soggy, so my neighbor and I aren't sure if we're going to do an egg hunt for the kids, or just take them out for lunch and let them get completely chocolate-wasted afterwards.  I have *always* been around family for big potluck home-cooked meals on Easter before, so the restaurant thing will feel like sacrilege, but I refuse to spend a huge amount of $$ on a bunch of food that 1)we won't be able to eat and 2) I'll just get stressed out about cooking anyway.  I promise to leave a huge tip for whoever ends up being our server!!!  And tomorrow's makeup will probably go no further than a dusting of loose powder and some nice bright lipstick!  I'm not even wearing the Easter outfit I already got - gonna save that for a lunch date with the hubs when he gets back from his trip.
If you made it through that whole long story, congratulations, and I wish I could reward you with some of this chocolate I'm filling baskets with! I promise, I will have (and give my kids) a fantastic Easter tomorrow!  And I hope you all have a wonderful holiday too! I'm glad you were able to save Easter :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have to boil some for tomorrow as well. No decorating but when I told Z we weren't doing Easter this year she asked for some hard boiled eggs so it's the least I can do (like literally the very least I can do lmao, I hate holidays).

Yeah we're not doing eggs til tomorrow. I couldn't handle it today! Just got baskets done, so now I can relax with some leftover chocolate (yay!) I think I did ok this year, thankfully we got the "baskets" a few weeks ago which helps my "the Easter Bunny did it" story! And I think I'm more excited about Frozen than the kids will be, but they should be happy with Skylanders and superhero chocolate!

Walmart!  I had to look through a bunch to find unbroken ones.  Iron Man is quite delicate when cast in chocolate, apparently.  
laughno.gif

Seriously, when housetrained, they are tidier than a cat, but they chew on things because their teeth never stop growing. Making sure they have stuff to chew (and will chew on it) other than the furniture and power cords is the hardest part. We used to have rabbits when I was growing up. Rabbits kept in cages outside are very messy, but properly trained houserabbits are not. Before getting a bunny, read books and find stuff online about how to train them, and find a vet who knows how to take care of bunny teeth because some just don't grow right. Get the bunny neutered or spayed. Most importantly, get the bunny as young as possible, before it can develop bad habits, and socialize the bunny.

New my-crazy-neighborhood story!  This one is icky, so spoiler for bodily fluids: 

Over in the Birchbox thread, someone posted a link to a Buzzfeed quiz about how to tell if you're a beauty addict.  I took it (and got a 69), and there was a link at the bottom of the results to a story on usatoday.com about a man peeing in a reservoir in Portland.  I immediately thought, "Is this an old story?  It must be Mount Tabor.  Because that just happened a few years ago.  On Mount Tabor."  It's a new story that happened a few days ago.  It's Mount Tabor.  *Again*.  It's also the reservoir system where my drinking water comes from.  I keep telling people that it is the secret to my superstrong immune system (I take *maybe* one sick day a year, and the most recent bit of sick time I took was a couple of shortened workdays for oral surgery in the afternoon) and that I will survive the zombie apocalypse because I drink that stuff directly from the tap.  In the past, we have had multiple people pee in it and have sex in it, dead animals float in it, and a decaying human corpse pulled out of it.  The reason this can happen is because it is an above-ground uncovered reservoir protected only by a fence.  The reason people freak out:  It contains *treated* water ready to immediately go out to customers with no additional treatment.  You know you're in Portland when people get *upset* that the water bureau is draining it to clean the contamination because it's an unnecessary expense.  And I'm with the people who think it's silly:  The reservoir is open.  Birds poop over it while flying.  Squirrels scamper and frolic in it.  And all of the bugs and spiders?  There must be a crazy number in there.  It's already contaminated.  *One* dude peeing in it is somehow worse than an unknown number of raccoons swimming/pooping/peeing/boinking in it?

Yeah we're not doing eggs til tomorrow. I couldn't handle it today! Just got baskets done, so now I can relax with some leftover chocolate (yay!) I think I did ok this year, thankfully we got the "baskets" a few weeks ago which helps my "the Easter Bunny did it" story! And I think I'm more excited about Frozen than the kids will be, but they should be happy with Skylanders and superhero chocolate!
Those are awesome baskets! I hope they sell those super hero chocolates online the hubby would go nuts!

Latest posts

Back