Allure Sample Society October 2014 Spoilers and Discussion!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... I went ahead and canceled. I like trying new shampoos/conditioners, but... not this brand. And only 7 ml for the Estee Lauder?? No thanks, I'll save my money. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never cancelled a sub because of spoilers, but now I'm questioning if I should. 

Why on earth would they use a drugstore sample as a spoiler to "make up" for a mistake? Is the box really that lackluster that they couldn't share something more exciting? I feel like spoilers are usually the best of the products, but I hope that's not the case here.

Yeesh... this spoiler has actually made me want to cancel :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

10653689_748727118496231_7599822780342313354_n.jpg 

I actually don't mind the other two spoilers but this one is something I've gotten for free on many occasions so it definitely rubs me the wrong way. I think now that they're releasing regular spoilers it's easy to cancel and re-sub as I wish, so I think I'm going to cancel for this month and hope for the best for November!
I literally just got packets of this shampoo and conditioner in the cheap-o motel we stayed at overnight at Disneyland, and now Sample Society wants to give me more... I think I will go ahead a cancel this box, too. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do think the EL mixup was an honest mistake, but whoever decided to use the term "slightly" needs to be demoted, or given a refresher course in mathematics. 

It's like 75 percent less. That is SO not "slightly"

If they had just said, whoa, we made a mistake, I would have been disappointed, but not mad.

"slightly" has p*issed me the heck right off. 

Please. 

Oh, and the conditioner is a bonus, seriously?? I tell you what, if they had counted them as two, I'd have cancelled both subscriptions instead of only one of them.

Thin ice, that's all I'm sayin'. 

Mighty thin ice. 

This is unacceptable! First, they say we are getting a 30ml size when in fact we are getting less than 1/4 of the size. And than to make up, they give a shampoo/conditioner sample that can be purchased at Walmart and can hardly be called "high end"! I thought this was a sub of deluxe sized, high end products - I am sad to discover this is not the case! I will be canceling my sub. Maybe, if they actually deliver what they promise, I will resubscribe in the future.

Are their spoilers always the high value items? This is only my second month with them and I hate to be greedy but I just expected more value. I know it's only $15 and I shouldn't expect much but right now it's at like $22 in my head. I'd rather spend my money somewhere else if the spoilers really are the best of the box. Last month the other two things were hair stuff and perfume, so if this month is the same I just don't see how it's worth it. Sorry for rambling!

I have a Advanced Night Repair Sample from Estee Lauder in the size they are giving us.  It is 7 ml or .24 oz.   This came as a GWP.   In my mind I was expecting the same size and never really checked it all out.  So, I can live with it. I am happy to try another EL product so, I think I will stick with the box this month.   This is only box 2 for me.  The shampoo is a downer.  I can always grab a drugstore shampoo.  I like ones that are more work to get. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, not happy with the change in size of the spoiler but I just checked the bottle I have and it's the same size as what we are receiving.  It's not a bad size, it's just NOWHERE near as good as what was first indicated.  Sure, it's GWP size but thats what most beauty boxes are packed with anyway, that's not a deal breaker for me.

However!  The other items in the box better be ROCKIN' to make up for that shampoo and conditioner sample!  Sure there were a lot of complaints about how much Ahava were in the original SS boxes but I'd rather have Ahava shampoos than L'Oreal...

Ugh I just waisted $10!
You can cancel though if you haven't been charged yet. Someone mentioned this to me on FB and I checked my CC and my account, and they don't charge you until it ships... so here's to praying it hasn't gone through.

if nothing else, you can save the ad and file a chargeback with your credit card company for false advertisement-- that's what i'll do if it hasn't cancelled (which will be even more funny because apparently they're partnering with citi cards rightnow :') )

I am a L'Oreal fangurl, and I do not mind drugstore stuff at all, but when I do get drugstore items in a box, I expect them to be full size. 

I mean ffs.... Wal-Mart managed to give us a full sized deodorant in their 5 dollar box, and a pricey deodorant, at that.  

This looks to be a decent sized sample, but come on. Guess we're supposed to be all excited that we got the conditioner, too!   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's silly to get so snarky over $15, but this month has kind of let me down. 

I need to readjust my expectations for these subscription boxes, apparently. This will still be good value for the money. 

It's silly to get so snarky over $15, but this month has kind of let me down. 
I don't think so though. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's "only" $15, but if you're working minimum wage, that's two hours of work. :/ But with $15 I can also buy a Mac lipstick of my choice, 3 starbucks coffees, lunch for a day or two. If you're paying a company, you expect them to respect you and the fact you're giving them money. It not, you can always take your money elsewhere.

I can appreciate the fact they made a mistake, but announcing it on facebook isn't enough because all the bloggers had already put up their ad. They should've sent out another email blast correcting that as soon as they realized (3 days ago!) So that's the reason I'm annoyed more than the size. If I had known it was 7mL i might've still made the decision to keep the box, but the fact that they tried to hide it afterwards is what annoys me.

@  Really good points about the money. I've been out of work for several months and you're right; 15 bucks could get me the two ice blendeds a week habit  I've had to give up!

I made the purchase specifically for the El, I need mascara and cheap shampoo and conditioner like a hole in the head! I sub based on spoilers, so this is a big let down to me. Hope I can cancel.

Also last month's eye cream was valued at $90 or more, I wasn't shocked by the value of the El, just excited. AND a 76% reduction in size isn't slightly smaller.

I don't mind the smaller serum. 7 mL is still a lot of serum, it's resealable, and I've barely touched my full size eye cream from last month. I'm awfully glad they're counting the shampoo/conditioner as 1 sample rather than 2. I will consider the shampoo/conditioner a "Drugstore Find" a la Birchbox and won't be disappointed as long as the remaining 2 items are good. I think these guys need to be able to justify their higher price vs. Ipsy and Birchbox, especially since they don't have a rewards program.

Also last month's eye cream was valued at $90 or more, I wasn't shocked by the value of the El, just excited. AND a 76% reduction in size isn't slightly smaller.
Out of curiosity, is anyone planning on repurchasing this eye cream? I don't find it offensive in any way, but I wouldn't pay $90 for it. I predict a 50% discount Restorsea flash sale at Hautelook.

ETA: Stila is on Hautelook today. They have some cute palettes.

I just checked the Paula's Choice samples I received from Bzz Agent and they are 3.5ml. I went through one in a week, so the EL sample should last around 2 weeks. That should be enough time to see if it works or not...maybe I'll roll the dice on this month.

*in case anyone is wondering I do see a difference with the pc C15 on my dark spots and most likely will purchase a full size. I'm an NC42/C5 in Mac, Medium in Tarte, and Cashew in EL double wear.

@ ~ I don't love the eye cream. The look of it disturbs me ~ that's just me being weird. If it worked well on me, it could look like worms. It did nada. I have switched to an Origins sample. But, will go back to this when I have nothing else to use.

@@SaraP ~  I have the Paula's Choice C15 and this size EL sample.  I was using the EL before the PC sample came.  I think I got about 3 weeks of almost continuous 2x a day use and still have a bit left.  Definitely enough to figure out whether its a winner or not.

Edited: To say, I still haven't finished a C15 yet.  I did stop applying all over  The under eye area was not taking kindly to it.

Latest posts

Back