Another alternative to getting the rest of the UDPP out...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, had NO idea it held so much inside! I just bought myself a backup too, I use this every day I put e/s on. I'm so glad I found this thread! Though I'm "late to the party". I'll be making my husband do the "sawing" when it gets low. *lol*

Well i just bought udpp but i'm glad now i know what to do just when i think i've run out!!

One suggestion gals/guys: if you do this, try and make sure that you put it in a glass jar tightly sealed. I keep hearing about much quicker it dries out in a plastic container and the consistency is not as creamy as when kept in the bottle. I assume a glass jar would be better. That's how the gel/cream liners are packaged. I suspect that glass is better at keeping it "fresh" as oppose to plastic.

Holy CRAP! That's insane. I'm still using a lot extra from when I pulled the plunger out. I don't know how much I'll have left after this, but I'm interested in cutting it and seeing it.

i WAS going to do that...but my dad threw mine out for some reason!!! omg i was soooo mad!!!

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif One suggestion gals/guys: if you do this, try and make sure that you put it in a glass jar tightly sealed. I keep hearing about much quicker it dries out in a plastic container and the consistency is not as creamy as when kept in the bottle. I assume a glass jar would be better. That's how the gel/cream liners are packaged. I suspect that glass is better at keeping it "fresh" as oppose to plastic. Yes! You are soo right! I've had my UDPP in two 5 g. jar for months and months and it is GREAT shape. Totally not dried at all, and I actually like it in the little jars better because I use a brush to apply it instead of the wand, and now that I have the UDPP in two little jars I can have one in my room and bathroom (the two places where I put on my makeup) without having to run back and forth to get the UDPP bottle.

Originally Posted by mandilly /img/forum/go_quote.gif Tehe, guys, calm down.
wink.gif
Now, it is a poor design, granted, but I highly doubt that UD is aware of the product waste. Despite what you all make think they are wasting more money by having people unknowingly throw out their product and buy a new one than someone actually sawing open the container. Think about it, it simply isn't a ploy. Some normal economics classes have taught me that the cost of PRODUCING a product far outweighs the profit. In fact, profit on a single item can be as low as $0.50 per item, and that's not counting fixed and variable costs. Meh, enough of the economics babble. My point simply is that it isn't efficient for UD to knowingly have their consumers waste that much product, because that much product costs a hefty chunk to make! They really couldn't be profiting on the poor packaging bit. Realistically, it's an ergonomically designed package to create aesthetic appeal.
Nonetheless, I find that most 'tubed' products leave substantial waste if you don't take out the insert or hack away at the tubing. Even in straight tubes that aren't ergonomically/biomorphically designed like the UDPP, you will find a crud load of product near the top where you cannot 'wiggle' the bottom of the wand. I say cut open your products, remove the inserts, and get everything out that you can.

I disagree, do you know what ingredients are in UDPP? They are fairly cheap. Obviously you can't make it at home unless you have a bunsen burner. but the ingredients and production for this product is very cheap compared to other products.
they make over 50% profit, at least.

I work in marketing, and used to work in product development - and I know that pretty packaging is not more important than cost. Seriously, look at the bottle. It's not even that good looking. The curves are there to waste product. Alot of people buy based on $ per gram. UPDD is obviously a good product so they can't afford to weigh it down with fillers, so they make the product last less a different way.

Same with eyeshadows that are bogged down with talc and other fillers - they're there to make the eyeshadow heavier, so that you pick the 5g eyeshadow over the 1 g eyeshadow, even though the 1g has more pigment.

It's not a "ploy", its how you run a business. At least they are taking the high road and offering a good product, instead of adding fillers.

I've seen this done on Youtube. I am absolutely doing this when it seems like mine is empty.

I finally did this today. I bought a pack of two chapstick/carmex looking pots(7g size) at the Dollar Tree and emptied them out, and washed them up. The travel pots they had didn't look very air tight, so that's why I went with these. I kept looking around the store for something packaged in a container I liked. I thought I would need to split it between the two pots, but it all fit(barely! lol) into one. So now I have a spare jar for something.

img3961os1.jpg

img3962ha0.jpg

img3964ib3.jpg

How long is it taking you all to get to the point of taking out the insert? And from that point, before you cut it open? Or are you just going straight to cutting it open? I only ask because I could swear I've have my UDPP for at least 6 months (if not more), and I haven't even had to take out the insert yet.

I just bought my first UDPP a couple weeks ago, and found the youtube video not long after. I'm so glad I found out before I ever went through a bottle. I never knew about the insert thing though. I'll be checking that out next. Don't understand depotting either, but I'll do a search. I'm going to side with those not writting to UD about it. I'd rather get more for my money behind their backs instead of them giving less or charging more.

-Stacey

Back