April 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My no buy failed last month, so this month I will be doing a less buy. I can spend 40€ on makeup this month. I just can't seem to buy nothing at all. I seriously have a makeup addiction. I think this will work for me.

I am on a low buy this month. Yesterday I bought from Ulta, Lancome, the Balm, and Rachel Rene and I really need to take a break for a while. The only thing I may get if I ever find one is an inexpensive pastels palette or stuff in clearance that is super cheap. No full priced and no more online make-up shopping for me this month though. This is my first real low buy/no buy since the last one I did only lasted a week and then my fiance started buying me make-up at Ulta :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm going to try this for the first time this month... Low buy of course, I think if this month goes well I'll try a whole no-buy month, but help! It's so hard! I'm on a tarte blush obsession! ( seriously just got 11 within last week) ... And not to mention also buying the UD eyeliner vault, IT's just SO HARD GUYS! I envy all of you so much... 

Makeup just makes me so happy lol. 

But I am on a mission to "hit pan " " use up " and " low buy " this month.. I'm going to need so much support....

I'm going to try this for the first time this month... Low buy of course, I think if this month goes well I'll try a whole no-buy month, but help! It's so hard! I'm on a tarte blush obsession! ( seriously just got 11 within last week) ... And not to mention also buying the UD eyeliner vault, IT's just SO HARD GUYS! I envy all of you so much...  Makeup just makes me so happy lol.  But I am on a mission to "hit pan " " use up " and " low buy " this month.. I'm going to need so much support....
You are in good hands lol. I feel like by this point I'm a veteran of attempting the no/low buys and you have to get in the right mind set. I'm not sure how it is for you, but its not the make up that was making me happy. Or at least having it wasn't making me happy, buying it was. If you can change that line of thinking and just buy the things you know you'll be happy to have rather than the things you are happy to buy, you'll be in good shape!

Someone hold me! I seen The Balm's 50% off sale, and I'm trying so hard to talk myself out of getting a few things! 

I've started to make a list of things I actually NEED makeup wise (not that I NEED any of it lol but you know what I mean). And i'm only letting myself get those things. For instance stuff like growth nail polish and an anti-shine powder since I don't have any and I have terribly oily skin. So when I feel the need to shop I make sure only to look for those things :p

Someone hold me! I seen The Balm's 50% off sale, and I'm trying so hard to talk myself out of getting a few things! 
I KNOW!!!!! I saw that on Facebook. I'm going to be like a kid in a candy store when they open their store. I want the Balm Jovi palette, the Matte palettes, mascara, lipsticks, etc. I discovered Matte eyeshadows a month ago and need some for my collection. But I told myself that I'm only going to get 1-2 items and that's it since I've never tried the brand. I hope they have free shipping.

I've started to make a list of things I actually NEED makeup wise (not that I NEED any of it lol but you know what I mean). And i'm only letting myself get those things. For instance stuff like growth nail polish and an anti-shine powder since I don't have any and I have terribly oily skin. So when I feel the need to shop I make sure only to look for those things :p
Good idea! That works if you have a favorite brand/item. I tried to make a list but one of my necessary items is liquid eyeliner, because I wear it everyday, but I started hoarding them. It's probably because I just can't seem to find one that I really like enough to just buy that one. But like I said, if you have a particular item that you like (or have more self-control lol), the list is a great idea :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good idea! That works if you have a favorite brand/item. I tried to make a list but one of my necessary items is liquid eyeliner, because I wear it everyday, but I started hoarding them. It's probably because I just can't seem to find one that I really like enough to just buy that one. But like I said, if you have a particular item that you like (or have more self-control lol), the list is a great idea
smile.gif
In cases like that, since I too have a ton of eyeliner and consider it something I "need", I don't allow myself to buy a new one until i've finished 5 (YES that's how many I have...I think it's about 25 at this point)

ooo do you do perfume samples or full bottles? i'd be interested in doing this....
This was on a website that I read, and it was open to anyone, you just listed what you had (could be samples, full bottles, decants, etc.) and if someone was interested, they'd contact you via e-mail to set up a trade.  There's no reason you couldn't list your perfumes on the MUT Traders thread.  

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!! Still no word...and theBalm as SO much traffic they have to update their server and it won't be back up for a few days lol. So I guess today is a no buy day as well :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Good luck! I actually just finished by defense, and was still able to resist the Balm sale! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I decided on a new strategy: I can only buy 5 cosmetic items a month. I guess the problem that I was having was that I was trying to do low-buys, but never defined what a low-buy is for me. In addition, I have to go through my stash at least once a month and throw away/donate products that I'm not using or haven't used that month. If I go over my low-buy amount (more than 5 items), I have to toss something similar to that 6th item. For example, if I buy a eyeliner after I've used up my 5 buy items, I have to donate (or whatever) an eyeliner that I already own. (I got this idea from someone here - I don't remember who but THANKS! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) I'm contemplating this too: If I use up a product or it's gone bad, I can replace it with one similar item without it counting towards my low-buy. My gel eyeliner is dried out so I can buy this and it not count towards my low-buy after I have tossed my current dried out one.

Ohhh! I like your rules! I might follow this and commit to a low buy this month. With the Balm sale being a flop, I think I'll be okay! Sephora's Chic Week is coming up and I *did* want MUFE foundation but I have time to think about it. So far I just use Laura Mercier TM and concealer. I did just pick up two of Maybelline's Color Sensational Vivids - but I had coupons and CVS extra bucks!

I decided on a new strategy: I can only buy 5 cosmetic items a month. I guess the problem that I was having was that I was trying to do low-buys, but never defined what a low-buy is for me. In addition, I have to go through my stash at least once a month and throw away/donate products that I'm not using or haven't used that month. If I go over my low-buy amount (more than 5 items), I have to toss something similar to that 6th item. For example, if I buy a eyeliner after I've used up my 5 buy items, I have to donate (or whatever) an eyeliner that I already own. (I got this idea from someone here - I don't remember who but THANKS! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) I'm contemplating this too: If I use up a product or it's gone bad, I can replace it with one similar item without it counting towards my low-buy. My gel eyeliner is dried out so I can buy this and it not count towards my low-buy after I have tossed my current dried out one.

Ohhh! I like your rules! I might follow this and commit to a low buy this month. With the Balm sale being a flop, I think I'll be okay! Sephora's Chic Week is coming up and I *did* want MUFE foundation but I have time to think about it. So far I just use Laura Mercier TM and concealer. I did just pick up two of Maybelline's Color Sensational Vivids - but I had coupons and CVS extra bucks!

I'm trying something similar and calling it a controlled burn (yes, my dad, his brothers, and their dad are/were all timber cutters). I'm actually making a list of things I am allowed to buy. If it isn't on the list, I can't buy it. I'm finding that just writing those things down is making me realize how much I buy and reassess whether I *really* want it. I'm in a building year for my collection, so I'm still working on basics like concealer, brushes, powder, and eye shadow/liner outside of my usual purples, plus I am seasonal in my color picks, and I have a big hole in my collection for summer colors. But I am on no-buys for the following for the rest of the year due to the amount I already have and keep getting in subscription boxes, swaps, and GWPs: shampoo, conditioner, hair oils/serums, shower gel, and blush. I can keep any I get in boxes/swaps/etc., but if I have to spend money beyond postage, it's off-limits.

Oh, I also downloaded an app that is basically just a calculator but its allowing me enter an amount of money I wanted to spend to transfer to savings later if I dont' spend it. I don't know that I'll do the transfer part, but its good for me to keep track of things I was going to buy just to see how much I'm saving by doing a no buy. This is the first month I'm actually tracking it for, so this should get interesting. 

Cheated a little yesterday at Sephora and bought Urban Decay 24/7 waterproof liquid eyeliner and Nars Concealer.  I also got my birthday gift of the Benefit They're Real! mascara and Watts Up!

I got my Ulta order today (which I placed in March so it doesn't count :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) and they sent me SOOO many good samples.  Plus, the BB and Ipsy subs look like they're going to be awesome this month!!

This should be enough to keep me satisfied for the rest of April :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good luck! I actually just finished by defense, and was still able to resist the Balm sale! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yay congrats! I wish I had your will power, every time I finish a paper or a long project i'm like, SHOPPING TIME! lol

Yay congrats! I wish I had your will power, every time I finish a paper or a long project i'm like, SHOPPING TIME! lol
lol same here. I know that I'm probably going to buy most of my 5 items when I finish my research study in a few weeks :biggrin:

Thanks! I love the Vivids lipsticks - way more than I thought I would. I brought Vivid Rose last month and love it. I want Shocking Coral.

Back