April 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wearing the mandarin one right now - I love it! I also bought vivid rose which will be a great summer/spring pink. I wanted shocking coral the most but I figured it would look too pastely for some reason? Idk what I was thinking!

Thanks! I love the Vivids lipsticks - way more than I thought I would. I brought Vivid Rose last month and love it. I want Shocking Coral.

well, i must be doing _something_ right.  I'm weirdly unexcited about the upcoming Chic Week at Sephora, honestly I can't even find enough items that I want/need to purchase that would be worth the discount.  And during the recent ULTA 20% off event I only bought stuff I actually needed and only one extra blush that I've been wanting ever since January (and I've told myself it's the LAST blush I'm gonna buy in a long while!).  I think the rules I typed out and put on my bathroom door are finally sinking in!  (i hope....)

Also, I'm making a few changes in my skincare regimen and after days of websurfing/research managed to find some good low-cost options for what I needed, rather than just going to Peter Thomas Roth or Murad off the bat.

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well, i must be doing _something_ right.  I'm weirdly unexcited about the upcoming Chic Week at Sephora, honestly I can't even find enough items that I want/need to purchase that would be worth the discount.  And during the recent ULTA 20% off event I only bought stuff I actually needed and only one extra blush that I've been wanting ever since January (and I've told myself it's the LAST blush I'm gonna buy in a long while!).  I think the rules I typed out and put on my bathroom door are finally sinking in!  (i hope....)

Also, I'm making a few changes in my skincare regimen and after days of websurfing/research managed to find some good low-cost options for what I needed, rather than just going to Peter Thomas Roth or Murad off the bat.
That's great! I wish I had that much self-control. I need a palette with matte shadows. I only have 2 mattes that look okay on me and I've been wearing the same matte color to work. And I need an eye shadow base so I'm buying those items. They count towards my 5-item low buy.

I have acne prone skin and tried Clinique acne 3-step - it turned out to be crap (for me) so I didn't repurchase. I've found a Neutrogena product that's WAY cheaper and works better. I've realized that just because its a famous brand or sold at a counter, doesn't mean that it's any good. I avoid those skin brands now.

Same here!! I have NO desire to buy anything. Considering tax in TX is almost 9% and then $5 for shipping...that basically is 15% right there. PLUS you can't use another code right? You can only use the Chic code right?

Yeah....not tempting at all lol.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here!! I have NO desire to buy anything. Considering tax in TX is almost 9% and then $5 for shipping...that basically is 15% right there. PLUS you can't use another code right? You can only use the Chic code right?

Yeah....not tempting at all lol.
Wow that's a high sales tax rate. And yeah you can only use the CHIC code which is a bummer. I'm still going to buy a matte palette that I was going to buy later this month anyway. I could buy one from the Balm sale but I'm just not interested in theirs. 15% isn't enough to make me go crazy lol but it's something. I calculated that the discount comes out to about 8% post-tax for me. Like I said, that's not much but something.

There's an hourglass powder I want, but I dunno, I seriously don't feel like I deserve it. I'd rather finish some products up, clear out a little space, and then maybe purchase it in a month or two when I feel like I've actually 'earned' it. 

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow that's a high sales tax rate. And yeah you can only use the CHIC code which is a bummer. I'm still going to buy a matte palette that I was going to buy later this month anyway. I could buy one from the Balm sale but I'm just not interested in theirs. 15% isn't enough to make me go crazy lol but it's something. I calculated that the discount comes out to about 8% post-tax for me. Like I said, that's not much but something.
Bah yeah. And I recently ordered a tarte palette just to get the point perks...now people are telling me the palette sucks lol. So I may return it and get the $32 back...at least I'll have gotten my point perks and deluxe sample though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's an hourglass powder I want, but I dunno, I seriously don't feel like I deserve it. I'd rather finish some products up, clear out a little space, and then maybe purchase it in a month or two when I feel like I've actually 'earned' it. 
Yeah, same here, there are actually some eyeshadow palettes that I'm DYING to have, but I feel insanely guilty about all these other palettes and singles I have lying around and feel like I definitely need to use up SOME of them first!  I added the ones I want to my shopping list for the Sephora VIB sale in Nov/Dec.  Once I did that I was able to stop obsessing over them.  It's like I tricked myself into thinking that yes, I'll buy them, but in reality by Nov who knows what'll happen, I'll probably still be on a low-buy.  At least those little voices in my head have stopped...for now....and just the ones telling me to buy more eyeshadow. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bah yeah. And I recently ordered a tarte palette just to get the point perks...now people are telling me the palette sucks lol. So I may return it and get the $32 back...at least I'll have gotten my point perks and deluxe sample though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I hope you keep your points! I returned something earlier this year and they took points off my account and BI status. I'm not sure what the exact point policy is though.

Yaaay, I resisted well this week! I just found that the CLEAN Rain perfume is exactly this one scent I've been looking for. But, I've been using the Springpad app as a mini wishlist, including the prices, and seeing all the prices together makes me realize how costly all the wants are, so its actually putting me off buying. Its really helping me to add vague things too, like "light spring weather jacket" and expectant price range. After a few weeks, I delete things off my list I no longer yearn after. The perfume? Well, its best on hot days and I live in Portland, OR. We'll be having rainy spring for awhile lol. Putting a note on it that I can consider purchasing in May at the earliest, helps me put it out of my mind. And limited edition stuff. They always come out with nicer things in the future, so if I miss out during the no buy I just expect I will like something better later. Also because they can be easy to find at lower cost much later, way after the novelty wears off AND way after its discontinued, when demand drops (special specific case: when guerlain redesigned their palettes. Ebayers were trying to get rid of their older limited edition palettes. And at that point, I also didn't want them anymore - Except a holiday 2010 non-palette item I got a great deal for.) There's always someone/a seller holding onto something :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, same here, there are actually some eyeshadow palettes that I'm DYING to have, but I feel insanely guilty about all these other palettes and singles I have lying around and feel like I definitely need to use up SOME of them first!  I added the ones I want to my shopping list for the Sephora VIB sale in Nov/Dec.  Once I did that I was able to stop obsessing over them.  It's like I tricked myself into thinking that yes, I'll buy them, but in reality by Nov who knows what'll happen, I'll probably still be on a low-buy.  At least those little voices in my head have stopped...for now....and just the ones telling me to buy more eyeshadow. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That's what I did! The things I was eyeing aren't limited edition, so I don't think I need to worry about them being available in a few months. Who knows, by then, I may have completely forgotten about them or I might find that they no longer appeal to me. I just have so much makeup that's untouched and is still sitting in the packaging waiting to be used, and I really just could not even think of one single reason to justify purchasing anything. We can do this, ignore the voices in your head! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think that one way that my spending habits have changed because of this forum is the fact that I no longer desire to do big hauls. I used to love buying a bunch of items from beauty sales, but now if my cart is more than 5 items I can't bring myself to checkout and I try to get my item number down to 2-3. I've also passed up a lot of sales lately (Ulta, drugstore, Urban Decay thebalm, etc.) I'm not perfect by any means when it comes to spending but at least I'm making some progress. 

I'm regards to unused or little used items, I donate them to family members, or toss 'em if they're horrible. I rather my items to go to someone who would use it than sit on my table. I don't really have a lot of unused stuff though.

Something that helped me was downgrading my makeup storage to just a tableop organizer. It's really made me realize what I use, don't use, and helped me re-discover products. I recently tossed 3 eyeliners but I haven't brought eyeliners in weeks because I re-discovered a liquid eyeliner that I had in the organizer and I love it. 

I think that my spending habits have changed because of this forum is the fact that I no longer desire to do big hauls. 
Same here! And the Hauls page seems to be helping by letting me live vicariously.

Originally Posted by PickyPlease9114 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here! And the Hauls page seems to be helping by letting me live vicariously.
Agreed. I'm jealous of your profile picture :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I fail at no buys ive done it last summer and i rarely get makeup as it is now. But i have my bf harping on me bout how i have too much makeup which i agree i have alot but what can i do with it...i use it and i let others in my family use it. But giving it away or selling it all just seems horrible to me. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just cancelled my renewal to birchbox cuz the samples started to get repetitive. i love perfume but i have 11 months worth of samples...O_O crazy

@MsGoldenOwl if you already plateaued in your makeup collection and actually using it - your bf just got to be patient and let you hit pan in peace lol!

I managed to survive the VIB preview day of Chic Week without going to a store or making any online orders.  And I reorganized some of my makeup items which gives a nice "spring cleaning" feeling.  Instead of a million products lying around everywhere, I have a small selection of items that I will be using daily in a little organizer.  Hopefully this helps me hit pan on a few items over the summer.  Very pleased to see some visible dents in my Laura Mercier Artist Palette shadow pans recently.

I ordered a few items online, but I resisted the urge to run to the mall when it opened to get a tote bag that I would never use filled with samples that I would never use. I think I might go through my collection and see which items I've hit pan on, just because I'm curious. I know of a few, but I don't know how many there are. Seeing pan on a few things might make me feel better about my massive collection of stuff.

I'm holding strong. I haven't bought anything in these 12 days. And chic week is so hard to pass up. But I'm determined. Sooooo hard. I'm in the mood for a set of Luxy hair extensions and sunless tanner. Not to mention wanting new spring clothes and nail polish! I went to rite aid and seen these super cute wet and wild nailpolishes. They were shaped like lollipops!!! Then there's also a new holographic polish line out too. Very hard to resist but I've managed. (Only 12 days) and its becoming increasingly harder as the days go on @.@ ....

Back