April 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small victory today:

I closed my ipsy, beauty army, and birchbox accounts, which means that in May, I will have ZERO beauty subscriptions arriving in my mailbox. I used up my BB points, and spent $20 on a few items. I might resubscribe to birchbox in the future (maybe in the fall or something, give myself a break of a few months), but right now, I'm all samples out. I can't even close my sample drawer, so I need to use up a hefty chunk before I even reconsider joining any of those again. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Small victory today:

I closed my ipsy, beauty army, and birchbox accounts, which means that in May, I will have ZERO beauty subscriptions arriving in my mailbox. I used up my BB points, and spent $20 on a few items. I might resubscribe to birchbox in the future (maybe in the fall or something, give myself a break of a few months), but right now, I'm all samples out. I can't even close my sample drawer, so I need to use up a hefty chunk before I even reconsider joining any of those again. 
claps.gif
rocknroll2.gif
11.gif

Whew, one more week to go in April.  Is it just me or was this month especially difficult with all the incredible sales, deals, and discounts going on everywhere?  While I did buy SOME stuff, at least I didn't break my cardinal rules of:

1.  NO MORE EYESHADOWS

2.  don't buy stuff JUST because it's x% off!!

Probably the first month since I started this no/low-buy thing that I've actually been able to not break those two rules....but still a week to go so fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Small victory today:

I closed my ipsy, beauty army, and birchbox accounts, which means that in May, I will have ZERO beauty subscriptions arriving in my mailbox. 
Congrats!

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whew, one more week to go in April.  Is it just me or was this month especially difficult with all the incredible sales, deals, and discounts going on everywhere?  While I did buy SOME stuff
Oh, I know what you mean!  I've been wanting to buy periodically all month.  I finally succumbed and spent $20, but that's it.  Not a no buy, but still pretty good.  It helps that I've been doing a bunch of trades. 

Oh my...I just did an inventory of my facial cleansers...keep in mind that this does not include exfoliators or masks!

<-- Opened facial cleansers

<-- Oil cleansers

<-- Unopened facial cleansers

<-- Foil samples

...this is why I need a no-buy/low-buy... 
icon_eek.gif

hey everyone, it's been so quiet here this month! either it means we're all doing really well, or .... maybe not so well 
icon_sad.gif

I caved and bought a bunch of ELF stuff.  It's amazing to me that I can get a few dollar's worth of stuff that would cost me $100 if I went with high-end brands.  

But it made me wonder, am I doing the low-buy to save money, or to just stop buying so much stuff?  Both are important to me and I can't decide which one takes priority.  Does anyone lean strongly either way?

Originally Posted by jpark107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh my...I just did an inventory of my facial cleansers...keep in mind that this does not include exfoliators or masks!

<snip>

icon_eek.gif
LOL that is a LOT of cleansers!  The good thing is that we use cleansers daily so eventually they WILL go away!  Just don't buy any new ones, lol.

hey everyone, it's been so quiet here this month! either it means we're all doing really well, or .... maybe not so well 
icon_sad.gif
I caved and bought a bunch of ELF stuff.  It's amazing to me that I can get a few dollar's worth of stuff that would cost me $100 if I went with high-end brands.   But it made me wonder, am I doing the low-buy to save money, or to just stop buying so much stuff?  Both are important to me and I can't decide which one takes priority.  Does anyone lean strongly either way?
Personally I'm doing a low buy for both reasons. If I buy less stuff I'm saving money. I gave myself a five item limit this month for makeup and I stuck to it despite the sales. I've been really picky about what I buy. I have brought a few quality items (based on reviews and experience) that I will use rather than buying a bunch of stuff for fun like I usually do. Edit: I chose not to do a purchase amount limit because I figured I would go nuts and buy a bunch of cheap stuff or buy more than I needed because I still had funds left.

I have been soon pretty well. I started out wanting to make this month a complete no buy. But seeing as this is my first attempt later on I decided to make it a low buy. This was to try to train my brain to know I don't need extra things. My huge problem is wanting to but things just because they're on sale. I've been pretty good avoiding that. For example I went all chic week without caving and buying things just because they were 15% off. It might sound silly to some. But it's my own personal problem. I've been known to buy lots of junk just because it said sale! I have bought a few things. I purchased the aqualillies palette a few says ago. And some items from urban decay ( bf rewarded me 40 dollars so it was practically a gift) when urban decay was having that 2 day sale I wanted to buy all of the palettes and primer potion even though I have so many primer potions I won't need any til I'm 40! ... That's horrible. But I didn't do it! In proud of myself for that one. I believe may I will try a complete no buy. This excludes my 5 yr anniversary. I still have to purchase him a gift! But I really am determined. I've spent way too much the last few months. I have to do an empties here in a few days! I've hit pan on loads if items and completely used up several things. I'm even including the Pens I've used too. Cause that's an accomplishment even if its not makeup I still buy way too many pens. Lol! Lemme know how everyone has done this month. Since its almost over!

In addition to not buying new things, 'm actually crossing stuff off my to-buy-once-the-no-buy-is-over list because I've changed my mind! This makes me really happy. And my shower gel no-buy is extended for probably six more months because a coworker was purging her B&BW stuff, so I snagged something like six bottles from her.

I've been so bad all month! I caved several times, and I've bought stuff from the Chic Week sale and from Urban Decay and their sale section. I think I need to really crack down and get with this whole no-buy program. I think I'm going to go until September and see how I'm doing then, and allow myself to purchase 1 item no more than $30 every month, and that's all. I spent a TON of money this month, and it's time for me to work on saving and not spending.

On the plus side, I did use up a lot of items this month. My empties bag is really full! Too bad all the stuff I bought totally makes that not mean a lot... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jpark107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

icon_eek.gif

LOL that is a LOT of cleansers!  The good thing is that we use cleansers daily so eventually they WILL go away!  Just don't buy any new ones, lol.

Absolutely - I'm on a firm no-buy for facial cleansers for at least a year (maybe even 2 years)! I counted up all the facial cleansers and it turns out to be ~ 30 products (including both opened and unopened, deluxe samples and full-size). 

I just placed a huge order at Tatcha because I've fallen in absolute love with their skincare line. It all started with the Tatcha blotting papers that I swapped for in MUT swap community. This led to some crazy research, which led to me placing orders for their deluxe samples, led to me placing an order for their entire "Normal/Combination skin" Ritual set as well as Nonie's Creme Favorite set = damage of $450~. This is like the tops I've ever spent on skincare. This is in addition to the 5 beauty boxes I'm currently subscribed to, plus other one off boxes I order here and there just because they have a good deal going on...I have promised myself to be on a no buy except for my beauty boxes for the next 4 months. 

LOL that is so awesome! Wow. Yes, you're all set on cleansers for a while fo sho.

<-- Opened facial cleansers

<-- Oil cleansers

<-- Unopened facial cleansers

<-- Foil samples

icon_eek.gif

I'm kind of jealous of the variety of that facial cleanser stash!  My skin is *extremely* particular, so I am pretty much restricted to a certain Kiehl's cleanser (can't remember which one.  I stopped using it about a year ago) and philosophy purity (the one I switched to when I stopped using the Kiehl's.  I'm still using the *huge* -- 32 ounces, if I recall correctly -- bottle I got last summer during one of Nordstrom's big sales.  I'll buy another huge bottle if it's part of the sale again this year since it's much cheaper than buying smaller bottles, and it's one product type that I can't bounce from one brand to another, plus I use it to clean my makeup brushes).  I'm going to give the Cetaphil from the Allure summer box a shot since it seems to be good for sensitive skin like mine (and the Walgreen's version of Cetaphil lotion cleared up a nasty reaction I had to some very expensive skin cream over Christmas, so I have faith that this will be okay as well), but I can feel my skin FREAKING OUT just *thinking* about trying all of those different cleanser.

Originally Posted by ruhimaach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL that is so awesome! Wow. Yes, you're all set on cleansers for a while fo sho.

icon_eek.gif

Yeah, this stash is ridiculous and is certainly LOL-worthy! I honestly did not know that I was stock-piling facial cleansers. I had received some of these items in swaps or as gifts with purchase...so at least I didn't purchase all 30+ facial cleansers?!

However, my stash of moisturizers may be even more ridiculous...I'm almost ashamed of posting it...but I will post it so that I can keep my no-buy/low-buy in perspective!

Yeah, this stash is ridiculous and is certainly LOL-worthy! I honestly did not know that I was stock-piling facial cleansers. I had received some of these items in swaps or as gifts with purchase...so at least I didn't purchase all 30+ facial cleansers?!

However, my stash of moisturizers may be even more ridiculous...I'm almost ashamed of posting it...but I will post it so that I can keep my no-buy/low-buy in perspective!
How do you like the Shu Uemura cleansing oil and the Caudalie Cleansing Water? I have the latter and I'm using it every morning to clean any excess oil from previous night's skin ritual, but I'm really curious about the cleansing oil. I love all things oil! Please please post the stash of moisturizers 
smile.gif
 It's so much fun seeing everybody's stash! It satiates my hunger to do any online shopping. But if you choose not to post it, I completely understand. 

Originally Posted by ruhimaach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you like the Shu Uemura cleansing oil and the Caudalie Cleansing Water? I have the latter and I'm using it every morning to clean any excess oil from previous night's skin ritual, but I'm really curious about the cleansing oil. I love all things oil! Please please post the stash of moisturizers 
smile.gif
 It's so much fun seeing everybody's stash! It satiates my hunger to do any online shopping. But if you choose not to post it, I completely understand. 

Unfortunately, I haven't tried either the Shu oil cleanser or the Caudalie cleansing water yet (both are still unopened)! 

I'm planning on posting every skincare item that I have in my stash (toners, serums, exfoliators, masks, moisturizers without spf, moisturizers with spf - yes, I have to separate my moisturizers into 2 categories)...it'll take me a while...but it will all be revealed! I find it helpful for my no-buy/low-buy because it gives me a reality check on the sheer volume of products that I have in our tiny 1-bedroom NYC apartment.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried either the Shu oil cleanser or the Caudalie cleansing water yet (both are still unopened)! 

I'm planning on posting every skincare item that I have in my stash (toners, serums, exfoliators, masks, moisturizers without spf, moisturizers with spf - yes, I have to separate my moisturizers into 2 categories)...it'll take me a while...but it will all be revealed! I find it helpful for my no-buy/low-buy because it gives me a reality check on the sheer volume of products that I have in our tiny 1-bedroom NYC apartment.
Awesome! That's all this forum is for - to support and help each other. I might have to do a post on my blush collection which is embarrassing. I don't think I get to use 1 particular blush more than once in a month...yes, I have too many and I don't think I'll be getting rid of them anytime soon...not even if I use them every day the next decade 
frown.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But it made me wonder, am I doing the low-buy to save money, or to just stop buying so much stuff?  Both are important to me and I can't decide which one takes priority.  Does anyone lean strongly either way?

I definitely lean towards the latter. For me the low-buy is more about cutting the habit of buying stuff I don't need - although doing that also helps me save money. I do enjoy looking for cheaper alternatives to the products I'm currently using but I have more problems with buying products that I don't really need and that just sit around collecting dust in drawers. 

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally I'm doing a low buy for both reasons. If I buy less stuff I'm saving money. I gave myself a five item limit this month for makeup and I stuck to it despite the sales. I've been really picky about what I buy. I have brought a few quality items (based on reviews and experience) that I will use rather than buying a bunch of stuff for fun like I usually do.

Edit: I chose not to do a purchase amount limit because I figured I would go nuts and buy a bunch of cheap stuff or buy more than I needed because I still had funds left.
  I like your five item limit, that's a great idea. I've thought about doing a purchase amount limit but it doesn't really sound all that helpful when my problem is more about buying useless stuff than spending money. Maybe I should try the five item limit in May. Thanks for sharing it! 
smile.gif

Back