April 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Olivia Bercik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh oh loops, that sounds like trouble. Go in with Bandana around your eyes, earplugs in your ears and some type of breathing apparatus that blocks the smell of perfume from your nostrils. Hope all goes well with her situation, but make sure your spending situation is in control. That seems so horrible haha. I've been having loads of temptations or just in general days I want to go but something new.... A lot of those days recently. I think it's because of the stress I am suffering from. Only 3 weeks of college left and I have so many things due. Let alone studying for finals. I just want to go shopping to help me feel better. And if I added sephora to that mess id surely buy something. Hold strong for the both of us lol
Haha thanks! I'm going to try and focus on finding things to make her feel better rather than finding things for me to buy lol. Good luck with the end of school! I do NOT miss college lol.

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another evil practice that expanded my makeup collection way too much was filling up an online shopping cart just to get free shipping.  I've tried to stop that recently and it does help because I hate paying for shipping. 
I always do that too! It usually means throwing in something you may not necessarily be interested in. well, it does for me, at least. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always do that too! It usually means throwing in something you may not necessarily be interested in. well, it does for me, at least. 
I do it too, and its always something I probably wont' use from the sale section, lol.

I'm holding strong. I haven't bought anything in these 12 days. And chic week is so hard to pass up. But I'm determined. Sooooo hard. I'm in the mood for a set of Luxy hair extensions and sunless tanner. Not to mention wanting new spring clothes and nail polish! I went to rite aid and seen these super cute wet and wild nailpolishes. They were shaped like lollipops!!! Then there's also a new holographic polish line out too. Very hard to resist but I've managed. (Only 12 days) and its becoming increasingly harder as the days go on @.@ ....
GOOD FOR YOU!!! That is awesome :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm back.. my no buy is in full effect, minus my Julep order! No more purchases for a while.. I haven't had my birthday yet, but spent most of this month celebrating by buying anything and everything that made me go gaga eyes! Help!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm back.. my no buy is in full effect, minus my Julep order! No more purchases for a while.. I haven't had my birthday yet, but spent most of this month celebrating by buying anything and everything that made me go gaga eyes! Help!
Yeah after today I think I have to no-buy through the end of May... it has been a bad bad weekend for me haha.

After the Julep upgrade and my Starlooks (the eye stuff was all on sale!) and Glamour Doll Eyes (gotta get ready for all of the comic book movies starting to roll out soon, and it would suck to hold off on ordering until closer to the start of the summer movie season and then find out it's all on back order!) splurges, I'm on a three-week low-buy.  As far as beauty stuff goes, it's just subscriptions boxes for me until two paydays from now.  Exception items:  a few specific essence items from the Vintage District trend edition that I'm not sure were even released in the US (so I wouldn't be buying them if that is the case) and a new essence makeup sponge if I can find any (I think kitties stole the other one I got to compare it to beautyblenders).  And maybe the Allure summer box.  I had initially decided to get it, but the closer the sale date is, the more I'm rethinking it.  I'm not wild about spending the $50 right now, but these *are* things I would be buying over the next few months and spending a whole lot more than $50 on, so it would more than balance out.

ETA:  I"M SKIPPING THE ZOYA EARTH DAY PROMOTION!  This is *huge* for me.  I usually order the maximum number allowed during it every year.  But I'm skipping it this year.

@tulosai and MissLindaJean

I know what you mean! I somehow subscribed to 4 sub boxes this weekend alone 
doh.gif
. I need to stay away from that forum lol

This has been a horrible month! I haven't brought that many beauty items but I've splurged in every other area. Next month I'm definitely just buying a shu uemura eyelash curler, a tube of drugstore mascara and that's it.

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@tulosai and MissLindaJean

I know what you mean! I somehow subscribed to 4 sub boxes this weekend alone 
doh.gif
. I need to stay away from that forum lol

This has been a horrible month! I haven't brought that many beauty items but I've splurged in every other area. Next month I'm definitely just buying a shu uemura eyelash curler, a tube of drugstore mascara and that's it.
Yeah I am gonna spend the next month trying to use up samples and products I have.  I'm gonna keep my subs but that will be all for me next month.  I spent like $200 on nail polish and $150 on other beauty things this weekend. The $150 was moreorless necessary (it was shampoo, conditioner and a hair mask and some sunscreen, all ridiculously overpriced, that I got turned onto by samples so at least it's things I'll use up for sure even if I spent $150 for them) but the $200 was just poor judgment.  On the plus side I 'only' had like 20 nail polishes before this spree so I am not an addict in general.  Finding out about blog sales was way bad for me and now I have to recover.

Quote:Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just don't NEED anything! Maybe a new stick of deodorant, but that's it lol.

LOL same

Day 22..... I am golden thus far. But I need to thank my boyfriend for that. Went to sephora Saturday and was soooo tempted my the fragrance sample boxes. Apparently they have a new one filled with perfumes I haven't tried.... I wanted it so bad. Along with everything else in the store. The urban decay moon dusts were there and I played with them and they are as nice as i thought theys be... i needed them. But my friend bought me one for a late birthday present. So I now own "glitter rock" and friggin love it. Then we went into the new Vera Bradley store and I thought I'd be okay going there because I'm not that big if a Vera Bradley fan i mean I like them but I ruin purses so It wouldn't be worth it for me..... BUT I was wrong! I went in there and they have suuuuch cuuuuute purses I wanted one soooo bad.... But my bf came to the rescue when he told me that I'm friggin crazy and NO WAY on the purse hehe. Looking back he's right. It would have been a regretful splurge purchase, but I'm thinking of having him get me one for our anniversary next month. But hes more against the price than I am. So I unno go I'm going to pull that one off

Day 22..... I am golden thus far. But I need to thank my boyfriend for that. Went to sephora Saturday and was soooo tempted my the fragrance sample boxes. Apparently they have a new one filled with perfumes I haven't tried.... I wanted it so bad. Along with everything else in the store. The urban decay moon dusts were there and I played with them and needed them. But my fiend bought me one for a late birthday present. So I own "glitter rock" and love it. Then we went into the new Vera Bradley store and I thought I'd be okay going there because I'm not that big if a Vera Bradley fan. I like them but I ruin purses so It wouldn't be worth it for me..... BUT I was wrong! I went in there and they have suuuuch cuuuuute purses I wanted one sioooo bad.... But my bf came to the rescue when he told me that in crazy and NO on the purse hehe. Looking back he's right. I'm thinking of having him get me one for our anniversary next month. But yes more against the price than I am.
You are lucky my bf is a total enabler.  While on my nail polish spending spree this weekend I was like 'how many bottles of nail polish is it really reasonable to buy' and he was like 'however many would make you happy?'  

I was like ummm thanks for that lol.

Originally Posted by BeautyLoverIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is me too, all I need is toothpaste
Haha. All I need is toothpaste too! But -- last time I "needed" toothpaste I went all coupon crazy at Walgreens and got 6 tubes for 25cents each (after all that coupony math yanno). 

Lol! Tulosai, that's funny. And really sweet of him though! My boyfriend doesn't really mind when it comes to makeup or even nailpolish because he knows I'll use them and take care or them. But history shows when it comes to purses I destroy them.

sometimes he's a little more strict than I want him to be. He's really holding me to my NO BUY / LOW BUY month.. And I wanna kick him for it sometimes, lol >.<

May 1st I'd definately purchasing atleast 1 moondust. I'm not kidding when I say they are gorgeous. I have nothing like it in my collection so I can justify it. hehe.

I am going to attempt a low-buy next month! I knew that I wouldn't be able to commit to a no-buy/low-buy this month because of a skincare conference (where I was able to get really nice products at wholesale price) and Sephora Chic Week (during which I only bought skincare products). I need to settle down on skincare purchases for the near future (maybe even up to 1 year!) and use up what I have in my growing stock-pile of samples and full-size products.

Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are lucky my bf is a total enabler.  While on my nail polish spending spree this weekend I was like 'how many bottles of nail polish is it really reasonable to buy' and he was like 'however many would make you happy?'  

I was like ummm thanks for that lol.
That's cute! That would be my dream guy lol

I thought I would be caving in to the zoya earth day thingie, but I didn't! Probably really helped that the pixie dusts were the only thing I wanted, and they were excluded from the promotion. Oh well, saved me a bunch of money!

Back