April 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And as for using up makeup... I'm getting pretty close to finally using up this crappy, too light for my skin revlon color stay foundation. Then onto others, I'm trying to save my favorite for last. (Urban decay naked) I'm almost completely out of my primer potion but that's not a big deal either considering I have lots of travel sizes to get through. I hit pan on an eyeshadow urban decay's suspect. And also my perversion eyeliner is getting to the point where I can't even hold it lol. So I'm doing ok but I recently got the urban decay vault so it's hard to get through that eyeliner when I have all these gorgeous colors staring at me lol.

I made my first (and hopefully only) beauty purchase of the month. I'm still under my 5 items but I feel like the weakest link because everyone else seems to be resisting the Sephora sale.

On another note, I installed a website blocker extension and blocked Sephora, Ulta, and drugstore.com because when I get bored or depressed I'm tempted to shop.

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I made my first (and hopefully only) beauty purchase of the month. I'm still under my 5 items but I feel like the weakest link because everyone else seems to be resisting the Sephora sale.

On another note, I installed a website blocker extension and blocked Sephora, Ulta, and drugstore.com because when I get bored or depressed I'm tempted to shop.
which app? i've been using stayfocused but it's too easy for me to just say "allow" site again when my time is almost up....

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

which app? i've been using stayfocused but it's too easy for me to just say "allow" site again when my time is almost up....
It's just called "Website Blocker" if you're using Google Chrome browser. It's not fancy, it just gets you a black screen when you try to access the site that you blocked. I looked at "Stay Focused" but I can easily ignore a timer.

It's just called "Website Blocker" if you're using Google Chrome browser. It's not fancy, it just gets you a black screen when you try to access the site that you blocked. I looked at "Stay Focused" but I can easily ignore a timer.
Thanks! Ya i'm using Chrome. the problem is that I always have safari and firefox as backups...lol

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks! Ya i'm using Chrome. the problem is that I always have safari and firefox as backups...lol
lol I never thought of that. All of my bookmarks and passwords are on Chrome so I usually avoid other browsers.

I ...

had...

no idea that existed!

I told my BF to get that on my computer and he told me he would rather have me  see it, and then not buy it to overcome my problem, instead of trying to avoid it..

I'd rather just have the site blocker. It's way too hard.. This Sephora Sale!

EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS OF WEBSITES WITH SALES.

I sound like an addict trying to kick an addiction...

and maybe that is what I am..

I love makeup though, it's really the only thing I like to spend money on. And I also love sales, those combined are a deadly combination.

I'm holding up still.... I need to get more active in swaps. I have loads of eyeliners I want to unload and instead of getting cash, I could just swap em for something different.

Originally Posted by Olivia Bercik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I ...

had...

no idea that existed!

I told my BF to get that on my computer and he told me he would rather have me  see it, and then not buy it to overcome my problem, instead of trying to avoid it..

I'd rather just have the site blocker. It's way too hard.. This Sephora Sale!

EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS OF WEBSITES WITH SALES.

I sound like an addict trying to kick an addiction...

and maybe that is what I am..

I love makeup though, it's really the only thing I like to spend money on. And I also love sales, those combined are a deadly combination.

I'm holding up still.... I need to get more active in swaps. I have loads of eyeliners I want to unload and instead of getting cash, I could just swap em for something different.
Well this addict is kicking my addiction by blocking sties. I can usually see something once and not buy it. I'm trying to break the habit of random browsing at Sephora and Ulta. I rather do one long relaxing browse on Sephora's site one in a blue moon than browse multiple times a day. All that browsing tempts me to buy stuff that I wouldn't have brought if I didn't see it several times in a day (if that makes sense).

My goal is to eventually be able to avoid sites on my own but I'm still in the phase when I need help quitting so I'm using the site blocker. After a few days I'll disable it and resist on my own.

It's worked before but then I got promos/coupons. But I unsubscribed from Ulta, BE, etc. emails so I should be good now.

I put my blocked sites down to 30 min a day (which doesn't leave much time for that 12 sites lol) so hopefully that works. and in an attempt to start using up my products i'm going to limit myself to one blush, mascara, eyeliner, and shadow for the rest of the month just to see how much of a dent I make (out of curiosity lol)

Java, I've tried that, but since I got the urban decay eyeliner vault I can't stop using different liners. I literately have maybe 2 sharpens on my perversion pencil yet, but it's taking forever to finish it up, lol.Good luck! Keep me updated, I'm curious too. =D

And Lioness , I completely understand. Especially the Sale section of Sephora. But I'm at the point where my BF has me feeling guilty if I buy it, cause He's the one who gets the mail, so he'll know. Lol.>.< Its awful. We need Make up Anonymous for real!

I just wanted to announce that I've hit pan on my samples of mary loumanizer AND hot mama by the balm. Feels PRETTY good. Of course I have the balm jovi palette which also has mary loumanizer lol. DANG IT.

Originally Posted by Olivia Bercik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And Lioness , I completely understand. Especially the Sale section of Sephora. 
The sale section of Sephora is addictive! And I love to see what's new.

I'm going to make an honest effort not to buy anything for the rest of the month. I really want to do a no-buy next month since I have so much stuff to use up.

The sale section of Sephora is addictive! And I love to see what's new.

I'm going to make an honest effort not to buy anything for the rest of the month. I really want to do a no-buy next month since I have so much stuff to use up.
I think its really lucky for me that most of what I want  from the Sephora sale section is out of stock, otherwise I'd be in trouble lol. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think its really lucky for me that most of what I want  from the Sephora sale section is out of stock, otherwise I'd be in trouble lol. 
Lol yep. Same.

It's the dang sale section at Sephora that got me started down this road of evil makeup hoarding and overspending!  Last summer when they discontinued Tokidoki, Tarina Tarantino, AND the Sephora Pro series brushes, I went on a few crazy spending sprees which then became habit.....I swear that before that I only made 2-3 trips a year to Sephora!  

Ahhh, I remember what made me start hoarding makeup. I barely have any eyebrows and I heard good things about Anastasia products so I went to Sephora to buy the brow powder, eyebrow brush, and the Sephora Favorites eyeliner set they had last October. One step inside a Sephora got me hooked on makeup forever.

Another evil practice that expanded my makeup collection way too much was filling up an online shopping cart just to get free shipping.  I've tried to stop that recently and it does help because I hate paying for shipping. 

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another evil practice that expanded my makeup collection way too much was filling up an online shopping cart just to get free shipping.  I've tried to stop that recently and it does help because I hate paying for shipping. 
I do the same thing. I've never made a Sephora purchase under $50 because rather get free slow shipping than pay for shipping. 

Wellll my bff's boyfriend broke up with her so I am being a supportive friend and going to sephora with her. This means trouble lol.

Uh oh loops, that sounds like trouble. Go in with Bandana around your eyes, earplugs in your ears and some type of breathing apparatus that blocks the smell of perfume from your nostrils. Hope all goes well with her situation, but make sure your spending situation is in control. That seems so horrible haha. I've been having loads of temptations or just in general days I want to go but something new.... A lot of those days recently. I think it's because of the stress I am suffering from. Only 3 weeks of college left and I have so many things due. Let alone studying for finals. I just want to go shopping to help me feel better. And if I added sephora to that mess id surely buy something. Hold strong for the both of us lol

Back