April 2014 No/Low-Buy Support, Advice, Free Hugs, and Commiseration

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really only interested in getting the It Girl box since its the only one with all polish. The other two come with some cuticle pen or something and I don't mess with my cuticles at all so I wouldn't use it. Previously I think It Girl was offering me a purple, silver and maybe a white polish - now its teal, yellow and the same white I think. I'm just not really feeling them.

Its good to know the windows though in case I do decide to pull the trigger on it. I'll probably just keep waiting until they change the colors again though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooMuchElectric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The previous product was Luxe Repair Serum. I'm not sure when they changed it to Mighty Oil Stick (sometime since November, which is when I signed up). I know they've changed a couple polishes since then (Classic w/a Twist intro had Myrtle and Isla, and now I think it's Myrtle and Florence), but no drastic changes. The intro boxes are still a great deal. The Mighty stick has been great for my nails, I think Myrtle is one of their best, and I know people really love Lola and Zelda (I don't own either though).

But yeah, the intro boxes stay the same. The Maven window for box options is the 20th-24th of every month. If you sign up before the 18th of the month, you'll get your intro box and then be able to choose your maven box for that month. If you sign up after the 18th, you'll get your intro box and your first "real" maven box will be the next month. Hope that helps!

OMG, ya'll. I went into to K-Mart (I was just killing time before The Shoe Dept opened, I'm not suppose to buy shoes this month, but I'll be purchasing new Converse next month, shopping around) and they had literally over 20 boxes stuffed with make-up and nail polish on clearance at 1-5$ each. It was so so so so hard, but I resisted the pretties. It stressed me out a little bit, but I did it.

I did place a Sephora order on Thursday, but it was for the face wash that I knew I needed to replace. I almost bought the Naked2 palette, but I'm starting a bariatric weight loss program in a little over a week, so I decided I would use the Naked2 palette as a reward goal. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did, however, use one of my 'oops' buys for the month today. I needed a make-up mirror pretty badly, my boyfriend's house isn't exactly girl-friendly yet. So, I went to Ross and got a really cute one for 17$, well under my oops allowance of 50$.

Now, if I can make it off of Birchbox's website with only ordering my boyfriend some beard conditioner (we're still silly kids and make each other Easter baskets, lol), I'll feel accomplished. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ETA: Oh yeah, I bought 2 e-liquid oils for my vaporizer today as well, but that was also a listed known-expense for this month. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't consider this cheating. I was looking at Chanel blue mascara and my parents bought it for me as a birthday present...but I may have asked them to do it lol I don't mess around with Chanel though. Nope.

Quote: Originally Posted by MIKAGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't consider this cheating. I was looking at Chanel blue mascara and my parents bought it for me as a birthday present...but I may have asked them to do it lol I don't mess around with Chanel though. Nope.

@MIKAGlam I'm pretty sure there's a law that you can't pass up free Chanel!  Happy Birthday!

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@MIKAGlam I'm pretty sure there's a law that you can't pass up free Chanel!  Happy Birthday!
My thoughts exactly! Thank you!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah you don't say no to free Chanel. Today was so BAD at work!! I will not shop I will not shop.....putting off my face wash order because I don't trust myself on ulta or sephoras website right now. Started looking and said nope nope nope! No buy life is hard y'all.

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah you don't say no to free Chanel.

Today was so BAD at work!! I will not shop I will not shop.....putting off my face wash order because I don't trust myself on ulta or sephoras website right now. Started looking and said nope nope nope! No buy life is hard y'all.
You ain't lyin! lol.

I spent the entire day yesterday shopping with my sister! I brought her to the new strip all thingy. She dropped some money at Old Navy. I ended up spending $22 at Ulta - stuff for my sister mostly. I owed her for drinks a couple weeks ago so this evened us out. I bought myself a comb and hair elastics. I needed it! I also ordered jeans from Levi's. I forgot to return my wonky gap pants though. Oopsies. But yeah, about sizing - I know a number is just a number but... I'm usually a 16-18 but Levi's seat measurement puts me at like a 26 (or 38 in jeans sizes). Despite the number being a blow to my ego, the jeans I got fit perrrrrfect i got the supreme curve skinny jeans. I'm bummed because they're not skinny, skinny leg... More straight. Definitely will look good with flats but not skinny enough to tuck into boots. But my booty looks gooood. Anyway, after this week's money spending extravaganza, I think I'm done. I'm not loving the urban decay foundation I bought but that could just be because my skin is a little dry right now and the foundation is emphasizing that. But I got it all out of my system! Done! No more shopping!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I spent the entire day yesterday shopping with my sister! I brought her to the new strip all thingy. She dropped some money at Old Navy. I ended up spending $22 at Ulta - stuff for my sister mostly. I owed her for drinks a couple weeks ago so this evened us out. I bought myself a comb and hair elastics. I needed it!

I also ordered jeans from Levi's. I forgot to return my wonky gap pants though. Oopsies. But yeah, about sizing - I know a number is just a number but... I'm usually a 16-18 but Levi's seat measurement puts me at like a 26 (or 38 in jeans sizes). Despite the number being a blow to my ego, the jeans I got fit perrrrrfect i got the supreme curve skinny jeans. I'm bummed because they're not skinny, skinny leg... More straight. Definitely will look good with flats but not skinny enough to tuck into boots. But my booty looks gooood.

Anyway, after this week's money spending extravaganza, I think I'm done. I'm not loving the urban decay foundation I bought but that could just be because my skin is a little dry right now and the foundation is emphasizing that. But I got it all out of my system! Done! No more shopping!
i wanna get some proper jeans some time. i always just buy a few at a time at aeropostale since forever. they have frequent sales and i already know my size, so i end up getting something like 4 jeans for $50. lol. ALL of my jeans are from aeropostale. i think i already have all the styles and washes. someday i'll own other brands too. levi's is def something i'd wanna look into! if only i'm not so lazy going into the store for proper fitting....

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  i wanna get some proper jeans some time. i always just buy a few at a time at aeropostale since forever. they have frequent sales and i already know my size, so i end up getting something like 4 jeans for $50. lol. ALL of my jeans are from aeropostale. i think i already have all the styles and washes. someday i'll own other brands too. levi's is def something i'd wanna look into! if only i'm not so lazy going into the store for proper fitting....
i dont live near a levi's store and they don't carry above a ... 14? i think? so i had to take a gamble on these. they're a nicer quality denim. i usually just buy gap jeans but their quality has gone sooo downhill and everything is flimsy, thin, and super stretchy but in a cheap way. I think that if you know Aeropostale or whatever brand works for you, then stick to it!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I spent the entire day yesterday shopping with my sister! I brought her to the new strip all thingy. She dropped some money at Old Navy. I ended up spending $22 at Ulta - stuff for my sister mostly. I owed her for drinks a couple weeks ago so this evened us out. I bought myself a comb and hair elastics. I needed it!
Aww, fun! I wish I lived closer to my sisters. We all have different but kind of complementary styles, so it's always a good balance of enabling and being honest about what looks weird or is a bad purchase.

I want makeup.

I want makeup.

I want makeup.

I want to spend.

... :C

This is horrible! I have a giant itch to go crazy hauling, and it's dumb because there's nothing I need. Perhaps it's boredom? stress? IDK. 

I want makeup. I want makeup. I want makeup. I want to spend. ... :C This is horrible! I have a giant itch to go crazy hauling, and it's dumb because there's nothing I need. Perhaps it's boredom? stress? IDK. 
Stay strong! Distract yourself, read a book maybe😊 I've been fighting the 15%off at sephora code. I did it though. No sephora for me. There was nothing I could even think of that I needed but I felt like I was wasting it if I didn't use it. But I prevailed and you can too!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by angienharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stay strong!
Distract yourself, read a book maybe😊
I've been fighting the 15%off at sephora code. I did it though. No sephora for me. There was nothing I could even think of that I needed but I felt like I was wasting it if I didn't use it. But I prevailed and you can too!!!
thank you darling! I stopped looking at haul videos on youtube and started looking at project pan ones, which usually get me back to an "omg it takes so freaking long to finish this, why do i need more than one?!" mentality. I also closed out all makeup related websites.

I've been LEMMING hard after almay's lip balms, which i own one of and now want all the other colors, as well as illamasqua.... i think i will be slowly replacing some items with illamasqua items, because the brand is so amazing, quality wise, and also cruelty free. but for now i have no money T-T and i am trying to be good about my no-buy.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I want makeup.

I want makeup.

I want makeup.

I want to spend.

... :C

This is horrible! I have a giant itch to go crazy hauling, and it's dumb because there's nothing I need. Perhaps it's boredom? stress? IDK. 
omgggg, me too! i just wanna shop today. i resisted all my window shopping today, but i've been beggingggg my boyfriend to take me on a sephora haul tomorrow. lol. it's been a no go. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by trustlust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  omgggg, me too! i just wanna shop today. i resisted all my window shopping today, but i've been beggingggg my boyfriend to take me on a sephora haul tomorrow. lol. it's been a no go. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I just recently have started getting more into lipstick and lip gloss and .... i want every freaking color under the sun. All of the maybelline lipsticks, all of the revlon lipsticks, all of the milani lipsticks, all of the almay lip balms, all of the rimmel apocalips, all of the mac lipsticks... etc etc. Then there's the lip glosses.... omg. Like, I freaking want everything. God knows I don't even have enough money for it, and it takes me a lifetime and then some to make it through a single tube of gloss, but for some reason the idea of colorful lips just has me drooling. gah! 

So I'm going to have to go ahead with my Paula's Choice order some time this week. The winter has ended and my foundation really wasn't meant for combination skin. Why did it have to be such a good color match?! I tried a sample of the PC Shine Stopper last week and when I finished it I may have looked accusingly at the little jar I had depotted it into. So, I think I'll be picking up the full size and maybe the SPF moisturizer. I'm trying to make myself wait until the current round of sales ends on the site before I pull the trigger and use the coupon code ebates has. Which then has me debating on if I should get, um, something not on my approved list until after my test since that code is one-time use. 

Hi everyone, so I've been thinking of going on a low-buy/no-buy for a while and since I just made a bunch of purchases and am now pretty well-stocked with stuff I need, I have decided it's a good time to actually start
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just recently have started getting more into lipstick and lip gloss and .... i want every freaking color under the sun. All of the maybelline lipsticks, all of the revlon lipsticks, all of the milani lipsticks, all of the almay lip balms, all of the rimmel apocalips, all of the mac lipsticks... etc etc. Then there's the lip glosses.... omg. Like, I freaking want everything. God knows I don't even have enough money for it, and it takes me a lifetime and then some to make it through a single tube of gloss, but for some reason the idea of colorful lips just has me drooling. gah! 
I feel the same way! My problem is that I like having complete "collections" of stuff - so I bought all of the Revlon Lip Butters back in Dec/Jan when they were on sale at Ulta. I'm really trying to prevent myself from buying a different brand/line of lipstick before I finish my lip butters because then I'll want to collect all of them, too!

BAHHHHHH. I caved. :/ I bought a UD Smoked palette (a palette I've been really, really, really wanting) off eBay tonight. But I don't feel bad about it, so I think it's going to be okay. I start my bariatric weight loss program a week from Tuesday, so now, I have to get serious about Monday. Groceries ain't gonna be cheap, ya'll. lol.

April seems to be turning into a tough month for all of us...we're only 7 days in and having some struggles already. but remember this is a one-day-at-a-time type of thing. 

I am glad to come back and say I weathered my giant "OMG GOTTA HAVE IT" day and no purchases made. I'm still good on my no-buy, so far. Now I just gotta put my efforts into something else. I have fallen off the gym bandwagon while we still spend our nights packing for our move, so instead I am trying (as best as I can anyway) to focus on eating healthy... it's a tall task, friends.

Hope everyone's having a happy Monday. 

Latest posts

Back