April 2014 No/Low-Buy Support, Advice, Free Hugs, and Commiseration

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I brought the PopSugar box....but for my mom's Mother's Day gift. I have WAY too many dupes to justify buying that palette for myself. My mom started getting into makeup and she loves neutrals. Hopefully she's not turned off by the names of the shadows lol
i think that's a great idea!!! i was going through the other potential spoilers and i was thinking it would be great for my mom too!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
i think that's a great idea!!! i was going through the other potential spoilers and i was thinking it would be great for my mom too!

Yep, all of the spoilers are things that my mom would def use too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I brought the PopSugar box....but for my mom's Mother's Day gift. I have WAY too many dupes to justify buying that palette for myself. My mom started getting into makeup and she loves neutrals. Hopefully she's not turned off by the names of the shadows lol
Hahaha that's so true for my mom, better than sex mascara... I purchase her Tarte at Christmas because the quality is good and the names are normal

Quote: Originally Posted by SaraP /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
Hahaha that's so true for my mom, better than sex mascara... I purchase her Tarte at Christmas because the quality is good and the names are normal Lol I think it would be so awkward to give my mom 'better than sex' mascara (even though I love it). 

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish my mom liked makeup!!!! It would be so much fun to get her stuff that I like to buy too....but unfortunately, my makeup obsession is definitely nature vs nurture.....

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  UUUUGH.  can i rant for just a second?
mad.gif

I spent a good chunk of money on pants at GAP a week or so ago when they had 40% off online. I spent about $70 on two pairs (ok so not too much money...but a lot to me!). I had a pair of black pants that I picked up in store, LOVED, and they fit so well. So I decided to buy a back up pair of black and a blue pair as well. The blue pair does not zip. at all. like I *barely* fit into it. Well, I acutally don't fit into them - they don't zip. The material is also different from the black ones? Like, heavier but in a weird velvety way (or like...the equivalent of a microfiber couch but in pants form when the black ones are definitely more cottony). The black pair is perrrfect though.

I know this rant wasn't make up related BUT as part of my general-life-low-buy, I was in the clear to shop for clothes but for me this meant shopping smarter. I'm pretty disappointed. I could keep the pants until I lose weight but, yikes. They're such a disappointment!

I'll probably pop by the mall to make a return. I'll try *not* to pick anything up from Sephora - especially considering that I was just there yesterday!
I know exactly what you mean.  This is way more true with jeans, but in college I worked at Express and whenever ladies would find jeans they loved and wanted to grab another color I would always try to get them to try them on first even though it was the same kind & size.  A lot of times they would fit differently.  Something about the way pant pieces are cut out that they are never from the same part of the fabric so they can't 100% match up/stretch/move exactly the same from pair to pair.  Also, people always loved the pair that I watched get tried on like 10 times that day.  Seems kinda icky, but hey it's already worn in!

I've already failed. 4 days in. 

$122 at American Eagle on some of my closet staples (which I never feel terribly bad about), and a few gifts.

I had a bad morning and it was retail therapy. 
Now I feel like I want to buy some makeup also, though... Maybe just one or two inexpensive items from my loves at Sephora...to curb my appetite. 

Ok so I did good in March, except I went way over budget for my son's birthday party =X Now that its over I really have to crack down on myself to do no extra spending until vacation. I've been doing some SERIOUS subscription box window shopping to try and curb my shopping addiction. Less than 2 weeks until my vacation and then when I'm back its my birtdhday so I'm hoping I can hold out until then! I ordered two subscription boxes because they were free. I almost signed up for the free Julep box but I didn't like the colors this month. So I need to remember to cancel those boxes! Unless I really like one of them and then I might keep it because its only $6 a month. Its a snack box and I spend way more than that on food at work so it might be a good way to save money. Speaking of which I really need to take it easy on food spending in general. I bet I've spent over $100 at McAlister's alone in the past month. I can't help it though! Its so delicious! Panera is getting a lot of my money too. I just hate eating at the "less expensive but worse for you" places around work. I would bring my lunch but 1) My 1yr old keeps me busy enough when I'm at home and 2) I really just enjoy leaving the building on my lunch breaks at work. I know I'm going to go to McAlister's tonight though lol Their potato salad and sweet tea is calling my name! Anyway, I went ahead and subsribed to Ipsy because I just really want it and I know I will spend my birthday money on a subsription. So since there is a wait list I figured it would be ok to do it in advance and if it goes through before I come back from vacation its only $10 so it won't kill me. When I come back from vacation I'm going to sign up for Nailette and then order a Loot Crate for the boyfriend. I really want to get something for the little guy too but I would prefer a box that is for Mom and Baby and I just can't find one that I like. I only want to spend around $20 for it.

I just had to do the same thing. Basically I googled "Laptop Repair" and my city. I had to call around but eventually I found someone who did it for $160 and it only took him like 2 days. $160 is actually a really good price because everyone else kept quoting me over $200. I tried to hold out with the cracked screen because I hated to spend so much but eventually it just had to be fixed. I should probably mention however that the person who did mine was just some collge kid with a website lol, he didn't work for a company or anything. I dropped it off at his house >.> But he had a good online reputation.

Non beauty, but kind of necessary for MUT - I need to get my laptop's screen replaced.  I was quite stupid and left my laptop closed on the floor, and during a kid/dog chase through the living room, SOMEONE stepped on my computer.  There's a huge spiderweb crack radiating out from the right side, and whole portions of the screen around the cracks is black.  It's kind of funny, because the pattern looks like a dinosaur footprint on my screen, but really not, because I have to grab my screen and scoot it around to see every word/image.  Has anyone ever had a similar situation and knows approximately how much it is to get the screen replaced at a Best Buy - type location?  (Neither my hubby nor I are good at fixing computers, and we haven't lived here very long and don't know any good local computer repair shops.)

Quote: Originally Posted by BeMyBait /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I almost signed up for the free Julep box but I didn't like the colors this month.
FYI, the free/intro boxes don't change each month. Julep tweaks them a few times a year, but I think it's just when they run out of stock.

I just placed my Sephora order, and I was actually under my budget for myself! I am really proud of myself for this because it required flexing a lot of willpower muscles and really asking whether I needed something or was just thinking ohh pretty/shiny/etc.

I almost caved today.

I had a fight with the guy I am seeing (complicated) and I had to get some personal products at the store and I walked by the makeup and just stared at it. But I had to remember that it would only make me happy for a split second and would not solve any of my problems so I walked away.

I shopped today, but I justified it, lol. Two $1 Sephora orders to get some samples that I wanted to try (allowed) and a 50% April Popsugar box. I can sell a couple of things that I don't want from the PS box and it will more than make up the cost so I felt justified and I do actually need some of the items in the box. 

Well that certainly sucks. I liked the ones before-hand but I was holding off since I'm on the no-buy. I swear they JUST changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooMuchElectric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  FYI, the free/intro boxes don't change each month. Julep tweaks them a few times a year, but I think it's just when they run out of stock.

Quote: Originally Posted by BeMyBait /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The previous product was Luxe Repair Serum. I'm not sure when they changed it to Mighty Oil Stick (sometime since November, which is when I signed up). I know they've changed a couple polishes since then (Classic w/a Twist intro had Myrtle and Isla, and now I think it's Myrtle and Florence), but no drastic changes. The intro boxes are still a great deal. The Mighty stick has been great for my nails, I think Myrtle is one of their best, and I know people really love Lola and Zelda (I don't own either though).

But yeah, the intro boxes stay the same. The Maven window for box options is the 20th-24th of every month. If you sign up before the 18th of the month, you'll get your intro box and then be able to choose your maven box for that month. If you sign up after the 18th, you'll get your intro box and your first "real" maven box will be the next month. Hope that helps!

I've been wearing a whole lot of shimmery brown eyeliner this month, and specifically a stila smudge stick that is probably going to run out soon, so I went to Sephora during lunch today to let a coworker use my Rouge discount (she wanted mascara, and letting her use my discount meant I got the points, and then it turned out that they were still giving away the Rouge bags and samples!) and swatch the UD pencils even though I'm on an eyeliner no-acquisition -- and I think that Corrupt is exactly what I want.  But!  I made it out of there without buying anything or even swatching anything other than exactly the eyeliners I was contemplating!  If the smudge stick does run out, I have dozens of blue/green/purple pencils to use, so I'm holding out to see what the April and May Starboxes contain and whether their next loyalty reward is another $35 discount code.  If we don't get the shimmery brown liner of my dreams in one of the boxes and we do get a discount code, I'll order a pencil (among other things, but the pencil is vital here) with the code.  If not, I'll get one from Birchbox using points.  Well, gift cards that I purchased with points.  Close enough.  Either way, I won't be spending actual money.  

(A no-acquisition bans even using points or a discount code to get something for free, but since I'm looking at buying this to replace something I've used up rather than to augment my MUST HAVE ALL OF THE PURPLES collection, I am okay with getting this particular item this way.  I love my colorful blue/green/purple pencils, so I have a whole lot of each, but I also have a lot of green/aqua shadows I wear mostly in the spring that I have discovered look best on me with shimmery brown liner, so I'm not willing to use this one up and not replace it.)

Spending my day cleaning and packing for the move ...holy crap do I have a lot of stuff. Going to be donating a bunch of ol' clothes, I think. Trip to goodwill tonight. 

I'm exhausted and don't even want to put on makeup... one would think weekends would be days for me to play with it and have some fun. NOPE. Nothing. I might consider getting "ready" to go to goodwill but uhm...maybe not. lol. 

Sigh.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother wanting more shinies if I'm not going to wear them...

Good luck with the move! I made about a zillion trips to the goodwill when we moved, we were literally on a first name basis with the collection dude. It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years.

I want to buyyyy stuff today as I'm at work and I am NOT feeling it and just want to order pretties. I do need face wash though (and it's allowed on my no-buy) so maybe I'll just order that to squash it a little. I  keep holding out for my 20% ulta coupon to show up but I don't think it ever will, so might as well  bite the bullet and get my 15% at Sephora while I can.

Whoa. I just decided to go through my two Glossyboxes of samples and it was kind of shocking. I have a LOT of samples, both foils and deluxe. It kind of stressed me out because sometimes one foil last many, many uses. But I organized them a little better and I put out several that I am going to use this week!

Quote: Originally Posted by lindzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Whoa. I just decided to go through my two Glossyboxes of samples and it was kind of shocking. I have a LOT of samples, both foils and deluxe. It kind of stressed me out because sometimes one foil last many, many uses. But I organized them a little better and I put out several that I am going to use this week!

I know how you feel - I'm not even a samples person nor do I have any box subscriptions, and yet I still have a ton of samples to go through...wtf. 

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Good luck with the move! I made about a zillion trips to the goodwill when we moved, we were literally on a first name basis with the collection dude. It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years.

I want to buyyyy stuff today as I'm at work and I am NOT feeling it and just want to order pretties. I do need face wash though (and it's allowed on my no-buy) so maybe I'll just order that to squash it a little. I  keep holding out for my 20% ulta coupon to show up but I don't think it ever will, so might as well  bite the bullet and get my 15% at Sephora while I can.

Thank you! It's ridiculous. I also found shoes I had forgotten about! I love them but some will only really look good once I slim my legs down a bit (like ankle booties and such). Sigh. The things we do for beauty.

Back