April 2014 No/Low-Buy Support, Advice, Free Hugs, and Commiseration

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing OK-ish so far. I made an ulta order yesterday, but it was face wash (which was allowed), and dry shampoo (which I didn't list as allowed, but is a necessity and I'm almost out so I"m not feeling the slightest bit bad about this). Only thing I didn't need was a body scrub, but I was $6 away from free shipping, so I threw in a tree hut one, basically making it $2 ($8 for the scrub, but it cancelled out the $5.95 shipping cost) so I think that's ok.

I have a full cart at Sephora but I've been resisting pulling the trigger. I spent a ridiculous amount of money at Chic Week so I do NOT need to order anything else. Good luck everyone!! I agree, this month seems hard. I think it's a combination of all the sales right now + new pretties for spring.

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm doing OK-ish so far. I made an ulta order yesterday, but it was face wash (which was allowed), and dry shampoo (which I didn't list as allowed, but is a necessity and I'm almost out so I"m not feeling the slightest bit bad about this). Only thing I didn't need was a body scrub, but I was $6 away from free shipping, so I threw in a tree hut one, basically making it $2 ($8 for the scrub, but it cancelled out the $5.95 shipping cost) so I think that's ok.

I have a full cart at Sephora but I've been resisting pulling the trigger. I spent a ridiculous amount of money at Chic Week so I do NOT need to order anything else. Good luck everyone!! I agree, this month seems hard. I think it's a combination of all the sales right now + new pretties for spring.
Don't pull the trigger on sephora! if you don't need it then it's not a good deal. Sales + Spring = hardest thing ever. I've been CRAVING color... which is probably where the whole mess of wanting stuff is coming from. 

I'm getting by so far just by finding items I haven't used in a bit and using them for a while... hope it sticks. 
sadyes.gif

I'm really glad I didn't write any rules for this month because I would have blown them by now. I made a $55 order for Chic Week from Sephora - no makeup (REN cleansing water, cotton rounds, and a Tarte brush that was super friggin expensive). I also have an order at Ulta for today or tomorrow because a lovely lady put an extra code up for grabs. That will be the Anastasia Bold Brow kit, EOS smooth lip balm, Tangle Teezer, and then my sister is getting the UD book of shadows. I need to order a body for the reborn doll I'm working on ($13 ish) by the end of the month. There are quite a few expensive makeup products that I'm dying to get but I am resisting because the cash flow isn't endless. I went to Woodfield last week and spent about $40 between Ulta, AE, Aeropostale, B&BW (actually free... just used the coupon for a free travel item), MAC (got the Fix+ mini. still trying to decide if I like it), and Delia's. 

The main problem with Woodfield is that every time I go there, I come out wanting a minimum of $250 of stuff. ATM I really want a Victoria's Secret sports bra (open back player one I believe) but I'm going to hold out for their SAS. 

The point of this big long post is that I'm a shopaholic. People define that differently but I'm almost there. At least I'm nowhere near hitting Platinum or VIB. 

I apologize if this post was enabling - hold out! More sales will come ;D

April :

I walked around Sephora on Sunday and bought clearance Lorac concealer since I'm almost out of my current concealer, as well as, the Pantone blush palette and used the Chic Week 15% off. Now I'm done. I have a cart full of stuff online but I'm ignoring it.

I'll probably need face wash by the end of the month but that's all I'm allowed. I am so close to finishing Bella Bamba by Benefit which is my HG blush and back at Christmas I bought a replacement so I'm totally fine with that.

Basically I'm on a makeup no buy because I have plenty.

I'm also looking to find all my freebies from Sephora that I never got around to using and sell them as a lot on ebay. I'm adopted so I can't give any of my makeup that doesn't work to my mom or my sister since I'm dark brown and they are blue eyed and blond hair. This makes getting rid of things so difficult.

I'm really glad I didn't write any rules for this month because I would have blown them by now. I made a $55 order for Chic Week from Sephora - no makeup (REN cleansing water, cotton rounds, and a Tarte brush that was super friggin expensive). I also have an order at Ulta for today or tomorrow because a lovely lady put an extra code up for grabs. That will be the Anastasia Bold Brow kit, EOS smooth lip balm, Tangle Teezer, and then my sister is getting the UD book of shadows. I need to order a body for the reborn doll I'm working on ($13 ish) by the end of the month. There are quite a few expensive makeup products that I'm dying to get but I am resisting because the cash flow isn't endless. I went to Woodfield last week and spent about $40 between Ulta, AE, Aeropostale, B&BW (actually free... just used the coupon for a free travel item), MAC (got the Fix+ mini. still trying to decide if I like it), and Delia's.  The main problem with Woodfield is that every time I go there, I come out wanting a minimum of $250 of stuff. ATM I really want a Victoria's Secret sports bra (open back player one I believe) but I'm going to hold out for their SAS.  The point of this big long post is that I'm a shopaholic. People define that differently but I'm almost there. At least I'm nowhere near hitting Platinum or VIB.  I apologize if this post was enabling - hold out! More sales will come ;D
I used to live in an apartment less then 5 minutes away from wood field. Now I live about 20 min away and I save so much money just because I rarely feel like driving over there.

I used to live in an apartment less then 5 minutes away from wood field. Now I live about 20 min away and I save so much money just because I rarely feel like driving over there.
I live 45 minutes away so getting my mother to agree to take me there (I'm too young to drive) is rare. I'm generally there about three times a year. But places like LUSH and Sephora take me like an hour each so I'm a pain to shop with. I take my time :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ugh. My boyfriend is out of town this week. You know what that means? going out with my friends EVERY. NIGHT. even though i'm not shopping or anything, i'm spending SO MUCH MONEY on food out. like whats wrong with me?! we went grocery shopping before he left! I'm so sorry if I sound like such a whiny girl but I'm usually the one who leaves for a week (or semester?) at a time for school/work stuff so its so odd being home alone! 

I caved when I found out my Sephora had the new perfume sampler with the mini bottles that is always out of stock online. I'm okay with it because the minis are cute and I got the full size Nirvana White at no extra cost. Plus I got the 15% off due to chic week. It won't happen again this month. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
However, I'm going to allow myself to buy eyelash glue, probably this week. I lost my other tube, and I have so many fake eyelashes laying around that I want to put to use.

Haven't bought anything except planned items from chic week! I need to stay frugal, though, because of my new (but used) car. For those of you with full carts: try moving he items onto your loves list instead! I find that having something on a wishlist instead of a shopping cart makes it seem further away and not so easily attainable. More often than not, in fact probably 80% of the time, I take items off of my wishlist because the want for them disappears after a while.

It looks like I'm not the only one struggling this month! So far the purchases I have made have been within my low buy rules, but I am feeling the urge to spend, spend, spend! I'm taking it one day at a time and continuing to focus on using up products and samples.

UGH It's hard not to buy anything. I have an urge to do a high end lippie haul. Must. Resist. 

I know I blew 80% of my splurge budget within the first few days of this month on the April PopSugar box, but I honestly haven't felt the urge to shop since then. I think my stash is really starting to get to me. I have So. Much. Stuff. And it refuses to go away. I'm trying to finish up this Fresh Sugar Lip in Petal (I hit "pan" on it a few weeks ago and have been digging the rest out with a lip brush) and I swear it multiplies at night while I'm sleeping. It's time to reorganize my stash! Even though I feel successful now, I know I'll be tempted many more times throughout the month. And if I can tell myself "I don't care if it has a great GWP, you already have a million eyeshadows", maybe I can walk away from the online shopping cart!

I know I blew 80% of my splurge budget within the first few days of this month on the April PopSugar box, but I honestly haven't felt the urge to shop since then. I think my stash is really starting to get to me. I have So. Much. Stuff. And it refuses to go away. I'm trying to finish up this Fresh Sugar Lip in Petal (I hit "pan" on it a few weeks ago and have been digging the rest out with a lip brush) and I swear it multiplies at night while I'm sleeping. It's time to reorganize my stash! Even though I feel successful now, I know I'll be tempted many more times throughout the month. And if I can tell myself "I don't care if it has a great GWP, you already have a million eyeshadows", maybe I can walk away from the online shopping cart!
THIS. April has been soooo hard! Too many sales, too many new products that I've avoided successfully until all these recent sales. So far I went under budget at Sephora, but only cuz they didn't have what I wanted in stock. Picked up a couple basics at Ulta. And I grabbed a lipstick today at Walgreens totally unneeded but at least I finally found my HG my lips but better shade! Oh and I might have purchased two popsugar boxes. But at least I cancelled my second birchbox account?!? There's still things I want (hourglass blushes I'm looking at you) but I doubt will go back in stock before the sale ends. Right now I'm wanting ALL the things

Oh, people, April IS hard.  I bought my allowed makeup remover at the drugstore.  OK, fine.  But I am stressed about so many things right now (money, moving, kid's current school, which school kid will be in next year, etc.) that it would be really fun to go shopping!  I know it won't help.  I even played with a few eyeshadows I have today in an attempt to keep my UD lemming at bay.  I liked the look.  I didn't buy anything.  BUT I WANTED TO!  SO BAD! 

I bought an elf blush brush which I don't regret. I needed it for my highlighters. I think thats all the brushes I need though. (I have a makeup brush addiction) I mean for $3 it's not that big of a deal...I normally use MAC brushes so at least I am trying to save money by using Elf, but I do find myself reaching for my elf ones more.

Already blew my no buy goal out of the water, this is really sad :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Why can't I resist a good deal when there is nothing I need! Very disappointed in myself but hopefully I will have more self control the rest of this month.

Hang in there, everyone.

I've been struggling still because in my brain, all I want to do is go shopping. There's like a billion things that need to be accomplished right now: packing, for one, and making sure that all of our funds are safely tucked away for the expenses that buying a home entails... then there's all the other things I need to get done as well. Yet all I can think of is how much I want to go to ulta and grab some of the old packaging tarte blushes, and haul a bunch of lip products I don't need right now.

:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I sure could use with winning the lottery right about now. 

i caved and ordered something from beauty.com to get a gwp...ugh.

in other news, i think i found the *right* foundation. i've been using this sample of Bare Minerals Ready. I used to use it religously in high school. i know i stopped for some reason though... if i get to the outlet I'll stop by the Bare Minerals outlet to see if they have any deals on it. i like it! but.. for now..no more foundation accumulation.

i caved and ordered something from beauty.com to get a gwp...ugh. in other news, i think i found the *right* foundation. i've been using this sample of Bare Minerals Ready. I used to use it religously in high school. i know i stopped for some reason though... if i get to the outlet I'll stop by the Bare Minerals outlet to see if they have any deals on it. i like it! but.. for now..no more foundation accumulation.
Yay! For finding the right foundation!! Mine is It cosmetics cc cream but is so expensive I don't think I'll buy another bottle once it's gone...but let's hear more about this bare minerals outlet store...where is it!!?!

So many things are calling out to me!

The April Popsugar box... (aka: Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette), the IT Cosmetics sale (the Matte Eyeshadow Palette and I've heard good things about the CC Cream), the Smashbox Wondervision Palette which has come back to haunt me (I had breathed a sigh of relief when it disappeared from the Ulta website because I thought the urges to buy would go away... they haven't), and the Clinique Cheek Pops

I still have Chinese New Year's money but I don't need any of these things!
eusa_wall.gif

Is it sad that one of the things that's preventing me from purchasing all of these things is the fact that the leasing office to my apartment receives my packages and I don't want them to judge me? 
help.gif

Latest posts

Back