Are there any brands that you aren't interested in?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
many MUTers seems to not like benefit... but i love it! i think the tints are more than worth it! 
smile.gif

seeing your lists, i also wanna add a few brands to my 'not so interested' list:

Avon

Mary Kay

Too Faced

Laura Geller

Elizabeth Arden

I used to not be interested in Estee Lauder, but when i tried a value set with a light coverage foundation, concealer, and primer -- I am in love! that's all i use now. 

i also have very little interest in drugstore brands because i feel that their stuff changes all the time and it's hard to keep up! lol same with Bath and Body Works. i haven't tried anything from that brand, but i'll take it if it's free. right now, i'm not interested in any indie makeup brands cause i think the 'normal' brands have all the products i could ever need.

i'm guilty of collecting makeup and trying only the products which packaging appeals to me. i know i know.. 
smile.gif
 if the packaging isn't appealing, i won't even give it a try. yes, there are products with great packaging but bad quality, but i don't collect those...

interesting thread - and interesting to see people's preferences! 

edit: one exception though: MASCARA. whatever brand it is, i'll give it a try!!!! i'm interested in all the mascara in the world! LOL

I'm one of the minority that likes Benefit! Haha. There are a few of their products that were a total miss for me, but for the most part I like the brand. I don't really have an interest in Lancôme, Estée Lauder, Clinique, Avon, or Mary Kay.

I have wanted to like MAC, but i can't! The only experience i had with them, the gals that worked in the store were horrific jerks and it tainted the brand for me. I just wanted the Archie's Girls lipsticks!! All of my friends like Rimmel, but i just have no interest whatsoever, and that's really weird for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by sugarhiccup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Chanel, Givenchy, Dior, YSL...most luxury brands that aren't within range of my affordability. I try not to buy from brands that test on animals, but I wouldn't buy from those brands even if they didn't.

I wouldn't buy from MAC even if they stopped testing on animals, because I've tried some of their products when I was in high school, and it didn't impress me all that much. I'm not a makeup snob at all; it's just that MAC makeup doesn't really stand out to me.

I also have no interest in trying Lime Crime based on what I've heard about the scandal.
OooooOoo what scandal?

There's brands like LAgirl or dollar-store type brands that I'm not really interested in (ELF being the exception, I suppose, but I really only like some of their products, not all).

I'm not super into very high end makeup, its nice to have a couple of pieces but I'm not one of those insane junkies that just thinks something's great because it's made by a high-end company. I really do prefer the drugstore to Sephora price-point - I'm REALLY not interest in Marc Jacobs because the collection seems so self-indulgent... cool designs, mostly whatever quality eyeshadows (I've seen some negative reviews). 

Bobbi Brown. I always think of the R&B singer Bobby Brown, and I hate his music, so I can't make myself buy the cosmetics either, despite hearing great things. Also I have a mental image of all the cosmetics being brown, even though I know they're not. 

It's not a big deal to me anymore, but I used to be almost afraid of Clinique because it reminded me of hospitals or medicine. Something about that shade of green. 

There are so many I have not tried and never think of trying...but i'm not really sure why.  its funny because I just walk on by the counter like they are not even there - makes me feel kind of bad now that I think about it....I'm not sure I can remember them all now, but like Philosophy, Clinique, smashbox..... oh yeah.. like the rest, avon and mary kay too....

Personally, I am not loyal to any one brand. IMO each line has its specialty stand out products. Here are some examples:

Clinique/Estee Lauder-Foundation and Skin care- except Clinique's 3 step line which is boring

MAC- Fluidline, paintpots, and lipsticks of course

Philosophy- the 3 n 1 body washes are so decadent

Inglot- eyeshadows galore

Loreal- mascaras

UD- eyeliner

Revlon- lip products

Wet n Wild- eyeshadows

Physician's Formula- highlighters

Too Faced- bronzers, eyeshadow primer

Lancôme- mascaras and foundations

Feel free to add to this list, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Quote: Originally Posted by glitteraddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Personally, I am not loyal to any one brand. IMO each line has its specialty stand out products. Here are some examples:

Clinique/Estee Lauder-Foundation and Skin care- except Clinique's 3 step line which is boring

MAC- Fluidline, paintpots, and lipsticks of course

Philosophy- the 3 n 1 body washes are so decadent

Inglot- eyeshadows galore

Loreal- mascaras

UD- eyeliner

Revlon- lip products

Wet n Wild- eyeshadows

Physician's Formula- highlighters

Too Faced- bronzers, eyeshadow primer

Lancôme- mascaras and foundations

Feel free to add to this list, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
iagree.gif
 I feel like this is so true! 

Signature Club A might possible top my last of things I wouldn't want to try for a million dollars laid out in a line. When I was in high school it was very chic to have Adrien Arpel makeup; now I look at her and think damn, what happened??? Both Adrienne (as she is now known) and her product line; she herself is pumped up with enough Botox and collagen to fill a small army, and whatever she's demonstrating looks just horrendous. She will take a model and smear a foundation stick all over her face like a kindergartener going batcrap crazy on jumbo crayons, and smear it in. The models look greasy, cakey, and older than they look with a bare face, and this with a line targeted to women over 40.

Quote: Originally Posted by sugarhiccup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Chanel, Givenchy, Dior, YSL...most luxury brands that aren't within range of my affordability. I try not to buy from brands that test on animals, but I wouldn't buy from those brands even if they didn't.

I wouldn't buy from MAC even if they stopped testing on animals, because I've tried some of their products when I was in high school, and it didn't impress me all that much. I'm not a makeup snob at all; it's just that MAC makeup doesn't really stand out to me.

I also have no interest in trying Lime Crime based on what I've heard about the scandal.
I completely agree with everything you said. Mac. Limecrime, Covergirl, Maybelline for me.

Benefit. The 3-in-1 Facial Emulsion broke me out so bad. Some people love Benefit Eye Cream. Others say it burns. I'm afraid to try it or anything else from the brand after so many pimples. I had a reaction to the sunscreen in the Facial Emulsion.

Brands I tend to avoid for no particular reason are:

Cover Girl

Maybelline

MAC

Almay

NYC

Lancome

Clinique

Elizabeth Arden

Philosophy makeup (skin products are fine)

Cargo

Mary Kay

I agree gaudy or tacky packaging will make me avoid a product every time. 

Here are a few that I've come across that I just don't really care to try for one reason or another. I'm more into indie makeup, but these are the ones I'm specifically not interested in that I have come across, though I would try them as a sample, or whatever.

Lime Crime

Sugarpill

Detrivore (not sure I spelled that right)

Higher end brands in general (Lancome, YSL, etc)

JANE (the new release)

PUR Minerals

Make Up Forever

MAC

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJessicaMary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here are a few that I've come across that I just don't really care to try for one reason or another. I'm more into indie makeup, but these are the ones I'm specifically not interested in that I have come across, though I would try them as a sample, or whatever.

Lime Crime

Sugarpill

Detrivore (not sure I spelled that right)

Higher end brands in general (Lancome, YSL, etc)

JANE (the new release)

PUR Minerals

Make Up Forever

MAC
Second that on Jane! I loved the old Jane; once upon a time I wore it pretty much exclusively and I was really pissed when the entire line was pulled. Its relaunch strikes me as cheaper though, and both the color selection and variety of products in general are not as full and rich as Way Back When. I have one new lip gloss, and I'm pretty "meh" on it; it's not WOW enough to make me want to try the rest of the line.

I'm with you ladies on Clinique, Philosophy, Mary Kay, Avon, and ELF. Just really have never had the urge to try any of those products. 

I am particular about Benefit (I only like a few of their things: Gimme Brow, Some Kind-A-Gorgeous, Hoola Ultra Plush lip gloss) and same with Tarte (Amazonian Clay Waterproof Liner and Lights, Camera, Lashes). 

Have never tried MAC but have definitely been scared away from the bad reviews I have heard here and from my friends. Just overall terrible customer service. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Second that on Jane! I loved the old Jane; once upon a time I wore it pretty much exclusively and I was really pissed when the entire line was pulled. Its relaunch strikes me as cheaper though, and both the color selection and variety of products in general are not as full and rich as Way Back When. I have one new lip gloss, and I'm pretty "meh" on it; it's not WOW enough to make me want to try the rest of the line.
For me it's partly the price. It seems kind of price-y for what I think it is. I think it should be more on price point with Essence or Wet N Wild, but I think it's more expensive. I haven't tried any of it. Maybe if Ulta does a sale I might pick up something, but I'm trying to cut back on the chemicals and going more indie so it's not likely.

I used it a lot when I was younger too. There was a Walgreens right next to the dance studio I used to go to and when I had to buy makeup for the shows, I would just go there and mostly I bought Jane because they had the colors and such.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJessicaMary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  For me it's partly the price. It seems kind of price-y for what I think it is. I think it should be more on price point with Essence or Wet N Wild, but I think it's more expensive. I haven't tried any of it. Maybe if Ulta does a sale I might pick up something, but I'm trying to cut back on the chemicals and going more indie so it's not likely.

I used it a lot when I was younger too. There was a Walgreens right next to the dance studio I used to go to and when I had to buy makeup for the shows, I would just go there and mostly I bought Jane because they had the colors and such.
I meant to say cheaper in quality, sorry! Both in product and packaging. I didn't find it much more expensive than the less-expensive drugstore brands--maybe maybe about the same price point as Black Radiance (which despite coming from the same company that produces Wet N Wild, is a little more expensive, at least around where I live.) The one lip gloss I bought a few weeks ago, I find to have very little color payoff and has kind of a gross, oily feel to it. Only the pretty rose shade raises it from "feh!" to "meh," but on the lips it doesn't show well.

Benefit is super hit or miss with me. Porefessional is my HG primer, but that stay flawless primer is the worst thing I've used in my life. Love their boxed blushes, their eyeshadows are terrible.

As far as never tried, Clinique and Lancome. No idea why on Clinique, maybe it's the packaging? It just doesn't seem exciting to me. I have in my head that Lancome is just overpriced L'oreal makeup haha.

Tarte,

Benefit is super hit or miss with me. Porefessional is my HG primer, but that stay flawless primer is the worst thing I've used in my life. Love their boxed blushes, their eyeshadows are terrible. As far as never tried, Clinique and Lancome. No idea why on Clinique, maybe it's the packaging? It just doesn't seem exciting to me. I have in my head that Lancome is just overpriced L'oreal makeup haha.
Ha Ha! It's the opposite for me. Benefit flawless primer is my HG of primers; while I thought Porefessional was just horrible and did nothing for me. To answer the OP's question, I've never tried Tarte, Physicians Formula, Dior or Channel. Dior and Channel, just because of pure cost and my desire to buy more makeup for the same amount that it would cost for one item of theirs. Tarte and Physicians Formula never appealed to me. I tried Almay once, and the eye shadow lacked pigmentation. I rarely, tried anything from ELF that I liked but that doesn't seem to stop me from trying new things. Maybe because the cost is so cheap.

Back