Are there any brands that you aren't interested in?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeaniney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  After the Ipsy debacle, I have no interest in POP Beauty products at all. In general Ipsy sends out a lot of brands that I couldn't care less about -- Be a Bombshell, Mirabella, etc.

I also don't like Almay, Burt's Bees, and all the other silly brands that "greenwash" aka totally over-exaggerate how "natural" their products are. Such a manipulative marketing tactic that preys on the uninformed.

I so agree on the "greenwashing" of products! I don't like most Burt's Bees stuff that I've tried but their tinted lip balms are really the only lip product I use. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jayeme /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed! Although I do like the Almay Liquid Lip Balm. But I only bought it because I had a coupon that made it free.
Oh. my gosh, Jayeme! That's the exact same reason I bought it. Back in December or so when there was a RiteAid coupon for it. 
biggrin.gif
 They're not bad, but I wouldn't buy anymore. And generally, Almay doesn't interest me.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dashery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh. my gosh, Jayeme! That's the exact same reason I bought it. Back in December or so when there was a RiteAid coupon for it. 
biggrin.gif
 They're not bad, but I wouldn't buy anymore. And generally, Almay doesn't interest me.

Yeah, I also have 2 of their eye shadow trios and an eyeliner, and I don't like them very much. But I actually bought four of the liquid lip balm, I really like them! Apple A Day is the best in terms of pigmentation, but for the price I think they're all pretty good.

I can't do Clinique because I feel like it's made for my grandma. I also am not a huge fan of MAC (I do own some stuff from the line) just because they are very dupe-able and they don't switch things up enough to keep me interested. Drugstore wise, I'm not a fan of store brands or ulta brand stuff, and Milani has never appealed to me either.

I would never buy anything from The Kardashian beauty line...or anything with their name. With all their millions they never give back anything to charity.  None of their lines give even a nickle to charity.I  like brands that donate % back to charity.  I'm also  not supporting animal testing anymore. I started looking into this and can't believe how many brands animal test. I'll finish up what I have in those cosmetics. Going forward I won't buy from any brands that test on animals.

I have a few MSF from MAC but outside of that I just feel like the brand is highly over rated and I don't get the hype. I own absolutely nothing from Bobbi Brown and don't think that I ever will because their products never seem to wow me when I see/swatch them and frankly, I think the line is highly overpriced!

I have zero interest in First Aid Beauty and Soap & Glory because I really don't like the package design.

I do not like Tarte  ( because much of there cosmetics have soy and I am allergic)   Not interested in  Tom Ford , NYX  , Avon ,  Mary kay , starlooks , Laura Geller , Mally, Elizabeth arden , Clinique, Bobbi Brown  ( bland old lady ), Este lauder ( see this as a brand a old lady would wear) I have hated every philosophy item I have every tried.   I think that covers most of what I don't like,

i recommend giving estee lauder a try! i've loved everything i've tried from them - foundation, concealer, mascara primer, foundation primer, even their moisturizer! i'm 23, and yes, i used to think that EL is an 'old lady brand'....but their products are amazing!  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm in the minority here...I LOVE Avon.  My stash largely consists of their makeup, but to each there own.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have no interest in luxury brands such as Chanel, YSL, Tom Ford, etc. because they are way out of my price range. I'm quite content with my "expensive" makeup like Urban Decay.

Also not interested in obscure companies like Sugar Pill or companies that don't sell in US stores.

Here are the brands that don't interest me and I've either not tried, or tried and been unimpressed:

MAC (rude snobby service and products are no better than any other mid to high end brands)

Clinique (I think my disinterest started with the name -reminds me of a free clinic or something, not something to make me pretty)

Avon 

Mary Kay

Wet n Wild (I know everyone loves their shadows, but for me they are just sheer and powdery?)

Be a Bombshell

POP Beauty (this is more than disinterest, this is hatred)

Almost on the list:

Lancome is just okay...I won't spend the money on it, but I use it when it's given to me.

Starlooks - I really only care for the colored eyeliners and gem liners

Estee Lauder - I like the Sumptuous Extreme mascara but most of the line bores me

Chanel, Dior, all the lines that I see as primarily clothing designers...slapping your name on makeup that doesn't seem to be anything extraordinary doesn't mean you can charge a fortune for it.

MAC is my big one. I've just never had any sort of urge to buy it. I have perused their website out of curiosity and nothing really stood out to me!

Other brands I definitely find myself skipping over:

Bare Minerals

Estee Lauder

Elizabeth Arden

Wet n Wild (minus their liquid liners..obsessed)

Neutrogena

Almay

POP Beauty

Pixi

Be a Bombshell

Physician's Formula (just so overpriced)

Brands I avoid:

Tarte

Benefit

Limecrime

Sugar pill

Laura Geller

WEN

Philosophy

But as someone else stated earlier, I may not care for a brand for the most part, but there might be a couple of items that stand out for me, and I will just purchase those - like Clinique's Extreme Mascara and their black honey lip sheer.

but I don't find anything else by them that makes me want to purchase anything else.

I agree with the above comment that Estee Lauder seems like an "old lady" brand (perhaps it's the sound of the name?), but I've found their products to be really nice...high quality, nevermind the boring packaging. Also, Estee Lauder's Pleasures was one of my first "grown up" perfumes, and I still wear it 15 years later.

Mary Kay was a good honorable mention. It's not bad at all, but seems no better than something like Maybelline, at triple the price to pay their reps. No thanks.

I have never bought anything from Bare Minerals and I don't plan to start anytime soon.  Other brands I pass over at Sephora: Benefit, Sephora brand, Makeup Forever, Lancome, and Clinique (if I'm tempted by a Lancome or Clinique product I wait until the bonuses at the department store). At Ulta: Cargo, Laura Gellar...Actually pretty much all of the "prestige" makeup except Tarte, Stila, Urban Decay, and Anastasia.  At the drugstore: I only buy specific products that are highly recommended by multiple sources.  I've eliminated a lot of makeup waste by just not shopping at the drugstore anymore. 

Also, I've started keeping a drawer in my vanity for recent makeup purchases, and I only remove one product at a time.  If I don't reach for the product within a month of purchase, it goes back to the store.  I also keep all the packages and receipts in the drawer so everything is all together if I decide that a product doesn't live up to the hype.  Combining this with not buying drugstore has saved me a lot of money in the past few months!!

Quote:Originally Posted by Jeaniney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After the Ipsy debacle, I have no interest in POP Beauty products at all. In general Ipsy sends out a lot of brands that I couldn't care less about -- Be a Bombshell, Mirabella, etc.

I also don't like Almay, Burt's Bees, and all the other silly brands that "greenwash" aka totally over-exaggerate how "natural" their products are. Such a manipulative marketing tactic that preys on the uninformed.

I so agree on the "greenwashing" of products! I don't like most Burt's Bees stuff that I've tried but their tinted lip balms are really the only lip product I use. 
Hmm...Almay has been my HG liquid eyeliner for about 13 years, but I don't buy a single other product from the brand, nor did I think they were one that made a big deal about being "natural". I've never been drawn to lines that do the "greenwashing" thing, either. And aside from the lemon cuticle butter, I cannot stand Burt's Bees.

Hard Candy - Their packaging just looks like teeny bopper hype without good shade range, although their 4 day lash stain is pretty good even though it only lasts two days on me.

Clinique - maybe too many neutral pink lipsticks from my great aunt at Christmas and poorly pigmented brown/tan eyeshadows?

Lime Crime

Sugar Pill

And any brand that would charge $50+ for one product that I'd still have to apply myself.

And Wet n Wild, as much as I love their lipsticks (the ones from the Fergie line are my favorite lipsticks, ever!) They're eye shadows are terrible on me! So much fall out and uneven color.

Back