Be a Bombshell quality discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow! I haven't kept up with BB subscribers but over 500,000 now?! Wow.

So since I don't have exact numbers this is highly speculative. Let's say they have exactly 500,000 with 250,000 ($10 per month) for the women's subscription and 250,000 for the men's ($20 per month). Since we don't have the numbers on who pre-paid three, six or 12 months I'll base the numbers on the month-to-month subscribers only.

($10 x 250,000) + ($20 x 500,000) = $7,500,000 per month

$7,500,000 x 12 months = $90,000,000 per year from the subscriptions.

Wow! Granted it's highly speculative since we don't have exact numbers or know what the shop pulls in or what they charge companies to be in the Birchbox. So Birchbox can be making far less than that or way more than that. And that excludes their international subscriptions.

Wow. Is it any wonder why companies want to work with Birchbox or Ipsy? The potential for new clients is so high that it can make a company or break a company.

The bottom line is that cosmetics are very cheap to produce- the MUFE/ELF/BAB silica setting powder is a great example. I can buy a pound (450ish grams) of silica powder for $50- when BAB is selling it for $10 for 4 grams and ELF $6 for 8 grams, well...that's some expensive packaging. I'm sure a PLM buying in bulk is paying a lot less than that per pound. BAB/Hikari/PLM cosmetics are not losing tons of money giving Ipsy or other subscription services 100,000+ units of product because their costs are low. 

Being produced in China= low labor costs, (likely) less strict restrictions on production than it would be in the USA, closer to supply chains that produce inexpensive containers and packaging for the product, factories being able to produce massive quantities of product quickly, generally more efficient. That comes at a cost, of course, in terms of quality/ethics but for companies wanting to produce cheap cosmetics to sell at a high markup, China is where they'll get the best bag for their buck. 

I love me some NYX and it's probably a logical fallacy on my part that I believe that they have better standards than BAB in terms of production, but compared to other products manufactured in China, they seem to have fewer complaints in terms of product quality. Same with ELF, while they have some crappy products, I've never heard anyone complain that their cosmetics started smelling off after a while. 

No more bab! Please, ipsy.  

57068001.jpg

Whoops. per Fortune magazine, as of April, Birchbox had 800k subscribers.

One such company is Birchbox. The New York-based startup sells curated monthly boxes of beauty samples for $10 each, while offering full-sized versions of the products on its e-commerce site. In just 3.5 years, Birchbox has grown to 800,000 subscribers, which equates to $96 million in annual sales. Add to that the fact that 30% of the company’s revenue comes from sales of full-sized products, and Birchbox is making at least $125 million per year. (The company also makes money selling men’s boxes, but it hasn’t released subscriber numbers.) Birchbox has swelled to 250 employees and worked with 800 brands. All of that, with just $12 million in venture funding.
Source:  http://fortune.com/2014/04/21/exclusive-birchbox-banks-60-million/

I hate BaB and now I found out my 'mystery' topbox contains 1 BaB gloss and 1 BaB eyeshadow... I think I'll cry...  :unsure:

I remember getting that super bright red 'all in one' stick in a previous Ipsy bag. It was just awful... I never kept a product from them. Hopefully the gloss isn't too bad... 

I think the only way to get subscription companies to stop putting BaB in the boxes/bags is for someone to start a petition addressed to ALL subscription companies detailing the reasons WHY people do not to see any more BaB products. Maybe is 50,000 people step up then companies will realize to drop BaB as an advertiser.

I think the only way to get subscription companies to stop putting BaB in the boxes/bags is for someone to start a petition addressed to ALL subscription companies detailing the reasons WHY people do not to see any more BaB products. Maybe is 50,000 people step up then companies will realize to drop BaB as an advertiser.
Do other subscription companies allow you to review the product you get each month like birchbox does? Not that I think birchbox takes those in to account much but I think if everyone addressed serious QC issues about a product in a review like that they would at least notice.

Do other subscription companies allow you to review the product you get each month like birchbox does? Not that I think birchbox takes those in to account much but I think if everyone addressed serious QC issues about a product in a review like that they would at least notice.
Some do offer the ability to review - Glossybox, Beauty Bar, Ipsy - and some don't. But the review systems for all the companies really don't affect partnerships.

Some do offer the ability to review - Glossybox, Beauty Bar, Ipsy - and some don't. But the review systems for all the companies really don't affect partnerships.
That's basically what I assumed, and it just serves as "market research" essentially.

That's the annoying part. Serious Quality Control issues (POP, BaB, Befine) don't get addressed by subscription companies on a mass scale unless it leads to a huge PR shitstorm on facebook. And that's not okay. Though I do honestly feel like Birchbox and Befine handled their scandal far better than Ipsy and POP/BaB, IMHO.

This is my first month back with Topbox but there is the possibility of reviewing the products you receive. You can bet I'll let them know how I feel about BaB. It seems like you can't get a box without a BaB product showing up anymore...

To me, BaB should be around the same price point as City Color or BH Cosmetics.  Using City Color as a comparison, I have the BaB Bora Bora quad, which states on the package that there is 0.17 oz of product for $16.  I also have the City Color Collection 4 quad, which has a total of 0.12 oz of product for $5.  Both companies have a similar look to their packaging and both were launched in 2011.  City Color is the same, or a sister company, of Beauty Plus Global, a private label company.  However, that doesn't bother me, because they seem to be upfront about it, as it's on their contact page.

I've looked around to see if I could find a shadow quad on Sephora or Ulta for $16 or less, that wasn't a store branded product.  The only quad I could find was the Maybelline Eye Studio quads, which are going for $9.99 on Ulta and have 0.09 oz of product (doesn't say online, but I own several of them and looked).  Math isn't my strength, but the Eye Studio quads have a bit more than half the product of the BaB quad, so the price point would be fairly close to even.  Ulta also has several more palettes under $16, (Maybelline The Nudes for $9.99, Physician's Formula Shimmer Stripes Nudes for $11.99, and NYX Dream Catcher palette for $14.99), just to throw out some brands and numbers.

I do realize that I personally am getting over a bias against companies that I've never heard of or haven't seen in retail stores.  Doing subscription services and being active on MUT have helped me to explore brands that I never would have tried in the past, such as Bab and City Color, both of which I was initially introduced to by Ipsy.

The first BaB product I received was the Lip Crayon in Hot Damn.  The color was brighter than what I was used to, but worked well with my skintone, so I figured it would be a nice introduction to bright lip colors.  It applied fine, but had absolutely no lasting power.  It was priced at $14 and I wouldn't buy another at that price point, just based on the quality.  The next month, I received The One Stick in Girl Crush and that was an all around disaster for me.  The dusty Barbie pink/purple color looked terrible with my skintone and the product was gritty.  Part of the grittiness could have been because of the shimmer/glitter, but I suspect that it had more to do with the actual product not being mixed properly.  A million years ago, I used to make my own body products and the biggest problem I had initially was heating the ingredients to the proper temperature to get them to blend smoothly.  Too high and things would separate; too low and things would be gritty.  I realize that I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I think the same quality control issues would apply.

A couple of months later, I received a City Color blush in Fresh Melon.  It looked insanely bright in the pan, but blended fantastically, easily held up to my oily skin, and it ended up being one of my go-to blushes this summer.  I liked it so much that I placed a decent sized order and have been very happy with every product I've used.

I haven't ordered anything from BaB, because 2 of the 4 products I've tried were lackluster quality and that, along with their price point, turned me off to placing an order.  With City Color, I only received one product, but it was great quality and I figured that even if their shadows or lip products were half the quality of the blush, their prices were low enough that I was ok with getting some duds.

Before I started with sub boxes, I was strictly a drugstore makeup user; Cover Girl, Maybelline, Loreal, Revlon, Rimmel.  I've now expanded my horizons and enjoy brands like Urban Decay, Too Faced, Benefit, theBalm, Tarte, NYX, ELF, BH Cosmetics, and City Color.  If it wasn't for subs, I wouldn't have tried the other drugstore priced brands or realized that higher priced cosmetics could be worth their prices.

I realize this is a lengthy post, but this is the thought process I go through when I'm evaluating products I'm not familiar with that come in subscription boxes.  

This is such an interesting post. I have literally not heard anything bad about the Be a Bombshell mascara, which I had received in an ipsy bag. Since so many people have had an issue, you think they'd notify all their subscribers. I hated the formula so I've only used it once and it's made its way into the graveyard of my vanity, but after reading this I'm throwing it away. And sending ipsy a nasty email! So disappointed.

I am so over BAB products.  Their products have appeared in:  Wantable (blush*, one stick), Lip Factory (lip gloss*, eye shadow*, eye crayon*, one stick*, eyeliner pen), Ipsy (eye shadow, one stick*, lip crayon*, mascara), BB5 (eye crayon*), Luxe Box (eyeliner pen*, eye shadow in prive box*), and Top Box (eye shadow, lipstick in prive box) and those are just the beauty subs that ship to Canada.  

*denotes a product I received.

The products I received includes a varied assortment of products from the BAB brand proved to me without a question of a doubt that I have zero interest in the brand I will not purchase BAB products.  Ever.  

The single worst product I have received in a beauty box was intact the One Stick - it was the perfect storm of fail.  It is very seldom use a product once and toss it and this is what happened to my BAB One Stick.  I didn't get the BAB Mascara in my Ipsy bag and it feels like I dodged a bullet.  Honestly, I really hope I don't get any more BAB products in a beauty sub in the future - there are very few brands I dislike this strongly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very informative thread :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Yay, learning. All this talk of makeup production makes me want to make my own.

While I've definitely had my fill of BaB (I've gotten all but their lipstick, powder, mascara, and eye crayon in my ipsy bags) I have liked many of the products I've tried. I love their blushes (enough that I bought another, and it was combined with the promo code that included a free Raspberry Tart blush, so that now I have three), love the lip gloss, and found the eyeshadows to be incredibly pigmented. 

I also absolutely adore the Hikari lipstick. It is gorgeous.

I can't help but wonder... who actually buys the BAB cosmetics?!  
The only thing I can think of is maybe less makeup savvy sub customers...the ones who don't post in a place like this, and who might see the price tag and think they're getting a really good product? I know that we, on here, only represent a small percentage of Ipsy's  (and other subs') clientele and many are probably not experienced with makeup.

Maybe if you only received one product and it worked for you ???? I've received tons and didn't like one. 

Back