Best long wearing nail polishes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some Incoco but haven't really tried them yet.  The Sephora brand nail strips were amazing and disappointing at the same time.  Amazing because they have really cool prints and my ones that I first tried were leopard glitter and looked really cool but disappointing because my fingernails started chipping after about 5 days and toenails after about a week and a half, normally I get at more than that from nail strip pedis.  But still, 5 days of a fun print isn't too bad, I'm just spoiled by the Salon Effects.  I love that they have limited edition ones and come out with new patterns and glitter shades with color variations.
I tried the Sally Hansen, but they just didn't give me the quality look that I get from incoco. And they don't conform to the nail size either, but yeah I think that they lasted a while too. It would be nice if they had some standard shades and some nice french tips. I also spent a fortune on OPI and Brisa gels systems. Those are my second fav. But they peel off.

When you get around to trying your incoco, I found that buffing the ridges (per instructions) is best. I also love the way that they can be stretched to size. To take care of any over hang, I use one of those metal cuticle pushers (the square flat side). It makes a nice clean cut along the edges. Or, if your nail are sharp enough that will work too. For the tips, I just fold it over and rub and gently pull until it breaks free, cleanly. I can't seem to get a real nice cap using the file. And even though it doesn't require it, I use the seche vite fast dry top coat. Every since I started usng these, I haven't changed. I have even taken to buffing my nails while I am soaking in the tub, then I apply them while watching tv in bed. It's nice to not have to worry about spills.

Everyone that sees my nails can not believe that they were not done at the salon, and even though I say that they last for two weeks, there have been many time when I have gone for 3 weeks. I only had to replace them because of the new growth. So, I guess these are my "holy grail." lol Oh, FYI, don't expect to save the extras. Even though they provide that silver strip to save the leftovers, mine always are way to dry to use. So, one pack is pretty much just one mani. But you can always do a mani/pedi at the same time, to prevent some of the waste.

I love how quickly the Seche Vite top coat dries but I also only get about 4 days out of my polish before it chips enough that it has to be changed. That works okay for me because I change my polish about once a week anyway. I like the Orly top coat but it takes a lot longer to dry. 

For regular polishes, I like:

--Orly

--China Glaze

--OPI

I think the quality of their polishes is fairly consistent.

I like, but find quality inconsistent:

--Avon

--Zoya

--Essie

--Rimmel Lasting Finish Pro

With Essie, in particular, most of my pink colors by them chip way faster than their other colors. I can wear Chinchilly for a full week, but Sea Breeze, for example, is chipped after 3 days. 

I LOVE the Rimmel double-brush system but some of their colors chip quite quickly on me, while others last a week. I love their red or black shades, which last a week for me, but not their mauve/pink family, which seems to chip faster. They have a bluish-gray gunmetal-type color that I've been meaning to try. 

I didn't like Color Club at all. Not the application, not the durability. 

Currently waiting on my first Butter London bottles so that I can try them out. I hear good things.

I like color club, however, they are not good for what you're looking for- they chip right away. I use Deborah Lippmann ridge filler, which does help with longevity.

I don't think any nail polish brand lasts very long. From my experience, OPI, China Glaze, and Essie all seem to chip within a week's wear. If anything, invest in a base and top coat, not the nail polish brand.

If you would like to spend a little bit less on nail polish, China Glaze is the right choice and good also.

I don't notice difference between brands. If you use your hands a lot all polishes are going to chip. Glitter polishes wear longer I think. I use Seche Vite dry fast top coat and with that you get longer wear from any polish, even those little Sally Girl colors at Sally's. I love Finger Paints because there are so many colors and I like Sinful Colors because they have so many kinds and colors and are cheap!  I think polish lasts as long as the top coat you use.

The best polish brands for me are the following:

Toes - it doesn't really matter, but Zoya will last for about 3 months WITHOUT chipping!

Fingers - Zoya will last for about 10 days without chipping and that's after I've washed my hands a thousand times per day.  (And this is without re-applying a topcoat to extend wear). My new favorite is Ciate.  It dries super fast and it really grips the nail.  I'm very impressed with this brand.

OPI, Venique, China Glaze, and Essie, all last about the same...3 - 5 days before I notice chipping.

My favorite, favorite base coat is CND Stickey.  I used to only be able to get nail polish to last for about 24 hours, but now I only do my nails about every four days or so.  Sometimes at four days, I just retouch the tips, and put on another layer of topcoat and let it got for a few more days.   I use CND as a basecoat, and then I like OPI, Ciate, Deborah Lippman and Priti NYC.  I use Poshe as a topcoat and love it too. 

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure is by far the best! Great colors and affordable price!

Wow, I'm shocked that people get two weeks out of nail polish. (I have natural nails.) I consider it a success if I last two days without chipping. I'm not that hard on them except for all the typing I do, so no clue. If it doesn't chip, it peels. Maybe I'm acidic or something? Haha

I use OPI for everything. Colorclub is pretty cheap - in quality and price - so steer clear, imho.

I had really good luck with Zoya and it lasted longer than OPI, to my shock. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For a base coat, I tried the Seche Vite and it caused bubbles for me every time. Maybe I got a bad bottle. I try to use a nail strengthening base coat.

For polishes, my favorite is Orly, followed closely by China Glaze, OPI, and Essie. With the last 3, I've experienced faster chipping in some of their shades. I can't wear Essie's pinks without significant chips in 48 hours, for example. Same with some of the China Glaze reds. I've used Julep, Zoya, and Rimmel and their formulations are hit and miss, as well--sometimes too thick, sometimes too thin, sometimes chip too easily. I put up with the problems in Rimmel because I love their double-application brush. Revlon is pretty good, as well, and I have a few L'Oreal polishes I like. I only pick these up on sale, though. I really do prefer the Orly. I am very eager to try the new colored polishes by Seche Vite but haven't seen them anywhere yet.

For a top coat, I like Seche Vite because it dries so fast but after a few days, it looks dry and ugly around my cuticles. I've found similar quality with fast drying from HK Girl, something a nail blogger recommended. It doesn't flake up like the Seche Vite does to me. It's available online at glistenandglow.com. (I'm not affiliated with their site in any way; I just like their product.) I have the Seche Vite UV topcoat and hate it. Yes, it dries quickly BUT it flakes up completely after 3 days or so.

Originally Posted by guenivere /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, I'm shocked that people get two weeks out of nail polish. (I have natural nails.) I consider it a success if I last two days without chipping. I'm not that hard on them except for all the typing I do, so no clue. If it doesn't chip, it peels. Maybe I'm acidic or something? Haha

I use OPI for everything. Colorclub is pretty cheap - in quality and price - so steer clear, imho.

I had really good luck with Zoya and it lasted longer than OPI, to my shock. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
 I have one ColorClub and it stinks. Poor application and it chips super fast. Gifted it to some teen girls I know and will not buy more from them.

I am having the same problem, my nail polish chips a day or so after I apply it. I have been using all Avon products. Perhaps the products are cheap???? Which brands do you recommend that aren't super expensive? Am I right in thinking that nail lacquer is better than polish?

Originally Posted by Superleerin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having the same problem, my nail polish chips a day or so after I apply it. I have been using all Avon products. Perhaps the products are cheap???? Which brands do you recommend that aren't super expensive? Am I right in thinking that nail lacquer is better than polish?
I haven't used any Avon nail polish but my sis-in-law takes her own polish to the salon and the manicurist told her to never bring Avon. I believe that nail lacquer and polish are the same thing. 

Sinful Colors polish is cheap $1.99 and sometimes Walgreens has a sale with it 99 cents. I like it because there are so many colors and types..like creams, glitters, etc. I am hooked on Wet and Wild Megalast. It is $1.99 too and it has a big brush that is great..2 swipes over the nail, one over the pinky, and you're done! I had a bottle put away for a while that I got on sale for 69 cents at Walgreens. I used it Sunday and tonight is Tuesday and no chips yet. I didn't put my Seche Vite top coat on just to see how long it would last without it.

Use a good basecoat, couple of coats of polish and always use a top coat, a good one. I think you can get by with cheaper polish if you use a good top coat. I like Seche Vite because you put it on while your polish is wet and it dries it through all layers very quickly.I like ridge fillers for basecoat because they make your nails so smooth. I used to buy OPI and China Glaze polishes and Finger Paints, but now I am retired and don't have as much money. I can build a collection of so many different colors with the brands I mentioned above and as long as I use a base and topcoat, I'm good to go! I just can't see spending 8 to 12 $ on a bottle of nail polish that may or may not work. One cheap brand to not try is Jordana. I got some at Kmart and even with my topcoat, it chipped off really bad quick! Sally's has specials every month and they have buy 2 and get one free. That makes it better. I do like China Glaze because of the hardener in it. I always wipe my nails down with alcohol before I start with my mani.

I recently ordered a nail polish from Makeup Academy (MUA) in Pistachio Ice Cream. I applied it on Monday and it lasted me all the way til Sunday. It still didn't chip on Sunday, I just wanted to change my nails so I removed the polish. But from my experience that's a new record! I do dishes, cook, laundry, arts and crafts, and really there was no chip at all. That was really amazing. Order online and I think it's worth it if they have free shipping promo going on.

I recently ordered a nail polish from Makeup Academy (MUA) in Pistachio Ice Cream. I applied it on Monday and it lasted me all the way til Sunday. It still didn't chip on Sunday, I just wanted to change my nails so I removed the polish. But from my experience that's a new record! I do dishes, cook, laundry, arts and crafts, and really there was no chip at all. That was really amazing. Order online and I think it's worth it if they have free shipping promo going on.

Use a nail strengthener underneath for better results and a chip free top coat sometimes you can get both in a set especially with holiday sales :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back