Best long wearing nail polishes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My manicures last for 7 -10 days (including my Color Club polishes). On day 4 - 5, I apply one more coat of Seche Vite. Just to make it look more fresh.

If I get bored of the color I`m wearing, I will of course change it before.

I just started using Wet and Wild Megalast and I love it. It is so easy to put on with the big brush and it wears really great and has a super shine for only $1.99 !!!! And they have lots of colors. I wore it without a topcoat just to see how long it would go.But I just have to use my Seche Vita to dry and give extra strength to my nails.

my hands down fav is China Glaze but the wear you get from ur nail polish is also based on what you do to ur nails before applying ur polish I do mini manis on myself once a week before I apply polish I buff my nails so the surface isnt as smooth and then go over them with acetone to make sure there is no oil on my nails which can cause faster peeling then I use either China Glazes base coat or orlys Bonder they are the best base coats ever created and my top coat of choice is Seche... my polish usually last about 4 to 5 days with no chips just remember to get the tips of ur nails I've noticed when I remember to do it my polish last the full week with one or two small chips

I think it varies depending on personal body chemistry. I have very few OPIs because they chip like mad on me, even with BC and TC. China Glaze lasts longer, but the ones that wear the longest on me are Zoya, (which an awful lot of people complain about), and Diamond Cosmetics (also sold at much higher prices as Ginger and Liz, and Priti nail polishes). Fortunately, I have the time to change polish nearly every night if I like and almost never go more than two days. So I can wear pretty much anything.

I'm currently using the Essie all in one base coat in combination with Essie's Leading Lady (2 coats) and 2 coats of China glaze's no chip topcoat. It's been on a week and they are still perfect!

I honestly have found that really good nail prep is what makes my mani last.  I usually don't go more than 3 or 4 days before removing it, but during that time if it chips its usually something I did.  I noticed too with the Seche Vite clear base coat that my nail polish would not last as long.  I really want to try CND sticky but can't find any stores around me that sells them.

When it comes to specific brands, its really just hit and miss.  About a year ago I never polished my nails because I just thought all nail polish sucked and it would chip on the first day.  I honestly didn't think a base and top coat would make that big of a difference!

Originally Posted by Xylena88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I honestly have found that really good nail prep is what makes my mani last.  I usually don't go more than 3 or 4 days before removing it, but during that time if it chips its usually something I did.  I noticed too with the Seche Vite clear base coat that my nail polish would not last as long.  I really want to try CND sticky but can't find any stores around me that sells them.

When it comes to specific brands, its really just hit and miss.  About a year ago I never polished my nails because I just thought all nail polish sucked and it would chip on the first day.  I honestly didn't think a base and top coat would make that big of a difference!
I agree on the Seche Vite base coat. Mine was free with purchase of the top coat (which I love). It was awful, yes, it made my polish peel right off. And that was when I was using China Glaze and Orly!  I have a history of peeling nails so I started using Nail Tek Foundation II for a base coat earlier this year.. No peelies on the nails anymore but I am still using it because it is also a ridge filler and gives added strength.

I also buff my nails before polishing, but not to rough them up...oh no. I do it to make them nice and smooth. Then I wipe off with alcohol. Then base coat, 2 coats of polish and seche vite fast dry top coat. Your nails need to be buffed smooth and slick to hold onto the polish. Think about how long polish lasts on acrylic nails! It's because they are so smooth

As I said earlier on here, I'm lovin'  the Wet and Wild Mega Last.polish. The big flat brush makes a mani so fast and easy. It has good wear too. 

OPI, Essie, Zoya and Sinful colors last pretty long when I use a top coat and put on gloves to wash dishes. 

Wow, I'm surprised at how many of you dislike Color Club! I got a bunch of them for cheap last week, and I really really like them!! Using it with the OPI Ridge Filler Base Coat and Seche Vite top coat, I got about 4 full days before I had ANY chips, and when the chips came, they were just about 1mm on the very tips of my nails!!

Wow, I'm surprised at how many of you dislike Color Club! I got a bunch of them for cheap last week, and I really really like them!! Using it with the OPI Ridge Filler Base Coat and Seche Vite top coat, I got about 4 full days before I had ANY chips, and when the chips came, they were just about 1mm on the very tips of my nails!!
A lot of the ladies have commented that it chipped within the first day of application. I find that regardless of whatever polish I use, it can chip on the first day. But with my job, I'm constantly washing my hands and sanitizing, so it's to be expected. Although, I do like Color Club, myself. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A lot of the ladies have commented that it chipped within the first day of application. I find that regardless of whatever polish I use, it can chip on the first day. But with my job, I'm constantly washing my hands and sanitizing, so it's to be expected. Although, I do like Color Club, myself.
smile.gif
I know...but I was saying that I didn't get ANY chips for about 4 days.

I too am constantly washing and sanitizing my hands (OCD), and even with all of that, my nails looked pretty much perfect for 3-4 days.

Like I said though, I did use a good base and top coat (OPI base coat, Seche Vite top coat), so I'm sure this had an effect on the longevity of my manicure.

I think part of it is body chemistry, too. But regardless of what polish I've used, it doesn't last long after a shift at work lol.

I must be spechul.  I never have chipping or bubbling.  Ever.  Not lying.  It can be a $25 Chanel or a 99 cent Wet n Wild and they all work the same for me.  I use Seche Clear base coat and Seche Vite top coat always and my polish collection has all kinds of brands, both cheap and expensive.

I buy for colour.  I don't care what the brand is.   I always do some kind of nail art...dots, stamps, decals...what have you.  I can go about 2-21/2 weeks between manicures if I want.  What usually will happen is the polish on the free edge will wear off and it just doesn't look so nice anymore.  I usually do my nails once a week on Sunday nights...unless I get a new polish I just can't wait to try.  
biggrin.gif

My sister is always crabbing at me because she has tons of problems with chipping and bubbling.  I don't know why I have no trouble.  I wish I did, I'd totally sell my secret and make a gazillion dollars!

You and me both.  I adore the brush.  I'm wearing I need a refresh-mint right now and it's really nice.   My favourite of the colours is Undercover.  It's an awesome neutral pink.

I wish all polishes had brushes like this.

Originally Posted by Marj B /img/forum/go_quote.gif

II am hooked on Wet and Wild Megalast. It is $1.99 too and it has a big brush that is great..2 swipes over the nail, one over the pinky, and you're done!

Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You and me both.  I adore the brush.  I'm wearing I need a refresh-mint right now and it's really nice.   My favourite of the colours is Undercover.  It's an awesome neutral pink.

I wish all polishes had brushes like this.
Love both of them. I have Undercover on my toes and I love the look! I'm hoping for some new colors soon!

Oddly enough... I found that the Sephora X polishes are fairly tough.   I've rushed out without a top coat on occasion (as in I paint my nails at the last second then flap them in the passenger seat).   

Otherwise, I agree that it's all about the top coat and for me - it's either Seche Vite or OPI Matte top coat to keep my nails chip free.  I'm one of those: "What me wear gloves to garden?" types, and with the exception of a few Julep colors my nails are chip free until I remove the polish... sometimes after a few days and others a week and a half.  

D

I have found that when I use a base coat the polish lasts longer. I have tried zoya and it chips immediately no matter what color I use. I Purchased a high end tom for polish that was the worst I ever used as far as coverage and chipping.  I got about 6 bottles of the new marc Jacobs polish.  I have had one that is almost black on all week and it has not chipped. which is hard for dark colors not to do sometimes.  The  brand bondi does not chip either. I have worn some of there polish for up to 2 weeks no sign of chipping. So there are my 2 favorites.

Quote: Originally Posted by FrostKitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oddly enough... I found that the Sephora X polishes are fairly tough.   I've rushed out without a top coat on occasion (as in I paint my nails at the last second then flap them in the passenger seat).  

Otherwise, I agree that it's all about the top coat and for me - it's either Seche Vite or OPI Matte top coat to keep my nails chip free.  I'm one of those: "What me wear gloves to garden?" types, and with the exception of a few Julep colors my nails are chip free until I remove the polish... sometimes after a few days and others a week and a half.

D
 I have a bight blue Sephora polish I love never chips too

marc Jacobs polish last the longest. Second is this new brand called bondi.  If you put a good base coat under your polish I find that they last longer

Back