Best makeup brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

Just wanted to contribute with my top makeup brushes
I love handmade brushes made in Kumano, Japan.

Hakuhodo,
Suqqu,
Chikuhodo,
Sigma (only the kabuki synthetic ones),
and some brushes from the art store.

Cheers!

I used to think that MAC and Urban Decay were a must, but now I'm more open minded and love Real Techniques, and I can't live without a beauty blender!

Brushes for combing eyebrows, applying primer etc, really needn't be expensive. I just buy the cheapest on offer. In my opinion you don't need a £15 brush to comb your eyebrows!

I have three sets or brushes; personal, travel and freelance makeup kit

I have a wide variety of different brands...

These are just ones I have in my personal set

MAC - 217, 224

Sephora - Pro Shader #14

Sonia Kashuk - Large stippling brush, Small fan brush, Powder brush, Blush brush, Foundation brush (2), Angled foundation brush, Small angled eyeliner brush, Crease brush, Blending brush, Shader brush, Pencil brush, Smudge brush, Large shader brush, Lash comb (2), Spoolie brush (2)

Real Techniques - Setting brush, Stippling brush, Powder brush, Blush brush, Deluxe crease brush, Small eyeliner brush

Clinique - Face brush, small angled brush

Ulta - Sculpted foundation brush

Soho - Crease Brush

ELF - Complexion brush, Powder brush (3), Small tappered brush, Small stippling brush, Crease brush (3), Blending brush (3), 

Brushes from palettes - Smashbox Full Exposure, Urban Decay Naked 2, Naked 3, and Vice 3, Anastasia Beverly Hills Tamanna 

I'm probably missing a whole bunch more of my brushes, but I'm naming most off the top of my head.

Go for ELF at Target. Also at Target are SK or Sonia Kaskuk cosmetics and she has an impressive line of brushes at a very reasonable price.

I use Artistry brushes they are great! I personally find them high quality. I buy them from amway.ca/enso but i guess everyone likes different things so we will probably get a load of answers! 

Kat

I love brushes, but I tend to use and love a lot of the cheaper ones because I can somehow justify spending 20$ on every other product I own, with the exception of lippies and brushes. My favorite brushes include:

Elf:

Small Stipple Brush- powder blush, works best for smooth but concentrated application over a small area

I was really impressed with their Kabuki, too. I've been using a Larenim one (26.19$) for years, which is a real hair one. You can tell Elf's is synthetic, but since it is just for all over powder, it matters very little. 

I also find myself reaching for their essential eye shadow brush (not typically a fan of the essential line) though I don't think it has much to do with the quality of the brush. 

Real Techniques:

Real Techniques Blush Brush- Powder blush as well, I got this one very recently, but it is good for blended application over a large area of the face. 

Real Techniques Silicone Liner Brush- If you are into gel liner, you need this in your life. 

BH Cosmetics:

BH Cosmetics Angled Contouring Face Brush (Sculpt and Blend line): This is a really soft impressive quality brush. It is the best for blending out cream blushes and applying cream to powder blushes. 

The rest of the Sculpt and Blend line is fabulous too, really high quality. The Tapered Face Brush is my favorite for applying my bronzer. 

mostly all the makeup brushes i have are from e.l.f.

they work very well. the one i dont like is the white face brush

i know they have black brushes. but i havent tried them yet

Last edited by a moderator:
What is everyone's favorite makeup brushes that are reasonably priced? Has anyone found any that are comparable to MAC? If so, which ones (#'s and brands?) Also, are there various brands that you use different brushes from?

I have several brushes-- Revlon Professional (found these at Sally's), Philosophy, Body Shop and EDM sent me some free brushes with my order. I also have some cheap ELF brushes and brushes I got from bath and Body Works years ago.

Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated!

Warmly,

Brandi

aka beaglette
My Real Techniques face brushes are my favorites for foundation and buffing, and the blush and contour brushes are my favorites for highlighter and blush. I use these literally every day.

My eye brushes these days are a mix of Real Techniques, ELF (they really aren't bad for eye brushes...they don't last that long but they are so cheap), and a couple of Starlooks, and a couple of Crown. They are all good (minus the ELF, which are just functional) and honestly see no need to pay more for brushes anymore. 

I also like Sonia Kashuk and Ecotools. I think, these days, there are quite a few really nice affordable options and there's really no need to spend a lot of money on brushes unless you are a pro MUA, or you really want to!

I have like literally the whole real techniques collection and love them, they are great value for money, the metallic range that just came out looks so good! Also, my all time favourite blush brush is from Topshop, who would have thought ey?!

Hey Brandi,

I feel like I've tried every make-up brush on the market! There are definitely some out there better than MAC's. 

If you're trying to save money I'd select a brush by Jane Iredale. However, if you're willing to spend a bit more I'd definitely recommend anything by NARS. 

Here is a link to my two favorites. Enjoy! 

https://www.fragrancesandcosmetics.com.au/make-up/nars/accessories/eye-shader-brush/130685/eye-shader-brush-3

https://www.fragrancesandcosmetics.com.au/make-up/jane-iredale/accessories/eye-shader-brush/99400/eye-shader-brush

Real techniques BUT...... makeup academy which is based in England I think they have amazing good quality cheap brushes!! Especially E3 which is for blending purposes! It mixes the eye shadow successfully.

other than that sephora brushes... great eye brushes.

Currently loving the revamped Up & Up brushes from Target. They are inexpensive and the brushes are ultra soft! Their buffing brush that looks like that of the RealTechniques is a tad bit softer, in my opinion. Y’all should try them! x

oh not to forget even Elf brushes, MUA and Makeup revolution have some fantastic inexpensive brushes!!

sabz x

Back