Birchbox December 2014 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a reply as well. It bugs me that this is what passes for journalism these days. I am surprised there were none of those stupid moving gifs or whatever they are called.  No one bothers to do research. They just spout opinions and expect everyone to agree. And bashing makeup is pretty popular these days. 

Every time there is an article on yahoo shine about eyeliner tips or nail art trends, at least 100 men have to mansplain beauty to everyone. They say things like all a woman needs to make her beautiful is a kind heart and a big smile.  :sick:   Then they go on to accuse all the women who "waste" their money on these products of being fake or slaves to corporations. It also seems like I cannot go a day without a makeup free celebrity selfie popping up along with an article about how one woman gave up wearing makeup and it changed her life for the better. 

I am also done with apologizing for my lifelong obsession with makeup, as though it is just a sign that I am vain, vapid or boy crazy. 

I added a reply as well. It bugs me that this is what passes for journalism these days. I am surprised there were none of those stupid moving gifs or whatever they are called.  No one bothers to do research. They just spout opinions and expect everyone to agree. And bashing makeup is pretty popular these days. 

Every time there is an article on yahoo shine about eyeliner tips or nail art trends, at least 100 men have to mansplain beauty to everyone. They say things like all a woman needs to make her beautiful is a kind heart and a big smile.  :sick:   Then they go on to accuse all the women who "waste" their money on these products of being fake or slaves to corporations. It also seems like I cannot go a day without a makeup free celebrity selfie popping up along with an article about how one woman gave up wearing makeup and it changed her life for the better. 

I am also done with apologizing for my lifelong obsession with makeup, as though it is just a sign that I am vain, vapid or boy crazy.
omg girl. it's funny you say that because this is a thing that actually happened two months ago--

MvbZ459.jpg

LOL. Clearly I am angry enough to save these things for posterity so I can b*tch some more about them in the future (actually I posted it to my fb where I complained about it some more). But it was on a SlickDeals thread about a really great deal for 6 Eyeko eyeliner minis for like $19 and it's like... good for you. Don't buy if it you don't need it, but no one asked for your opinion, ugh.

Honestly, I have zero respect for women who put down other women just because they like makeup. Like, makeup isn't for every woman, which is fine, but it's not your place to dictate what women who like makeup are.

Actually, NPR (which broadcasts Marketplace even though they're produced separately) also had this really great interview with the new editor of Cosmo, who used to be a full-time reporter as well.

“I think that women’s lives are multi-led. I have no problem understanding that women are interested in mascara and the Middle East. Men are allowed to talk about sports relentlessly and yet we still take them seriously. I don’t understand why women can’t talk about fashion, or sex, or love, or wanting more money, and not be taken as seriously as men.”

This basically sums it up. (Though I also talk incessantly about my favourite sports team... XD; But it's particularly on point about the sports piece. Ugh.)

okay this is getting derailed from Birchbox, sorry. LOL. I mean i have a lot of problems with the way sometimes subscription boxes conduct themselves, regardless of they are run by women or men, but like, shooting down the entire concept without actually investigating it is shallow. The reporter clearly did the piece to plug her new book which is equally shallow. whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. Clearly I am angry enough to save these things for posterity so I can b*tch some more about them in the future (actually I posted it to my fb where I complained about it some more). But it was on a SlickDeals thread about a really great deal for 6 Eyeko eyeliner minis for like $19 and it's like... good for you. Don't buy if it you don't need it, but no one asked for your opinion, ugh.

Omg, speaking of which -- the deals back. And it's $14 this time: http://www.itechdeals.com/eyeko-skinny-black-liquid-liner.html

I'm grabbing these. I love these. It's only $13.98 with code EYEKO2+free ship. These will be excellent stocking stuffers for friends.

Ooh that reply from that guy is infuriating. Not only does it reek of paternalism (I know what is best for you misguided ladies), but it finds yet another way to pit women against each other (makeup wearing vs. not makeup wearing). AND it assumes that women are so weak willed as to be completely brainwashed. A lot of guys think that they're helping with these kinds of "insights", but it's like, the decisions I make are (shockingly!) not all about you.

I don't wear makeup for men. I wear makeup for myself.

Omg, speaking of which -- the deals back. And it's $14 this time: http://www.itechdeal...quid-liner.html I'm grabbing these. I love these. It's only $13.98 with code EYEKO2+free ship. These will be excellent stocking stuffers for friends.
I have never used these before.  But I bought them.  I need black eyeliner, I strongly prefer liquid, they come strongly recommended from other MUT members, and paying with PayPal means I don't have to worry about anything going wrong.

(I know I complain about black eyeliner on other threads.  But it's pencils I'm complaining about.  I don't like pencils.  My eyelids are too oily for anything but liquid.)

Ooh that reply from that guy is infuriating. Not only does it reek of paternalism (I know what is best for you misguided ladies), but it finds yet another way to pit women against each other (makeup wearing vs. not makeup wearing). AND it assumes that women are so weak willed as to be completely brainwashed. A lot of guys think that they're helping with these kinds of "insights", but it's like, the decisions I make are (shockingly!) not all about you.

I don't wear makeup for men. I wear makeup for myself.
Right?? One of my biggest pet peeves. I wear makeup because I like makeup. I like that with just a few colors I can change my appearance to suit my mood that day. I like that it is another way to express my personal style, or to liven me up when I'm feeling blah. If others like what I do with my look on any given day, great! If they don't, I didn't ask!

And sure, there are some women who feel so constantly criticized and scrutinized that they feel that presenting themselves a certain way (be that with makeup, without, types of clothes, whatever) is necessary, and do you know why that is? BECAUSE OF SHIT LIKE THIS, because people think it is their place to constantly tell women how they should look, how they should dress, how they present themselves...and then in the same breath, criticize those women for feeling insecure. SO OVER IT>

Totally agree.  A family friend told me, "You don't really need makeup, you're pretty as you are." I pointed out that I was wearing makeup, and that I do it because I like doing it, not because I feel like I have to do so.

As far as the journalism thing: bloggers often make the mistake of confusing op-ed with hard journalism. What most of them write is op-ed -- 'opinion editorials.' Her piece was definitely op-ed. It had no hard figures, and offered her own opinion instead of reporting facts. 

Alas, that's very common today, as you pointed out.

I have never used these before. But I bought them. I need black eyeliner, I strongly prefer liquid, they come strongly recommended from other MUT members, and paying with PayPal means I don't have to worry about anything going wrong.

(I know I complain about black eyeliner on other threads. But it's pencils I'm complaining about. I don't like pencils. My eyelids are too oily for anything but liquid.)
I have a couple eyeko liquid liners. They are really great! And when the tip shows wear you can just pull it out and flip it around with tweezers for a brand new tip! My biggest complaint is that they didn't seem to last that long, BUT at that great price it is totally worth it!

I have a couple eyeko liquid liners. They are really great! And when the tip shows wear you can just pull it out and flip it around with tweezers for a brand new tip! My biggest complaint is that they didn't seem to last that long, BUT at that great price it is totally worth it!
You know, I've heard a lot of people say this about Eyeko eyeliners, including a good friend who I recommended it to and bought it at Sephora. But I have the colored ones from like two years ago (because...they phased those out, remember) and they'lre still fine. Obviously, a lot of people can't be lying, but I'm just wondering if there's some weird quality control issue. I've almost never heard anyone who's gotten them from Birchbox (where I buy them) have these issues, but a lot of people who buy them from Sephora say this.

You know, I've heard a lot of people say this about Eyeko eyeliners, including a good friend who I recommended it to and bought it at Sephora. But I have the colored ones from like two years ago (because...they phased those out, remember) and they'lre still fine. Obviously, a lot of people can't be lying, but I'm just wondering if there's some weird quality control issue. I've almost never heard anyone who's gotten them from Birchbox (where I buy them) have these issues, but a lot of people who buy them from Sephora say this.
I have one (the teal color) that is like 2 years old and still going strong, but my olive one didn't last too long at all (the tip got weird and dry, even when I flipped it). So strange.

The funny thing is, these idiot men may say things like "oh, you don't need makeup, you're just fine how you are"  but wearing makeup might actually put you at an advantage in the workplace, so beyond being paternalistic and sexist, they're also giving you terrible advice.  It's like saying "oh, you men don't need to wear ties, you look just as good without them."  That may be true, but it's certainly more professional to wear the tie.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/fashion/makeup-makes-women-appear-more-competent-study.html?_r=0

This is why I love this place. You guys GET it. I don't wear makeup to impress men. I don't wear it to impress other women or feel better than them. I don't wear makeup because I'm insecure and feel like I need it. I do it because it's FUN. It's relaxing to put it on, picking out colors is fun, I love to see what different combinations look like, and I love to see myself getting better in a certain area of application.

Like that's real cute that men think our life goal is to impress them and attract them....try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another beauty standard I can't stand is people recommending that I straighten my hair for interviews.  I had a hard time finding a job with my natural hair at one point, but I would rather work for an employer that accepts me for my hair.  

I don't understand what's the big deal about my curls or natural hair; it's not like they're going to come out of my head, go across the room and attack you, lol. Perms and weaves got old to me after a point, but I don't knock anyone that uses them. 

I have one (the teal color) that is like 2 years old and still going strong, but my olive one didn't last too long at all (the tip got weird and dry, even when I flipped it). So strange.
I had that olive one, I loved the color and formula. But it just didn't last long enough. I guess that's why they discontinued them?

Aahh. I want to buy the Eyeko deal but I still have 3 from the last set of six I bought. I'm afraid this might not be the best item to stock up on given drying out and all. Buuuut EYEKO is my hands down all around forever and ever HG -- if anyone else is thinking of giving it a try, go for it! These minis have been just as juicy as the real deal.

Another beauty standard I can't stand is people recommending that I straighten my hair for interviews.  I had a hard time finding a job with my natural hair at one point, but I would rather work for an employer that accepts me for my hair.  

I don't understand what's the big deal about my curls or natural hair; it's not like they're going to come out of my head, go across the room and attack you, lol. Perms and weaves got old to me after a point, but I don't knock anyone that uses them. 
That's crazy!  I would be much more concerned about someone's resume than their hairstyle.  It's not the hair that's going to be getting the job done.  

Ugh, just GO AWAY, reporter.  I like makeup.  Period.  I have since I was very, very small and had no concept of beauty standards.  I would play with my grandmother's eyeshadow and nail polish that I'm pretty sure she kept around solely for me.  It has nothing to do with societal expectations of beauty.  It has to do with the fact that I like color, period.  If I cared about beauty expectations, I would learn how to contour, use concealer, and style my hair.  I go full-blast at eyeshadow and eyeliner, and I do like blush because I use a bb cream that covers all of my redness, and I am naturally very rosy-cheeked, so blush just returns my natural color (I use the bb cream in part because it turns out that I get fewer zits -- like pretty much zero -- when I use that particular bb cream).  My hair usually gets thrown into some kind of very haphazard bun/roll/knot to get it out of my way.  I like how my eyes look when I slather on the shadow and liner.  Period.  And I'm a middle-aged fat woman, so I'm invisible to the world, which means I get zero compliments on my makeup, so it's not about how other people view me, and I do this even when I'm at home alone cleaning, so it truly is all about what *I* like.

Also:  I look a whole lot like many other people.  I know this because I am constantly told I look EXACTLY LIKE someone's roommate/brother's girlfriend/former bar patron/coworker/etc. -- and that pretty much stops when I wear eyeliner.  No clue why.

Latest posts

Back