Birchbox February 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by inlustro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly a lot of moisturizers I get straight from Sephora are about that full, maybe just slightly more.  I think most of the open-from-the-bottom type tubes of product like that are less-than-full.
If I saw this for sale, there is no way I'd purchase a less-than-half-filled product. 

If these had seals and were half full, would you still complain? I'm just wondering. I hope that doesn't sound rude-wasn't sure how to word it.

Originally Posted by Jamie P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If these had seals and were half full, would you still complain? I'm just wondering. I hope that doesn't sound rude-wasn't sure how to word it.
I wouldn't because that would mean I can actually sell them on ebay and not have my customers wonder whether or not they just got a half-used product.

Originally Posted by Jamie P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would only complain if I also had a similarly sized item that was much more full.  For example, If I had 2 tubes of product, both of them marked 0.7 oz, and one was full, and the other was only 1/3 to 1/2 full, I would complain, whether it was sealed or not.  

A seal, to me, would only indicate that the item had not been previously used.  It wouldn't indicate that I actually had the correct amount of product.  

I would only complain if I also had a similarly sized item that was much more full.  For example, If I had 2 tubes of product, both of them marked 0.7 oz, and one was full, and the other was only 1/3 to 1/2 full, I would complain, whether it was sealed or not.   A seal, to me, would only indicate that the item had not been previously used.  It wouldn't indicate that I actually had the correct amount of product.  
That makes complete sense. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by TXSlainte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I saw this for sale, there is no way I'd purchase a less-than-half-filled product. 
It quite wasn't as empty as the one pictured, it would have been to about the bottom of the word "Brighten" so maybe just over the 1/2way mark?  And I didn't realize until I got home and started using it.  But I buy the "it's supposed to be filled with some air" explanation, for these flip-cap-on-the-bottom types particularly, just maybe not thaaaat much.

Actually, I'm looking at the pic above more closely now that I'm at home, and what I thought before was just the continuation of the tube is looking more like where the tube stops/cap begins so that means there's less product than I initially thought. That probably pushes it over the acceptable tipping point and so I agree, I wouldn't purchase something like that. With the one I got from Sephora, I rationalized that with the top seamed, it's halfway filled by height but probably much more by volume.  

It quite wasn't  as empty as the one pictured, it would have been to about the bottom of the word "Brighten" so maybe just over the 1/2way mark?  And I didn't realize until I got home and started using it.  But I buy the "it's supposed to be filled with some air" explanation, for these flip-cap-on-the-bottom types particularly, just maybe not thaaaat much. Actually, I'm looking at the pic above more closely now that I'm at home, and what I thought before was just the continuation of the tube is looking more like where the tube stops/cap begins so that means there's less product than I initially thought. That probably pushes it over the acceptable tipping point and so I agree, I wouldn't purchase something like that. With the one I got from Sephora, I rationalized that with the top seamed, it's halfway filled by height but probably much more by volume.  
It's my picture, just above my thumb is where the bottom of cap is.. It really was about 1/3 full and there was no seal. I agree with what you're saying, 1/3 of a tube (or slightly less) of anything, is not something I would ever purchase. I'm using it but would be uncomfortable trading it.. It looks like it was used due to lack of product,

Hi Ladies!  I'm new to the board, though I've always been an observer.  I finally caved and joined because frankly, I need to voice some concerns I have and I'd like to know I'm not crazy and that other people feel the same way!

Since I started with Birchbox, about a year ago, the quality of the box (in my opinion) has been on a steady decline.  My very first box was filled with truly Deluxe samples of great products, and usually I had 5 great sized samples and an "extra".  But the last few months have been beyond disappointing!  Only 4 samples and an "extra" which is usually just a small piece of chocolate I can get at my local corner store for 25 cents.  Does anyone else feel like this?

I was reading the earlier posts and I saw the picture of the Vasanti bottle that was definitely more less than full and I had this same problem with the Dr. Jarts Black BB cream I received in my box.  It was barely enough for one application! 

The point of a deluxe sample and subscribing is to be able to really "sample the product" but how can you do that when it's barely enough for one use?  

Sorry, I know I'm ranting but I'm just so disappointed!

Last thing, I promise!  To all the ladies out there who got a foil packet of Miss Jessie's, you can log onto the Miss Jessie's site and pick 2 samples for free and they will even send them out to you for free!  If you like Miss Jessie, which I do because of the travel size I received earlier on in my birchbox subscription, I'd recommend going directly to their site and checking it out!  They'll send you 2 samples with no purchase necessary!

Help me out ladies, I can't be the only one right? =|

I got my replacement Vasanti in the mail today. It's a little over half full, which is a significantly more product than in my original. And it got here speedy quick!

Hi Ladies!  I'm new to the board, though I've always been an observer.  I finally caved and joined because frankly, I need to voice some concerns I have and I'd like to know I'm not crazy and that other people feel the same way! Since I started with Birchbox, about a year ago, the quality of the box (in my opinion) has been on a steady decline.  My very first box was filled with truly Deluxe samples of great products, and usually I had 5 great sized samples and an "extra".  But the last few months have been beyond disappointing!  Only 4 samples and an "extra" which is usually just a small piece of chocolate I can get at my local corner store for 25 cents.  Does anyone else feel like this? I was reading the earlier posts and I saw the picture of the Vasanti bottle that was definitely more less than full and I had this same problem with the Dr. Jarts Black BB cream I received in my box.  It was barely enough for one application!  The point of a deluxe sample and subscribing is to be able to really "sample the product" but how can you do that when it's barely enough for one use?   Sorry, I know I'm ranting but I'm just so disappointed! Last thing, I promise!  To all the ladies out there who got a foil packet of Miss Jessie's, you can log onto the Miss Jessie's site and pick 2 samples for free and they will even send them out to you for free!  If you like Miss Jessie, which I do because of the travel size I received earlier on in my birchbox subscription, I'd recommend going directly to their site and checking it out!  They'll send you 2 samples with no purchase necessary! Help me out ladies, I can't be the only one right? =|
You're not entirely alone...I've only received two boxes but I have yet to be impressed, especially with the whole 5th chocolate item. The only thing that made that OK with me was that I could review it for points (as dumb as that felt lol)

I just received my Feb box (I think it was 22?) and the Lancome mascara has a smell to it. This is the same mascara that was in the Sephora ItKits a few months back and one of the Lancome mascaras I received back then had this same smell so I didn't put on my trade thread. The other didn't have a smell to it at all. (I had a mascara that had the same smell when I was in high school, I kept it for the longest time because it had pretty Avon packaging.) But now I don't even want to use it, it smells like it's gone bad and that sucks for me because in the same box, the Skin&Co. body gel spilled. Has anyone else who received the mascara gotten one like mine? Is it supposed to smell bad?

Originally Posted by mirandamanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just received my Feb box (I think it was 22?) and the Lancome mascara has a smell to it. This is the same mascara that was in the Sephora ItKits a few months back and one of the Lancome mascaras I received back then had this same smell so I didn't put on my trade thread. The other didn't have a smell to it at all. (I had a mascara that had the same smell when I was in high school, I kept it for the longest time because it had pretty Avon packaging.) But now I don't even want to use it, it smells like it's gone bad and that sucks for me because in the same box, the Skin&Co. body gel spilled. Has anyone else who received the mascara gotten one like mine? Is it supposed to smell bad?
I got the Hypnose Star in a Sephora It Kit.  It does have a scent to it, but not a bad one, I just thought Lancome scented their mascara.  I'm about to throw it away, though, it clumps and globs and does nothing for my lashes.  I miss my Benefit They're Real 
frown.gif
 (Nov Ipsy bag)

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got the Hypnose Star in a Sephora It Kit.  It does have a scent to it, but not a bad one, I just thought Lancome scented their mascara.  I'm about to throw it away, though, it clumps and globs and does nothing for my lashes.  I miss my Benefit They're Real 
frown.gif
 (Nov Ipsy bag)

I've thrown away the ones I got from the ItKits but maybe if someone wants to deal with the scent I'll throw my BB one on my thread. It's not an entirely unpleasant smell but its not something I want to put on my eyelashes if it has that strong of a fragrance. It clumped on me too, the one that I did try. What's odd to me is that out of the three samples I've had, only one didn't have that smell. Oh well, on to next months Birchbox! 

i don't know if this has been mentioned (just coming to this thread for the first time and there are just too many pages) but has anything been mentioned about the fact that for box 2 (i believe that's the number) the picture shows the lancome la base pro but the box and card and reviews all have the bi-facil? not a big deal to me, just wondering

Originally Posted by amidea /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i don't know if this has been mentioned (just coming to this thread for the first time and there are just too many pages) but has anything been mentioned about the fact that for box 2 (i believe that's the number) the picture shows the lancome la base pro but the box and card and reviews all have the bi-facil? not a big deal to me, just wondering
I got this box and it had the bi-facil in it I think the person taking the pictures messed up. It was also one of the boxes that was very delayed because of the snow storm.

Yes, I received the Bi-Facil but the picture was La Base. Somebody got the picture wrong, but the review page was correct. So we did review what we actually got.

Originally Posted by msbelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I received the Bi-Facil but the picture was La Base. Somebody got the picture wrong, but the review page was correct. So we did review what we actually got.
Same here...box contents picture showed the La Base, contents list showed the Bi Facil, and I received the Bi Facil....and love it!

Haha! Yes, the points made up for the chocolate. =) This more recent box was pretty decent, I was lucky enough to get the one with the Macadamia products and I have to say I loved the mask so much I went out and purchased it.

I'm going to give them a few more months but I've been so, so disappointed with them lately.  Hopefully they turn it around!

Back