Birchbox February 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To use 200 u have to be under $20. If you're over $20, go up to $30 and use 300 pts.

Even better: go up to $37.50, use the 20off code, and get charged 300 points.

That's what I meant lol....make your total after the discount code either 20 or 30 so they don't take more points than you're gonna use

It's a good thing I watch this trade, otherwise I wouldn't know about the 20off code (for some reason I never get those offers)! Anyway, you guys are such enablers that I had to order the beauty protector without having even tried it, along with the shea terra black soap that I've been lurking for the past year... and, I actually remembered to include the pick 2 sample pack this time! Not bad!!
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh dear!  It appears as though the purple Eyeko eyeliner has hopped into my basket.  How on earth did that happen?
Lol it's a mystery! 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Eva Papoutsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a good thing I watch this trade, otherwise I wouldn't know about the 20off code (for some reason I never get those offers)! Anyway, you guys are such enablers that I had to order the beauty protector without having even tried it, along with the shea terra black soap that I've been lurking for the past year... and, I actually remembered to include the pick 2 sample pack this time! Not bad!!
icon_wink.gif

You will not be disappointed with the Shea Terra. My favorite cleanser ever.

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you use it and what benefits does it have for you? I know it's marketed as a detangler, but I think people were trying it for different things. I use it on my wet hair so it's easier to comb and let it air dry and it makes my hair super soft and shiney.
I've only used it about 3 times so far, each time a little differently. One time I spritzed just a bit on dry, washed-yesterday hair to tame static and flyaways that frame my face. And it smells awesome. Another time I used a little more on damp, freshly washed hair and then immediately put my hair up into a bun, pulled the bun out about an hour later and let air dry. My hair, which is normally stick straight, took a little curl and also smelled awesome. Then another time, I used it on damp hair again but left it down and let airdry. It was less wavy than before but still had a nice flow and "drape" to it, and also smelled awesome.

The smell, it's like I keep getting a little whiff of vacation. 

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you use it and what benefits does it have for you? I know it's marketed as a detangler, but I think people were trying it for different things. I use it on my wet hair so it's easier to comb and let it air dry and it makes my hair super soft and shiney.
I have virulently healthy hair, so I've stopped using conditioner.  I wash my hair every day (allergies like whoa = I have to wash out the smoke, pollen, mold, etc., out every night so I don't sleep with my face smushed against all of those cooties), but even in the middle of winter, I only needed a touch of hair oil/serum every other day or so, and now that it's not bitterly cold and dry, I've started using this stuff as a leave-in conditioner instead of oil/serum since those are just a little bit too heavy for me now that it's warming up.  I wash my hair in the shower, towel-dry, flip my head over, give my hair a few spritzes all over, run my fingers through a few times to distribute the spray through my hair, let it air dry (no blow drying or any other heat appliances over here!  I figure that counteracts the fact that I wash my hair every single day), and then brush it once it's dry (tangling is not an issue for me).  I'll be ordering a bottle of this stuff as soon as I get the rest of the order sorted out since I want to use that 20% off code, too!

(I washed my hair last night and didn't use this spray afterwards, and my hair -- fine, thick, and more or less straight with _That Girl_-era Marlo Thomas-esque flips at the ends that caused a cartoonist friend to inform me, "You look like a cartoon character!" when it was being particularly flippant one night -- was *poofy* once it dried, so it helps tame *that* situation down as well.  I can't decide whether this is good or bad, although *nothing* stops the flipping.)

Thanks so much for posting the 20% off code! Just got a Clarisonic Mia, Shea Terra Cleanser and pick two pack for $48!

Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks so much for posting the 20% off code! Just got a Clarisonic Mia, Shea Terra Cleanser and pick two pack for $48!
Thats a great deal.

Thanks to whoever suggested cutting open the (pretty much empty) Dr. Jart samples... with the help of some Cirque du Soleil acrobatics and archaeological excavating tools, I managed to extract juuuust enough to cover my face.  Kudos to Birchbox for getting the shade right, but I'm definitely sticking with Missha.  Dr. Jart is much harder to blend, and (to me, anyway) had less coverage. 

But yay for being able to actually try my sample!  That was just too much work!

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks to whoever suggested cutting open the (pretty much empty) Dr. Jart samples... with the help of some Cirque du Soleil acrobatics and archaeological excavating tools, I managed to extract juuuust enough to cover my face.  Kudos to Birchbox for getting the shade right, but I'm definitely sticking with Missha.  Dr. Jart is much harder to blend, and (to me, anyway) had less coverage. 

But yay for being able to actually try my sample!  That was just too much work!
I liked Dr. Jart, but you are right it has a bit less coverage than Missha, for sure!

Dr jart is best applied with a damp ripped sponge. It blends effortlessly! Missha had great coverage but left me looking dry and chalky where as dr jart leaves my skin dewy. Loving it!!

so up until today i've been able to get ~3-4 applications from my dr. jart sample.  i also decided to cut mine open & see what was inside since i couldnt squeeze anymore out.  holy cow, i had enough in there for at least another 2-3 applications.  glad i did that since the full-size i ordered won't be here for a few more days yet.

also, i've seen missha mentioned quite a few times before.  i tried looking online & they seem to have many variations.  where do you guys buy yours and what kind do you get?  my interest is piqued!

also, i just remember that i had a dream last night that my march birchbox came with 2 jouer's in the darkest shade (i'm super pale) and probably about 20 juicy perfume samples.  my brain is obviously trying to use other people's complaints i've read against me, but it actually didn't upset me that much.  but i did plot to contact birchbox anyway in effort to get a free 100 points.  maybe that's what its like in the mind-set of the complainers.  hahaha.

also, off-topic, but the light of my life at the moment: this morning i got 2nd row center tickets to see Aziz Ansari <3 :]

Originally Posted by kelley /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so up until today i've been able to get ~3-4 applications from my dr. jart sample.  i also decided to cut mine open & see what was inside since i couldnt squeeze anymore out.  holy cow, i had enough in there for at least another 2-3 applications.  glad i did that since the full-size i ordered won't be here for a few more days yet.
Good to know! I'm on my 5th application of the Dr. Jart sample, using a pea-sized amount each time. Just ordered a full size, so I'll try the cut-top method to get me through the wait.

also, off-topic, but the light of my life at the moment: this morning i got 2nd row center tickets to see Aziz Ansari <3 :]
super jelly.

Originally Posted by inlustro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good to know! I'm on my 5th application of the Dr. Jart sample, using a pea-sized amount each time. Just ordered a full size, so I'll try the cut-top method to get me through the wait.
 :]  I just put mine in a ziploc baggy after because I  had no idea what to do with it.  I've been a bit more generous with my sample-usage (make sure I give a little extra to cover my dark circles & to adequately make my freckle-face chill out).  Hopefully if theres any dry-age with my now cut open sample I can just mix a little water in to reconstitute and it will be usable...??  haha :/

Maybe try a clip or something when you do it and try to start the cut towards the top and cut away more as needed.  I cut mine right smack-dab in the middle, which obviously makes it super awkward to preserve... i just honestly was not expecting that much to be left at all when i did it. oh well, live & learn, etc!

Quote: Originally Posted by kelley /img/forum/go_quote.gif

also, i've seen missha mentioned quite a few times before.  i tried looking online & they seem to have many variations.  where do you guys buy yours and what kind do you get?  my interest is piqued!
There's actually a deal to get a full-size tube of Missha free if you're a first-time buyer from their site.  We made a thread of it (we were taking over the Ipsy Feb thread with all of the enabling ) with details on how to get it (you have to order one other item and pay the $9 shipping fee, but a lot of us just got a $2 clearance eyeshadow, so approx $11 for an eyeshadow and full-size BB cream... pretty awesome!)  They only send it in one color though (#21, I believe) which is for fair skin.  I have used it several times over the past month and I'm blown away by how amazingly it deals with my combination skin.  For people with dry skin (like Miss Jamie P) it doesn't work so well, but as long as I put moisturizer on my cheeks before applying, it lasts all day and totally controls my oily t-zone!  (Sorry, I may sound like an infomercial, but I'm so in love with this stuff!)

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/132731/missha-fans

:]  I just put mine in a ziploc baggy after because I  had no idea what to do with it.  I've been a bit more generous with my sample-usage (make sure I give a little extra to cover my dark circles & to adequately make my freckle-face chill out).  Hopefully if theres any dry-age with my now cut open sample I can just mix a little water in to reconstitute and it will be usable...??  haha :/

Maybe try a clip or something when you do it and try to start the cut towards the top and cut away more as needed.  I cut mine right smack-dab in the middle, which obviously makes it super awkward to preserve... i just honestly was not expecting that much to be left at all when i did it. oh well, live & learn, etc!
If you cut the tube off anywhere in the middle (just not at the very top), you can fit the top half over the bottom.  Since the top and bottom overlap, the contents inside don't dry out. 

Back