Birchbox January 2014 (SPOILERS!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzie1152 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks so much!! I think those colors look great! Definitely worth trying!

I want this palette so badly!  I used these colors a few days ago with the primer and they didn't budge!  I was sitting at a bar watching two whole football games too, so they can take some wear and tear!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @CheshireCookie loooooves CS (or at least thats what i think of when i think of her). From the stuff I've used/seen in real life, it all looks nice with decent staying power as long as you use a primer. I use the brushes and all and those are great and dandy. My best friend loves the eyeshadow since its cheap!

Hahaha, yes I do! CS girl at your service! @usofjessamerica @Dezzie1152 I believe there are a couple of CS palettes that I swatched in the Eyeshadow Mania thread if you're interested in taking a look at those as well. They're towards the front of the posts. Some of the 120 Palettes I think. Is there any particular palette you were looking at Dez? I have pretty much all of them except the new Revealed palette.....which may become mine soon LOL

Just finished my Nail Rock glitter mani and it totally reminds me of pixie dust/liquid sand finishes. Before top coat:
After top coat:
Clean up wasn't too bad but next time I'll use tape or Vaseline to make it easier. Glad I traded for 3 of these! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just finished my Nail Rock glitter mani and it totally reminds me of pixie dust/liquid sand finishes. Before top coat:
After top coat:
Clean up wasn't too bad but next time I'll use tape or Vaseline to make it easier. Glad I traded for 3 of these! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
soooo pretty! I'm going to put that on my BB wish list! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Man, seeing all the awesome goodies on here makes me wish my box would hurry up! It's in transit and won't be here til Tuesday or Wednesday but man, I am super excited to try everything out! 

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hahaha, yes I do! CS girl at your service! @usofjessamerica @Dezzie1152 I believe there are a couple of CS palettes that I swatched in the Eyeshadow Mania thread if you're interested in taking a look at those as well. They're towards the front of the posts. Some of the 120 Palettes I think. Is there any particular palette you were looking at Dez? I have pretty much all of them except the new Revealed palette.....which may become mine soon LOL

Honestly, I was just wondering about the quality of the eyeshadow.  I checked out your swatches and the pigment looks great!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

for anyone thinking about pulling the trigger on the CS Revealed palette -- this is a great deal.

(xposted to the enablers thread)

Thank you for this!!

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what did the Besame sample actually look like inside the packaging? Also, what color or colors was/were sent out? I saw a review mention something about 'matchsticks' and I can't picture that. Anyway, I ordered the full size in Dusty Rose even though I didn't get a sample. I already have the lip/cheek tint tin and the red lip pot with the glossy thick balm inside. The pot is my favorite of the two. I think I have a slight Besame crush! 
wub.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Heather Hicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what did the Besame sample actually look like inside the packaging? Also, what color or colors was/were sent out? I saw a review mention something about 'matchsticks' and I can't picture that. Anyway, I ordered the full size in Dusty Rose even though I didn't get a sample. I already have the lip/cheek tint tin and the red lip pot with the glossy thick balm inside. The pot is my favorite of the two. I think I have a slight Besame crush! 
wub.gif

According to Google, this is what the "matchstick" lipstick samples look like.

Quote: Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tiny but extremely cute. I wouldn't mind getting that!

Quote: Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Audiophilekate--Thanks so much! I have never, ever seen lip samples done this way. So cute. While I think I still prefer little mini twist up samples overall, I do like how unique this is, plus, this way you get 2 different colors to try out. My problem would be that I'd want to save them instead of using them, lol. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting my Dusty Rose shade to try out. I think there's one other pink I might consider down the line--Portrait, or something like that. Thanks again!!!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I tried out the dry conditioner, as someone correctly pointed out it is indeed for the hair ends.  The description on the Birchbox site is totally incorrect, it talks about cornstarch and there is none in the ingredients.  I've emailed them before about inaccurate descriptions (describing a chemical sunscreen as a physical sunscreen) but I'm not sure I want CS to know me as the crazy blurb fact checker.

Edit: Who am I kidding, I just sent an email.  I am crazy about accuracy, I probably missed my calling as an editor.

Quote: Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Birchbox is not *great* at fact checking.  

In their most recent eye shadow tutorials, the INIKA rep made some straight up incorrect comments regarding extremely basic color theory. She described how orange is a good color for blue eyes because they are contrasting colors and across from each other on the color wheel, this is fine/correct.  But THEN she went on to say that blue/silver also work because they are the complimentary colors of blue, which is wrong.  Orange is complimentary to blue, because it is contrasting.  I get that they don't want to contradict a guest, but then they made actual bullet points in the video reiterating her (incorrect) points.  I left a comment, but so far have been ignored.  This kind of thing makes me crazy.

I remembered ^these comments today as I was opening up my BB shipment.  A product I ordered was listed at 8.45 oz. and I received a 6 oz.  Pretty big difference!  I emailed them about it.  I actually had this same issue on my last order - the page listed 8 cards and the reality was 6!  I am one of those people who considers the cost per unit before I purchase, so these kinds of things drive me crazy.  I ended up returning the cards and asked them to update the website.

Aw, so much hate on the Chauo bars. I totally believe you guys, that the Rocky Road is gross, but I love the Potato Chip flavor. I never tried the chocolate covered Lays, but I have tried the Trader Joes version, which I thought was so heavy, as to be kind of gross.

I asked for four bars for  Valentines day, instead of truffles or flowers. I asked for two Bacons, a Popcorn, and a Potato Chip bar. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Moonittude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Aw, so much hate on the Chauo bars. I totally believe you guys, that the Rocky Road is gross, but I love the Potato Chip flavor. I never tried the chocolate covered Lays, but I have tried the Trader Joes version, which I thought was so heavy, as to be kind of gross.

I asked for four bars for  Valentines day, instead of truffles or flowers. I asked for two Bacons, a Popcorn, and a Potato Chip bar. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Has anyone tried the new "firecracker" flavor? It's got sea salt, chipotle and pop rocks in dark chocolate. It's literally life-changing. Seriously! 

Quote: Originally Posted by Moonittude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After all the talk about those bars I actually went to Target and bought the honeycomb one and told myself it was incentive to work out more. I could have it if I met a workout goal. We will see how it works hahahahaha! 

It sounds like such a weird flavor, but the breadcrumbs and sea salt one is SO GOOD.  I love it!  Still need to try the potato chip one!

Hmmm my Target only carried the Honeycomb and the Potato chip one. I figure...how can you go wrong with potato chips and chocolate? My dad used to actually sit with a slice of chocolate cake and a handful of Lays potato chips and eat them. Salty and sweet. Not in the same bite mind you but more or less together. Yeah, my dad is an oddball but I tried it once and well, frankly, it's delicious and wouldn't be much different than Lays dipped in chocolate I suppose....mmm now I'm hungry. 

Man, I'm going nuts waiting for my January box! It shipped/was picked up by Newgistics on the 22nd. It takes the exact and I mean exact same route as my Glossybox. Going by typical shipping patterns I should get GB tomorrow but BB seems to be stuck in Fisher's IN....they use the exact same shipping method too. I was hoping to get both tomorrow but at least I can totally have one package waiting for me when I get home tomorrow! 

It sounds like such a weird flavor, but the breadcrumbs and sea salt one is SO GOOD.  I love it!  Still need to try the potato chip one!
The breadcrumbs and sea salt one is my FAVORITE!

Nope. For me totally same bite. Favorite comfort snack through childhood and high school was Chocolate Malted Crunch ice cream from Rite Aid (I hope someone else knows what this is!) with crushed ruffles on top. Oh to be 16 and athletic...!

Hmmm my Target only carried the Honeycomb and the Potato chip one. I figure...how can you go wrong with potato chips and chocolate? My dad used to actually sit with a slice of chocolate cake and a handful of Lays potato chips and eat them. Salty and sweet. Not in the same bite mind you but more or less together. Yeah, my dad is an oddball but I tried it once and well, frankly, it's delicious and wouldn't be much different than Lays dipped in chocolate I suppose....mmm now I'm hungry.  Man, I'm going nuts waiting for my January box! It shipped/was picked up by Newgistics on the 22nd. It takes the exact and I mean exact same route as my Glossybox. Going by typical shipping patterns I should get GB tomorrow but BB seems to be stuck in Fisher's IN....they use the exact same shipping method too. I was hoping to get both tomorrow but at least I can totally have one package waiting for me when I get home tomorrow! 

Back