Birchbox Points Changes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted them about a refund on my last few annual subscription boxes since they won't benefit from the points program that was in place when I bought the sub (essentially a "loss" to me of at least $20). 

They gave me a full pro-rated refund. FYI if anyone else with an annual wants out now. It's already taken effect on my account, and the refund is already showing up.

Thanks to someone on MSA, I found a recent article about Birchbox and their new strategy.  My takeaway is that Birchbox still isn't turning a profit and is the midst of a major identity crisis.   They don't really seem to have a great plan or strategy for the future.  I can't figure out if they just want to get out of the subscription business altogether, or dump their 'old' subscribers in favor of new customers who will use their shop more often to purchase full sized products.  

Opening brick and mortar shops seems risky. . .here in Portland metro we have Sephora, Nordstrom, Ulta, Blue Mercury, and a nice locally owned store.  Plus, we have Whole Foods and New Seasons stores with large natural beauty sections.   I don't know how they will set themselves apart from the crowded market.  Just grouping things by item and not brand really isn't anything revolutionary or life changing.  

here is the article: 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-03/birchbox-finds-cute-boxes-filled-with-makeup-aren-t-enough

I think I might try to cancel what is left of my sub.  Their point system was the best and that is why I did a year sub.  It is not my fault they decided to build or set up B&M stores and are struggling?  Also it seems that they do want people to purchase full size from their store, but I have noticed on more that one occasion that their prices are always a 1/2 dollar to a couple of dollars more on items. Also it seems that they are losing a lot of key players that started out with the company. Hmmm, interesting to see if they stay in the sub biz!

We are only at the mid of the year and there are so many changes with Birchbox....

1. Coupons disappearing

2. Point for sharing gone

3. Curated box is now available with $50+ purchase...previously I could get one for $10

4. This huge point system change...Point 3 is so BIG that it shadows point 1 and 2.

5. Eventually ACE membership will cost around $500...I am not sure if I will ever hit the ACE status with this point system. But then spending $500 will give me $50 back in their store. Costlier than Sephora VIB...but then I may prefer Sephora over BB.

Anything else to add...

If I cancel my subscription on July 11th, I can still review the samples from a July box for points correct? Since the boxes go live on the 10th?

Bummed about this, the point system was the reason I liked birchbox!

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted them about a refund on my last few annual subscription boxes since they won't benefit from the points program that was in place when I bought the sub (essentially a "loss" to me of at least $20). 

They gave me a full pro-rated refund. FYI if anyone else with an annual wants out now. It's already taken effect on my account, and the refund is already showing up.
I might need to do this, but my annual sub is up in January so I'm only half way.

Thanks to someone on MSA, I found a recent article about Birchbox and their new strategy.  My takeaway is that Birchbox still isn't turning a profit and is the midst of a major identity crisis.   They don't really seem to have a great plan or strategy for the future.  I can't figure out if they just want to get out of the subscription business altogether, or dump their 'old' subscribers in favor of new customers who will use their shop more often to purchase full sized products.  

Opening brick and mortar shops seems risky. . .here in Portland metro we have Sephora, Nordstrom, Ulta, Blue Mercury, and a nice locally owned store.  Plus, we have Whole Foods and New Seasons stores with large natural beauty sections.   I don't know how they will set themselves apart from the crowded market.  Just grouping things by item and not brand really isn't anything revolutionary or life changing.  

here is the article: 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-03/birchbox-finds-cute-boxes-filled-with-makeup-aren-t-enough
I find this interesting. I am actually a subscriber who does spend actual money frequently in their store-- I don't use points for all my purchases- I usually hoard them for a big purchase but often I buy many ~$50 orders and don't use my points. Like I said elsewhere- I already prefer Sephora due to their flash shipping and good promo with purchase (so much better than Birchbox usually minus discount codes)- so I see little incentive to shop on Birchbox since their shipping is very slow.

But they may have lost me - unless their sub boxes start to look like Allure or something, because I don't see much value in the actual boxes. As many have said- samples are small (and some have less than 1 solid use in them!) and there has been a huge repeat of products - I don't usually go WOW when I see my box-but am usually fine with it because of the points- and considering I also get Sephora which is the same price, and Allure which is only $5 more (actually less because I do the annual sub with them)- I don't see the value in paying $7-10 for these boxes (I bought an annual with the ACE black friday discount). Long story short, I don't see the point in paying ~$10/month for boxes where I enjoy the items less and less when there is no silver lining.

As far as focusing on Brick and mortar- I find this bizarre. I thought because of online shopping, brick and mortar is doing terribly for many companies. I hardly shop at them anymore- when I have the convenience of shopping online with promos and ebates, etc. I can't fathom if they opened a ton of brick and mortars and closed down the sub shop, how they would be profitable. Many people still don't even know what Birchbox is-- but they definitely know Sephora and Ulta.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I LOVED their point system and often found myself buying products I normally bought elsewhere from them when they offered a discount code because of the points. And sometimes I only re-subbed in order to get one of the PYS I wanted and  more points since I haven't been wowed by their samples lately. I spent ALOT of money in their shop.

This will completely stop me from re-subbing ever again unless they have a curated box I HAVE to have (hasn't happened so far) but if we still get points for buying things, I may still buy from them but only if I get a discount code too, which those too have really are far and few between these days!

I saw this coming awhile back. Too bad. It was fun while it lasted....

I always forget to review my samples in time to get the points, but this is still such a bummer!

While Birchbox has had some great products and brands, the actual retail value never compares to other similar price subscription boxes (like say Ipsy). While I would much rather have a $2 value sample of something I will love rather than a $10 value for a product I don't care for so much, I feel like Birchbox needs to step up their game, as not every product is great (I know that personal preference is a thing, and they can not know what I already own, but I have heard multiple times of people with lets say oily skin get super moisturizing creams or etc). Maybe them saving money from this will allow so?

If not I am not sure if Birchbox would be worth $10, with the sample reviewing for points as not being an option anymore

I always forget to review my samples in time to get the points, but this is still such a bummer!

While Birchbox has had some great products and brands, the actual retail value never compares to other similar price subscription boxes (like say Ipsy). While I would much rather have a $2 value sample of something I will love rather than a $10 value for a product I don't care for so much, I feel like Birchbox needs to step up their game, as not every product is great (I know that personal preference is a thing, and they can not know what I already own, but I have heard multiple times of people with lets say oily skin get super moisturizing creams or etc). Maybe them saving money from this will allow so?

If not I am not sure if Birchbox would be worth $10, with the sample reviewing for points as not being an option anymore
  I did the same thing, forgot to review my BB for the last like 4 months, screwed myself out of a bunch of points :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Oh well. My BB are always tiny samples, and most of the time the hair samples are not even for my type of hair. I always get thin/fine hair samples. I have thick wavy to curly hair. For the same price Ipsy had some amazing high value bags, but again I never really got anything I loved. I think I got 3 bags I loved in a year of subbing, otherwise I got mascara or eyeliner allllllll the time. But I'm thinking of resubbing to Ipsy after this. 

I emailed them to find out what will happen to ACE status.  As others have noted, after July you would need to refer 10 people per year or spend $500.  It would be nice if they threw in some bonus features as a consolation for the change in points.  i.e. You become an ACE after 4 boxes or they bring back those 20% off coupons for each shopping holiday.   Does anyone know if you have to be a current subscriber to get referral points?  I wonder if I could just create new accounts each month and refer them from the main. 

I emailed them to find out what will happen to ACE status.  As others have noted, after July you would need to refer 10 people per year or spend $500.  It would be nice if they threw in some bonus features as a consolation for the change in points.  i.e. You become an ACE after 4 boxes or they bring back those 20% off coupons for each shopping holiday.   Does anyone know if you have to be a current subscriber to get referral points?  I wonder if I could just create new accounts each month and refer them from the main. 
Oh great, another change I'm not happy about. Looks like I will no longer be an Ace for the first time since the conception of the ACE program, unless they start doling out the 20% codes again which is very UNLIKELY to happen. Bye bye birchbox.

Wow, very disappointing.  I'm rarely thrilled with my boxes, but the review points made it bearable.  IMO, the points system is the only uniqueness that made BB worthwhile.  Definitely jumping ship.

I'll be sticking with BB only because I buy hair care from there that I can't get at Sephora and Ulta and they are too expensive without the points. If I can still get some points and use those towards the hair care it will be worth it to me. I do enjoy getting to try some off brands that I would never consider buying and some of their curated boxes and featured boxes have been worth it. I'll most likely lose my Ace status though because I don't see spending that much. I'm a rouge at Sephora and I just can't do that times two. I really shouldn't be a rouge at sephora either but my makeup obsession gets the best of me. I really need help in that area! lol

I never got the email so this is all news to me!  What a bummer if it ends up being true.

Well the driving force for me to re-sub to BB was to try new products.  I did remember (and loved) the points system if I ever were to buy something from them.  I like that they made it 10 points = $1 but if I can only review 5 samples products in a year(?) then there really is no incentive to continue.  

Maybe too many people were hoarding points to cash in--I haven't subbed for over 5 years so I honestly don't know what people were doing with their points.

I added myself to the Sephora Play waitlist (hopefully it opens soon).  I need to start shopping there again.  I doubt the return policy at BB is as good as Sephora anyways.  

Back