Birchbox Points Changes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if they've still been sending anniversary codes?  Next month is my 30th month and I'll wait to make my last purchase then if I'll get a code.  

Well, this new points situation is a sad turn of events.

I might stick around for July but after that I'm done.

Same for me.  I requested a cancellation the afternoon that the email came out, after seeing multiple people saying they were able to cancel and get a partial refund.  I'm an ACE and got the usual "hey as an ACE your email goes to the top of the list blah blah blah"...just got a response today.  Canned response of we'd hate to lose you, you can't cancel unless you're in your first month of the subscription.  Ugh.  I'm pissed.  Any chance they had of me shopping their site in the future is gone now.   
Did you try the wording that they broke their "contract" with you when you purchased since they are now not offering something you thought you were buying? I know people who pointed that out were able to cancel with prorated refunds. I have an annual until Nov-- I am def waiting til July for any action to get those last points and to see what they are doing- I may continue since it was already paid for a long time ago and see what they do with this situation but if things get worse I will try to cancel too. I DID request they cancel my auto renewal though- I wanted some documentation from another dissatisfied customer on the books.

Did you try the wording that they broke their "contract" with you when you purchased since they are now not offering something you thought you were buying? I know people who pointed that out were able to cancel with prorated refunds. I have an annual until Nov-- I am def waiting til July for any action to get those last points and to see what they are doing- I may continue since it was already paid for a long time ago and see what they do with this situation but if things get worse I will try to cancel too. I DID request they cancel my auto renewal though- I wanted some documentation from another dissatisfied customer on the books.
Yes, I did.  Oh well.  It wasn't even about the money, it's more the principle of it.  I see it the same way as you, that it was already paid for a long time ago, it's money spent...They certainly won't be seeing any of my money again though, that's for sure. 

I cashed in my points yesterday. I thought about staying on through July to get the last of the points, but I fear that the inventory will be shot by then as it seems everyone is cashing out their points and/or unsubscribing.  Plus, every news article I've read about Birchbox it seems they're strapped for cash, so...

ETA: I emailed them back to say that I was disappointed that some subscribers were given the courtesy of cancelling and receiving a prorated refund, and wouldn't you know, they emailed me back saying that they cancelled my subscription and have refunded my card for the remaining balance.  So for you ladies who tried and were denied, try again.  I'm bummed about cancelling but honestly, the writing is on the wall, it's time to jump ship. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just played some amazing cart tetris.  I just grabbed the IPKN twinkle set and some Marcelle BB cream- welcomeoffer20 still worked on my account.  They consolidated my points so I had 30 points to spend.  Total came to 3.33 oop.  I know there is a separate thread for "what did you buy" but I thought I'd post here that the code might still work on some accounts. It's probably the last good code until black friday. 

The email seemed purposefully vague. It is sad to realize my Birchbox days may be coming to an end if they follow through with this. Someone on the blogging page mentioned she was told they could reverse the decision if enough people complain, but I think they want to move more into the full-size store and away from subscriptions after reading multiple articles for source material. I sent an email, but I got the same pre-formatted reply I've seen posted everywhere. 

They totally just killed their subscription business.  I've been a Birchbox member/subscriber since the beginning.  Until yesterday, I had two active subscriptions because I was more than happy to spend $20 a month to get two boxes full of samples.  I have found SO many holy grail products through the Birchbox sub boxes and whenever I'd find something that I just LOVED and HAD TO HAVE a full size version of - guess where I'd go to buy it?  Yes, I'd buy it through Birchbox.  Sometimes I'd use my saved up points for a discount - sometimes I'd just buy it through Birchbox (even if it cost a few bucks more than somewhere else) because I'd happily give the extra $$ to Birchbox because THEY are the one that shared the item with me through the sub boxes.  Well, I cancelled my 2nd account this morning after using the $10 worth of points I had in that one and I'm going to close my 1st (and longest account) after receiving the July box.  There are so many other sub boxes out there and there's no real reason to get Birchbox anymore.  The samples have gone downhill since they started this "choose a sample" thing anyways, so this change in points system just tipped me to the edge to finally say good bye to them for good. 

Did anyone see the video that Katia posted on Facebook? I wasn't able to watch it (on a cruise right now and I couldn't get it to load with the wifi we have), but I'm curious what everyone else thought. The comments on the video were pretty mixed.

Like most of you I am SUPER bummed about the points, but I sorta of figured something like this was going to happen when one of the founders left. I'll be canceling my main box after July and cashing in my points and then I'll end my gift sub in December when it runs out. Honestly though I will feel very bad for them if they end of closing shop.

Just an FYI for anyone looking to cash in the rest of your points and being done- if you sub to glossy box also- I saw they just added the lemon hair rinse everyone seems to love from glossy box. It's only $10!

Question for those of you who were able to combine accounts and points, how were you able to do this? When I contacted CS and asked to transfer my points/combine accounts, I was told their 'system wasn't set up to do this'..

I don't really have anything to add to the conversation - I just cancelled my subscription.  This makes me so angry!  BB is really making it clear that their subscribers are just a means to an end and we aren't valued at all.

You just have to get the right rep who is willing to do this.  Someone said they sent a message through facebook.  Others through chat.  For some reason chat won't come up on my laptop so I sent them a message on the website.  It's the same thing for when you write to say you received a damaged sample. One rep might send a new sample.  Another might say they are all out and give you points. If they said no through chat, try facebook or an email.

Sorry for the double post. My laptop is dying.

Does anyone find it somewhat amusing that Birchbox is messing up their points system by trying to be Sephora while Sephora launches a sample box because it wants to be Birchbox?

So I've been lurking on this thread for a while now.  I emailed  CS last night to ask once and for all about anniversary codes.  I had asked them a couple of weeks ago and they told me to be on the lookout.  I emailed last night to say I wasn't canceling (note, definitely thinking about it now) but wanted to know for sure about the anniversary codes and they didn't even answer my question.  "Val" replied at 4:00 am (???) that there are no current offers available, but be sure to check out the bonus shop to treat myself.  So I responded back that her lack of acknowledgement leads me to thing that they are getting rid of the one thing I had been looking forward to each year since subscribing in 2012.  No response.  (shakes head) 

Question for those of you who were able to combine accounts and points, how were you able to do this? When I contacted CS and asked to transfer my points/combine accounts, I was told their 'system wasn't set up to do this'..
I used chat - I just asked to transfer my points and they did that within 20 minutes. 

trying to merge my points!  wish me luck! i go back and forth on if I want to cancel. I enjoy my little box every month!

Back