Birchbox - September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by wels5711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

dang am I the only one who kinda liked the August box?
it was my 6th month and by far my favorite so far!!

my first 4 months sucked so i had to get some good ones lol

It wasn't a matter of liking or disliking I suppose. I got three items that I can't use due to overly sensitive skin (2 kinds of self tanning wipes and a brightening cleanser). Now it's not their fault but the fact remains that I ended up liking only one item out of the whole box (the razor). Yes it is about experimentation but I am finding I am items I can't even try because of ingredients a lot. Once again, not their fault but it is why I said that I am wondering if this is just not the box for me. I have other subs where I don't have this problem, or if I do it is usually only one item in the box . September is make or break for me.

BB, as with ALL subs, should try to work more with a theme if they're going to DO a theme (echoes of MG's February bag)....If you're gonna make it Beauty 101, then ok, back to basics. If you're gonna make it GOSSIP GIRL, then ok, make it stuff that the characters might conceivably use. etc.

I would be okay with a hand cream. I really want to try the Caudilie hand and nail cream. I really hope they don't send pumpkin-flavored bars or packets of apple cider powder. Yick! Fall nail polish I'm not so sure about because sometimes Fall means grey or nude polishes and I wear bright colors all year.

I came close to canceling this sub b/c they haven't really been giving me anything too useful over the last few months. I figure why keep a sub if I'm not too excited over the contents? Now GB I canceled b/c of their exorbitant price. Birchbox won the battle b/c they're cheap... that and I really loved that shaver last month. lol. I've never had such a good shaver-- ever. This one's like my husband's, actually! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep buying refills for this one for a long time. 

I want some actual eye shadows; not eye shadow cards. That's what I'd like to see in my box this month. I keep getting creams and tiny packets. Last month, I got a stretch mark cream, which I didn't mind! I haven't really used it, but it could come in handy. I'd also like to see more handy tools from them, such as eyelash curlers, maybe something like the ped-egg (I heard that's REALLY good), a kabuki brush... I can't think of anything else, but I think it would be great if there were more months like August where they would send everybody one featured item that's the same (i.e. the shaver). 

Hope this is an exciting month!

I liked mine. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can admit that I would definitely have not been happy with many of the other boxes, though.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It wasn't a matter of liking or disliking I suppose. I got three items that I can't use due to overly sensitive skin (2 kinds of self tanning wipes and a brightening cleanser). Now it's not their fault but the fact remains that I ended up liking only one item out of the whole box (the razor). Yes it is about experimentation but I am finding I am items I can't even try because of ingredients a lot. Once again, not their fault but it is why I said that I am wondering if this is just not the box for me. I have other subs where I don't have this problem, or if I do it is usually only one item in the box . September is make or break for me.
That is literally the EXACT same issue I had, and why I emailed them! This is my first box of 5 that I haven't totally loved, but if they promise samples tailored to our needs, and they have us fill out profiles to determine those needs, they need to follow through and not send us things we can't even try! If they are going to completely ignore the profiles, they should do what other companies do and send everyone the same samples. 

As long as it doesn't have tanning stuff I will be happy.  There should be a way that we can elect NOT to have any tanning items!  Done ranting
rolleyes.gif

I actually really liked my August box, but in months when other people were really excited about the boxes, I was just meh. In most months, there are only one or two items that I really have much use for (especially since I'm picky about ingredients), but the things I don't like or won't use just get tossed in my share bag to be given to other folks who will appreciate them (or if they're empty or missing, I just take whatever points CS offers and call it a day). This weekend, my mother told me she'd take all my fragrance samples and gave me her Mynteas (or whatever they're called), which she didn't care for but I really like. One man's trash is another man's treasure, and all that. All in, it's still worth $10 per month to me. Some people like playing the lotto. I like Birchbox.

Honestly? I'll be happy with my box as long as my tracking info for it doesn't say "No information available at this time; please check back in 24-48 hours" for TWO AND A HALF WEEKS. In that time, the products that were supposedly my box (according to my BB account page) changed 3 times... I didn't get my box until the middle/end of last week!

Anyway... rant over :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm with y'all, I'd love to see some fall trends in the box, especially as far as nail polish and makeup (blush? eyeshadow?) goes. Maybe a crisp apple-scented perfume sample?

I have had more misses than hits when it comes to my Birchbox.  However, I still get excited every month waiting and wondering what I'm going to get and hoping that I get certain products from the spoiler video.  Of course, I've only ever gotten one item from the spoiler video, but it's still fun for me.  When I lose the excitement and stop anticipating my box, then I'll know it's time to move on from BB.  I'm half afraid that if I cancel, then the next month will be phenomenal and I'll really have missed out.

Honestly? I'll be happy with my box as long as my tracking info for it doesn't say "No information available at this time; please check back in 24-48 hours" for TWO AND A HALF WEEKS. In that time, the products that were supposedly my box (according to my BB account page) changed 3 times... I didn't get my box until the middle/end of last week! Anyway... rant over :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm with y'all, I'd love to see some fall trends in the box, especially as far as nail polish and makeup (blush? eyeshadow?) goes. Maybe a crisp apple-scented perfume sample?
Yikes! I guess I've been lucky with their shipping so far! Ooh, a crisp apple scent would be lovely! Maybe one of DKNY's apple-themed fragrances? My mother wouldn't get that one from me!

Honestly you ladies and this community makes Beauty subs whether good or bad super awesome.

From the moment we get charged, get hints and or clues! You guys sure now how to make this into an Online adventure.

From then braking it down how the product worked or didn't worked this is a one stop shop for review updates!

I have fallen in love with so many different products I would have never ever used because of these subs and you ladies!

May the fall Season bring in AWESOME PRODUCTS!

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Curious to know - for those of you who received last year's September/fall Birchboxes, did you notice a (better) difference between it and summer boxes? I keep hearing that fall boxes are usually better for some reason, so it'd be interesting to see if it's true!
My very first box was August 2011 and it was awesome.  Smashbox primer, Cool Fix lotion, Quidad hair product, face cream and a hair tie. I was so excited! The box that I got in September was the worst box to date. I didn't use a single product in it ( [SIZE=10pt]Pangea Organics, [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]LIV GRN C2C Fragrance, [/SIZE]Incoco® Nail Polish Appliqué, [SIZE=10pt]Jouer Lip Enhancer).  BUT than I got Octobers and it was good again (Oribe shampoo,Orofluido, Laura Geller, Befine and Caudalie).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]So basically, every other month as been good to me.  June's box was blah, July's box was great, August was blah, etc.  So September should be good![/SIZE]

I said before that this last box was my worst box to date (the Stila foundation card was my "big ticket" item). However, I used the card, despite being bitter over it. I LOVED it. I went to Sephora the next day and bought the full size. I have found my new HG foundation/concealer combo. As mad as I was at getting that sample, it paid off in the end. Once again, I think BB knows me better than I know myself. (scary)

Can't wait to see what September brings!

I really liked my August box, but some of the options would have made me unhappy. Thankfully, I had gotten the fashion tape, Eye Rock, and tanning wipes in previous boxes...lol.

Originally Posted by amandah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20% off at birchbox with code 20foryou
but FYI it's with a minimum $35.00 purchase. I love birchbox. I was just getting ready to make a big order on Friday when i get paid, and now they offer this until Friday! sooo excited.

I canceled after 3 months of missses. I just signed up again...couldn't help myself! Hope its a good month :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back