Birchbox - September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have loved my boxes so far and enjoyed the box I got last month. Since it will be an anniversary for Birchbox, I hope we all get awesome products!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Box madness for sure! I was so sad about the lack of spoilers last month. I hope we get a better "trail" to follow this month!
Me too! I have high hopes for September, and while I LOVE surprises, I am super impatient! I've always been a "peeker," haha!

I surprisingly enjoyed my August Box.  I got the dreaded Eye Rock stickers, but will be saving those for Halloween or something.  I got the Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer which I didn't like at first, but now love. I already bought the full-size from the store. I enjoyed the Juicy perfume (despite me not really being a perfume person) and loved the Mentha Lip Shine.

Overall, I haven't been upset with any of my boxes yet (this will be my 4th month.)  I'm a college student, so $10 a month is a lot for me.  I love the samples, but the main reason I stick with BB is for the point system.  If I can rack up enough points, it's definitely worth it for me to stick around.  I'd be buying similar products anyway.

Originally Posted by Jazbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly you ladies and this community makes Beauty subs whether good or bad super awesome.

From the moment we get charged, get hints and or clues! You guys sure now how to make this into an Online adventure.

From then braking it down how the product worked or didn't worked this is a one stop shop for review updates!

I have fallen in love with so many different products I would have never ever used because of these subs and you ladies!

May the fall Season bring in AWESOME PRODUCTS!
Well said!  I received my first Birchbox last month and I was really happy with it!  That aside, I really enjoy the community that has transpired on this forum.  I love reading everyone's posts, interacting with everyone, sharing the anticipation of what may be in my box, getting hints and clues (like Jazbot said!)!  Once I get my box, I LOVE trying new things and new products; from there, I love reviewing and sharing what I did/did not like.  I try to keep it positive, because it really is subjective whether you like it or not.  For $10 including shipping, it's a great deal because you get a month long adventure!  Thanks, Jazbot, for sharing!

Originally Posted by jannie135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just so people know, Sephora is offering the 4 DKNY apple sample thingamabobers online as one of those free samples you can pick with any order. And I think you can choose up to 5 still. I'm getting mine todaaaay!!! Along with everything else I ordered lol.

I bought like 3 items and I'm getting like 14 samples THIS IS GOING TO FEEL LIKE CHRISTMAS!!
haha I just placed a $2 order (clinique sharpener), got free shipping (VIB promo), and my 5 samples -- including the DKNY sample set. I'm completely jazzed. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Wish I could have ordered more, but I'm suuuuper broke, lol

I'm trying to feel optimistic about the September box....I've been subscribed for 2 months and I'm not terribly impressed. Haven't hated my boxes, but I haven't loved them either. My August box was an improvement on the July one though....well, except for that Stila card I got which was such a disappointment, AND it was like 5 shades too dark. grrr. So...as much as I'd LOVE to give birchbox an A+ and say I love them, I have to give them about a C+/B- right now. If the quality/distribution of samples continue this way, I'll probably cancel in a couple of months.

quick edit: I got their email for 20% off a $35 purchase (20foryou)....for those of you who are long-time subscribers, how often does BB have promos like that? I want to take advantage of it, but I want to save up more points first (and wait til school starts and I have my TA job again and an income, lol), so are they likely to send another promo offer in the next few months?

Originally Posted by JamieO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is literally the EXACT same issue I had, and why I emailed them! This is my first box of 5 that I haven't totally loved, but if they promise samples tailored to our needs, and they have us fill out profiles to determine those needs, they need to follow through and not send us things we can't even try! If they are going to completely ignore the profiles, they should do what other companies do and send everyone the same samples. 
the month previous i had a tinted moisturizer in golden (my profile says light) and oil brotting sheets (my profile says i have dry skin)

i emailed them about it and they said they sent the tinted moistuzer in golden to use as a contour........................

and they said i could use to oil blotting sheets to get rid of sweat since it was a hot summer.......

really??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

that makes absolutely no sense id rather them say oops, we didnt pay attention to your profile for this moth then give me those full of **** answers

Whoa. I placed an order yesterday afternoon and got a shipping notice last night around 8. Of course it hasn't been updated yet, but that was quick. Does anybody know where they ship from?

Whoa. I placed an order yesterday afternoon and got a shipping notice last night around 8. Of course it hasn't been updated yet, but that was quick. Does anybody know where they ship from?
New York :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Angelalh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the month previous i had a tinted moisturizer in golden (my profile says light) and oil brotting sheets (my profile says i have dry skin)

i emailed them about it and they said they sent the tinted moistuzer in golden to use as a contour........................

and they said i could use to oil blotting sheets to get rid of sweat since it was a hot summer.......

that makes absolutely no sense id rather them say oops, we didnt pay attention to your profile for this moth then give me those full of **** answers
That was my issue last month. I got the tanning wipes and DDF Brightening cleanser when I have very fair, pale, sensitive skin. They responded to me and said that they thought tanning wipes constituted "sun protection" since they are safer than the sun or tanning beds (never mind the fact that I'm pale and DON'T WANT TO BE TAN!), and this is what they said about the cleanser when I told them I was afraid to use it because it contains ingredients that can irritate sensitive skin and there is a sunburn warning on the bottle:

As for the DDF Brightening Cleanser, this product was created by a dermatologist and includes a ton of natural ingredients. While we feel strongly this product will cause no issues for your sensitive skin, we always stand behind a skin test! We feel confident it will be a soon-to-be favorite.

Yup. So helpful. Anyway....I'm don't ranting about last month and excited for this month!! I have high hopes! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

They pay attention to the profiles only in large demographic ways, depending on what they are marketing or what the product partner wants from the feedback. That's really what I think. It may have started out as a way to customize more, but they are too big for that now. They really need to explicitly state how the profile really works. In the meantime, next time that happens, quote from BB's very own beauty blog, which promises something quite different and ask for a new sample or points:

http://blog.birchbox.com/post/16172972886/beauty-profile-key-to-finding-your-sample-match

Originally Posted by samvanz12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I surprisingly enjoyed my August Box.  I got the dreaded Eye Rock stickers, but will be saving those for Halloween or something.  I got the Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer which I didn't like at first, but now love. I already bought the full-size from the store. I enjoyed the Juicy perfume (despite me not really being a perfume person) and loved the Mentha Lip Shine.

Overall, I haven't been upset with any of my boxes yet (this will be my 4th month.)  I'm a college student, so $10 a month is a lot for me.  I love the samples, but the main reason I stick with BB is for the point system.  If I can rack up enough points, it's definitely worth it for me to stick around.  I'd be buying similar products anyway.
That's exactly what I'm doing with my stickers.  Not a terrible idea for a product, but there's no way I could use them for an every day look.

For what it's worth, I have ridiculously sensitive skin, and the DDF brightening cleanser was awesome.  Smells gross, but my skin felt fantastic afterward.  

Originally Posted by dolceloure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

haha I just placed a $2 order (clinique sharpener), got free shipping (VIB promo), and my 5 samples -- including the DKNY sample set. I'm completely jazzed. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Wish I could have ordered more, but I'm suuuuper broke, lol

I'm trying to feel optimistic about the September box....I've been subscribed for 2 months and I'm not terribly impressed. Haven't hated my boxes, but I haven't loved them either. My August box was an improvement on the July one though....well, except for that Stila card I got which was such a disappointment, AND it was like 5 shades too dark. grrr. So...as much as I'd LOVE to give birchbox an A+ and say I love them, I have to give them about a C+/B- right now. If the quality/distribution of samples continue this way, I'll probably cancel in a couple of months.

quick edit: I got their email for 20% off a $35 purchase (20foryou)....for those of you who are long-time subscribers, how often does BB have promos like that? I want to take advantage of it, but I want to save up more points first (and wait til school starts and I have my TA job again and an income, lol), so are they likely to send another promo offer in the next few months?
What's the VIB free shipping deal?  I'm a VIB and I don't see it anywhere on the site - thanks!!

I have dry skin, but I find blotting sheets to be a godsend in the summer humidity. If you live where it's dry, then that answer might not make sense.

Glad you found the shipping code, brio! It's supposed to be good until the end of August! And excellent timing too -- Sephora's having a great online-only, end-of-summer sale right now. I'm tempted to place another little, free-shipping order before the month is out. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by dotblankdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For what it's worth, I have ridiculously sensitive skin, and the DDF brightening cleanser was awesome.  Smells gross, but my skin felt fantastic afterward.  
Same here, took a couple uses to get past the smell (smells like licorice to me) but it works great for my ultra sensitive skin and I've caught my hubby using it a couple times as well 
wink.gif

Just enter code 'august20'

My, how time flies! We’ve added tons of new essentials to the Birchbox

Shop since your last visit. Take a look around and get 20% off orders $50+!*

Not sure where to start? Check out our new additions.

Back