Birchbox - September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just enter code 'august20'

My, how time flies! We’ve added tons of new essentials to the Birchbox

Shop since your last visit. Take a look around and get 20% off orders $50+!*

Not sure where to start? Check out our new additions.

Thank you for  posting this. I never get this sort of thing in my e-mail. Sads. 

I have yet to get a phenomenal box. I've had decent boxes, well except my first box - it was horrible - stupid eye rock liners and jouer lip gloss!  I have not gotten a big ticket item yet. Hopefully September is my month!

I got "20foryou" - and you only need to spend $35! I used $20 in points and the 20% off a $39 order - paid something like $11.20.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I just saw someone else mentioned this too.

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They pay attention to the profiles only in large demographic ways, depending on what they are marketing or what the product partner wants from the feedback. That's really what I think. It may have started out as a way to customize more, but they are too big for that now. They really need to explicitly state how the profile really works. In the meantime, next time that happens, quote from BB's very own beauty blog, which promises something quite different and ask for a new sample or points:

http://blog.birchbox.com/post/16172972886/beauty-profile-key-to-finding-your-sample-match
THANK YOU! I feel exactly the same way - marketing drives a lot of how Birchbox works, not just members profiles. They are not transparent about this, which is what I think makes everyone angry - and understandably so.

birchbox should change the way on how to use your points wanted to make an order today but they take away 450 pts instead of 400 thats sucks I will loose the 50 points 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Dollysantana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

birchbox should change the way on how to use your points wanted to make an order today but they take away 450 pts instead of 400 thats sucks I will loose the 50 points 
frown.gif
I don't think that's correct.  They only take points in 100 point increments.  You would have the 50 remaining. 

Originally Posted by AngeBrooklyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Dollysantana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

I don't think that's correct.  They only take points in 100 point increments.  You would have the 50 remaining. 

yep what ange said should be correct. I had 305 points I used on my last order and it only applied 300, and left 5 points in the 'bank'. Not much but they add up!

Awesome, thanks for posting this! I think I have more of an incentive to order the Boscia BB cream and Eyeko purple liner I've been wanting. I have 200 points so with this code I'd only pay around $22!

Originally Posted by CrabbyMrsJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for  posting this. I never get this sort of thing in my e-mail. Sads. 

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Awesome, thanks for posting this! I think I have more of an incentive to order the Boscia BB cream and Eyeko purple liner I've been wanting. I have 200 points so with this code I'd only pay around $22!

youre welcome!

JessP: Do it! I have the eyko in black and I have used it every day since I got it. I ordered the Olive color but might end up ordering the Purple as well. It would especially be cute to use it for Halloween/Christmas/New Years parties or just going out on the weekend
smilehappyyes.gif

LOVE the Eyeko liner. I have it in purple and olive is on the way. I may accidentally have 2 olives on the way so may have one to trade soon. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Seriously though the stuff just does NOT budge! I plan to try wearing it to a water park this weekend because I have had great luck with it so far through some pretty trying conditions. I was never really a liquid liner girl (the Stila in my Birchbox was nice but didn't convert me) but the purple is beautiful and I can't wait to try the olive. If I can use it anyone can, LOL!

youre welcome!

JessP: Do it! I have the eyko in black and I have used it every day since I got it. I ordered the Olive color but might end up ordering the Purple as well. It would especially be cute to use it for Halloween/Christmas/New Years parties or just going out on the weekend
smilehappyyes.gif
Ha! I love the support we give each other here on MuT lol. I totally went for it! Yay! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I do have the Eyeko in Olive from my July BB and love it, so I def wanted to try the purple, as that is my eyeliner color of choice!

Originally Posted by Jackieblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOVE the Eyeko liner. I have it in purple and olive is on the way. I may accidentally have 2 olives on the way so may have one to trade soon. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Seriously though the stuff just does NOT budge! I plan to try wearing it to a water park this weekend because I have had great luck with it so far through some pretty trying conditions. I was never really a liquid liner girl (the Stila in my Birchbox was nice but didn't convert me) but the purple is beautiful and I can't wait to try the olive. If I can use it anyone can, LOL!
I totally agree! I was lucky enough to receive one (in Olive) in my July Bb and really enjoy using it! Can't wait to try the purple! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was really disappointed with my August Birchbox - so much so that I wrote a couple of emails to Birchbox. I was especially disappointed about the "deluxe" sized samples that I received (Stila card, Caldera soaps, Yube Moisturizer, Juicy perfume) that were all marked "Sample only. Not for sale." To me, when I see those words it means that those samples are meant to be given out for free. Sephora specifically had the Stila card and the Yube Moisturizer as free samples. Perfume vials like the ones that Birchbox always includes are given away at perfume counters all the time. And Caldera gives away samples of the soaps on their website (side note: if you wanted to sample the soaps but they weren't in your box, Caldera will send you a whole bunch of samples if you fill out their contact form requesting some). I wrote to Birchbox asking why I was paying for samples that were marked not for sale. Their response was that Birchbox works with companies to provide samples and that it was providing a service so that I didn't have to go round up the samples myself. I understand I'm paying for a service, but I'm also paying for the deluxe sized samples that Birchbox promises. I wouldn't pay $10 every month if Birchbox advertised itself as a service that rounded up free samples and then sent them to me...

I also asked why the values of boxes each month were so unequal. I think that if Birchbox chooses to include different full size samples each month (like in the August boxes with the Pixi products, eyeliners, Beauty Fixation products), that each box should get one full size sample - this would go a long way in terms of customer satisfaction, at least with me.  Their response to this complaint was better. The rep explained that Birchbox doesn't look at the values of the boxes for the month and compare them with each other. Rather, they look to make the total value (the lifetime) of a subscriber's boxes equivalent to every other subscriber's total value. So, ideally, we should all be getting the same total value out of our boxes when we look to the long term. The rep also made it sound like we'd eventually all get to sample the same products.

Overall, I think my emails were handled okay. I still want to know why they're including free, not for sale samples because I don't think that those should be considered deluxe sized samples. But now I understand how they handle the value of our boxes and it makes me feel better about keeping this subscription when there are so many other subs out there now.

End rant.
icon_sad.gif

I hope September is a better month!

Wishful thinking but I really hope they focus on fall colors and maybe include the new zoya fall collection! They are gorg and they have had a few zoya lines before so who knows it's a possibility :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mmm yeah, LONG TERM equality doesn't work well if people get pissed off and unsub after a month or so....just sayin'.

I agree 100%   I have been with BB for 2 months (Sept will be my 3rd box).  My 1st box was so bad but i stuck it out, August was ok (still no full size) but ok.  I hope September will be better.  I wish they would make the box's a little more equal.  I cant believe it when I see someone get several large size samples and a full size and then someone else gets a perfume vial and other tiny samples you can get for free at Sephora or other make-up counters.   Anyway's I hope all of us get good samples for September.  

By the way.... I'm  new to this board..So Hi everyone!  .I enjoy reading all the posts!!

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was really disappointed with my August Birchbox - so much so that I wrote a couple of emails to Birchbox. I was especially disappointed about the "deluxe" sized samples that I received (Stila card, Caldera soaps, Yube Moisturizer, Juicy perfume) that were all marked "Sample only. Not for sale." To me, when I see those words it means that those samples are meant to be given out for free. Sephora specifically had the Stila card and the Yube Moisturizer as free samples. Perfume vials like the ones that Birchbox always includes are given away at perfume counters all the time. And Caldera gives away samples of the soaps on their website (side note: if you wanted to sample the soaps but they weren't in your box, Caldera will send you a whole bunch of samples if you fill out their contact form requesting some). I wrote to Birchbox asking why I was paying for samples that were marked not for sale. Their response was that Birchbox works with companies to provide samples and that it was providing a service so that I didn't have to go round up the samples myself. I understand I'm paying for a service, but I'm also paying for the deluxe sized samples that Birchbox promises. I wouldn't pay $10 every month if Birchbox advertised itself as a service that rounded up free samples and then sent them to me...

I also asked why the values of boxes each month were so unequal. I think that if Birchbox chooses to include different full size samples each month (like in the August boxes with the Pixi products, eyeliners, Beauty Fixation products), that each box should get one full size sample - this would go a long way in terms of customer satisfaction, at least with me.  Their response to this complaint was better. The rep explained that Birchbox doesn't look at the values of the boxes for the month and compare them with each other. Rather, they look to make the total value (the lifetime) of a subscriber's boxes equivalent to every other subscriber's total value. So, ideally, we should all be getting the same total value out of our boxes when we look to the long term. The rep also made it sound like we'd eventually all get to sample the same products.

Overall, I think my emails were handled okay. I still want to know why they're including free, not for sale samples because I don't think that those should be considered deluxe sized samples. But now I understand how they handle the value of our boxes and it makes me feel better about keeping this subscription when there are so many other subs out there now.

End rant.
icon_sad.gif

I hope September is a better month!
That's a dumb answer though cause how do they know how long someone will sub for?  What if you're only with them 3 months and decide it's not for you--then you have to miss out on a possible full size or larger deluxe sample?  That sounds like a BS answer to me--there's no way they can predict how long someone will sub to BB!!

Originally Posted by mjkdior713 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a dumb answer though cause how do they know how long someone will sub for?  What if you're only with them 3 months and decide it's not for you--then you have to miss out on a possible full size or larger deluxe sample?  That sounds like a BS answer to me--there's no way they can predict how long someone will sub to BB!!
Not only is it BS because you don't know how long each member will stay, but the fact that we fill out profiles and they say they use them to determine your box. If you have a certain type of skin type then you would hope that they wouldn't give you something for it. I know it does happen, but don't say you use the profiles and then say well you will eventually get everything anyways. I have seen some full sized products that have never come back, so that statement is false anyways.

And I completely agree with the OP. I'm not paying $10 for them to get free samples for me, I'm paying $10 for what is advertised and that is deluxe sized samples. Way to get around the wording "not for sale" birchbox....

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mmm yeah, LONG TERM equality doesn't work well if people get pissed off and unsub after a month or so....just sayin'.
HA! You read my mind. 

Originally Posted by mjkdior713 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't really understand this answer either when I got it. It was a better answer to me than the one they gave me for why they include "not for sale" samples in their boxes. I think it would be a better business model in terms of customer satisfaction and retention if the boxes were valued more equally across the one month. But when I thought about it, Birchbox doesn't make these samples themselves and they do have to rely on other companies to provide samples and those companies probably can only provide a certain amount of samples each month given a variety of factors - costs, other products they have to produce, other customers, etc. So I can understand why there are so many box variations and why the box values are unequal and why they chose to value the boxes they way that they say they do. However, I think that if Birchbox has to deal with limited amounts of samples and they insist on looking at the long term value of a subscriber's boxes, they should try to make the differences in box values smaller, as I think the differences in box values is really large right now. I even gave them a suggestion in one of my emails - if they insist on including a perfume sample each month, instead of giving most subscribers a tiny vial of perfume, give some subscribers  a little bottle like other subs do with perfume samples. That way, the sample is more deluxe sized and other subscribers who get a little break from the perfume sample can get a different deluxe sized sample.

Back