Birchbox - September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by wels5711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

dang am I the only one who kinda liked the August box?
Mine was good too!  I am easy to please though.  I will try anything once and twice if I like it.  I find that they follow my profile pretty closely.

As far as shipping...BB hasn't been too bad, but I have the horrible experience that was Beauty Army to compare it to on more than 1 occasion I picking my next month and hadn't received the last.  Their samples were never all that either, no matter how I messed with their profile.

I look forward to my little brown box each month.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I canceled after 3 months of missses. I just signed up again...couldn't help myself! Hope its a good month :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
How long did you have to stay on the waitlist? Because I have been on it for about a month now. I'm hoping they invite me soon.

Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be okay with a hand cream. I really want to try the Caudilie hand and nail cream. I really hope they don't send pumpkin-flavored bars or packets of apple cider powder. Yick! Fall nail polish I'm not so sure about because sometimes Fall means grey or nude polishes and I wear bright colors all year.
I recommend just buying the Caudalie.  I'm a cheapo who gets sick of products quickly so sample sizes are typically perfect for me, but I couldn't get enough of it.  The best part is my husband thinks it smells like Fruit Loops, and anything that smells like a food he likes is typically a good thing!

I'd love to get some of the DKNY apple perfume this month :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I like Caudalie; have already gotten a full size of the hand/nail cream..it's good. I also just won a Pure DKNY Intense perfume from a beauty blog I follow! Can't wait to get and wear it, yay! Lol

Just so people know, Sephora is offering the 4 DKNY apple sample thingamabobers online as one of those free samples you can pick with any order. And I think you can choose up to 5 still. I'm getting mine todaaaay!!! Along with everything else I ordered lol.

I bought like 3 items and I'm getting like 14 samples THIS IS GOING TO FEEL LIKE CHRISTMAS!!

Placed an order for a Pangea Organics Discovery Kit and an Eyeko Eyeliner. Total for the order: 55.00 Total out of pocket was 14.00 I LOVE BB!

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Placed an order for a Pangea Organics Discovery Kit and an Eyeko Eyeliner. Total for the order: 55.00 Total out of pocket was 14.00 I LOVE BB!
Nice...can't beat using points and saving some $$!

Originally Posted by tameloy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I said before that this last box was my worst box to date (the Stila foundation card was my "big ticket" item). However, I used the card, despite being bitter over it. I LOVED it. I went to Sephora the next day and bought the full size. I have found my new HG foundation/concealer combo. As mad as I was at getting that sample, it paid off in the end. Once again, I think BB knows me better than I know myself. (scary)

Can't wait to see what September brings!
What is the foundation and concealer called?

Originally Posted by sillylilly05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is the foundation and concealer called?
It's Stila Stay All Day Foundation & Concealer. I LOVE it! It a bottle of liquid foundation, it has a separate container of concealer in the lid (which is removable), and it comes with a foundation brush.

I loved mine as well. I was extremely happy that I finally got to try Miss Jessie's Quick Curls, and I got a Pixi eyeshadow pencil amongst other things. It was a great month to have restarted, in my opinion.

I kinda liked my august box, it was my first one so i didnt really know what to expect.

August was my 8th box.  I liked it just fine.  Wasn't my favorite, wasn't my least favorite...had a few items I really liked, for sure, and nothing I was really disappointed about.  Even the perfume sample, I didn't mind - normally I hate getting perfume samples but I actually loved the smell of this one, so I got over it quickly :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

As for September...I LOVE fall.  Love everything about it.  The colors, the weather, the food, the holidays, the food ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />....it's my favorite time of year.  With that said, I'd LOVE to get a nice fall nail polish.  Zoya's fall/winter collections have several colors that look like just what I'm looking for, but I'm holding off buying anything direct from Zoya until I see what shows up in the boxes/shop. 

So, I have a love/hate relationship with BB (which doesn't seem to be news here).  I was finally sent my shipment in June, so September will be my 4th box.  My June box was fab, on time, had a decent full sized sample (cream liner/shadow pencil).  July, my BB was late but I still liked the products.  The customer service in July was not at all helpful with the lateness.  August, my BB had my "full size" sample missing (it was the brightening cleanser, which I really do like).  BB ended up sending me a separate box with the sample in it and it seems like it's full size...    Note:  This is my first post to this thread but I look forward to reading through some of the BB threads. 

The thing I like about BB is that it really does force me to try new products--the tanning towelettes (b/c I got FOUR) and some lip/cheek stain but the other issue is this hapazard appearance of the company--from the shipping issue, to one of the samples being damaged, to the missing sample.  As a company, they need to impliment some quality assurance techniques for damaged/missing samples.

The plus-side to BB is that I had referred 3 friends, plus all the reviews, so I had about 300 points to use (people with more points, I am jealous!) and I just ordered my Benefit Brow Zings and some headbands.  So with the 20% off coupon and my points, I only paid $2.

That said, I also realize I've spent $40 (including the September box TBD) which is what the cost of my order was.  I tend to think I could have gone to Ulta/Sephora and bought the Brow Zings and spent $70.  I reuse the old boxes for gifts and the samples I absolutely won't use will be part of some gift for the holidays.

Nope. I liked my box, too. It was far better then the previous few. 

help! i dont know if i should resubscribe for this box :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have a feeling it could be a good box since its birchbox's anniversary but not sure yet. I am very tempted any thoughts????

Originally Posted by Caligirl132 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

help! i dont know if i should resubscribe for this box :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have a feeling it could be a good box since its birchbox's anniversary but not sure yet. I am very tempted any thoughts????
I may be a terrible Birchbox enabler, but I say DO it!!!!! One month for $10.00 can't hurt, you still get points (that may add up to at least $10.00 in points if you still have a balance from your old account, AND it really could be an amazing month since it's their two year anniversary. They'll want to to it better than last year, and also be better than this month (which they have to know, MOST of us thought was lacking even though I know some of you loved it).

Moral of the story: one more won't hurt ;-) do eeeeeeet!

Originally Posted by Jazbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly you ladies and this community makes Beauty subs whether good or bad super awesome.

From the moment we get charged, get hints and or clues! You guys sure now how to make this into an Online adventure.

From then braking it down how the product worked or didn't worked this is a one stop shop for review updates!

I have fallen in love with so many different products I would have never ever used because of these subs and you ladies!

May the fall Season bring in AWESOME PRODUCTS!
As I said in another thread, we are a group of Rabid Box/Bag Ladies. It's not a job, it's a way of life (sometimes temporary). For $10-20 per month you get to treasure hunt, make odd assumptions, stalk makeup companies, rant, rave, and participate in the general madness that are included with monthly subscriptions.

Bring on September!!!
bud.gif

Originally Posted by wmb07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I have a love/hate relationship with BB (which doesn't seem to be news here).  I was finally sent my shipment in June, so September will be my 4th box.  My June box was fab, on time, had a decent full sized sample (cream liner/shadow pencil).  July, my BB was late but I still liked the products.  The customer service in July was not at all helpful with the lateness.  August, my BB had my "full size" sample missing (it was the brightening cleanser, which I really do like).  BB ended up sending me a separate box with the sample in it and it seems like it's full size...    Note:  This is my first post to this thread but I look forward to reading through some of the BB threads. 

The thing I like about BB is that it really does force me to try new products--the tanning towelettes (b/c I got FOUR) and some lip/cheek stain but the other issue is this hapazard appearance of the company--from the shipping issue, to one of the samples being damaged, to the missing sample.  As a company, they need to impliment some quality assurance techniques for damaged/missing samples.

The plus-side to BB is that I had referred 3 friends, plus all the reviews, so I had about 300 points to use (people with more points, I am jealous!) and I just ordered my Benefit Brow Zings and some headbands.  So with the 20% off coupon and my points, I only paid $2.

That said, I also realize I've spent $40 (including the September box TBD) which is what the cost of my order was.  I tend to think I could have gone to Ulta/Sephora and bought the Brow Zings and spent $70.  I reuse the old boxes for gifts and the samples I absolutely won't use will be part of some gift for the holidays.
I completely agree with you on pretty much all of this! My August box was the only one of five that I haven't totally loved, and I have used almost every sample I have gotten from the first 4 boxes. The points system is amazing! I'm letting them rack up and after September I'll have over 400 points! I also save all my boxes and use them to store things for now, but when I get enough I'm going to make something cool out of them. The issue I have with them is the inconsistency, with the customer service, the crazy shipping, whatever it may be. And I've only noticed this in the last 2 months. My July box was lost as well, and they were very helpful and nice, but It took an email and then a phone call after hearing nothing for 3 days for me to get a response. They really need to get their kinks worked out! They are a 2 year old company, so it's not like they don't know what they are doing at this point. I feel like it has a lot to do with the fact that they have grown so much so fast, and have so many subscribers, that they just can't keep up. BUT, again, they have been at this for 2 years now, so I feel like its really not an excuse.

Box madness for sure! I was so sad about the lack of spoilers last month. I hope we get a better "trail" to follow this month!

Back