Birchbox - September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The rep also made it sound like we'd eventually all get to sample the same products.
This is what I was told when I asked why they switched boxes on me. She said I'd get the chance

to test the products in the coming boxes. I don't want leftovers that everyone else has tried and 

reviewed and, more than likely, not liked. This is partly why I cancelled. MyGlam is also partly

why I cancelled Birchbox. I don't have to look at everyone's MyGlam and wish I'd gotten that one,

because I'm getting that one. I haven't bought a single full-size product that Birchbox has sent 

a sample of. That is not accomplishing anything.

Originally Posted by samvanz12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I surprisingly enjoyed my August Box.  I got the dreaded Eye Rock stickers, but will be saving those for Halloween or something.  I got the Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer which I didn't like at first, but now love. I already bought the full-size from the store. I enjoyed the Juicy perfume (despite me not really being a perfume person) and loved the Mentha Lip Shine.

Overall, I haven't been upset with any of my boxes yet (this will be my 4th month.)  I'm a college student, so $10 a month is a lot for me.  I love the samples, but the main reason I stick with BB is for the point system.  If I can rack up enough points, it's definitely worth it for me to stick around.  I'd be buying similar products anyway.
I got the same box as you and hated it! I hate the mentha lip shine, I was hoping I would get the lemon flavored one but I got the ultra mint or whatever. It makes my lips burn and it's really sticky. I don't like it at all. My best thing in the box was the perfume sample (at least it was a spray bottle). I hate the eye stickers and will probably just never use them or give them away, I don't dress up for halloween. I did like and use the juice face lotion and it lasted me a long time, even though it was such a tiny container. This box stinks in comparison to my last one. I feel like almost everyone got a good box in july. 

I hope its true we all will get to sample past products, I was lucky to get one eyeko liner through a trade and one by purchasing it from the shop, but I would LOVE to get another one in my box too! However, if that were the case, they wouldnt be telling people 'sorry, we ran out of that specific sample (that should have been in your box, was damaged on the way to you, etc) so here's some points'.

Awww I love love love those mentha lip shines.  I usually stock up when BBW is having a sale--I was sad BB ran out because I hate going into BBW, that place makes my asthma flare, boy I'm a fragile butterfly.  I'm a lover of all things mint though.

You know, to be frank, I don't care that items go through multiple box cycles--I don't view it as "leftovers". It's still something I have yet to try; this feeling would most likely change if EVERY month was NOTHING but the same items (*cough* Beauty Army, anyone?)

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know, to be frank, I don't care that items go through multiple box cycles--I don't view it as "leftovers". It's still something I have yet to try; this feeling would most likely change if EVERY month was NOTHING but the same items (*cough* Beauty Army, anyone?)
Have to agree w/ you Frank

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same. Birchbox is on probation with me. All of my boxes have been items that were really not my preference or items I would never use. I think a lot of us have different ideas of what makes a box good. Either this will change my mind or I will come to the conclusion that BB is just not my cup of tea.
Same! This is a make or break month for me!

Originally Posted by JamieO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really hope that they make September freaking amazing. After having so many upset subscribers in August, you would think they'd be trying to redeem themselves. I know a lot of people (myself included) threatened to cancel if things don't shape up, from the quality of the samples to the horrible customer service and the crazy shipping issues (which I feel can't be ALL USPS's fault since there has been so much in the past few months), to the inequality of the items in the boxes, they have some serious making up to us to do!! They really need to step it up if they don't want to lose good customers! I'm really hoping they have something awesome in store for their 2 year anniversary!
Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It wasn't a matter of liking or disliking I suppose. I got three items that I can't use due to overly sensitive skin (2 kinds of self tanning wipes and a brightening cleanser). Now it's not their fault but the fact remains that I ended up liking only one item out of the whole box (the razor). Yes it is about experimentation but I am finding I am items I can't even try because of ingredients a lot. Once again, not their fault but it is why I said that I am wondering if this is just not the box for me. I have other subs where I don't have this problem, or if I do it is usually only one item in the box . September is make or break for me.
Yeah, it's frustrating. I had one box where three of the items were a no go for me (I'm a nut allergy, got a larabar, and lavender, which the blender cleanser (to clean WHAT beauty blender? I might ask) and perfume had lavender)

I emailed another company and they said that they couldn't guarentee that I wouldn't have the almond oil products and so they felt wrong taking my money, but they hoped to change to acommodate allergies soon. I'll subscribe to that company, because of the CS alone!!

Originally Posted by tameloy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I said before that this last box was my worst box to date (the Stila foundation card was my "big ticket" item). However, I used the card, despite being bitter over it. I LOVED it. I went to Sephora the next day and bought the full size. I have found my new HG foundation/concealer combo. As mad as I was at getting that sample, it paid off in the end. Once again, I think BB knows me better than I know myself. (scary)

Can't wait to see what September brings!
I like the concealer, but I can't tell if I like the foundation because I could only use it once!! This is a product I'd have totally bought, if the sample had been bigger and I had been able to try it more than once.

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was really disappointed with my August Birchbox - so much so that I wrote a couple of emails to Birchbox. I was especially disappointed about the "deluxe" sized samples that I received (Stila card, Caldera soaps, Yube Moisturizer, Juicy perfume) that were all marked "Sample only. Not for sale." To me, when I see those words it means that those samples are meant to be given out for free. Sephora specifically had the Stila card and the Yube Moisturizer as free samples. Perfume vials like the ones that Birchbox always includes are given away at perfume counters all the time. And Caldera gives away samples of the soaps on their website (side note: if you wanted to sample the soaps but they weren't in your box, Caldera will send you a whole bunch of samples if you fill out their contact form requesting some). I wrote to Birchbox asking why I was paying for samples that were marked not for sale. Their response was that Birchbox works with companies to provide samples and that it was providing a service so that I didn't have to go round up the samples myself. I understand I'm paying for a service, but I'm also paying for the deluxe sized samples that Birchbox promises. I wouldn't pay $10 every month if Birchbox advertised itself as a service that rounded up free samples and then sent them to me...

I also asked why the values of boxes each month were so unequal. I think that if Birchbox chooses to include different full size samples each month (like in the August boxes with the Pixi products, eyeliners, Beauty Fixation products), that each box should get one full size sample - this would go a long way in terms of customer satisfaction, at least with me.  Their response to this complaint was better. The rep explained that Birchbox doesn't look at the values of the boxes for the month and compare them with each other. Rather, they look to make the total value (the lifetime) of a subscriber's boxes equivalent to every other subscriber's total value. So, ideally, we should all be getting the same total value out of our boxes when we look to the long term. The rep also made it sound like we'd eventually all get to sample the same products.

Overall, I think my emails were handled okay. I still want to know why they're including free, not for sale samples because I don't think that those should be considered deluxe sized samples. But now I understand how they handle the value of our boxes and it makes me feel better about keeping this subscription when there are so many other subs out there now.

End rant.
icon_sad.gif

I hope September is a better month!
Interesting. Now I bet if I called, I'd get a different answer!!!

I agree with tinkerbll I also got those samples which basically said free but I'm sticking with Birchbox because it is always a mystery and it does introduce me to new brands.

Even with all my complaints, Birchbox's point system and frequent discounts are what keep me subbed every month. If they change the point system, it would be more difficult to justify keeping my subscription.

I didn't like that they changed the Plus 2 Sample pack deal so that I'd have to buy 2 products from that month's box...

I dunno.  I got a gift subscription last Christmas that will probably be ending in November.  I used to think "Oh, this is awesome!  I'll ask for it AGAIN at Christmas!"  Now I'm not so sure... I've been pretty "meh" lately, too"

I have been a BB since January 2012, and I can honestly say I have yet to get a good box.  I always seem to get the weird items that are in a few of the boxes, and never the full size cool stuff I see on Youtube.  I am very disappointed with BB and will not be subscribing after my sub has ended.

if September isnt good then i will cancel and move on to something better, i have been wanting to try  SS but i dont have money to add another sub. August was my first month so im trying to stay positive with this

Subtotal $150.98 Shipping & Handling $0.00 Discount (Free Shipping, 20% Off For You, 20foryou, Free Sample Pack with Purchase) -$38.20 400 reward points -$40.00 Grand Total $72.78 More than half off. I love you Birchbox.

Originally Posted by KatiebuglovesBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Subtotal $150.98

Shipping & Handling $0.00

Discount (Free Shipping, 20% Off For You, 20foryou, Free Sample Pack with Purchase) -$38.20

400 reward points -$40.00

Grand Total $72.78

More than half off. I love you Birchbox.
wow you got a deal lol thats great :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by TXSlainte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm very curious as to why some people are getting a 20% off code, and some are not. 
I got an email 3 days ago with this title: 

Find Beauty Bliss With 20% Off Best Sellers
and the code 20foryou was inside it - good for full-size orders over $35. Expires today.

Originally Posted by jkwynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got an email 3 days ago with this title: 

Find Beauty Bliss With 20% Off Best Sellers
and the code 20foryou was inside it - good for full-size orders over $35. Expires today.
I don't even remember the last time I got any kind of code. 

Originally Posted by TXSlainte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't even remember the last time I got any kind of code. 
A lot of my BB emails get sent to my spam folder, which I only look at MAYBE once every other month. I've missed so much stuff... I don't get it, though, because it's only some of my BB emails - a lot of them do end up in my inbox. Weird. :T

If anyones interested, groupon goods is selling a 4oz container of gloss moderne for $19 including shipping.

Latest posts

Back