Birchbox September 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I remember voting for Lady Alabaster, Delirium and Hedge Fund.
These were my picks, too.  I love purple and green polish!  That color combination always reminds of the time in college that I dyed my hair bright purple and wore a forest green corduroy coat until someone broke into my car and stole it (they left hundreds of dollars' worth of tapes -- this was 1994, so they were worth actual money -- and took a $35 corduroy barn coat).  My more comic book-oriented friends referred to me as "the Joker."  My penchant for BRIGHT RED LIPSTICK (yes, that's been one of my Things for decades.  My favorite at the time is the long-gone Estee Lauder shade Regal Red) didn't help deter them from this *at all*.  

Anyway.  They announce the shades tomorrow!  So excited!  

So it may be a bit early for this... But my thought is maybe next months box will be themed around fashion... We could get some Marc Jacobs in our boxes along with the Ruffian polishes. It will be fashion week in NY and it is a big fashion magazine month (think about the size of Vogue's September issue). I know it's early to start guessing but it's just an idea. Dream big!

Originally Posted by emvee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it may be a bit early for this... But my thought is maybe next months box will be themed around fashion... We could get some Marc Jacobs in our boxes along with the Ruffian polishes. It will be fashion week in NY and it is a big fashion magazine month (think about the size of Vogue's September issue). I know it's early to start guessing but it's just an idea. Dream big!
I've been waiting for the day that Birchbox would finally start sampling Marc Jacobs perfume. Who knows if it will happen but I'll keep waiting!!

I've been saying ever since the Ruffian collab was announced that I thought it would be in September and that it would be FNO-themed. So far, I'm half right!

Just got an email this morning. It looks like Ruffian polishes won't be part of BB subscription. Just for their shop only? WHY?!

Just got an email this morning. It looks like Ruffian polishes won't be part of BB subscription. Just for their shop only? WHY?!
I m on mobile couldn't copy entire email but it said available at BB's shop.

The email says we'll receive a sample. (Second paragraph)

The email said that every subscriber *will* get one and that, hey, if you want to get them now, here's the shopping link.

I thought the video said it would be in each box so I don't think we need a sad face yet.

Ohh I'm wrong we will get one in our sub box! Yay yayay Heres the message at bottom I mean literally bottom of an email in tiny prints!!! Even more exciting? All subscribers will receive a Ruffian sample in their September Birchboxes! But why wait till then? Be the first to get your hands on these exclusive shades.

Ohh I'm wrong we will get one in our sub box! Yay yayay Heres the message at bottom I mean literally bottom of an email in tiny prints!!! Even more exciting? All subscribers will receive a Ruffian sample in their September Birchboxes! But why wait till then? Be the first to get your hands on these exclusive shades.
Lol yeah I just got the email and went back to edit my post. Happyface!

Looks like the brights won!  The "Crowdsourced Collection" is Delirium, Fox Hunt, and Hedge Fund. 

From the BB site:  Inspired by the African violet, Delirium is a bright, saturated purple with an eye-catching metallic finish. Fox Hunt is a rich orange with a touch of shimmer—an updated alternative to the classic red. The money-hued Hedge Fund is a sophisticated olive foil with gold shimmer that catches the light just so.

Yeesh, $10 for 5mL? That's even more absurd than the other new one they introduced that was 5.5mL for $8. This is getting ridiculous. I don't think there's a lot of difference between say, 14mL and 15mL, but there's a huge difference between, say, 5mL and 15mL. That's 3x as many manicures. :

At that price, a full size (15mL) = $30! that's more expensive than the luxury brands. NOOOOO thank you

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks like the brights won!  The "Crowdsourced Collection" is Delirium, Fox Hunt, and Hedge Fund. 

From the BB site:  Inspired by the African violet, Delirium is a bright, saturated purple with an eye-catching metallic finish. Fox Hunt is a rich orange with a touch of shimmer—an updated alternative to the classic red. The money-hued Hedge Fund is a sophisticated olive foil with gold shimmer that catches the light just so.
These are sooo pretty! I'm excited

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeesh, $10 for 5mL? That's even more absurd than the other new one they introduced that was 5.5mL for $8. This is getting ridiculous. I don't think there's a lot of difference between say, 14mL and 15mL, but there's a huge difference between, say, 5mL and 15mL. That's 3x as many manicures. :

At that price, a full size (15mL) = $30! that's more expensive than the luxury brands. NOOOOO thank you
No kidding! I'll take one in my box, but not gonna buy them. Sheesh! 

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No kidding! I'll take one in my box, but not gonna buy them. Sheesh! 

I'm just hoping they are actually sending a 5 ml bottle to us, and haven't figured out some novel new way to send a one-time use manicure!  (haha, I can only imagine a foil packet of nail polish with a tiny brush stuck into it!  Oh, the horror!)

I'm just hoping they are actually sending a 5 ml bottle to us, and haven't figured out some novel new way to send a one-time use manicure!  (haha, I can only imagine a foil packet of nail polish with a tiny brush stuck into it!  Oh, the horror!)
Waaaay back in, hmm, 1984 or '85, Cutex had itty bitty sample vials, probably about 2ml. I vividly remember getting a super bright cherry red and painting my nails with it while listening to _Like a Virgin_, which had just come out a couple of months earlier. I haven't seen nail polish vials that small since, and I keep wondering when they will make a comeback.

I used to buy those teeny tiny "Bon Bons" nail polishes. I don't remember the exact size, but they were teeny. It would be nice if we all got full sized ones, but the email says "receive a sample" and not "receive one of these" so I bet it's small.

For a size comparison, the Ruffian nail polish is .17 fl oz, which is smaller than the tiny Sally Girl polishes at Sally Beauty. The Sally Girl is .18 fl oz. Oy. The "full size" option is tiny, so I can't to see how microscopic the sample is.

Back