Birchbox September 2014 - Spoilers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that liked the Not Soap, Radio body wash, I saw this last night

Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 2.07.47 AM.png

And there's now 8 different scents in the store! I hope one of the new scents are in some of the boxes!

And there's now 8 different scents in the store! I hope one of the new scents are in some of the boxes!
I would be VERY HAPPY to get more of these. I already bought the BB-exclusive, as soon as it went up for sale. It really does make me happy to use it. It's an 'I can do anything today and I'm gonna smile the whole day as I do it' kind of scent. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm not going to choose and just be surprised. I'm not really interested in the Davines, though. I've had a few of their things as both box items and pick-twos, and didn't really like them. I got the Liz Earle a couple of months ago: pure love! I bought the Liz Earle toner, which is awesome, too (and it's alcohol-free!).

I've never done an add-on, but those bracelets are kind of cute. Too bad the ruffian colors are boring.

OOOoHHHHhh! Do I get this and hoard it for myself? Or do I send it to my girlfriend who loves lemon-sugar scented stuff? Or both? I bet this is something my husband would use, too.  Maybe Birchbox will put together a value set for buying the whole range. Please!

PYS choices are easy for me this month: don't want hair oil and don't like the LE cleanser.

But do I double up on the other two choices and risk duplicate boxes? Hmmm

really not feeling any of the PYS choices this month, half of them I've already received and I'm so oversaturated with hair products. I might just skip this month.

Those interested in Pura Vida bracelets - I was able to refer myself to receive a 50% off code from puravidabracelets.com and then shipping is only $3...

Kind of interesting, those bracelets are all over the specialty stores around here. They are a San Diego company based out of a very upscale area, La Jolla.

Birchbox has sent me the Davines twice now (one in my regular box, one on a one time box a signed up for the bonus points). The first time I was swamped with shampoo/conditioners to get thru so I traded it away. Since I then received it again in a separate box, I figure BB gods were trying to send me a strong message. I caved and tried the darn thing out. Good thing I did since I fell in love with the smell. It could seriously not do anything for my hair and I would still use it because I'm that big of a sucker for scents. lol Super excited to see that as a PYS!

Birchbox has sent me the Davines twice now (one in my regular box, one on a one time box a signed up for the bonus points). The first time I was swamped with shampoo/conditioners to get thru so I traded it away. Since I then received it again in a separate box, I figure BB gods were trying to send me a strong message. I caved and tried the darn thing out. Good thing I did since I fell in love with the smell. It could seriously not do anything for my hair and I would still use it because I'm that big of a sucker for scents. lol Super excited to see that as a PYS!
What does it smell like?  I've read that some people love it and others hate it, but no one that's I've read says what it smells like.

What does it smell like?  I've read that some people love it and others hate it, but no one that's I've read says what it smells like.
I was trying to come up with a way to describe what it smells like and I'm kind of at a loss. You can count me in the side that dislikes the smell. I think it smells kind of musty, but then like they tried to cover it up with a little bit of floral. Someone who likes the scent should also try to describe it though, because it is obviously pleasant to some people.

So, I've received 3 out of 4 of the PYS products already on my account and the remaining one doesn't really interest me. Now I just have to decide if I leave it up to chance (knowing me I would probably get the one remaining product anyway) or pick another Liz Earle cleanser, which I love, but have the full size of. Maybe BB should add a "I don't want any of these" option?

I was trying to come up with a way to describe what it smells like and I'm kind of at a loss. You can count me in the side that dislikes the smell. I think it smells kind of musty, but then like they tried to cover it up with a little bit of floral. Someone who likes the scent should also try to describe it though, because it is obviously pleasant to some people.
Haha, yeah musty and plasticy.  It was very strong.  I had to rewash my hair because I could not stand the smell.  Everyone is different though, I know a lot of people like it.

Haha, yeah musty and plasticy.  It was very strong.  I had to rewash my hair because I could not stand the smell.  Everyone is different though, I know a lot of people like it.
I like the smell.  It reminds me of those herbal clothing sachets that you can get to make your sock drawer smell nice.  I can see how people might get "musty" from that, if it reminds you of old closets!  I personally would call it more musky than musty.

Too me it is pretty difficult scent to describe but I really don't get musky. Maybe im biased but I get a pretty crisp scent from it, def. would agree with it smelling herbally-ish. It kinda reminds me of that smell when it's about to rain and you smell moist soil.

I never get the choose your sample e-mails for some reason, so I'll have to e-mail them when some of you start getting yours.

Can we please also just talk about how hard my eyes rolled into the back of my head every time Rachel was talking in that video? I'm sorry she's absolutely the worst with the fake over-enthusiasm. I feel like she talks to the subscribers like they're toddlers.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels that way about her videos. I really wish they just put the information I need in a blog post or something. I would much rather read it.

I also have one regular and one gift sub - my gift sub has never received the PYS emails, so I'm assuming that they are not eligible. Personally, it doesn't bother me that much - I just keep it as a surprise. But, you could try e-mailing them and seeing what they say. And if so, definitely report back! 
I have gift yearly subscription, and I received PYS emails. I would try emailing Birchbox if you don't get yours.

really not feeling any of the PYS choices this month, half of them I've already received and I'm so oversaturated with hair products. I might just skip this month.
Not feeling it either. I wish they included make up product, or a nail polish.

I was pretty excited for the Davines Oi Conditioner, but now after hearing all of these musky or musty comments on the scent, I'm not so sure. Does it smell similar to the Davines Love Conditioner? I tried a foil sample of that last night. Didn't love it, but didn't mind the scent either.

I'm hoping that we'll see products from Not Soap, Amika, and Nügg Beauty this month!

Latest posts

Back