Brand Loyalty/Product Snob?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MollyC2153 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm telling you, gotta find the MEN who work at mac. The girls do nothing for me, but I've ALWAYS had great service from the guys who work there. 
YES! I went back home & went to Ulta and there was a gay guy who was checking people out. He was super nice and I asked him that I saw that Ulta was giving out samples and he was like I am so sorry but we are out of all those samples. But instead he gave me about 5-6 different other samples all the way from Juice Beauty sensitive Peel to this hair protectant. But I have never received that kind of service from any of the women working at Ulta ever before even when I asked. 

1 MAC store, 1 MAC counter at The Bay (dept store) in the same mall. 100ft from each other..NO guys!! All women!  witches, all of them.  The ones at The Bay are a little nicer probably because they have an institution's image to uphold and not just MAC's.

Originally Posted by MollyC2153 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm telling you, gotta find the MEN who work at mac. The girls do nothing for me, but I've ALWAYS had great service from the guys who work there. 

The MAC people down south are nice.  I met a really nice MAC artist at the Macy's in Tyson's Corner and she apologized for the rude behavior of MAC employees.  I also go to the MAC in Charlottesville in Belk and the people there are extra friendly too.

When I lived in NYC they were total snobs, especially the ones at Bloomingdales and Herald Square.  I hated it when they walked past me without acknowledging me too.  That also applied to a lot of the Sephora locations in NYC too.  The only MAC counter that I bought stuff from was the Macy's in the Parkchester of the Bronx. They knew me well lol. The Sephora here in Charlottesville is overly helpful.  They ask me every five seconds if I need help and it's borderline annoying but at least I know that they're willing to help me, if needed.

I find that there are some types of makeup items that I'll only buy from certain brands because I trust the color and quality.

For Example:

MAC: The ONLY products I'll use on my face. My skin tone is hard to match and they are the ONLY thing that matches.

Maybelline: masacra 

Personally I think MAC is a terrible brand to be loyal to. Their price increases and propensity to put out more products that just aren't good is almost astounding. The only things from them I like buying are their pigments and chromaline pencils because they've never let me down. 

I try not to tout any one brand too much. But OCC I do. Their products are amazing for the pricepoint, so you honestly can't go wrong with products that may last you into your grandchildren's lifetime as far as amount of product, and pigmentation, for a brights-loving gal like me, is drool-worthy.

yea thats weird. i remember when i was looking for a good foundation, and having tons of trouble because i am so pale..the girl at the mac counter basically told me i was a lost cause because if i couldnt find a match in MAC, i couldnt find a match anywhere. then i went over to the estee lauder counter and that lady was telling me all about how snooty the mac girls were. it was like a catty competition. ridiculous.

anyhow, i use all sort of brands, obviously. i used to be a brand snob in highschool with my shoes/clothes. i was an athlete, and it was nike EVERYTHING. i even ordered my own volleyball shorts so they would be nike. lmfao so i guess i can kind of relate.

I had a roommate in college who was a Mac snob. She only bought Mac and acted like it was the greatest. She was also crazy and had severe emotional issues and an eating disorder. I think she was just all around obsessive about things. ANYWAY... lol I've bought my fair share of Mac products and honestly don't understand the hype. The foundation broke me out BAD! I thought I just had bad skin, but noooo. As soon as I stopped using the foundation, my skin was perfect. Also, the eyeshadows I've bought are just meh at best. I find that Urban Decay, Too Faced, and the like have way better quality. Plus, I'm not a fan of the way the girls at the counter act. I hate when people at stores treat me like they're better. I'm just like, uhhh you have no reason to talk down to me since I'm the one keeping you in business. 

To each their own. I agree with you on the whole price increases thing, but OCC also increases their prices. The lip tars went from $12 to $16 within a year. 

Originally Posted by ScarletNight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally I think MAC is a terrible brand to be loyal to. Their price increases and propensity to put out more products that just aren't good is almost astounding. The only things from them I like buying are their pigments and chromaline pencils because they've never let me down. 

I try not to tout any one brand too much. But OCC I do. Their products are amazing for the pricepoint, so you honestly can't go wrong with products that may last you into your grandchildren's lifetime as far as amount of product, and pigmentation, for a brights-loving gal like me, is drool-worthy.

To each their own. I agree with you on the whole price increases thing, but OCC also increases their prices. The lip tars went from $12 to $16 within a year. 
I think I've got an answer for that one. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> OCC prices on liptars went up with the new packaging, which is nifty and holds a little more product. So more volume, increased price.

True, they went up from .27 oz to .33 oz but I don't think that's enough of an increase to justify a $4 price hike. Perhaps the nifty little lip brushes they include now has something to do with it...

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I've got an answer for that one.
smile.gif
OCC prices on liptars went up with the new packaging, which is nifty and holds a little more product. So more volume, increased price.

True, they went up from .27 oz to .33 oz but I don't think that's enough of an increase to justify a $4 price hike. Perhaps the nifty little lip brushes they include now has something to do with it...
Yep, forgot about those! Anyhow, it's just the price of doing business. In regards to MAC and pricing, I'd assume part of their pricing for collections is due to having to pay famous MUA's to attach their names and why not? It's still a very popular brand that appeals to many. They hike the prices, but people are still willing to pay.

MAC is the Nickleback of cosmetics.

That said, while I used to be absolutely DEVOTED to Urban Decay, I really feel they've gone downhill, so I don't think I currently own ANY of their stuff. There doesn't seem to be one brand that I like EVERYTHING by these days; I have various HG products, and companies where I own several different types of product, but there is not one line that inspires total devotion in me, since each brand seems to excel in different areas. 

I could never just stick to one brand! Heck every time something new and beautiful comes out I wanna buy it and I don't care what brand or how cheap it is, as long as its good and i like it! I do however purchase a lot of products from the same brand if I love their stuff.. But I love to venture out and try new things from all kinds of brands, its exciting! 

I personally have only purchased a few of the Mac eye shadows that were on sale because I would never buy full price from them..way too expensive where I'm from! I find that there are other cheap brands out there that are just as good, if not better. I'm not all about image and follow blindly because the media tells me what to love and what not to.. If it's a good product, then I'll buy it, if not then I wont...no matter what the label is :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the only thing I'm a snob about animal testing. i'll try a variety of products from a variety of brands but stick to those that are cruelty free. i have my preferred and HG items, but if it's cruelty free, fits my budget (or stretches it juuuuuuuust a little) and is something i'm convinced i need, of course i'm going for it whether it's sold at CVS or Bloomingdale's.

I used to be this way with foundation.  I only used Sisley in the past.  Now that I no longer live near a Neimans, it isn't as accessible, therefore I started trying lower end makeup stores (dept., sephora, etc.).  I am so happy I did!  Sisley still has nice skincare items, but I DON't feel their prices are worth it when there are so many other less expensive, quality, alternatives.   I recently tried the CG Olay foundation, and was very impressed.  It was my first time using a drugstore foundation, and I would definitely repurchase.

Originally Posted by skylola123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can go into Sephora and test everything out but unless you live near an Ulta you can't try drugstore makeup at a Walgreens or CVS. For me that is a downside because I don't know what I am getting myself into.
I agree with the Walgreens and CVS not being able to test things out b/c i need to test things out before i buy .. I like that you can test things out in my local target. I have never use MAC just not in the budget. I also love UD but i like trying other brands as well and having great fun in that. My devotion goes to DSW
smile.gif

I guess I am a make up snob, I use only mid or higher end brands like UD and MAC and never drugstore brands. But i don't just use ONE high end brand in particular, I use MUFE, UD, MAC, some Japanese counter brand alled lunasol, NARS etc etc. So I think I am a make up snob in a sense that I don't use drugstore brands as many are made in china. And I don't use made in china cosmetics because of their notorious reputation....

Originally Posted by geeko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess I am a make up snob, I use only mid or higher end brands like UD and MAC and never drugstore brands. But i don't just use ONE high end brand in particular, I use MUFE, UD, MAC, some Japanese counter brand alled lunasol, NARS etc etc. So I think I am a make up snob in a sense that I don't use drugstore brands as many are made in china. And I don't use made in china cosmetics because of their notorious reputation....
I used to use mostly drugstore, then ventured into mid-range and high end. Now I mostly use mid to high end. For me personally the performance is usually better.

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well that's just silly. If she's going to be haughty, she should at least pick an actual luxury brand like Burberry or Tom Ford. MAC is like, one step up from drugstore makeup.
I love you! I always ask why they would be stuck on a low end Estee Lauder product, maybe they still wear their days of the week panties their mom bought them when they were in 2nd grade.

Originally Posted by Yolanda Horton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with the Walgreens and CVS not being able to test things out b/c i need to test things out before i buy .. I like that you can test things out in my local target. I have never use MAC just not in the budget. I also love UD but i like trying other brands as well and having great fun in that. My devotion goes to DSW
smile.gif
One of our local Targets actually has a Makeup artist on weekends! Its awesome.

Back