Brand Loyalty/Product Snob?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought I was over my brand loyalty until I was cleaning up the other day and found a pile of L'Occitane products, some still unopened or used twice at most!

That was an embarrassing sight, that money I could have spent discovering new brands.

IMG_8008.JPG
But it's so pretty!  And their products smell so good.  I love the lemon scented items especially.  I only end up seeing L'Occitane in airports and usually I've already spend over my budget on the trip and so don't end up buying much from them.  At least you'll most likely end up using most of those things up eventually . . . So many products, so little time, lol.

I'm not loyal to one brand. I love Benefit and Tarte and I'm rarely disappointed with their products. I like trying different brands though. MAC is a brand I've never tried. I've checked their products out but never seem to be drawn towards them. Nars is another brand I have yet to try but there is a beautiful neutral palette I'm going to be getting of theirs next payday. My makeup collection is a wide variety. If you don't venture out of your favorite brands you can end up missing an amazing product.

I like to try lots of things but, I find that I generally stick to things sold at Ulta because it's readily available. I only got into makeup about 2.5 years ago even though I'm 34. There is only 1 Sephora local to me. It's in a JCPenney and the customer service is terrible. I went into a Mac store once totally ready to spend a lot and become a devotee and all I got was treated badly. I was ignored and when I finally did get waited on the mua said something spotty about me obviously being new to makeup and the brand. From then on I figured I'd spend my money elsewhere. I get tempted to try things from Mac collections and I remember the experience and decide to keep my money. All I own from Mac are 2 msf and fix+ and they were gifts.

I am not loyal to a single brand, but I am definitely a brand name snob. The cheapest make up I would ever even consider putting on my face is MAC but typically I prefer to use Chanel, Le Métier De Beaute, Cle De Peau Beaute, Tom Ford, YSL, etc. Blame my mother! She started me on super highend makeup from the time I was a pre teen!

Originally Posted by BajanPrincess /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not loyal to a single brand, but I am definitely a brand name snob. The cheapest make up I would ever even consider putting on my face is MAC but typically I prefer to use Chanel, Le Métier De Beaute, Cle De Peau Beaute, Tom Ford, YSL, etc. Blame my mother! She started me on super highend makeup from the time I was a pre teen!
omg my mom was like that too, lol. i used to go with her to the makeup counters at the mall as a kid and all of the makeup reps knew my mom on a first name basis. i'm just now getting into drugstore makeup, as of last year and i'm going on 30, smh

omg my mom was like that too, lol. i used to go with her to the makeup counters at the mall as a kid and all of the makeup reps knew my mom on a first name basis. i'm just now getting into drugstore makeup, as of last year and i'm going on 30, smh
Sometimes I dream about how much money I could save by venturing into the drugstore. Once I'm a poor college student I will probably be Pro Drugstore make up lol. I'm planning on becoming a doctor so I will probably be dead broke and in debt until I'm in my thirties!

Originally Posted by BajanPrincess /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sometimes I dream about how much money I could save by venturing into the drugstore. Once I'm a poor college student I will probably be Pro Drugstore make up lol. I'm planning on becoming a doctor so I will probably be dead broke and in debt until I'm in my thirties!
aww. i went to school less than an hour away from my mom and my mom would pick me up from my dorm and we would go to the mac counter together when i was an undergrad. the only makeup items that i continue to buy in the drugstore are bb creams (i love maybelline's bb cream) and mascara

aww don't say you'll be broke and in debt until you're in your 30s. say that you'll be prosperous and successful. life and death are in the power of the tongue. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by norther /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About 3 months ago I went to a MAC counter in Nordstrom with the intention of picking up a few lipsticks for my mum's birthday and there was only one girl, who was chatting away on her phone. She ignored me for 10 minutes while I stood 3 feet away. I just gave up and walked off. I'd actually thought it was because I'm often mistaken for a 12-14 year old and unfortunately a lot of salespeople, especially at pricier stores, decide I'm not going to really buy anything and that I'm a waste of their time/effort.
Jeez I know exactly how you feel! I am often ignored or not even given a second glance probably because of how young I look, and I usually don't dress up for the mall, but I don't mind it because I usually don't want help. I always get convinced to buy something I don't like and get to hear false information about products. It's fine because even if I was planning on buying something I'd just go elsewhere or come back another time. 

I feel like some people only use MAC products because that is all they know, or like everyone has said it's a collection thing. When I was in middle school the only "good" makeup I knew was MAC, everyone said MAC was the best of the best. I don't know why, is it because they have their own store? The first face powder I bought was MAC and it was the beginning of my journey to acne and bad skin. I don't favour MAC, and I get nervous to go in there because if I just want to look around, I end up getting recommended a ton of other products that I didn't come for. 

I actually don't have a majority of a particular brand at all.. I mean, I love UD but I only have 2 palettes and 1 eyeshadow, 1 liner. Surprisingly I have around 5 or 6 mac shadows, 2 palettes and 2 paint pots, but I've never bought them full price and either got them from someone or got it at their warehouse sale.

My sister is practically flat broke all the time yet she uses 90% MAC cosmetics. Some people are just FANS of a brand I'm not sure if it's being a product snob, but more of a brand fan.

I do like their lipsticks, and highlighter. But I wasn't a fan of their foundation when I tried it, and their mascara wasn't anything special to me either.

They do make a really really nice oil cleanser though! I used it about 7 years ago, and loved it. But I haven't repurchased because I have soooo much face stuff to use up right now that it's just sad.

I like a lot of different kinds of makeup, so I can't imagine just using everything by one brand.  Plus, I have super sensitive skin, and frankly, MAC stuff has really broken me out.

I also think - regardless of the brand - it's really tough to try to use everything, soup to nuts, from one line.  There's going to be something, somewhere, within a certain brand that isn't going to work for you.

I used to be brand loyal to mac but i have learned to experiment. I have found brands that i never knew existed like meow cosmetics.

Back