Brand Loyalty/Product Snob?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty loyal to Urban Decay for eye shadows and liners.  Their brand and style also resonates with me.  I also love how their shadows work on and for me - they last and I can blend them to get the look I love.

That said, I still try lots of other brands...just in case another one is even better.  And I'm not definitely NOT exclusive to Urban Decay for the rest of my face.

I've seen a very different, um...attitude with people who adore MAC.  Sometimes it feels borderline arrogant to me, but more power to them.  But that attitude by the sales clerks, fans, and brand turns me off.  And there is no MAC counter within two hours of me, so that makes it really easy to pass up when UD is at the local Sephora about 30 minutes away.

Speaking of which...Urban Decay F&F sale starts tomorrow!  Yay!!!

I agree... when you have skin sensitivities it's limiting enough! I love all the colors and tints and smells and feels of different products. It's amazing what's out there!!!!

I've used MAC and wasn't so snobbish about the experience... it looked great on!!! but I developed a sensitivity to the line, It was too harsh for me. :-(

Now, I tend to stay with the fruit pigmented foundations... and I stray a bit with eye colors. I'm just so mesmorized by all the hot, glitzy colors!!!

There comes a point of time where u get bored of a certain brand and u start venturing out trying other brands.... I guess I am in that stage now. Can't wait to buy more NARS, it's finally opening a counter in my country this Nov. I m so goin to be broke XD More blushers for me XD

I love MAC, but I find that with recent collections, there seem to be nothing unique in particular, while I do still buy most MAC blushers from collections (that's another story, coz I have a compulsive obsession with BLUSHERS...) i have toned down a lot in buying MAC. Coz I jus feel that there's nothing unique in particular about it. If they would so come out with another collection like Venomous Villains, or Peacocky, I would so buy up most of the stuff. But of late, the collections have been blah >.< Even the marilyn collection was pretty boring to me.

That aside, While I love MAC, I don't think i can every have a collection that's pure MAC ONLY. coz there are other great stuff by other brands out there which I like to try to. I would say that my collection is 65% MAC and 35% other brands. (Even Freelance makeup artists don't use everything exclusively from a certain brand, not withstanding normal consumers like us)

Waiting for something to tempt me..........

But I am very particuluar in where my cosmetics is made in. Sorry I sound like a snob, but if it's made in China, I won't touch or buy it even though it may be good. I heard too much bad stuff about things manufactured in China. Anything that goes onto my face, Definitely won't be coming from China. They can even manufacture fake milk, fake eggs and all...eww... It just has a very notorious reputation sorry to say. I gave away a POP beauty palette once, coz I bought it without seeing where it was made in. And when I turned over and saw the made in china thingy, i gave it away. Yep I am snob, I am crazy but no made in China cosmetics for me.

Trust me, If one day MAC were to manufacturer their cosmetics in  China (not packaging i mean but the product itself), I would immediately stop buying.. I don't mind brushes being made in china, but stuff that i put on myself. No way. I wonder if anyone else is as like me... look @ where their cosmetics is made in before buying

But i am very product loyal to MAC's prep plus prime skin base visage. It's my HG primer and I won't be changing it. But i do tend to buy and test diff foundations from diff brands though. I find for foundations, MAC foundies are slightly too yellow for me (I am already yellow as banana, and I don't need to be more yellow lol!). Plannin to buy the YSL foundation next mth. got a sample of it, tried it, loved it and it's on my to buy list next mth.

Originally Posted by geeko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I am very particuluar in where my cosmetics is made in. Sorry I sound like a snob, but if it's made in China, I won't touch or buy it even though it may be good. I heard too much bad stuff about things manufactured in China. Anything that goes onto my face, Definitely won't be coming from China. They can even manufacture fake milk, fake eggs and all...eww... It just has a very notorious reputation sorry to say. I gave away a POP beauty palette once, coz I bought it without seeing where it was made in. And when I turned over and saw the made in china thingy, i gave it away. Yep I am snob, I am crazy but no made in China cosmetics for me.

Trust me, If one day MAC were to manufacturer their cosmetics in  China (not packaging i mean but the product itself), I would immediately stop buying.. I don't mind brushes being made in china, but stuff that i put on myself. No way. I wonder if anyone else is as like me... look @ where their cosmetics is made in before buying
So what's the difference, to you, between a the cosmetic made in China versus a cosmetic brush or packaging made in China?

Diff is cosmetics like lipsticks, eyeshadows and foundations they sit on my skin, So those are the ones I am very picky about. So no made in China stuff for that matter even though it's from a reputable drugstore brand or what. The Chinese are notorious about replacing inferior stuff in their products. e.g. fake milk, fake eggs.  So I won't buy stuff that I apply on my face and that gets absorbed into the skin. For brushes, I don' t mind as long as it doesn't shed much. I have a MUFE Kabuki brush that's made in China and it's excellent. Jus that I am paranoid with whatever that I put onto my face.

Quote:Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One of our local Targets actually has a Makeup artist on weekends! Its awesome.

I dont think ive evern been to my target on the weekend im have to see if they have one too that is awesome

OHHHHH I hate you...(as I reach for the UD favorites in the task bar w/ the mouse)...lmao

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Yolanda Horton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OHHHHH I hate you...(as I reach for the UD favorites in the task bar w/ the mouse)...lmao

Haha!  Right?!?  Both yay and ugh.

I like different MU and MAC was a short lived for me ...why? the eye colors. Inglots puts them to shame. The e/c that I bought must have all been the worst in color payoff and trying to get the color on my brush was very difficult. I have high end to low and love trying all types of MU.  If it's a snob thing or not only she knows. LOL I still get some of the lip liners and L/S and a blush here and there.

i don't get the mac hype either. my makeup story is kind of interesting, especially since i've only started collecting in the past one to two years now, but boy do i regret splurging on a bunch of mac crap-- including their brushes. i mean, i could have had so many other beautiful brand(s) brushes, but i just had to rush into mac and buybuybuy. (bless nars and their kabuki brushes!) ahh! i've discovered though, that the face responds to many different products at once, and while i do consider mac's select cover-up concealer to be a holy grail, i'm glad that i'm not tied down to one specific brand right now. of course, my love affair with nars is rapidly deepening by the month, so. idk. and, yea, my "collection" is teeny, tiny. two shelves in my medicine cabinet to be exact. hehe. how women can afford to hoard higher end brands, i'll never know, but to each.

I love discovering new brands. There are great products at every price point and it's fun to find new things!

I dont believe any brand thing...i use cosmetics rarely and i never stick to 1 brand i chose whatever i like or recommended from someone.I think some people use expensive brands to just show off.

I don't like to limit myself to any brand, each brand has good and bad products no matter how high end or expensive they are. For example, I hate Chanel eye shadows but love their foundation...etc. 

When you find HG products stick to them but not to the brand

When I was in High School and most of my friends first started exploring 'big girl' makeup MAC was what everyone gravitated to. It was kind of the Abercrombie and Fitch of makeup. Decent, never going to make you look bad, but overpriced. Most girls I know now that still use MAC products just aren't that into make up so they like MAC because its 'trendy' and is never really a dud.

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well that's just silly. If she's going to be haughty, she should at least pick an actual luxury brand like Burberry or Tom Ford. MAC is like, one step up from drugstore makeup.

iagree.gif

I never really cared about what make up I was using other than my powder and it was Clinque always!  Well after turning 30 and still having massive breakouts I went to Sephora and tried Bare Minerals and I love it.  I don't get brake outs anymore and solely use BM for my face however, I do use other brands for my eyes and bb cream.  I only just got Mac here and while its cost alot I don't feel the need to use it bc I like other cheaper products.  I use UD, Too Face, Costal Scents, and some others in Sephora.  My face I stick to BM it actually improves your skin.

I thought I was over my brand loyalty until I was cleaning up the other day and found a pile of L'Occitane products, some still unopened or used twice at most!

That was an embarrassing sight, that money I could have spent discovering new brands.

IMG_8008.JPG

I thought I was over my brand loyalty until I was cleaning up the other day and found a pile of L'Occitane products, some still unopened or used twice at most! That was an embarrassing sight, that money I could have spent discovering new brands.
IMG_8008.JPG
Lol, it is a great brand!

I tend to stick to a few certain brands (UD and Benefit mostly) but I still try things from other brands! I'm just more likely to stick with what I know.

Back