Can you remember the first make-up item you wore?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading all of these, I feel really lucky because my parents always let me wear makeup, even as a 3-year-old. As a mommy's first daughter, I guess it must have been exciting for her! I was also always very gentle with makeup (unlike my four siblings who love nothing more than watching a lipstick get smushed).

It's funny because the ONE thing my parents wouldn't let me have was markers. I wanted crayola markers sooooooo badly and tried to sneak them home from my kindergarten classroom.

Speaking of rollerballs, though- my very first "signature" product was a rollerball shimmer sky-blue eyeshadow. I wore it in the first grade to feel better about not having my ears pierced like the other girls did.

The very first HIGH END  product I had was an Estee Lauder clear lipgloss that was sooo expensive- and so shiny. I was being a brat at the counter and the lady sold it to my mom half-price. My mom was very angry and made me wear the gloss every single day until it ran out.

With the exception of all the makeup I used for dress-up as a kid, mine was a Maybelline tinted lipbalm called Kissin' Coolers. It was pink and peppermint flavored. This was closely followed by a Bonne Bell sheer gel blush that my mom always used. Timing-wise, this was around 1993.
I used to love that Bonne Bell gel blush! When I was a home-care worker in the 90's, it was the only thing that disn't smear and run all over my face.

Quote: Originally Posted by Stitchie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I remember having countless LipSmackers!

But I clearly remember in high school a friend giving me one of her Urban Decay Zero eyeliners because I never wore makeup and all of my friends were at least wearing eyeliner! haahha

Urban Decay Zero, started the obsession for me =)
Lip Smackers were a status symbol when I was a kid. They used to be much larger, with an attached cord to wear around the neck. Some of the girls in my class wore 4 or 5 at once. The nuns hated it but allowed it because the Buffalo winters tend to be so harsh that one chaps very easily; it was the only thing exempt from the makeup rule (no color cosmetics before 7th grade/age 13.)

They were a status symbol because we lived in a very small rural town and attended a tiny parish school. The nearest store that sold Lipsmackers were two towns over. To own a Lipsmacker showed you not only had money and permissive parents, they proved the ability to get out of the village every once in a while.

Maybelline kissing potion roll on and dr pepper Bonne bell lip smackers and avon perfume circa 1974

My actual first makeup was this cream eyeshadow that some older girl had lost or ditched on the bus home from school. One tube was canary yellow, the other lime green and both were screaming with frost, because 1973. I put it on (badly) and my brother ratted me out to my mother, earning me some harsh punishment. A few years later when I turned 12, she decided to allow me full makeup and bought me some foundation, shadow, gloss and blush from Avon's teen line, making certain it stayed within the school's makeup rule (pink or blue shadow only, pink gloss only, no full-coverage lipstick.) I was still breaking the rules because you had to be either in 17th grade or 13, whichever came first.

Oh how I love nostalgic threads like this! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> the first makeup I wore was wet and wild glitter gel from the tube at the roller rink in the bathroom on the dl.my "bad" friend would always sneak a tube and we would all huddle in a stall and strategically apply it all over our faces!i was probably around 10 and I realize I'm dating myself with the roller rink! Lol

My first real makeup was clear mascara, probably Maybelline or Covergirl followed by Covergirl blush. My mom was always really concerned about my appearance and encouraged me to shave and do my hair and makeup at a young age. Like I remember getting a perm when I was in 5th grade and she had me start using a tanning bed when I was in middle school.  I had to draw the line at her wanting me to get veneers (I have nice teeth to start with!) when I was in high school.  It's weird because she isn't vain or anything about herself, I think she just liked to fix me up because I was the first child 
rolleyes.gif

Annnnd I just re-read this and realized my mom sounds horrible and creepy and I promise she isn't! lol please tell me someone else's mom did this stuff. 

My first real makeup was clear mascara, probably Maybelline or Covergirl followed by Covergirl blush. My mom was always really concerned about my appearance and encouraged me to shave and do my hair and makeup at a young age. Like I remember getting a perm when I was in 5th grade and she had me start using a tanning bed when I was in middle school.  I had to draw the line at her wanting me to get veneers (I have nice teeth to start with!) when I was in high school.  It's weird because she isn't vain or anything about herself, I think she just liked to fix me up because I was the first child  :rolleyes: Annnnd I just re-read this and realized my mom sounds horrible and creepy and I promise she isn't! lol please tell me someone else's mom did this stuff. 
My mom started letting me dye my hair when I was in second grade. It started off with like 1 or 2 highlights and by 6th grade my entire head was highlighted. I started tanning in middle school but wasn't allowed to wear makeup until I was 16. Do you feel better now?

Quote: Originally Posted by KellyKaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mom started letting me dye my hair when I was in second grade. It started off with like 1 or 2 highlights and by 6th grade my entire head was highlighted. I started tanning in middle school but wasn't allowed to wear makeup until I was 16. Do you feel better now?

Ohh I remember highlights galore on everyone in middle school, lol. Even the boys with their frosted tips 
laughno.gif

I don't think it affected my self-esteem or anything, I've always been pretty comfortable with myself.  I don't think she did it to be like...controlling or anything or to make me feel like I wasn't good enough, I just think it was her way of trying to "spoil" me? 

I received a play makeup set when I was about 8 years old. I would apply really pink blush, bright blue eye shadow and bright pink lipstick which were all cream based. No wonder my mom told me not to wear the makeup outside of the house because I looked like a hot mess lol

I wasn't including nail polish in my answer earlier, but I was wondering: To the 80's kids, does anyone remember Bo-Po Nail polish? It dried kind of rubbery and you removed it by peeling it off. I had it in purple and hot pink when I was around 6 or 7 and I LOVED it!

Edited to add: I also received a gift set of Love's Baby Soft around age 8. I adored that stuff :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlin1209 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My first real makeup was clear mascara, probably Maybelline or Covergirl followed by Covergirl blush. My mom was always really concerned about my appearance and encouraged me to shave and do my hair and makeup at a young age. Like I remember getting a perm when I was in 5th grade and she had me start using a tanning bed when I was in middle school.  I had to draw the line at her wanting me to get veneers (I have nice teeth to start with!) when I was in high school.  It's weird because she isn't vain or anything about herself, I think she just liked to fix me up because I was the first child 
rolleyes.gif

Annnnd I just re-read this and realized my mom sounds horrible and creepy and I promise she isn't! lol please tell me someone else's mom did this stuff. 
Don't worry! My mom didn't go that far, but she did force me to get highlights, and, when I went through my tomboy phase in grades 8 and 9 where I didn't want to wear any makeup, she threw a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge fit and accused me of being trans and told me people would think I was a lesbian...

Ironically, my ninth grade school picture is the one I look the best in, because she did my hair.

Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I wasn't including nail polish in my answer earlier, but I was wondering: To the 80's kids, does anyone remember Bo-Po Nail polish? It dried kind of rubbery and you removed it by peeling it off. I had it in purple and hot pink when I was around 6 or 7 and I LOVED it!

Edited to add: I also received a gift set of Love's Baby Soft around age 8. I adored that stuff :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
heck yeah i remember bo-po! oh bo-po, how i loved thee.i remember it came in a fancy box with like,fake lipstick and a little perfume mini.i think maybe i have a flashbulb memory of some gift set.bo-po rocked the house.and kissing koolers!i was a watermelon girl, the green and pink swirl-whaaat! oh lord i could go on and on.orange jhirmack shampoo anyone?salon selectives?!!oh my gah salon selectives smelled so good.

I wore pubble-gum pink lipgloss my friend gave me. Lol my mom freaked out. It looked like I kissed Princess Bubblegum

Quote: Originally Posted by honeybee7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

heck yeah i remember bo-po! oh bo-po, how i loved thee.i remember it came in a fancy box with like,fake lipstick and a little perfume mini.i think maybe i have a flashbulb memory of some gift set.bo-po rocked the house.and kissing koolers!i was a watermelon girl, the green and pink swirl-whaaat! oh lord i could go on and on.orange jhirmack shampoo anyone?salon selectives?!!oh my gah salon selectives smelled so good.

Oh, I think I had that bo-po, fake lipstick and mini perfume set, too! It was Tinkerbell wasn't it? That hot pink bo-po is definitely what came to mind when I saw this thread.

As far back as I remember was Maybelline blue mascara and some Wet N Wild blue eyeshadow.  Oh it was a hot mess, such was the early 90s.

oh it was most definitely tinkerbell!it's alllll comiiing back to me noooowwww.a little celine dion reference since we're old.HAHA.let's all light a candle and pour out a bartles and jaymes strawberry margarita for the glamour and elegance that was cover girl softsatin pink lipstick circa 1989.

Quote: Originally Posted by PDubA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  As far back as I remember was Maybelline blue mascara and some Wet N Wild blue eyeshadow.  Oh it was a hot mess, such was the early 90s.

I'm pretty sure everyone was required to own at least one very blue item from WnW in the 90s. Mine was the polish, but that was already middle school / high school territory. 

Aside from my tinkerbell, I always thought of this one cream eyeshadow palette my mother had as mine. It was a round palette and the shadows were in heart-shaped pans. I was very suspicious of why my mother claimed they were definitely hers and in no way meant for me. These were very obviously some fantastic kind of body paint / finger paint. She did eventually give them to me, though I would need to ask her if it's because she no longer used them or because I'd gotten my little paws into them one too many times. 

Yep tinkerbell peelie polish! For "real" makeup, wet and wild nail polish in a bright pink, and wet and wild mascara that came in a white and hot pink tube.

Quote: Originally Posted by honeybee7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! Yes! I had the watermelon Kissing Koolers, too (but remember how if you used too much of that one, it would turn your lips kind of grey? LOL). While the peppermint was my favorite, I also remember a pink and white cotton candy one. And I loved Salon Selectives! There was a volumizing one that was kiwi-something. Smelled sooooo good!

Back