Can you remember the first make-up item you wore?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow. I can recall going to the department store with my stepmom in 7th grade and her getting me some powder from Estée Lauder. I wore it to school (Catholic) and got in trouble. I hadn't thought about that in years.

I think mine was a 6$ pressed powder from Covergirl and Black eyeliner. No mascara or foundation? Lol. I think I was 14. My mum never has worn makeup, and I kinda got into it gradually from my best friends influence, lol

As to the Catholic school question, we have to keep in mind that this was in the mid-to-late 1970's, and most of the teachers I had were older women pushing retirement age, a mix of nuns and laywomen. In their day, "nice girls" didn't wear makeup, or at least didn't go above and beyond a pink lipstick and powder compact, and then it was seen as being for much older ladies. They begrudgingly allowed it in my school, only for seventh-grade and up, or from age 13, whichever was first, and the colors allowed were very limited. Makeup was seen as rebellion; bright colors were for girls considered "fast" and that was what parents were paying the parish to discourage. Good Catholic schoolgirls even into the 70's were not taught to think and reason, but to obey.

Back