Can you rock red lipstick?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, you look hot.  Well, not for everyday... but defo for a night out with the girls! LOL!

As for me, it has to be a deep maroon rich red, not a candy apple or orange red. 

Yes, actually, I sort of agree with this. That red may not be quite the best version of red for you, but honestly, I can tell that you suit strong or deep lip colors more than pale or "nude" ones. The "nude" lip looks a little too pale, honestly. (sorry.) I would guess that you are either an absolute True Winter, or a Deep/Dark season (either Deep Winter or Deep Autumn) or a Clear/Bright season (Clear Winter or Clear Spring.) I'm thinking probably either True Winter or a Deep/Dark season. So, you will balance stronger and slightly deeper lip colors well.

I, by the way, am a Deep Autumn so I can wear red lipstick too. I just find it to be kind of a pain in the butt to find the version of red which is exactly right for me. It needs to be a warm "spicy" red, that is perhaps just slightly muted or brownish. Also the best finish is matte, or maybe just a semi sheen so that makes finding the right red a pain too. A lot of the reds they make don't fit that description. Honestly, the most flattering lipstick I ever bought (that looked surprisingly natural too!) was like a terra-cotta or russet kind of color with a cream finish (it was opaque and not shiny anyway.) Absolutely perfect for my Deep Autumn coloring! It was from Caryl Baker visage and was discontinued. I have never been able to find another lip color that was as perfect ever since! If any of you know any really good terra-cotta/russet lipsticks can you recommend them please? They're really hard to find!

Edit: I know this is slightly off topic, but just in case anyone was actually interested:

To figure out if you're a True Absolute Winter, try on these lipsticks: MAC lipstick in Plumful and Rimmel Lasting Finish lipstick in In Vogue. Also, look for anything that looks like a fairly, bright,clear (clear means fully saturated) version of cool blue-based pink (it should look like Barbie pink, or like the color of a Barbie car, also sometimes called candy pink.) That type of color, as well as the MAC and Rimmel lipsticks I listed should look completely natural on you. (Much more so than anything labeled "nude.")

To see if you are a Deep/Dark Winter, try on these lipsticks: Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey and Burt's Bee's lip shimmer in Fig or Raisin.

Also, look for anything that looks like the color of dark red wine (ie: most lipsticks called "wine" or "burgundy.") Unfortunately I can't think of specific names but I'm pretty sure that L'Oreal has some good wine colored lipsticks that you should be able to try. On Deep Winter almost anything that is dark and burgundy colored will turn out looking completely natural on your lips. (Again, much more so than anything labelled "nude.") You should also make note of the fact that if you're a Deep/Dark season almost all of the True Absolute Winter colors that I recommended will look like they have way too much blue in them for your skin tone. The Deep Winter ones I just listed are somewhat more balanced, not quite as fully cool, although still blue based.

Now, if you're like me and you're a Deep/Dark Autumn, all of the above will look like they have way too much blue in them. If you're a Deep Winter the color of dark red wine will look like a perfectly natural lip color on you. If you're a Deep Autumn however, it will just look like you stained your lips drinking red wine (which is exactly how it appears on me.) To see if you're a Deep/Dark Autumn try on these lipsticks: MAC lipstick in Brickola, and Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks in Spicy Cinnamon and Rum Raisin. These should appear as completely natural looking lip colors on you. For me, the Revlon lipstick in Spicy Cinnamon actually matches the color of my flushed skin..so it looks super natural!

As I said, you may also be a Clear/Bright season. In your case, Changing faces, I suspect you're not. I suspect the palette colors will come out looking too neon bright on you, as they do on me, but you can try them too if you wish. (although if you fear red you will probably be terrified of these.)

To see if you're a Clear/Bright Winter try MAC lipstick in Girl About Town and also Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick in Cherries in the Snow. If you're a Clear/Bright Winter these colors will (amazingly) look completely natural and like colors that should be on your face. No one but the Clear Winter can wear these, I guarantee you. On any other season, they look crazy. If they look natural on you at all, you've figured out your season, end of story, lol! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'll list some Clear Spring and True Spring colors anyway too though: to see if you're a Clear Spring try Clinique lipstick in All Heart and also Revlon matte lipstick in Strawberry Suede (if you can find either of these.) In general, any red that is REALLY CLEAR AND BRIGHT and look like the color of a strawberry will pretty much look like a color that should naturally be on your face. On anyone else it will look neon bright. You can also try Revlon Color Burst lipstick in Coral. For True Absolute Spring, also try MAC lipstick in Crosswires and and Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick in Siren. If you're a Spring they will look completely natural. On anyone else they just look far too orange and perhaps too neon bright. On me they're both too orange and too neon bright.

I can, although I don't regularly (don't like wearing too much makeup on just school days or whatnot). I've been told it looks good on me. As long as it matches skintone, atleast :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i think red looks pretty cute on u.. for myself i hate it i feel like a clown lol but i think mayb i just have to figure out how to combine colors on my face like what eyeshdow or shud i wear eyeliner and all but made i it look good ll in all
smilehappyyes.gif

Well, I would never wear the red so, it doesn't matter!  As far as the nude goes, I just started wearing that a couple weeks ago, I normally wear a darker burgundy/pink color but since I'm wearing so much eye makeup all the time, it's too much for right now...

I'm new to red lipstick. Like a true bright red. I look good in wine/burgundy colors, but I would like to find a true red that suits me. I've been told in the past at makeup counters that I need a blue based red.  I'm really interested in MAC's Ruby Woo and Russian Red.  Ruby Woo is described as a 'vivid blue-ish red and matte' and Russian Red is described as 'intense blue-ish red matte'.  So which one do I pick? I'm drawn to the Russian Red, but I'm no where near a counter to swatch any of these colors.  I have pink undertones, but counter act the redness with my foundation and powders. I'm in between light and medium. In Clinique foundations I am a neutral color-Superfit foundation in Shell for winter and Petal in summer.  I haven't tried MAC's foundations yet. I do have a couple of colors, NC 25 and NW 25 to try, I just haven't gotten around to doing it. It seems as of late that whenever I'm doing my makeup I'm in a hurry and don't have time to try new things. I need to stop and take the time and try them out and figure out if I have the right color or need to be exchanging them.  Does anyone have any suggestions on which of the reds I've mentioned would look right on me? I don't know if it matters or not, but I have blonde hair/blue eyes. If you think I'm not looking at the right reds, suggestions are appreciated.  I look good in Clinique's Sassy Spice for example and that's a burgundy red. But like I said, I really want to find a red red. Like a pin up red, if that makes sense. I look good in MAC's Angel, if that helps at all. Just giving a pink reference. I feel like I'm just rambling now and not giving any important info. Oh, I do look good in a red red from elf that i think is called cherry tart, but I could be wrong on the color name. I just know I think I look good and hubby loves red lips and I would really like to find a great one to surprise him with!

ChangingFaces--You do look better in the red than in the nude.  That's both my husband and I's opinion.  You look a bit washed out in the second photo.  And I really like your hair in the second photo.  The puckered face/lips are funny and sassy. Keep on being silly and having fun!

Im gonna take a pic of me tomorrow or something wearing the normal darker lipstick I wear and see what u guys think, like i said this nude look is very new, like 3 weeks, i never wore a nude lipstick like that in my life normally..always darker lipsticks just never red, that red seriously looks ridiculous, it looks like wax lips, for real lol.. that retarded face im making dont help, honestly i hate looking at the damn pic, makes me cringe, lol. 

I wonder what your "Boyfriend" thinks about your beautifully red lips??? Perhaps you can make your lips appear smaller by applying the liner inside your lip line and not put quite so much lipstick in the corners of your mouth. . . Then, I feel you will enjoy the look more and can be comfortable looking so beautiful with red lips. . .  

Marilyn in Dallas

Originally Posted by me0wmix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"vacations", eh? 
icon_neutral.gif

Yeah.. fun filled all men vacations where he doesn't have to worry about what he's gonna wear, and it's very cheap to go there financially but the mental expense is very high.  LOL

Okay guys, I am going to do my face up tonight and I will try some other red colors I have in my makeup kit and post the picture,  but I'm telling you guys, I don't even think I would leave the house to get coffee with red lipstick on!  I feel like everyone would stare at me and be like, "Ew what does that lady have on?"  Hahaha..

i think you look great with both red and nude lips :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i find it hard to rock red lips. it really depends on what clothes i'm wearing! and i usually just wear a warm toned, deep red. still hard though!

I wish I was bold enough to wear red lipstick. I'm used to bold eyes, so I need to keep the lips softer, but even without having heavy makeup, I still can't wear red lipstick at work. There are others who can pull it off, but I don't dare.

I find I can do it at night if it's a stain (NARS Vesuvio is my HG, but I blot it down), or something sheerer (VG Cyndi) or more berry (Sophisto, Capricious, Total Wow!). Anything really orangey-red (Revlon Strawberry Suede or NARS Bloodwork gloss) looks silly on me. TBH, I think during the day, it's just way too much on me. Maybe it's a hair thing (I'm blonde), I don't know. I love red lipstick on brunettes or dark-haired girls, but I generally think it looks a little silly and too Courtney Love on me... :rolleyes: I'm more drawn to bright, or pastel Barbie pinks (Rimmel Pink Blush, VG Gaga, Snob, YSL RV#19, NARS Hot Wired & Schiap, Illamasqua Nubile) if I want a bold lip. I think I just have too much surface redness in my skin to pull off red a lot of the time...

I love red lipstick. In fact, I love all lipstick.

If I could just find a type that stays on my lips and not on my teeth, or, like, soaks into and runs off my lips.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes!! I love a red lip!! My favorite red is by Wet n Wild, 911D Spotlight Red. It's gorgeous!!!

I love red lipstick! I wear it as my day-makeup even... My normal makeup that i use if im just going in to town is the standard red lipstick-heavy eyeliner!

I love the 50's retro pinup look, so thats how i normaly wear my makeup.. Im gonna see if i can find some pictures of it and post it
smilehappyyes.gif

ok, so i didnt find any good pix of me.. On the first the lipstick isnt very RED red, but it gives an idea of how i wear my makeup.. on the scond one i am i bit tipsy and my makeup is starting to wear of, but its a fun picture si i figured id post it anyways
patches.gif
 the third picture is old and not a closeup, but i remember i was very pleased with the makeup when i did it! 

34646_411377340737_533170737_5054668_6804805_n.jpg

197158_10150108812490738_533170737_6858209_5196597_n.jpg

n548177749_1784113_2305.jpg

Red lips, imo, are like big butts...Majority are hot and people will stare because it sticks out. It's true not everyone can wear red lips, but everyone has a "shade" I believe that suits them. You...have a great look for red lips! Maybe it just feels like too much for you? I love red on you. The darker the better I think. A deep red....yes, you totally rock it. I like it better than the nude! You are beautiful!

Back