Can you rock red lipstick?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totiki, I dig your style AND your threads. Are you drinking an adios MOFO??

Totiki, your lips in the second photo are exactly like Elizabeth Taylors lips on the recent cover of Peoples Magazine. . . They are shaped soooo special. . . narrow and full and blossoming. . . Congratulations. . . 

I'm getting ready to be bold...or try to be bold....I'm finally going to do it and dive in and buy a red lipstick! I am ordering MAC's Russian Red.  I am at least 8 hrs away from the nearest MAC store/counter and I'm ordering without trying! ahhh! I hope it looks good.  If not, I can always exchange.  I'm in between light and medium for skin tone and I'm a cool.  I instantly burn in the sun! Thank goodness for self tanners! LOL  So I hope I am picking the right red. I did take the time out and talked with a girl from MAC and that's even the red she suggested I would like. I want like a 50's pin-up look.  And if it doesn't turn out that way, then I'm sure I can rock it with my attitude.  Isn't that what it's about? How you have fun and rock it out? I think so! I am just going to have fun with it and see where it takes me.

ok, so i didnt find any good pix of me.. On the first the lipstick isnt very RED red, but it gives an idea of how i wear my makeup.. on the scond one i am i bit tipsy and my makeup is starting to wear of, but its a fun picture si i figured id post it anyways
patches.gif
 the third picture is old and not a closeup, but i remember i was very pleased with the makeup when i did it! 

>
I know this is supposed to be a Red Lipstick Fan thread, but forget that - you MUST give the secrets to those lashes! Which mascara? :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love wearing red lip stick. Its such a power color for me!  I

Here is the thing, I think that all women can wear red lipstick, they just need it modified.

@ CHaNGiNGFaCES:  You have wonderfully full lips that most women openly covet, but this fullness in conjunction with a bold color you are not used to wearing can be overwhelming.  When I do other girls' makeup and they are afraid of bold lipstick looking funny on their lips I do a little trick to tone it down:

I make the lips appear smaller by extending a lip primer outside the lip line or preferably using a liquid cover up to blend into the lips and then line them with a reverse (nude colored) lip liner and reshape the lips the way you would like.  this will also prevent the dreaded bleeding lipstick effect.  I suggest using a blue toned- matte red. Beware or orange based reds...they can wash you out depending on your skin tone.

Cheers!

I'm not sure if I can or not. I know that I don't feel particularly comfortable wearing it, because it's so bold. I have always focused on my eyes, and done a natural lip, gloss or a neutral color. Recently though I have gone crazy with buying different red lipsticks so we'll see what happens. I have a problem with feathering so next on my list is Borderline by Too Faced haha.

I dont know what feathering is, I'm 30 and I never had it happen, how does it happen to someone?  Are you just born like that, meaning like your lips just feather or is it with age or what?

Originally Posted by CHaNGiNGFaCESx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont know what feathering is, I'm 30 and I never had it happen, how does it happen to someone?  Are you just born like that, meaning like your lips just feather or is it with age or what?

I have no idea why it happens to me! It's very annoying. I am 24 so it has nothing to do with age for me at this point, but feathering definitely DOES happen as you get older. It can be avoided with reverse lip liners, regular lipliners and lip primers.

Also, my lips are very unbalanced and doll-like. My bottle lip is much larger than the top, giving them a heart-shaped appearance. My cupid's bow is also very pointy, so if I wear bold lipstick I tend to look like Betty Boop. Haha. I wish I was one of those people who just looked natural with lipstick on.

@Changing - I honestly like the pic of you with red lips BETTER!! Your skin looks like it has such a healthy tone!! & I agree @Marilyn, try lining the inside of your lips. Girl I totally think you could pull this look off!! I understand how you feel though, I usually wear nude lips or bare lips with sheer gloss. I bought "cheap" red lipstick to try it out at home first to see if it would be a good look for me.... I have yet to brave it though. I'll try it out tonight though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@changingfaces, I too like the red on you, don't care for the nude though. Puckering up doesn't help the red look good either.

It looks like you went way outside your natural lip line with the nude, and combine that with a lip liner that's a bit too dark for that shade of lipstick, and you see why you get the wax-lips look.

I know the current fashion is for either strong eye makeup and toned down lips or vice versa, but I think that if you wear the red lipstick, you might want to emphasize your eyes just a little more, and yes, this would be a look for a night out on the town, not an everyday look. A slightly darker, smoky eye would work with that red lipstick on you really well, IMO.

Okay, well firstly, I had said that the red lipstick pucker face was a joke and that it makes me look like I have those candy wax red lips on.  Secondly, I am not going out of the line with the second lipstick, I have natural big lips and have NOOOOOO need or desire to go out of the line.  Also, everyone keeps calling that lipstick nude but it's not.  It's 3 lipsticks mixed together with a darker shade on the outer lip and a lighter shade just in the center, and then a different colored gloss over it...

Also, I will never wear this red lipstick or any red lipstick period, around here that's very 80's and high hair guidette looking.  Unless I was some sort of Dita/pin up girl, it would  be okay, otherwise the only people I see wearing lipstick in this area is John Gotti Mob Wives or a washed out 80's rocker.  Also, I hate red lipstick.  I just posted this picture as a goof to see if anyone else can actually pull red lipstick off?  Cuz not everyone can!

Originally Posted by CHaNGiNGFaCESx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Feathering is when tiny lines form at a right angle to your lips, and some lipsticks will bleed into the lines. I know that a lipliner can help some. Setting lipstick with powder and then re-applying can work too.  

It's due to age and also due to smoking cigarettes, smokers get them at a younger age, and worse than non-smokers.

Originally Posted by Chris Elias28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love wearing red lip stick. Its such a power color for me!  I

Here is the thing, I think that all women can wear red lipstick, they just need it modified.

@ CHaNGiNGFaCES:  You have wonderfully full lips that most women openly covet, but this fullness in conjunction with a bold color you are not used to wearing can be overwhelming.  When I do other girls' makeup and they are afraid of bold lipstick looking funny on their lips I do a little trick to tone it down:

I make the lips appear smaller by extending a lip primer outside the lip line or preferably using a liquid cover up to blend into the lips and then line them with a reverse (nude colored) lip liner and reshape the lips the way you would like.  this will also prevent the dreaded bleeding lipstick effect.  I suggest using a blue toned- matte red. Beware or orange based reds...they can wash you out depending on your skin tone.

Cheers!
I have a Cargo reverse lip liner pencil and wasn't really sure the purpose or how to use it.  Thanks for the explanation! I was using it correctly. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I kinda threw that pencil in the back of one of my drawers.  I will have to dig it out since I did bite the bullet and purchased MAC's Russian Red l/g and l/s.  I also got the Redd lip pencil to go with. I'm very excited to get my chance to "rock some red!".  What type of blusher would you use on the days that I wear red lips?  Do I go for a more bronzy look or stick with a more natural look? I'll be honest, I don't usually go for the "natural" look. I really don't mind people "seeing" that I wear makeup.  Just my own personal preference. I don't cake it on like a clown, but I do like to wear my makeup a bit heavier.  Maybe I should look into how to do a pin-up look.  I'm sure I can find something on YouTube to get the wheels turning. LOL Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Thankyou so much everyone:) Im not sure what i am drinking on the pic, i usualy go to the bar and say: Give me something green! 
laughno.gif

Maris Crane: I use the Maxfactor mastepiece max :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Im going out today and i am wearing red lips tonight to, so il take a picture and post it so you can see how i look
patches.gif

Back