Canadian subscription boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap I hope not because I just subscribed last week! Also emailed and received a reply within a day saying I would be receiving may, June and July boxes.

I've been really worried about this too. A few weeks ago there were emails sent out from CJ that the Glossybox affiliate program was closing, but the way they worded it made it seem like Glossybox was closing. When I inquired about this to both CJ and Glossybox, it was only CJ that responded back that it was a mistake and that it was just the affiliate program closing. I was glad someone got back to me, but you'd think Glossybox would've as well. Especially after I told them that coincidentally I just upgraded my subscription to a 6 month one. If they are going out of business I requested a refund and got no response. After seeing the comments on Facebook, it doesn't look too good to me!

This pisses me off to no end. If they are having issues WHY ARE THEY ACCEPTING NEW CUSTOMERS!?

I signed up on May 21st and paid for a 3 month subscription. The $60 charge went through on my card.

I e-mailed May 25th to inquire when my first box will be. I figured it would be June but my account said last box is July, meaning I would be getting May, June, July.

They replied less than 24 hours later (May 26th) saying I would be getting the May box since my order was created in May.

At least I won't have any problems disputing the charge. It's not like much time has gone by!

The reason they're accepting new customers is (probably) because they have outstanding debts and they can use the money from new orders to pay off creditors.  Then, when they go out of business, they can try their luck with people not filing chargebacks before the deadline has passed. 

Someone posted this photo on Facebook. Looks like we may be being "glymmed" again.

Originally Posted by lgandab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It looks like Glossybox Canada might be going out of business?  There's nothing but silence on Facebook...  I can't believe another one is going down already!
I hope not......

I'm not subbed anymore since Dec 2012, but they also do not want my business (LOL) and banned me from their Facebook page.

-apparently if you post things that are not in favour of Glossybox and even mention Glossybox US they will ban you (which is crazy.....).

Also you can claim items on your credit card for up to at least a year. I have been able to do that as my glymm sub was bought last Oct 2012.

You just have to try and be persistent enough, most people prob just look at the written rules and don't bother- which is what the CC company hopes most people will do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glossybox Canada also had a lot of issues in Dec 2012, Jan 2013 and recently I think?

That kind of makes me think they might have some supply issues with the Canadian boxes.

Really not sure why, as the US Glossybox looks amazing all the time.

I hope not...... I'm not subbed anymore since Dec 2012, but they also do not want my business (LOL) and banned me from their Facebook page. -apparently if you post things that are not in favour of Glossybox and even mention Glossybox US they will ban you (which is crazy.....). Also you can claim items on your credit card for up to at least a year. I have been able to do that as my glymm sub was bought last Oct 2012. You just have to try and be persistent enough, most people prob just look at the written rules and don't bother- which is what the CC company hopes most people will do. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Glossybox Canada also had a lot of issues in Dec 2012, Jan 2013 and recently I think? That kind of makes me think they might have some supply issues with the Canadian boxes. Really not sure why, as the US Glossybox looks amazing all the time.
I agree about the US glossybox, it always seems to have higher end stuff too, and doesn't look like they went shopping at Walmart.

Originally Posted by EmGee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They have been out of those boxes for a while now. I tried to get one.

They do have some decent deals though.
I posted that on April 25th, the day the e-mails went out to all us bloggers. This thread has been inactive for a while until the Glossybox fiasco started the other day!

Originally Posted by Rubyriot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Someone posted this photo on Facebook.

Looks like we may be being "glymmed" again.
I got a copy of this e-mail from someone and referenced it when dealing with my credit card company. They said I can file a dispute for non-receipt of goods 14 days after payment, which would be June 5th because I just signed up last week! Bad timing.

Lisa Kisber, the former face of Glossybox in Canada, is pretty much denying anything to do with the mess.  I find this rather odd as apparently she also works in a consulting role for her family business which specializes in liquidations.  Surely a lawyer with expertise in liquidations (which probably explains all that discontinued crap in the boxes in December!) would know the warning signs of a company going out of business.  I also just saw on Twitter that the former CEO of Glossybox (Andrew Tischler) said that he worked for Glossybox.ca while it was undergoing a consolidation into a North America-wide firm.  This is in line with what Lisa Kisber said about Glossybox.com taking over Glossybox.ca but Glossybox.com is denying this.  Unlike with Glymm, which was registered directly to Paul Fournier, it's harder to trace Glossybox.ca operations (especially recent operations after the "consolidation" overseen by Tischler) back to any individual.  I do know Glossybox originated in Europe, so if local operations are licensees or franchisees the German offices might be able to shed some light on what's going on.

What a mess! Doesn't look good. I dropped my subscription to Glossy when the price increased but I feel so bad for the people still subscribed. I hope people get their money back. It's a shame to see this happen again so soon after Glymm.

I received an email stating that glossybox canada is out of business. They said they would be refunding all the unsent boxes (including may). I'm sad to see them go as we used almost every item or passed it on to someone.

Just letting everyone know Glossybox Canada posted an official statement on their face book page. They also sent out emails this morning. 

Check out Glossybox Facebook page. I think I just cycled through a full wheel of emotions and now I'm at loss for words. I did leave a response (Olivyah Martini) directly to them, that's still at the top. I also posted lower down in reply to another individual (I might have gotten caught up in the heat of the moment...? I wont be surprised if it gets taken down). I can't believe some of the other comments I read. I then posted these sentiments on my own wall when I shared Glossybox's update:

After Glymm & then this - I think I'm starting to deal with the shock now that I'm past my initial intense reaction. Everyone seems so forgiving and I don't understand how they went from flaming the Glossybox page to "I'll miss you" (not actually feeling that, but posting their support). My heart goes out to everyone else in this mess too. We'll see what happens with the refunds, please let me know if you've gotten yours. 

For me I was just happy to (finally) have an answer. I was month to month so my refund will be $21. If I had a year subscription I'd be more worried. I hope I don't sound unconcerned. I learned my lesson with glymm and stick with month to month as that is the amount of $ I'm willing to risk.

Originally Posted by lgandab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lisa Kisber, the former face of Glossybox in Canada, is pretty much denying anything to do with the mess.  I find this rather odd as apparently she also works in a consulting role for her family business which specializes in liquidations.  Surely a lawyer with expertise in liquidations (which probably explains all that discontinued crap in the boxes in December!) would know the warning signs of a company going out of business.  I also just saw on Twitter that the former CEO of Glossybox (Andrew Tischler) said that he worked for Glossybox.ca while it was undergoing a consolidation into a North America-wide firm.  This is in line with what Lisa Kisber said about Glossybox.com taking over Glossybox.ca but Glossybox.com is denying this.  Unlike with Glymm, which was registered directly to Paul Fournier, it's harder to trace Glossybox.ca operations (especially recent operations after the "consolidation" overseen by Tischler) back to any individual.  I do know Glossybox originated in Europe, so if local operations are licensees or franchisees the German offices might be able to shed some light on what's going on.

Well,

that might explain why they had so many products that were only sold at liquidation places in their Dec and Jan and some earlier boxes too.

*I also noticed that many times before the Dec issues I would look up some product and it had a strange "not for retail" size that when I looked it up it would only be found on some clearance sites.

Mostly stuff like Dove body wash, maybe deodorants? and mostly drugstore stuff.

I am also surprised "they" kept the Revlon logo on their site after Revlon sent out a letter stating they have never provided product or sponsored anything with Glossybox Canada.

Considering she is supposed to be a lawyer that is a pretty big oversight.

*I also tried to find out if my Stepfather knew anything about Paul Fournier and he did not know anything about him.

My Stepfather knows a lot of business people in Montreal (and North America) as he used to manage the Caisse de Depot and other financial things.

After Glymm & then this - I think I'm starting to deal with the shock now that I'm past my initial intense reaction. Everyone seems so forgiving and I don't understand how they went from flaming the Glossybox page to "I'll miss you" (not actually feeling that, but posting their support). My heart goes out to everyone else in this mess too. We'll see what happens with the refunds, please let me know if you've gotten yours. 
I'm curious about the refunds too. It's all well and good to say it. Though if they closed up shop without actually going bankrupt that might be the difference from glymm. Glossy's fb fans have always been crazy supportive. The "value" of the box might have been good but it was never the higher end brands advertised, except maybe the first box. But if you commented about it, you got attacked. I didnt mind glossy so much when it was$15 but I could buy a lot of makeup/ drugstore brands for $252 a year and they got worse after the increase(IMO). Glymm did me the favor of canceling my subscription and not resubscribing me when they had the nail polish promotion. I took it as a sign I had too many beauty boxes and never bothered following up since I wasn't charged.

Originally Posted by Antharenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm curious about the refunds too. It's all well and good to say it. Though if they closed up shop without actually going bankrupt that might be the difference from glymm.

Glossy's fb fans have always been crazy supportive. The "value" of the box might have been good but it was never the higher end brands advertised, except maybe the first box. But if you commented about it, you got attacked. I didnt mind glossy so much when it was$15 but I could buy a lot of makeup/ drugstore brands for $252 a year and they got worse after the increase(IMO).

Glymm did me the favor of canceling my subscription and not resubscribing me when they had  nail polish promotion. I took it as a sign I had too many beauty boxes and never bothered following up since I wasn't charged.
Or they ban you from their FB page for posting comments that do not reflect positively on the image of Glossybox.

They have a whole whack of rules they want you to abide by and one of them is you can not post about their "competitors" and once someone posted about Glossybox US and apparently got banned for that.

I'm just surprised more people did not question where Glossy Canada gets its products from.

I do not want some kind of items that come from a liquidation that could be quite old and may or may not even be a authentic product.

If I really want excess stock items I can just get them from a reputable place- the dept store I shop at usually gives away tons of unused "testers" on some special event days.

The only thing I will miss from Glossybox is the unboxing for Canadians. But the US ones are always more fun to watch anyways!

Is anyone going to wait for a refund or are you going a head with a credit card dispute?? I'm not sure what to do.

Back