Cheap makeup??? a turn off??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem with cheap anything -- I wore drugstore foundation, concealor, and powder for several years (mostly L'Oreal products). Now I will admit there are definitely some poor-quality products out there, but not all of them are bad. I have oily, acne-prone skin, but didn't have any problems with makeup that was labeled "noncomedogenic", "won't clog pores", etc. (Despite the fact that my dermatologist told me that Prescriptives was THE only brand that was truly noncomedogenic!) My biggest complaint about drugstore face makeup is that most brands don't make a color pale enough for me! And while I thought that L'Oreal foundation matched at the time, looking back I can see that even though it was pale, it must have had the wrong undertones or something because it still didn't look quite right ....

Right now I am using mineral makeup just because the brand I'm using (Aromaleigh) is THE only brand that actually matches my skintone! If you find you don't like drugstore foundations, there are several mineral makeup brands with comparable prices, like Everyday Minerals ("EDM") which is popular on this site...

glad you found a foundation that matches your skin tone.. i have not... up till today, im still mixing 2 shades of colours to get my perfect shade:rotfl:

I've tried revlon before-- but I dunno, I wasn't happy but I didn't break out though. but I guess its a psychological thing for me :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

neutrogena foundation is just horrible-- horrible *shakes head*

I've found my partner with mineral foundation :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wau, girls! You are so courageus !

I would never never could afford myself go to sleep without taking my make up of, no matter how tired I was. I think I`ve suffered enough from acne problems when I was in my teen ages , just to take such a risk instead of 5 minutes skin care routine!?

As for the "cheap" brands, I`m not sure. I quess it all depends on your skin`s sensitivity. For me, personally, a good foundation is a high priority. I could use some nail polisher or a lipstick from the chiper brand such as Revlon`s, for instance. But, the Revlon`s foundation has already caused me the skin breakout before (not the 'colourstay' though), so I don`t think I would ever turn to them again when looking for a good foundation.

the main gripe I have with drugstore brands is the horrible packaging. I do have a few bits from Maybelline, L'Oreal ect but I will always buy high end foundation.

i dont like drug store mu because the package suxs and its hard to test befor you buy, i have ended up with larg amounts that i open and didnt like on me. i def have to test befor i buy mu.

and i dont like the shades of drugstore foundation either and the smell

well.. revlon is all right for me... even thought they are ds brands... but what abput the cheapest ds brand?? like wet and wild and stuff

To me, ingredients matter more then brand. Before my allergies were so bad, I did buy inexpensive makeup sometimes to try out a new color or look to see if I liked it before buying department store brands. Sometimes the lower cost stuff worked out so well I kept using it.

I wear Bare mineral makeup. My face is soo bad with cheap foundation.I also don't wear cheap e/s unless its NYX thats it.

Well, I was watching TV yesterday and a makeup editor said that sometimes when you buy department store products you're just buying the service, that actually some department store brands make drugstore brand products, like Lancome makes Loreal,and that makeup artists choose Revlon's powder over Mac's, but still I like to splurge on certain things like foundations, but I'll confess I have Maybelline mascaras and I love them!!!!

Well, i too have no problem with cheap anything

as long as it works for me...i'm happy!

I have an issue finding the right foundation colour...when i tellyou i travelled without make up to counters and they kept giving me foundation that was too red or dark or light.. i nearly wanted to cry. I thought to myself.. i have to buy several foundations again to get one that will work for me

during this time.. i walked to Duane reade and thought..let me get somethign here in trh meantime...i found Black Radiance...can i just say..its EXACTLY my colouring and the texture is perfect and everyone..EVERYONE compliments me on my face! And when i break the news that this jewel cost me a whopping $3.29!! I buy all the bottle everytime i find it b/c not all pharmacy's carry it.

I also like to recommend some mascara from drugstores..XXL lash is my all time fave...but i will never leave my Perscriptives Lash envy..but if i want to change it up...i know where i'm going

My teacher in college told me how most brands are made from the same factory but different packaging...that changed my mind about drugstore brands forever

I actually like cheaper brand eyeshadows (Milani) but foundations and blushes from the drugstore have never worked for me. Either the colour was way off or I broke out from it.

I don't look at price...whatever works for me and makes me happy, I'd buy it. My makeup collection contains anything as cheap as $1.00 eyeshadow to $60 foundation.

I will buy some Revlon or Loreal sometimes, but absolutely avoid anything else low end. I just don't like the quality. Some are decent, but when compared to high end it gets more noticeable where the cheap brands are cutting costs. Drugstore brands tend to be less pigmented and feel less silky and smooth on the skin. They don't seem to wear as well, and their fragrance tends to be NASTY (to me). I prefer MMU, but when I go for traditional stuff I try to avoid the ultra cheap brands. I will NOT EVER buy expensive mascara though, too short of a shelf life and some cheap brands really do rock!

I always wonder about that too. I use everything high end, except mascara, eyeliner, and maybe some lip liner.

Mascara are suppose to be thrown out after a month old or something. I think its a waste of money to spent $12+ on a mascara that I will throw out in a month or so. So I use like Maybelline mascara, liner, etc... But foundation, shadows, blush, and everything else I stick to the high end.

it kinda depends on what it is.

like nailpolish i honestly could care less what brand it is.

i figure, as long as the product works good, im not picky where it came from.

All foundation, high end or low end had made me break out (except for mineral makeup which I use now). I'm just never satisfied with drug store eyeshadows, never the right consistency or color payoff. I do have a few cheapie eyeliners though which are pretty great.

i`ve heard enough about mmu....... i want to try it..!! i want to!!!argh! the only brand we have here is splash mineral makeup.. and they dont have my colour.. argh:sleepyhead:

I've taken a marketing class and this is what I was told as well. Most off brand products of all sorts are made by the brand name companies. They are just targeting another market.

Back