Clarisonic ~ Worth It?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@@MissJexie I looooove my clarisonic, my face is much cleaner and I feel like it's 100% worth it. If mine broke today, I'd cry, then run out and get another one. BUT I didn't find it cleared my clogged pores, I needed a liquid exfoliatior for that. 

Also I purchased one for my mom, but the 3 months with the same brush head grossed her out and she returned it to Sephora no problem. I would purchase from a place you can return if you are really on the fence. 

I agree with @@SaraP that if you are on the fence about buying, get one from Sephora, or somewhere else with a good return policy. I tried a Clarisonic out for a couple of months and it made absolutely no difference in my skin - didn't make it worse, didn't make it better. So I returned it.

For me, personally, it's not worth the price. But since not everyone shares that opinion, the best thing would be to try it out for yourself!

I agree with @@SaraP that if you are on the fence about buying, get one from Sephora, or somewhere else with a good return policy. I tried a Clarisonic out for a couple of months and it made absolutely no difference in my skin - didn't make it worse, didn't make it better. So I returned it.

For me, personally, it's not worth the price. But since not everyone shares that opinion, the best thing would be to try it out for yourself!

Obviously it wasnt a spiritual encounter or a miracle with my clarisonic, but I found it gentler than most scrubs. Plus, I didnt have to buy 740921701x exfoliators for the next couple of months. Definitely not wallet friendly but the sonar system impressed me. @@Shalott is right, probably a trial period would be the best option.

I just bought one yesterday. So far I absolutely love it. After using it with my normal cleansers, my skin actually felt a whole lot smoother than when I had cleansed by hand. I also feel like my face was a bit less oily as the day progressed.. However, I do think I'll have to use it for at least a month to really see if there are any long term improvements, but thus far I am happy with it.

I just remember back in the 70s there was a product called the Skin Machine, it wrecked most people's skin. I have extremely sensitive, reactive skin and do not trust such devices.

I actually stopped using it for a whole month. I love it but I wanted to see if it really made a difference. I hear so many negative reviews that I was beginning to question it. I used it for the first time in a month last night and nothing makes my skin this smooth. I remember why I like it some much. I had been exfoliating every other day and I still noticed more from this one use. Not using it for a month makes me really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never used one. I do use a facial scrub from Marli Skin Care 2x a week. I have no problems at all-especially with irritation. I have REALLY sensitive skin. I may look into it. 

Has anyone tried the generic brushes for their Clarisonic?  They have them on Amazon.  (Search "clarisonic brush head" and a bunch come up.)  They seem to get good reviews.  Wonder how different they are from the brand-name ones?

Has anyone tried the Magnitone at all? Incidentally I've been looking into Clarisonic all weekend butthey're out of my budget, so Olay and Magnitone popped up on some beauty blogs I was finding myself on.

So I've been wavering for years now on whether or not to buy a Clarisonic. I felt like they were ridiculously overpriced face brushes for a long time and felt like I wouldn't need one.

This past Christmas, I asked my fiance to get me one of the Olay brushes that spin rather than pulse like the Clarisonic. I used it for a couple of months and it did an OK job, but not enough to make me continue to buy the brush heads. 

I then spent a long time reading reviews on the Clarisonic, and I found myself being pulled in both directions by the equally good and bad reviews. I simply decided that since I have a very in-depth skincare routine, I wouldn't need one.

So after years of going back and forth, I somehow ended up with a LOT of Birchbox points, along with a 20% off code. I hesitantly decided to take the plunge and bought a Mia 2. I got it for absolutely nothing, so I knew that if I didn't like it, I could just sell it on ebay, or give it to someone. 

I got it at the beginning of July, and I use it every other day in the shower. I can safely say it was the greatest thing I ever did for my skin. I'm sure that not everyone will have the same results, but I didn't have a "breakout period" that people always talk about, nor did I have any horrible reactions to it. I have sensitive, combination skin, so I was fearful that the Clarisonic would just make my acne worse. I've been told by lots of skincare pros not to use it on acneic skin as it just makes your breakout worse. However that was not the case with mine.

I started using the brush that it comes with, and bought some of the acne brushes which are more gentle. My skin has never been more soft, glowy, or even-toned. My skincare products really do absorb into my skin better when I use the Clarisonic. I have spent most of my life with a constant breakout on my skin. Never in my 29 years did I have a single day where I was acne-free. Since using the Clarisonic, I only have a very occasional breakout, and it's usually very, very small. I get compliments on my skin all the time now.

I will say that I do believe that some people might have negative experiences, but I have had nothing but positive ones since getting my Clarisonic. A great way for me to buy the brush heads is to continue using my Birchbox points, as they sell 2 packs in their shop. By the time I need more brush heads, I usually have enough points to pay for them without issue. 

If you're on the fence, go to Sephora or a similar store and get one. Make sure they allow returns on them, and then take it home and try it out for yourself. I really think many people will be surprised at how wonderful their skin can be when using the Clarisonic! (sorry about the rambling raving, but I just had to share my experience! haha)

I love my Clarisonic. I should say Clarisonics. I discovered Clarisonic through Sonicare as it's a related company and technology, but more about that later. I have very sensitive red skin. I have hormonal acne and huge pores. Also, lots of sunspots. I bought the Classic, and use it every night. I didn't go through a break out period, or any other negative issues. My skin is so much softer, and the skin care products I use seem to work better. I love it so much I bought a Mia to use for travel because the charger is more portable. I love both. I know the rechargeable battery will die, and I'll have to replace the unit. I can't live without it, please forgive the hyperbole.

About the Sonicare, it does such a good job with tartar and plaque that my dentist usually doesn't give me a cleaning during my 6-month check ups because he says I don't need them I don't have anything to clean off. !!!!!!

To be fair, my Sonicare battery died and my friend gifted me an Oral-B Braun toothbrush, and I have had similar success with my dental check ups.

So I've been wavering for years now on whether or not to buy a Clarisonic. I felt like they were ridiculously overpriced face brushes for a long time and felt like I wouldn't need one.

This past Christmas, I asked my fiance to get me one of the Olay brushes that spin rather than pulse like the Clarisonic. I used it for a couple of months and it did an OK job, but not enough to make me continue to buy the brush heads. 

I then spent a long time reading reviews on the Clarisonic, and I found myself being pulled in both directions by the equally good and bad reviews. I simply decided that since I have a very in-depth skincare routine, I wouldn't need one.

So after years of going back and forth, I somehow ended up with a LOT of Birchbox points, along with a 20% off code. I hesitantly decided to take the plunge and bought a Mia 2. I got it for absolutely nothing, so I knew that if I didn't like it, I could just sell it on ebay, or give it to someone. 

I got it at the beginning of July, and I use it every other day in the shower. I can safely say it was the greatest thing I ever did for my skin. I'm sure that not everyone will have the same results, but I didn't have a "breakout period" that people always talk about, nor did I have any horrible reactions to it. I have sensitive, combination skin, so I was fearful that the Clarisonic would just make my acne worse. I've been told by lots of skincare pros not to use it on acneic skin as it just makes your breakout worse. However that was not the case with mine.

I started using the brush that it comes with, and bought some of the acne brushes which are more gentle. My skin has never been more soft, glowy, or even-toned. My skincare products really do absorb into my skin better when I use the Clarisonic. I have spent most of my life with a constant breakout on my skin. Never in my 29 years did I have a single day where I was acne-free. Since using the Clarisonic, I only have a very occasional breakout, and it's usually very, very small. I get compliments on my skin all the time now.

I will say that I do believe that some people might have negative experiences, but I have had nothing but positive ones since getting my Clarisonic. A great way for me to buy the brush heads is to continue using my Birchbox points, as they sell 2 packs in their shop. By the time I need more brush heads, I usually have enough points to pay for them without issue. 

If you're on the fence, go to Sephora or a similar store and get one. Make sure they allow returns on them, and then take it home and try it out for yourself. I really think many people will be surprised at how wonderful their skin can be when using the Clarisonic! (sorry about the rambling raving, but I just had to share my experience! haha)
This is exactly how I feel about mine. I am noticing it also helps my acne marks fade faster and I also notice less pimples since I have been using it. I currently use it a few times a week but want to start using it everyday or every other day. I was hesitant to get it at first because of my sensitive skin but it didnt make me break out or cause redness. 

I just bought one yesterday. So far I absolutely love it. After using it with my normal cleansers, my skin actually felt a whole lot smoother than when I had cleansed by hand. I also feel like my face was a bit less oily as the day progressed.. However, I do think I'll have to use it for at least a month to really see if there are any long term improvements, but thus far I am happy with it.
Same! I just got mine and I used it for the first time today... and OH MAH GAWD. My skin feels so smooth and soft. Same cleanser, same everything else... can't wait to see how it changes my skin over time. My husband is coveting it, too! I think I know what he's getting for Xmas. >.> Time to save up BB points.

Has anyone else noticed that it feels weird as hell on the nose? I mean, the inside of my nose tickled like crazy when I had the brush on the outside of it. (I don't stick my Clarisonic up my nose, despite how that sounded.)

I think the nose tickle went away after a week or so.

I have had the Plus for almost three years and love it. I hated using washcloths/cleansing cloths in the shower and needed a little more oomph than just washing by hand.

I have large easy to clog pores and this makes things so much better. In the summer I use the Murad blue tube cleanser (either anti-acne or anti-acne/anti-aging), and in the winter I stick with Bliss foaming face wash.

Hi there!

I've been using the Clarisonic since the day it came out. I have the Clarisonic Plus for face & body, although I rarely use it for the body. I feel that it is well worth the price & will never ever go a day without it. It does make a huge difference in your skin's appearance & most definitely the pore size.

My pores used to be rather large & noticeable. I just assumed it was hereditary because my mother has large pores as well. When we apply skin care & make products, it all gets trapped in out pores. Manual cleansing, no matter what cleanser you use, can not remove all of the years of build up that gets trapped in our pores. The clarisonic moves something to the effect of 300 times per second, getting deep in pores and effectively removing all of the years of build up. It is six times more effective than manual cleansing. You will notice a difference after your first use. After continued use, you will notice your pores start to shrink. I would say after a few months of use, my pores were non-existent. They shrunk back to their original size & I now have the skin I did as a child. 

The Clarisonic is very different than the other competitor's versions. First, the Clarisonic is incredibly gently on skin. It does not revolve/rotate so it does not tug on skin causing wrinkles. The Clarisoc has patented technology which means no one else can come close to its technology.

If price is holding you back, you can start off with the Mia (the travel size version) which is essentially the same as the Clarisonic Plus except for a few timing options & you can't use the Mia with the body brush (as stated before, I rarely use it on my body).

If you have acne prone skin, I've heard that some people may have flare ups in the beginning. My advice is to hang in there & keep using it. Just like after you get a facial or apply a mask, you may initially have a flare up because all of the bacteria & gunk is being released from the skin. Keep using it & your skin will clear up.

The Clarisoc also gently exfoliates the dead skin cells every time you use it. It is safe for daily use twice a day. By exfoliating the skin, & cleansing all the gunk in your pores, skin care products are able to actually absorb/penetrate into the skin rather than sitting on top of a layer of dead skin. You will notice a difference in your skin care products effectiveness, in my opinion & though my experience. 

Another thing to consider is using a gentle cleanser that doesn't strip the skin. The more you strip the skin of oil by using harsh cleansers, the more oil your skin will produce. I am currently using Philosophy's Purity Made Simple and switch off between Bare Minerals Daily Cleanser. Both cleansers are safe for the removal of eye makeup. You can even open your eyes during cleansing without irritation. When money was tight, I used to use Oil of Olay's Foaming Face Wash (sometimes I would even purchase the Walgreens, CVS, or Walmart versions) for sensitive skin. Just make sure it is the cleanser that also removes eye makeup. 

Though Clarisonic doesn't recommend using the unit on the eye area, everyone I know who uses it, including myself, cleanses their eye's with the Clarisonic. Your eyelashes don't fall out, nor does it irritate my eyes.

I purchased 2 Clarisonics. One for myself & one for my son. I purchased the 1st unit at Ulta. The second at QVC. QVC has easy pay options in which if you pay with a credit card, you can break up the payments. The unit will be delivered to you immediately, & you then continue to make monthly payments without interest. QVC also includes a bunch of accessories & additional products & the price is actually cheaper than Ulta.

Please feel invited to PM me if you have any questions. 

Thanks for your time & attention. Good Luck :)

Janice

Back